PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 22nd January 2012)

ROBCamra
17-01-2012, 07:57
Well it's the National Winter Ales Fest in Manchester starting tomorrow, so hopefully some good new ales. :cheers:

Oggwyn Trench: Derby 30 Hop Drop
Spinko: Thornbridge Kipling
gillhalfpint: Robinsons Long Kiss Goodnight
Alesonly: Titanic Full Steam Ahead
Bucking Fastard: Oakham Scarlet Macaw
Quinno: Butts Barbus Barbus
PaulOfHorsham: Twickenham Naked Ladies
oldboots: Rudgate Ruby Mild
Pubsignman: Dark Star Revelation
Thuck Phat: Dark Star Partridge
ROBCamra: Wilson Potter The Light
RogerB: St Austell H.S.D.

gillhalfpint
17-01-2012, 08:39
We will be at NWAF on Thursday and Friday. Saturday may do the pubs (Smithfield, Crown & Kettle, Bar Fringe, Angel, Marble) and New Oxford in Salford where there is a beer fest too, depends on weather etc.

ROBCamra
18-01-2012, 10:42
A few decent pints in The Baum last night.

Kelham Island Blonde (again).
Green Mill Flavia
Jennings Soggy Bottom
Ossett Winter IPA

and the current leader York Dark Knight. Black as the Ace Of Spades with a coffee and caramel smoothness. :love:

ROBCamra
19-01-2012, 14:47
Lots of reasonable dark and chewy beers yesterday at the Winter Ales Festival, but to be honest after a while they all seemed to merge together. :o

I think my favourite beer of the day was Wilson Potter The Light tried in THe Angel on the way to the festival. :drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
22-01-2012, 09:39
Resonable session last night , only four beers tried though

Kelham Island - Blonde
Oakleaf - Pompey Royal
Derby - 30 Hop Drop
Worthington - White Shield

Hard choice between the Blonde and 30 Hop Drop , but i think the Derby - 30 Hop Drop just shades it
BOTW Derby - 30 Hop Drop

Also had a try of Oakleaf - I cant believe its not bitter , cask lager , OK for a lager but still a lager

Spinko
22-01-2012, 10:50
Had a couple of excellent Abbeydale beers in Sheffield over the weekend but I can't remember the names of the beers. So it'll have to be one from Foley's in Leeds.

Thornbridge - Kipling

gillhalfpint
22-01-2012, 11:26
Plenty of good beers around in Manchester and Salford over the past 3 days that I could name on here, but my BOTW is going to be Robinsons Long Kiss Goodnight from NWAF. Only 3.9% but packed with flavour.

Alesonly
22-01-2012, 18:30
I Only had Time for a few Beers this week as Ive been working.

TITANIC FULL STEAM AHEAD
CALEDONIAN 80/-
HARVIESTOUN BITTER & TWISTED
But I will go for the Titanic Full Steam Ahead as my Ale of the week.

Bucking Fastard
22-01-2012, 18:42
Just about the only pint during the week,but a good one ,was Oakham Scarlet Macaw which is therefore my BOTW from The Mermaid ,St Albans which is a good pub.The Scarlet Macaw had the characteristic grapefuit bitterness typical of Oakham ales but with a subtle fruit sweetness thrown in,if that doesn't sound too pretentious:muppet:

First trip to Craft Beer Co this coming Friday,so I will have a few more contenders next week.

Quinno
22-01-2012, 21:23
A return to form of the scrummy Butts Barbus Barbus at the Nags, with Red Squirrel Old and Binghams Old not far behind.

PaulOfHorsham
22-01-2012, 22:12
A couple of pubs this week (not new ones, though - I can't compete in that thread). In the Harp, I enjoyed Twickenham 'Naked Ladies' - not a fan of the name, but a good drinkable blonde beer. Also, Dark Star 'Smoked Porter' - the smoke element is sufficiently subdued.

In The Partridge (Dark Star brewery tap), I tried Thornbridge / Dark Star 'Puja' (6.7%) - Juniper IPA, if I remember rightly (and I may not). As New World hoppy as you'd expect but I found it just a little too sweet for my liking - should just have had a half.

So, BOTW, then: Twickenham 'Naked Ladies'.

Pubsignman
23-01-2012, 10:22
I had a good pint of Twickenham Naked Ladies as well, but it wasn't as good as the Dark Star Revelation enjoyed in the George, Croydon.

Other contenders were Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons and Salopian Shropshire Gold.

Thuck Phat
23-01-2012, 11:50
Three top beers this week:
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Oakham Preacher
Dark Star Partridge

All were tip top but I don't often have the opportunity to drink their fine ales so BOTW is Dark Star Partridge.

trainman
23-01-2012, 14:10
In The Partridge (Dark Star brewery tap)...
Oh! We toured the other 3 Dark-Star owned pubs one day last year; I guess I'm gonna have to do it all again now to incorporate this one.
It's a dirty job, but...

... it wasn't as good as the Dark Star Revelation enjoyed in the George, Croydon.

D'oh! I almost headed that way yesterday. Mind, I suppose it will feature regularly on the rear bar.

oldboots
23-01-2012, 16:39
A quiet week for me, Salopian Shropshire Gold is an unusual find in Yorkshire and it was as good as I remember in Shrewsbury but my BOTW is former Champion Beer of Britain Rudgate Ruby Mild enjoyed on a short pub crawl of Nidderdale.

ROBCamra
24-01-2012, 09:38
I also had a pint of Dark Star Partridge but I wasn't particularly impressed.

Mind you I'd had a real hopbomb just before it came on the bar, so hopefully it'll still be on the bar tonight to give it another chance.

Ossett Yorkshire Blonde did its usual great job of being a really tasty 3.9%er.

Ilkley Triple AAA didn't really do it for me at all either.

I think I'm going to stick with Wilson Potter The Light tried in The Angel Manchester as BOTW. :cheers:

RogerB
24-01-2012, 12:46
Much of my week's intake was on my trip to Newquay/Padstow which generally means the usual run of Cornish Beers. Chalked up Tribute, HSD, Cornish Knocker, Betty Stogs, Trelawny, Proper Job, HSD and, of course Doom Bar although I managed to limit the last one to just the 2 pints over 4 days. Found a couple of Tintagel beers (Cornish Pride & Castle Gold) and had a brace of Chalkys Bite & Bark in Rick Steins (well you just have to). A couple of 'Spoons was pretty much the only place selling anything beyond the Cornish stuff but nothing particularly stood out so I'll opt for the St Austell H.S.D. which we found in several places including the Falcon at St Merryn, the London Inn & Shipwrights Arms in Padstow and the Central in Newquay.

Old Blue
06-02-2012, 08:39
A cracking week, much assisted by aweekend in Canterbury
Twickenham – Original
Sharps- Own
Inveralmond – Independence
Twickenham – Naked Ladies
Wold Top - Wold Gold
Wantsum – Turbulent Priest
Sheps – Amber Ale
Black Sheep – Ruddy Ram
Canterbury – Biggleston Brown Ale
Hopdaemon – Incubus
Elgood – Black Dog
Caledonian - Flying Scotsman
Gadds - No 5
Milestone - Lions Pride
Hopdaemon - Golden Braid
Witcap-Pater Stimulo
Chimay
Delirium Tremens
Delirium Red
Batemans – Winter Wellie
Skinners – Betty Stogs
Cottage – Golden Arrow
Quitea few of these could be BOTWs in other weeks, but Hopdaemon Incubus, drunk inthe Black Griffin, just edges it this time.