PDA

View Full Version : New pubs visited 2012

Pages : [1] 2

Delboy20
11-01-2012, 19:31
There seem to be a few of us with personal missions to visit new pubs so I thought it might be worth a thread that we can update through the year.

I will start with 8 clocked up so far.

Not a bad start for the first week of the year !!

Del.

Strongers
11-01-2012, 19:51
I'm on 29 for the year so far as the beer gods havelooked upon me very favourably indeed. I’m sure it’ll not last though as I canfeel the clouds of sobriety amassing in my wallet.

Rex_Rattus
11-01-2012, 21:12
I have a continuing mission to boldly go where no man has gone before........ But no specific set targets for the year, although I would like to get to 200 pubs hitherto not reviewed by yours truly. I quite like to go to pubs that nobody has so far reviewed - virgin pubs as it were - sometimes I see these as some sort of magical mystery tour. But, like Strongers I'm sure, I do end up in pubs that are anything but magical!

Anyway, I've clocked up 9 new pubs so far, 5 of which were "virgins". Not in the same league as Strongers, but a reasonable start to the year.

Quinno
11-01-2012, 21:43
To avoid me falling into OCD pit, I will take things as they come this year. Though with my footy trips with Roger, I suspect there'll be a fair few coming...:nishelypished::nishelypished::nishelypis hed:

ETA
12-01-2012, 06:35
Now we get into definitons - of the 12 pubs I've visited so far this year, 10 are new in that I haven't previously reviewed them, while only 9 are new in that I haven't been in them before.

As far as OCD tendencies go, the only lists I follow are GBG as a first off, then JDW to use the vouchers (trying to clock up 44 pints in JDWs to get my CAMRA sub back - same logic that Mrs A uses when she buys stuff in the sales that we don't want because it's at a reduced price).

AlanH
12-01-2012, 06:52
I have not actually been in a pub yet this year but I've "visited" 187 on google street level to correct them. Its a great way to see all these pubs without the inconvenience of getting there and spending money on beer!:D:D:D :confused: :(:(:(

Brewguru
12-01-2012, 07:59
So are these pubs that have been added to the database, or first ever review on the database, or the reviewer's personal first review for that pub?

I've done 2 so far (don't get out much!) one was a first review for PuG, the other a first visit by myself. Both occasions were disappointing.

I wonder how many first reviews of pubs that score highly (say above 8) and that the reviewer would definitely want to go back to there will be among these figures.

ROBCamra
12-01-2012, 08:38
My personal definition of "new" are pubs that I haven't visited since I started reviewing about 4 years ago.

Number of new pubs this year so far is 0. :(

Hopefully this will change tomorrow when I'm aiming to visit 4 or 5 pubs that I haven't been in for at least 10 years plus 2 more that are "virgins" to me.

Of these 3 don't have any kind of review yet. :cheers:

gillhalfpint
12-01-2012, 08:52
A year or two ago I made up a list of pubs in the B postcode area that were on site and hadn't got a review, one pub for each postcode area, and thought it would be great getting the reviews. When away in Cornwall I applied the same idea to going to a town and reviewing pubs that had no reviews, but although I did a few towns I found it depressing in that pubs had gone, changed from a pub etc and gave up on the idea in the end as I want to enjoy a drink at the end of a slog round a town.

I'm afraid I am back to what I used to do and that is aim for GBG pubs followed by JDW's and then if I have time have a look at others in the vicinity that need reviews.

So far this year I have only done 3 pubs that are already reviewed, and I am off to Sheffield for the day tomorrow, and will likely only do reviewd pubs there. Looking forward to reviewing Bag O' Nails in Bristol on 28th though. Sounds like Luke doing a good job getting his ales in there from his twitter feeds.

Farway
12-01-2012, 09:42
Very lightweight, one so far, but it was never reviewed or even had a pic on PuG, plus bunged in a new one to PuG

I suspect my total will be quite low because of wallet, liver & tending to go back where I know things are OK

RogerB
12-01-2012, 09:59
Taking 300 last year as a starting point, I may try for 366 new pubs this year which equates for one for each day. Massive start in Mayfair last night with a grand total of 1. Just 365 to go. Will be in Crouch End tomorrow which is hitherto unknown territory followed by a North London Line pub crawl on Saturday organised by Ratebeer which will actually only net me 3 newbies. Next week I have 4 days in Newquay and Padstow so should hit a dozen or so at least, then Maidenhead probably 3 or 4 new ones and building up for Liverpool where things will really take off!

