PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 29th January 2012)

ROBCamra
24-01-2012, 09:40
Wittenden: Shepeard Neame Masterbrew
Thuck Phat: Oakham Preacher (twice) ;)
Oggwyn Trench: Pictish Alchemists Ale
Spinko: Jorvik Blonde
gillhalfpint: Moor Sloe Walker
Bucking Fastard: Dark Star Revelation
Quinno: Cross Bay Nightfall
Pubsignman: Thornbridge Pica Pica
aleandhearty: Summer Wine Origin Pale Ale
ROBCamra: Beer Works (Abbeydale) Dr. Morton's Snake Oil
RogerB: Adnams Sole Star

gillhalfpint
24-01-2012, 10:47
Just thinking where this week's BOTW might come from. Not out till Thursday when going into Birmingham and we will be doing the Lamp Tavern, Anchor Burns fest, Post Office Vaults and Wellington January fest. Might get one somewhere there.

Or how about this weekend's trip to Weston. Will be looking at half a dozen pubs along the front on Friday that haven't had reviews yet so don't expect to find any there - may get a suprise venturing into the unknown though, and will get to the GBG pubs hopefully when we sneak out of our non real ale hotel entertainment on Saturday night for a quick one. But the highlight will be our Saturday trip out to Bristol. Hopeful for something there.

ROBCamra
25-01-2012, 15:24
Decent start to the drinking week in The Baum last night.

Ilkley Lotus IPA & Triple AAA
Phoenix Pale Moonlight
Salopian Sienna
Dark Star Partridge

plus

Green Mill Citrus Snap
Nobbys Guilsborough Gold

not tried last night as I've had them before.

The Salopian Sienna is winning so far. :cheers:

rpadam
25-01-2012, 22:26
Gill made Black Isle Chilli Porter her BOTW shortly before Christmas, and on a similar theme I might nominate the rather extraordinary Chilli Reekie, a 6.2% chilli pepper version of the Auld Reekie stout from the always excellent Stewart Brewing, that I encountered yesterday walking around the self-proclaimed 'Athens of the North'. Quite warmed one up on a cold winter day, but I could only manage a half, mind you...

Spinko
27-01-2012, 10:16
At the moment it's Magic Rock High Wire closely followed by the same brewer's Curious..both sampled in the Sheffield Tap. River Leven - Blonde was also tasty in The Anchor in Digbeth during their Scottish beer Festival.

Oggwyn Trench
28-01-2012, 17:57
The Station are doing a series of single Brewery weeks this month , starting with Pictish this week and White Rose next week , so all last nights beers were from Pictish

Nugget
Apollo
Glacier
Citra
Simcoe
Alchemists Ale

Alchemists Ale just shading it at the moment

Wittenden
28-01-2012, 22:23
For the last few weeks I’ve only been to my local Sheps’ pub, and have increasingly enjoyed good old Master Brew. OK, it’s not exciting, and won’t blow anyone’s socks off, but when it’s on form , as it was this afternoon,it is deliciously bittersweet and comforting.

Thuck Phat
29-01-2012, 12:39
Limited choice again this week:

Coach House Brewing - Cheshire Gold
Oakham - Preacher
Oakham - Bishops Farewell

Both the Oakham ales were, as ever, excellent with BOTW being Oakham Preacher. At 4.3% this doesn't have the hoppy hit of Bishops and looks like a best bitter but there is that delightful citrus and dry finish that typifies Oakham beers.

Thuck Phat
29-01-2012, 12:42
Limited choice again this week:

Coach House Brewing - Cheshire Gold
Oakham - Bishops Farewell
Oakham - Preacher

As ever, both the Oakham ale were excellent with BOTW being Oakham Preacher. At 4.3% this doesn't have the hoppy hit of Bishops and looks like a best bitter but with the citrus and dry finish typical of Oakham beers.

Oggwyn Trench
29-01-2012, 13:30
Only managed a few pints of Black Sheep last night so BOTW is Pictish - Alchemists Ale

Spinko
29-01-2012, 14:25
At the moment it's Magic Rock High Wire closely followed by the same brewer's Curious..both sampled in the Sheffield Tap. River Leven - Blonde was also tasty in The Anchor in Digbeth during their Scottish beer Festival.

Jorvik - Blonde will be mine of the week, a first for me as this one came from a Wetherspoons (Becketts' Bank)! Some tough competition as well with York Guzzler and Stone IPA being really good in Foley's, and Maui Strong Ale in North.

gillhalfpint
29-01-2012, 17:20
We have had loads of good beer with the fests and the excellent trip into Bristol, and one of the dark beers wins it for us. Chose it before looking at the ABV, and it was the only beer we had 2 of.

