Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pub sign of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I seem to recall that Whitbread for a while retained the identity of Wethered, Strongs, Brickwoods and Fremlins (I know Wittenden will be keen to confirm this).
    This was the infamous Whitbread Umbrella where they bought up shares in various breweries supposedly to protect them from hostile takeovers then took them over. Those you mention plus many others (Castle Eden, Flowers, the one in Tiverton - Knight Starkey & Ford? etc) were included, although Wethered of Marlow was owned by Strongs and were later to be called "Whitbread Wessex". A sore subject for me as I lived in Romsey when Strongs was taken over.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Pub sign of the year 2011?
    This thread was first started in 2012. You have probably seen the front page.
    Great pub sigh BTW.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Tankard and the deers head were both used.

PS I forgot the Bass red triangle, Britain’s first registered trade mark, and Charrington’s Toby jug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I seem to recall that Whitbread for a while retained the identity of Wethered, Strongs, Brickwoods and Fremlins (I know Wittenden will be keen to confirm this).
    I vaguely remember seeing a Threlfalls sign in North Wales way back (Caernarfon?). Perversely I now use Whitbread hotels as a base for going to other pubs! They do seem to be building up a chain if their own pub / restaurants but they are always next to their hotels. I have tried their unlimited breakfast but have found it descending into a trough of debauched gluttony.
    You can reminisce here: http://www.breweryhistory.com/Defunct/DefunctIndex.htm

I'm sure the BHS would love to hear of any omissions or changes should you wish to submit them - I've sent in loads for the London section under the abbreviation of TrC.

After a suspension of the award in 2020, the Pub Sign of the Year for 2021 has now been announced. In the sort of tense and dramatic finish that's become synonymous with this award, things ended in a tie this year, requiring the Chairman's casting vote to seal a win for The Jolly Postie in Royston. There's a good picture of the sign on PuG from Pete Crosby.

Unfortunately, the ever unhelpful Inn Sign Society website named the runners up as The Barley Mow and The Grandstand, but failed to mention where these pubs are so I've no idea if this the Jolly Postie was a worthy winner.

And before anyone mentions it, yes, I know the title of this thread is 'Pub Sign of the Year 2011' - I can't edit it and don't want to create a new thread every year!

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    After a suspension of the award in 2020, the Pub Sign of the Year for 2021 has now been announced. In the sort of tense and dramatic finish that's become synonymous with this award, things ended in a tie this year, requiring the Chairman's casting vote to seal a win for The Jolly Postie in Royston. There's a good picture of the sign on PuG from Pete Crosby.

Unfortunately, the ever unhelpful Inn Sign Society website named the runners up as The Barley Mow and The Grandstand, but failed to mention where these pubs are so I've no idea if this the Jolly Postie was a worthy winner.

And before anyone mentions it, yes, I know the title of this thread is 'Pub Sign of the Year 2011' - I can't edit it and don't want to create a new thread every year!
    Thanks for the update. There are only four Grandstands listed on this site (one of them closed), and none of them look very likely at first glance. (I'm not going to search for pubs called the Barley Mow!)
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Thanks for the update. There are only four Grandstands listed on this site (one of them closed), and none of them look very likely at first glance. (I'm not going to search for pubs called the Barley Mow!)
    Yes, I did take a quick look at the Grandstands listed on the site. I think the most likely contender is the one in Hereford - the Hungry Horse chain have been replacing their generic corporate signs for proper traditional signs (shame this practise hasn't extended to the pubs themselves!) and they have a blurry picture of such a sign on their Facebook profile - https://www.facebook.com/grandstand.hungryhorse/ Can't be 100% sure though.

The Barley Mow requires even more guesswork but after much digging, I'm reasonably confident it is this place: https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35667/

Not anymore it isn't
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Not anymore it isn't

This Space For Hire

For once a well deserved winner of the award.Superb imo.

Yes, I did take a quick look at the Grandstands listed on the site. I think the most likely contender is the one in Hereford - the Hungry Horse chain have been replacing their generic corporate signs for proper traditional signs (shame this practise hasn't extended to the pubs themselves!) and they have a blurry picture of such a sign on their Facebook profile - https://www.facebook.com/grandstand.hungryhorse/ Can't be 100% sure though.
    Yes, if forced to have a bet I'd have gone for that one for the same reason, except I didn't get as far as Facebook! But why on earth don't the Inn Sign Society give a full list of results? Plonkers.
    Come On You Hatters!