Strongers
12-01-2012, 10:50
1 bar added to the site.
21 Pubs that have not been reviewd before.
7 pubs that already have reviews.

I'll go to a town and do all of the pubs if I can. If it sells beer I must visit and I think my crawl of Brighton's gay quarter one evening/night before Christmas will testify to this.

gillhalfpint
12-01-2012, 11:38
We are in Weston Super Mare with a car club at the end of this month, so I have looked at the pubs and bars along the front where our hotel is and found 6 with no reviews, so will do them on the Friday before all the hotel stuff starts.

We are in Bristol on the Saturday but expect to be doing favourite pubs as we only have 4 or 5 hours before getting back for the "Angels and Demons" fancy dress night. Will need some beer to start us off as there is no real ale in the hotel. Usually manage to sneak out for a quick one or two during the evening though (NOT in fancy dress by the way!!. We leave that to others to provide the entertainment!).

RogerB
12-01-2012, 11:49
before getting back for the "Angels and Demons" fancy dress night.

I shudder at the vision of Mr Halfpint as either an angel :pray:or a demon :evilgrin:!

ETA
12-01-2012, 13:00
[QUOTE=ETA;40576]Now we get into definitons - of the 12 pubs I've visited so far this year, 10 are new in that I haven't previously reviewed them, while only 9 are new in that I haven't been in them before.

AQUOTE]

Six of those 10 were first PuG reviews.

Is there some way of displaying a running percentage of pubs on his site without reviews? We could see how we are working as a group. Or is that just too trivial even to contemplate?

Al 10000
12-01-2012, 14:55
I'll go to a town and do all of the pubs if I can. If it sells beer I must visit and I think my crawl of Brighton's gay quarter one evening/night before Christmas will testify to this.

You have the same mind set as me,
I will go in any pub that i see i dont care if it is a gay pub or a rough hole i must go in and have a drink then once i have done it i am happy untill i see another pub that i hav'nt been in before.
I am now finding it harder to to get to new pubs to me as i think there is only a handfull of pubs within a 10 mile radius of where i live that i hav'nt been in before.

oldboots
12-01-2012, 17:41
10 pubs visited so far but no new ones, all having been reviewed but some may need updating.

I have about 24 pubs left unreviewed in the Borough I live in but they're mainly spread out and hard to get to or are pub themed restaurants, or pubco owned mug-bleeders that continually open and close.

Blackthorn
12-01-2012, 18:34
We are in Bristol on the Saturday but expect to be doing favourite pubs

I take it you'll be trying the Bag o'Nails then Gill? I would suggest meeting up, but unfortunately I'm not around that Saturday. Unless you have any free time in WSM on the Sunday?

gillhalfpint
12-01-2012, 19:02
Bag O' Nails is certainly on the list for Saturday.

Will have to be catching the train from Weston around 11.30 to get to Bristol for the connection. Not sure what time we will be free from the hotel, but there wouldn't be a lot of time really, unless Off the Rails is open Sunday morning.

ROBCamra
14-01-2012, 08:26
My personal definition of "new" are pubs that I haven't visited since I started reviewing about 4 years ago.

Number of new pubs this year so far is 0. :(

Hopefully this will change tomorrow when I'm aiming to visit 4 or 5 pubs that I haven't been in for at least 10 years plus 2 more that are "virgins" to me.

Of these 3 don't have any kind of review yet. :cheers:

Well the 4 or 5 plus 2 virgins turned into 13 last night. :o

So thats a decent start on my mission for the year. :p

gillhalfpint
14-01-2012, 08:53
Had a good day in Sheffield yesterday, and the only downside was that the Harlequin opens at 12 instead of 11.30 which was a bit of a blow. Started in the Tap which opened before 11 so was a good start, but we got to Harlequin 11.30 to find door closed. I tried it and went in as it opened. We were looking along the pump clips when we were told we had to leave as they are now 12 opening. A bit of a dilemma as all the other pubs along there are 12 opening so the Harlequin slotted in nicely. Got to the Gardeners Rest about 11.45 and were let in. Don't mind if we have to wait to get served. Just great to get in. Had 5 in there as there were 2 Brightside beers and 3 from By The Horns brewery, all very good too. Had a couple in the Fat Cat, a couple in the Kelham Island Tavern, and 3 in the Shakespeare.

Oh and back to this thread, we went to a pub new to us, the Rutland in town centre. Very good choice of beers and in good nick too. It has been well reviewed but I added ours about the beers, so I have done one pub new to me so far this year. Difficult to stray when in Sheffield as I want to go to too many old favourites.