Moor Sloe Walker 8% from the Seven Stars in Bristol. CAMRA discount too.

Bucking Fastard
29-01-2012, 18:03
My laptop may have died so trying to post using the Crackberry .Botw was Dark Star Revelation in the Craft Beer Co .Up against red hot competition from Magic Rock Dark Arts and Redemption Big Chief but DS just nicked it

Quinno
29-01-2012, 23:32
A toss-up between two in Luton, earlier this week.

Cross Bay Nightfall at The Black Horse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61696/)

and

Leeds New Moon at The English Rose (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54811/)

Tough call...Cross Bay Nightfall squeaks it...very close though. :nishelypished::drinkup:

Pubsignman
30-01-2012, 13:04
Had a very good weekend with a beer festival at the Royal Standard, Croydon on Friday, a crawl around Chesterfield on Saturday and a Victoria to Euston crawl on the Sunday. This turned up loads of good beer including Oakham Citra, Kelham Island Easy Rider, Dark Star Revelation, Durham Magus, Magic Rock Curious, Summer Wine Diablo IPA and Brewdog 5am Saint.

Three dark beers stood out this week - Leatherbritches Scoundrel, Thornbridge Pica Pica and Raw Black Ghost IPA. Really enjoyed all three of them, but the Thornbridge just about pips the other two.

aleandhearty
30-01-2012, 13:36
Having had five weeks off the sauce, for various reasons, I certainly enjoyed sampling a few in Veritas, Mr Foley's and the Fernandes Tap. Tried the following:

Ilkley - Lotus IPA.
Harviestoun - Haggis Hunter.
Thwaites - Tavern Porter.
Summer Wine Brewery - Origin Pale Ale.
Red Willow - Wreckless.
WharfeBank - Mad George Porter.
Magic Rock - Dark Arts.
Fernandes - Perle.
Fernandes - Great Northern.
Fernandes - Vanilla Porter.
Oakham - Scarlet Macaw.
Ossett - Yorkshire Blonde.
Timothy Taylor - Golden Best.

Some fine beers there, but in the end it was between the Scarlet Macaw and the Origin, with the latter just shading it.

ROBCamra
30-01-2012, 15:26
Only managed a few pints of Black Sheep last night so BOTW is Pictish - Alchemists Ale

You're only saying that to annoy me aren't you Oggy? You know Mr Sutton won't sell in his home town. :muppet:

A strong rumour (from Richard's mum) is that the brewery may well go up for sale soon.

I might buy it and refuse to deliver to The Station. :p

Oggwyn Trench
30-01-2012, 18:13
You're only saying that to annoy me aren't you Oggy? You know Mr Sutton won't sell in his home town. :muppet:

A strong rumour (from Richard's mum) is that the brewery may well go up for sale soon.

I might buy it and refuse to deliver to The Station. :p

Strange situation , then again reading some of his letters when some of the locals tried to twin the Station with the Brewery he has an evil sense of humour

Pictish week was meant to start on Thursday , but the regulars were so keen to get the Pictish on they drank the cellar dry by Monday:eek::drinkup::nishelypished: so it started on Tuesday

ROBCamra
01-02-2012, 13:28
After a trip round some of Manchesters lesser lights on Friday the only beer that came close was Kelham Island Blondie Beer tried (again) in The Paramount (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55829/)

A gem amongst JDWs, not for the decor, but for the beer range and quality of staff.

BOTW is going to go to Beer Works Dr. Morton's Snake Oil tried in The Baum (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55901/).

Another silly name from Abbeydale but a very good beer. :cheers:

RogerB
01-02-2012, 13:52
Going for an unusual choice this week. Adnams Sole Star at Tapping the Admiral in Camden. Not a big fan of the main Adnams duo (Bitter and Broadside) but some of their other beers on in the lesser known range are pretty good and I was quite surprised at how much body and flavour this one had for a 2.7% beer. Also had their Spiced Winter Beer in the same pub which run it clsoe.

Alesonly
04-02-2012, 21:21
Late entry for last weeks Beer of the week Jennings Sneck Lifter from a limited few Beers.

Old Blue
06-02-2012, 08:41
Not a lot this week:
Itchen Valley – Treacle Stout
H&W – Tanglefoot
Harvey’s – Sussex Best
Dark Star – Winter Solstice
Dark Star – Old Chestnut
Ascot – Penguin Porter
DarkStar gets it again with Winter Solstice, drunk in the Three Horseshoes inSidlow