Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pub sign of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Must be my mind, at first glimpse I thought it resembled an upright c*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    LOL!
    Barbarians.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Pub Sign of the Year 2018 was announced earlier this week and the winner this year is The Lass O' Richmond Hill - a Young's pub situated just outside Richmond Park.

The photos on this site are out of date (I think there have been two new signs since the most recent PuG pictures were submitted), so for a look at the winning sign, you'll need to click here: https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...act=mrc&uact=8
    I am spending some time in the area,so popped up this afternoon to photograph this "controversial " pubsign.Just awaiting approval by a dwarf.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I am spending some time in the area,so popped up this afternoon to photograph this "controversial " pubsign.Just awaiting approval by a dwarf.
    Not exactly a personal best, but 25 minutes is not too shabby.
    Come On You Hatters!

I know you'll all have been waiting with baited breath, so you'll be relieved to hear the 2019 Pub Sign of the Year has finally been announced. This year's top award went to Travellers Joy in Rayleigh - Pete Crosby, who nominated the pub for this year's award, has posted a good shot of the sign on this site.

The runners up were Cherry Tree in Newcastle-Under-Lyme and The Quay Inn in Minehead.

Interestingly, the top two pubs are both part of Greene King's Hungry Horse chain. The chain seem to be replacing a lot of their corporate pub signs with traditional pictorial signs which, if my experience of Hungry Horse pubs is anything to go by, would make them their only redeeming feature!

Interestingly, the top two pubs are both part of Greene King's Hungry Horse chain. The chain seem to be replacing a lot of their corporate pub signs with traditional pictorial signs which, if my experience of Hungry Horse pubs is anything to go by, would make them their only redeeming feature!
    Hmm, reminiscent of Watneys painting their pubs any colour but red and removing the badging after they had trashed the brand value in the 1970s.

PS given last year's comment by Farway about The Lass o'Richmond Hill, what's going on with the Cherry Tree sign? Looks like we've got the set.
    Last edited by oldboots; 04-10-2019 at 15:02.

Nice sign, shame its not on a proper pub.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Hmm, reminiscent of Watneys painting their pubs any colour but red and removing the badging after they had trashed the brand value in the 1970s.
    I remember that well. Charrington's had their black boxes and Courage the Golden Cockerel. Didn't Ind Coope have a hand and Watney's a red barrel before they were forced into removing all identification? I can't remember what Whitbread did.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I can't remember what Whitbread did.
    Tankard and the deers head were both used.

PS I forgot the Bass red triangle, Britain’s first registered trade mark, and Charrington’s Toby jug.
    Last edited by oldboots; 04-10-2019 at 22:06.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Tankard and the deers head were both used.
    I seem to recall that Whitbread for a while retained the identity of Wethered, Strongs, Brickwoods and Fremlins (I know Wittenden will be keen to confirm this).
    I vaguely remember seeing a Threlfalls sign in North Wales way back (Caernarfon?). Perversely I now use Whitbread hotels as a base for going to other pubs! They do seem to be building up a chain if their own pub / restaurants but they are always next to their hotels. I have tried their unlimited breakfast but have found it descending into a trough of debauched gluttony.

Default Am I in a timewarp?

Pub sign of the year 2011?