Spinko
14-01-2012, 15:20
Did a couple of new ones today. Stalybridge Buffet Bar, and the Riverhead Tap in Marsden. I'd have done more, but the trains were absolutely knackered around Huddersfield today!

oldboots
14-01-2012, 19:48
popped into the Volunteer Arms in York for the first time today, excellent choice and quality plus something for almost everyone on the bar. A fulll review will appear in the fullness of time otherwise I did just a few of the usual York pubs, including the Maltings and York Tap - updated reviews of each to follow.

I did try some of Yorkshire' s latest brewery's beer in the Ackhorne - TREBOOM Drumbeat (a York Guzzler / Golden Pippin clone) ok but nowhere as good as the Hardknott Code Black in the York Tap.

Spinko
14-01-2012, 21:36
popped into the Volunteer Arms in York for the first time today, excellent choice and quality plus something for almost everyone on the bar. A fulll review will appear in the fullness of time otherwise I did just a few of the usual York pubs, including the Maltings and York Tap - updated reviews of each to follow.

I did try some of Yorkshire' s latest brewery's beer in the Ackhorne - TREBOOM Drumbeat (a York Guzzler / Golden Pippin clone) ok but nowhere as good as the Hardknott Code Black in the York Tap.

Ah so it was open then, I was seriously disappointed with the York Tap over New Year with their opening hours.

I will never understand why pubs think they can be flippant with their opening hours at the times when most people are off work.

Bucking Fastard
15-01-2012, 11:05
I have managed to clock up 8 new reviews ,of which 2 were previously unreviewed "virgin"pubs.Not a bad start to the year by my standards and already one outstanding visit to The York ,Broomhill,Sheffield.

Most new reviews this year I expect will be pubs within walking distance of a canal or river and if these are virgin pubs and not in the GBG ,then they really are a complete shot in the dark.I always work on the principal that fortune favours the brave :p

Then of course there are always the PuG tours,a useful source of new reviews if I can remember to take some notes and not rely on a memory addled by beer ;) There are still a couple of pubs from Nottingham that I visited but that's about all I could reasonably say :muppet:,fortunately they are well reviewed by others :)

gillhalfpint
15-01-2012, 13:40
I
There are still a couple of pubs from Nottingham that I visited but that's about all I could reasonably say :muppet:,fortunately they are well reviewed by others :)

My problem too. Good intentions at the start of the day, but by the time I get to write reviews I sometimes fail to imagine the inside of the place and just have my beer list to remind me.

Delboy20
15-01-2012, 18:18
A trip to Bloxwich yesterday has given me 6 new pubs bringing my total to 14 so far.

Not much else planned for this month but an average of 14 a month will easily do for my 150 target

Del.

oldboots
15-01-2012, 18:49
No new pubs today but two more new beers to add to the six new ones I tried yesterday, new thread anyone?

RogerB
16-01-2012, 11:11
6 new pubs Friday night in Crouch End but my expected North London Line pub crawl on Saturday didn't get any further than the Southampton Arms in Gospel Oak for varying reasons. 4 days in Devon this week should notch up a few.

Quinno
16-01-2012, 12:50
Off to Luton on the 24th for a conference at Bedfordshire Uni which happily for me is slap bang the town centre. With a bit of luck I'll get 7 (seven) new ones.

Grailhunter
17-01-2012, 11:20
Off to Luton on the 24th for a conference at Bedfordshire Uni which happily for me is slap bang the town centre. With a bit of luck I'll get 7 (seven) new ones.

I had a night in Luton a couple of months ago. Not impressed with the town centre pubs at all. Very poor I thought. Eventually found two half decent pubs in the 'high town'. The English Rose and the Bricklayers. The English Rose had Dark Star Coffee Stout, one of my favourites. Recall that in the Bricklayers a customer came in and asked what Polish lagers that had on draught ! He ended up with Stella !

Maldenman
19-01-2012, 09:27
Well I've managed to blag my way onto a day's course in Bristol in mid-February, so I'm sure I'll grab a few then, just hope it finishes nice and early! :pray:

Quinno
19-01-2012, 12:13
Well I've managed to blag my way onto a day's course in Bristol in mid-February, so I'm sure I'll grab a few then, just hope it finishes nice and early! :pray:

Whereabouts in Bristol?

Maldenman
19-01-2012, 13:25
Whereabouts in Bristol?

It's central I believe, 8mins walk from Temple Meads. Redcliffe. Looks to be fairly adjacent to a few decent boozers but I may only have a couple of hours plus perhaps a cheeky one at lunchtime.

Quinno
19-01-2012, 15:10
It's central I believe, 8mins walk from Temple Meads. Redcliffe. Looks to be fairly adjacent to a few decent boozers but I may only have a couple of hours plus perhaps a cheeky one at lunchtime.

Oh in that case do the golden set - Seven Stars, Cornubia, Kings Head which are all excellent. From any it's around 10 to 15mins to Temple Meads (remember the long slope leading up to the entrance!) and there's a JDW there (round the back) if you like to leave a good few minutes before the train...

I have also heard good things about the Golden Guinea but have not been there yet.

Maldenman
19-01-2012, 17:37
Oh in that case do the golden set - Seven Stars, Cornubia, Kings Head which are all excellent. From any it's around 10 to 15mins to Temple Meads (remember the long slope leading up to the entrance!) and there's a JDW there (round the back) if you like to leave a good few minutes before the train...

I have also heard good things about the Golden Guinea but have not been there yet.

Cheers Quinno, those three on my initial list but I'll fine tune nearer the time. I'm considering telling a tale at home along the lines that I need to go the night before for a 9 start (it's 10:30!) but could be on dodgy ground. :whistle:

Delboy20
19-01-2012, 17:56
Cheers Quinno, those three on my initial list but I'll fine tune nearer the time. I'm considering telling a tale at home along the lines that I need to go the night before for a 9 start (it's 10:30!) but could be on dodgy ground. :whistle:

Do it - you know you want to !!!

Spinko
19-01-2012, 19:29
Any good ideas for Coventry? I have a meeting there..and Friday morning provisionally booked off :whistle:

Andy Ven
19-01-2012, 19:45
Any good ideas for Coventry? I have a meeting there..and Friday morning provisionally booked off :whistle:

The 2 that immediately spring to mind are the Whitefriars Olde Ale House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52342/) and the Old Windmill (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38185/)

Quinno
19-01-2012, 20:00

I'd strongly recommend Whitefriars Olde Ale House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52342/) and Town Wall Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38246/) as stand-outs from my mini-crawl after a meeting at Warwick (ha ha!) Uni. Old Windmill Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38185/) and The Gatehouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38111/) were also both pretty tidy.

Al 10000
21-01-2012, 17:20
1 new pub visited up to now this year but yet to add it to the site as i had a bit of an health scare last Sunday and this might slow me down for a while.

Arthurish
21-01-2012, 20:55
ROBCamra, Hopefully the pubs are still there after 10 years.

Arthuish

ROBCamra
22-01-2012, 07:55
ROBCamra, Hopefully the pubs are still there after 10 years.

Arthuish

They were indeed all still there. But after visiting I don't think a couple will be for much longer, they need putting out of their misery. :(

Spinko
22-01-2012, 09:43
The 2 that immediately spring to mind are the Whitefriars Olde Ale House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52342/) and the Old Windmill (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38185/)

Given that my meeting is just around the corner I expect Whitefriars for lunch will be the order of the day! Cheers.

Did a couple of new ones in Sheffield over the weekend. Red Lion, and Rutland Arms, both of which had some very tasty Abbeydale brew's on. I had too many to remember their names though! I've been to Sheffield around 15 times now and still not made it up to the Kelham Island area, that's how good the town is for beer.

Strongers
22-01-2012, 10:21
1 new pub visited up to now this year but yet to add it to the site as i had a bit of an health scare last Sunday and this might slow me down for a while.

That doesn't sound very good. Hope you're ok and It's not too serious.

RogerB
22-01-2012, 19:23
Just back from Newquay/Padstow - 16 new pubs (I think) in the last 4 days so I reckon I'm now 2 or 3 ahead of my New Pub A Day target.

Just had a count up - 24 new pubs this year so far.

rpadam
24-01-2012, 16:13
Currently on the train back from Waverley, having encounted (so to speak) a few 'virgins' in Edinburgh and Glasgow in addition to some of the usual suspects...

ETA
24-01-2012, 20:35
Currently on the train back from Waverley, having encounted (so to speak) a few 'virgins' in Edinburgh and Glasgow in addition to some of the usual suspects...

I was doing the same last week (in Glasgow anyway) - we must have missed each other by no more than a few pints.

RogerB
25-01-2012, 08:24
Knocked up a few in Staines last night - now 29 for the month. Progress can be found here... http://www.dodgeworld.co.uk/page4.html

Bucking Fastard
25-01-2012, 11:59
Knocked up a few in Staines last night - now 29 for the month. Progress can be found here... http://www.dodgeworld.co.uk/page4.html

That's impressive,there could be a long list under Liverpool in March to keep up the momentum.

RogerB
25-01-2012, 12:07
That's impressive,there could be a long list under Liverpool in March to keep up the momentum.

Also have Norwich lined up in March so should be a bumper month.

Rex_Rattus
26-01-2012, 16:07
It's all right for you lot with your grand plans for pub visits in future weeks. Mrs R is dragging me off on Saturday for a cruise around the Caribbean for a couple of weeks, where decent ale and good pubs are not exactly thick on the ground. So, how about a bit of sympathy for those who won't be enjoying any decent ale for a couple of weeks? Have a thought for those less well off (ale-wise) when quaffing all those great ales!

gillhalfpint
27-01-2012, 07:03
Off to catch bus to get the train Weston and plan to look at 6 pubs on here along the front that have no reviews today before we check into hotel. Don't let us in till 4pm.

Tomorrow in Bristol will be better for beer but not new pubs I expect as we plan on Bag O' Nails, Three Tuns, Cornubia and Seven Stars plus anything else if we have time. Don't know if we can count Bag O' Nails as we have been before, but it is under new management.

Spinko
27-01-2012, 09:07
I'd strongly recommend Whitefriars Olde Ale House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52342/) and Town Wall Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38246/) as stand-outs from my mini-crawl after a meeting at Warwick (ha ha!) Uni. Old Windmill Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38185/) and The Gatehouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38111/) were also both pretty tidy.

Just did the Whitefriars in the end. Very nice place and it took me 3 pints to realise the beers went from lightest to darkest..food was very good as well, £3.50 for double egg and chips, which I had with a couple of slices of bread to make some great chip butties. I've had to leave my suit out to air though as the cooking going on meant there was a smell of grease throughout the place..

A great crawl overall yesterday though, starting at Whitefriars, going via the Anchor in Digbeth, and Sheffield Tap. Left my meeting at 12:30 and didn't get home until 8 :D

Brewguru
27-01-2012, 09:40
Off to catch bus to get the train Weston and plan to look at 6 pubs on here along the front that have no reviews today before we check into hotel. Don't let us in till 4pm.

Tomorrow in Bristol will be better for beer but not new pubs I expect as we plan on Bag O' Nails, Three Tuns, Cornubia and Seven Stars plus anything else if we have time. Don't know if we can count Bag O' Nails as we have been before, but it is under new management.

The Bag of Nails is indeed under the new management of Luke Daniels, who was the manager of the Cornubia during its good days under the stewardship of Hidden Brewery (now defunct). All reports suggest it is back on form (as is the Cornubia since Phil took over). It makes for a good drinking area around that part of Bristol with the Three Tuns up the road.

All 4 pubs are top class.

RogerB
27-01-2012, 10:27
Surprised myself yesterday by finding a Soho pub that I had never been in. Now on 31 so January is accounted for. Kingston tonight but I don't think there are any newbies involved. A quiet weekend awaits.

gillhalfpint
27-01-2012, 15:18
Have tried 3 of the virgin pubs in Weston and not had a drink.

H20 in Winter Gardens is closed and may be called the View Bar. Tourist info in Winter Gardens not sure, but whatever it is won't open till the season starts.

York Hotel Bar is open to non residents and was open when I called but no real ale. Barman caught me in the corridor looking for it, so I didn't sdee what they had on.

Chaplin's Bar in the Sandringham Hotel was closed as it opens in evenings. Non residents can use it, but no real ale.

Good job there are 3 Good Beer Guide pubs here. Been in Regency and Dragons JDW and got some ale, and will do Criterion when we sneal out of function where we have no ale. Cabot Court JDW not far from hotel too, so we will get sonething. Will check the other 3 virgin bars now.

gillhalfpint
27-01-2012, 17:14
Been to the other 3 virgin pubs in Weston and didn't get a drink again.

Stones was an impressive building, no indication it was a pub so I went passed it, and someone pointed me in the right direction. No sign to indicate it was a bar that I could see, but the inside door said Stones. It was in darkness at 5pm, but light on in the back and I could make out a bar. No sign of anyone.

Pavillion is a sporty trendy type bar and sky sports news on a TV screen. No real ale so passed.

Nook and Harbour was hard to find till I saw Nook and Harbour apartments. The large building next door was called Panoramic, so I went in to find if they knew of the pub. I was in the refurbished Nook and Harbour which is a classy styled foody place inside, but the barman said you could use the bar without eating, and said they were open even though empty. The refurb means it no way resembles a pub interior. No real ale so I passed.

Dur to my thirst, I went up the road to the Criterion which had 5 real ales on, 4 on handpull and 1 cask and though 3 of them were St Austell (Tribute, Trelawney and Dartmoor) I did not mind and enjoyed a Cotswold Spring Stunner, and that is where we will be popping out to when thirsty the next couple of nights. Havent a clue what to drink in the hotel.

Gill

Blackthorn
27-01-2012, 21:39
I didn't like to say anything, but I thought there might be a good reason why those "pubs" along the front didn't have any reviews Gill! With one or two exceptions, Weston does seem to be a bit of a real ale desert and have rather a lot off naff sports bars.

Enjoy your trip to Bristol tomorrow.

gillhalfpint
27-01-2012, 22:32
Had a couple of trips up to the Criterion tonight for a couple of halves. Will enjoy Bristol tomorrow after tonight, believe me!

ROBCamra
01-02-2012, 13:32
Three more new pubs over the weekend, so I'm now on 16 for the year.

If I keep that up I'll manage the 150 or so this year that I need to get to 1000. :cheers:

Mind you I've now got 21 reviews oustanding. :(

RogerB
01-02-2012, 13:44
Mind you I've now got 21 reviews oustanding. :(

My heart bleeds! I've got 628 to write up!

gillhalfpint
01-02-2012, 15:04
What good memories or meticulous note takers you lot are. If I don't write up within a week I am afraid my review will be very sketchy.

I was saying to Ray what was this or that pub like inside on LAST weekend's pubs!! I'm OK if a favourite pub visited of course, but dreadful if a new pub.

Quinno
01-02-2012, 17:59
Well for Jan I did 2 new London ones, 8 in Luton and a similar number in Andover. Along with my 200+ reviews from yesteryear I hope to be at 1500 by year end. Frightening...

Pubsignman
01-02-2012, 21:47
I managed to visit 18 pubs that I'd never been to before over the course of January. I averaged about new 16 pubs a month last year, so I'm well on course to top my target of 150 new pubs for 2012.

ETA
02-02-2012, 05:58
26 new (to me) pubs visited in January, of which 12 were first time reviews. Looking back, I seem to have had some near-encounters with RogerB and JAQPTIO in Glasgow and nearly bumped into Quinno in Andover (depending on when they actually visited as opposed to posted the reviews). We really should coordinate better.

RogerB
02-02-2012, 09:18
I seem to have had some near-encounters with RogerB and JAQPTIO in Glasgow.

I was there in August but am still doing the reviews! I only recently finished writing up Edinburgh from the same trip. I had noticed that we seem to be clashing on a few.

Quinno
02-02-2012, 11:13
26 new (to me) pubs visited in January, of which 12 were first time reviews. Looking back, I seem to have had some near-encounters with RogerB and JAQPTIO in Glasgow and nearly bumped into Quinno in Andover (depending on when they actually visited as opposed to posted the reviews). We really should coordinate better.

Most of the reviews were up within a few days of the Saturday I went...

There was a chap who came into the Nags on Saturday who was clearly on a pub mission as he had a rucksack and notebook. Looking out for a new review to pop up somewhere soon!

ETA
03-02-2012, 07:28
Most of the reviews were up within a few days of the Saturday I went...

There was a chap who came into the Nags on Saturday who was clearly on a pub mission as he had a rucksack and notebook. Looking out for a new review to pop up somewhere soon!

Not me, though I must admit to carrying a small rucksack when travelling by rail.

Al 10000
03-02-2012, 16:57
Not me, though I must admit to carrying a small rucksack when travelling by rail.

I would never carry a rucksack as you are liable to get robbed, i always use a manky old carrier bag it used to be a Kwik Save one but when they went to the wall i started useing Lidl bags or anything else that makes me looks like i have no or little money on me and this ploy as served me well over the years.

ETA
03-02-2012, 17:36
I anything else that makes me looks like i have no or little money on me and this ploy as served me well over the years.

According to Mrs A, my clothes serve this function. I don't see why though, they've been fine up until now - surely not that much changes over the decades?

Delboy20
03-02-2012, 18:25
A trip to Bloxwich yesterday has given me 6 new pubs bringing my total to 14 so far.

Not much else planned for this month but an average of 14 a month will easily do for my 150 target

Del.

A trip to Yardley to visit the new Spoons has given me another 4 new pubs bringing my running total to 18.

bcfczuluarmy
04-02-2012, 18:32
Currently running at 6 a week after a slow start to the year due to drinking partner going skiing.

Maldenman
04-02-2012, 18:33
I would never carry a rucksack as you are liable to get robbed, i always use a manky old carrier bag it used to be a Kwik Save one but when they went to the wall i started useing Lidl bags or anything else that makes me looks like i have no or little money on me and this ploy as served me well over the years.

Alan, looking at some of the dubious old boozers you've visited in my former home city of Manchester I really don't blame you mate!

oldboots
04-02-2012, 18:36
Managed 2 newbies in Leeds today after a wallet cruncher in North Bar, that's my first this year.

rpadam
04-02-2012, 19:40
Had a count up for January, a month where I (like many other contributors) made a bit of extra effort to visit some new pubs.

Depending how exactly you define 'new', the results are as follows:

- 2 visits to wholly new pubs not previously listed on the site
- 12 previously unreviewed ('virgin') pubs
- 29 'new to me' pubs
- 1 'new to me' pub that I had previously visited but walked out of without buying a drink or leaving a review
- 4 previously reviewed pubs which have substantially changed (including a new name) since last visit
- 5 pubs previously visited but a few years ago and thus not previously reviewed

The above is partially helped by a trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh, so I don't think I'll be able to keep this rate up in future months...

Strongers
04-02-2012, 20:16
I've been on a mission whilst I'm able and I've been to:

2 new pubs that I've added to the site
46 'virgin' pubs (Brighton mostly)
27 previously reviewed pubs

This month I've been to none!

bcfczuluarmy
05-02-2012, 20:51
Stumbled on new Bristol pub today (added and awaiting approval) and went to 2 undone pubs today and managed to do a pub that I was not 100% sure on until I checked my notes and had been there. :( Could've gone to another new one had I trusted my brain.

Farway
06-02-2012, 13:41

Good heavens, I must live in a different world. I nearly always have a rucksack, and often a camera and only once had a thought that I may be "In harm's way" [This was in a seedier, and culturally diverse, part of Pompey]

There again, as an Ex -matelot an inbuilt sense of self preservation may be hard wired into the genes by now, thus avoiding by instinct the less salubrious parts of towns / cities, but still managing to find beer :glass:

Or maybe it is because I resemble a daft old git, and thus not worth robbing. Someone did tell me once a thief would chuck a decent radio into my car rather then nick my one :)

Al 10000
06-02-2012, 14:16
There again, as an Ex -matelot an inbuilt sense of self preservation may be hard wired into the genes by now, thus avoiding by instinct the less salubrious parts of towns / cities, but still managing to find beer :glass:
:)

This is where i am probably different to most people on this site as i have always tried to find the roughest parts of towns and cities and do the pubs there.

When i first started doing London pubs in the early 80s the first areas i went to were Brixton, Mile End and Bethnal green and when i took my wife to Manchester we went round the Ordsall estate in Salford this was in the mid 80s ask anyone about the Ordsall estate and they will tell you how bad it was then.

Blackthorn
06-02-2012, 15:43
Stumbled on new Bristol pub today

Which one's that out of interest?

Delboy20
07-02-2012, 19:13
4 new pubs in Great Bridge on Sunday bringing my total up to 22 so far.

RogerB
13-02-2012, 08:02
Was beginning to fall behind but a new one in Tottenham Saturday and 6 in Lewisham last night have brought the total to 47 new pubs in the first 43 days of the year so ahead of my "new pub a day" target. Not much happening this week but an away game at Woking on Saturday (weather permitting). Trouble is I have already done most Woking pubs that are worth doing but I thinke there were a couple of lucky dips that I never got round to last time.

ROBCamra
13-02-2012, 09:23
Only one more new pub this week in Fleetwood. Now up to 17.

Derby this weekend, but I think I've done all the good ones in my several years of working in / visiting Derby.

I'll have to see if I can snaek off for a cheeky one somewhere without the other half. :p

Al 10000
16-02-2012, 16:00
Well i have now doubled the amount of new pubs visited this year i have now been in 2 new pubs so hopefully if it carrys on like this i might manage 12 new pubs for 2012.

My previous 6 years new pubs visited are

2006 - 435
2007 - 353
2008 - 366
2009 - 302 I was made redundent in June of this year
2010 - 210
2011 - 161
2012 - 2

ROBCamra
17-02-2012, 10:42
Collected 3 "new" bars in Manchester last night. One brand new and 2 others previously unreviewed.

Now up to 20 for the year. :cheers:

gillhalfpint
17-02-2012, 12:27
Pubs new to me this year so far are-

Rutland Sheffield
Port Street Beer House Manchester
Regency Weston
V-Shed JDW Bristol
Ramsden Arms Blackpool
Strawberry Gardens Fleetwood.

Only 6.

Delboy20
17-02-2012, 19:43
4 new pubs in Great Bridge on Sunday bringing my total up to 22 so far.

Another 4 in the outskirts of Harborne last weekend has got me up to 26.

An overnighter in Wigan next weekend should boost my total though :drinkup::drinkup:

RogerB
19-02-2012, 10:16
3 new pubs in Woking yesterday (including 2 with no pics on PG). That's the half century for the year - 50 in 50 days!

RogerB
21-02-2012, 11:24
Hoping to clock up 5 in Ruislip tonight thanks to an unexpected Cup replay v Wealdstone!

Maldenman
22-02-2012, 11:35
Just had a quick tot up and I was surprised to find I've done 24 new ones so far, which is rather more than I expected. Helped by a swift 7 in Bristol last week, which I might add is a fine place worthy of a longer visit.

Blackthorn
22-02-2012, 12:12
Just had a quick tot up and I was surprised to find I've done 24 new ones so far, which is rather more than I expected. Helped by a swift 7 in Bristol last week, which I might add is a fine place worthy of a longer visit.

I see you've only reviewed six of them so far, have you still got one to write up? Glad you enjoyed it anyhow.

Maldenman
22-02-2012, 12:28
I see you've only reviewed six of them so far, have you still got one to write up? Glad you enjoyed it anyhow.

Yes, excellent flying visit, just got The Knight Templar to do, if I can remember anything about it! :whistle:

ROBCamra
22-02-2012, 13:16
The other half & the other half in law decided to go back to the hotel in Derby on Saturday at 21:30 and got a taxi.

I decided to walk back and "have another pint". :rolleyes:

This allowed me to collect another 5 pubs that i'd not been in before. :evilgrin:

Now up to 25 for the year. :cheers:

Bucking Fastard
22-02-2012, 14:25
Rather surprised that I have clocked up 24 new reviews so far this year,with the boat stuck in Hemel Hempstead I have been forced to try some pubs there that I would normally leave well alone.Have also been out and about in Hertfordshire photographing "virgin" pubs and popping into the ones that look interesting.I do believe that all pubs marked as open in Hertfordshire now have a photo.

Liverpool will crank up the number of pubs visited but nothing like as much as those on for a two day session.I doff my cap to you :notworthy:

Maldenman
24-02-2012, 21:11
Football trip to Bishops Stortford tomorrow will allow me to tick off a few more virgin pubs. How that town finds itself in the Conference North is a puzzle but I'm not moaning. Looks like a GK dominated place so will need to be selective.

RogerB
24-02-2012, 21:54
Football trip to Bishops Stortford tomorrow will allow me to tick off a few more virgin pubs. How that town finds itself in the Conference North is a puzzle but I'm not moaning. Looks like a GK dominated place so will need to be selective.

I enjoyed my littel trek around Bishops Stortfrd - no classics but lots of pubs with potential that give food for thought. lI look forward to a return vist at some stage to see how they are all getting on as well as an excuse to update reviews to clear out the typos!

sheffield hatter
25-02-2012, 08:53
...with the boat stuck in Hemel Hempstead I have been forced to try some pubs there that I would normally leave well alone.Have also been out and about in Hertfordshire photographing "virgin" pubs and popping into the ones that look interesting.I do believe that all pubs marked as open in Hertfordshire now have a photo.

Well done!

I see you've been to the Crown & Sceptre (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53471/), one of the first real ale pubs I ever went in, back in about 1973. They always sold Abbot here then, so maybe that's why they still sell it today, though slightly to one side and as if ashamed, as your review hints. In those days, Abbot Ale was a really good pint and it was one of my favourite beers at the time, along with Boddingtons Bitter. I even had a T-shirt with the slogan "Please keep upright - Abbot drinker!".

Bucking Fastard
25-02-2012, 10:28
Well done!

I see you've been to the Crown & Sceptre (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53471/), one of the first real ale pubs I ever went in, back in about 1973. They always sold Abbot here then, so maybe that's why they still sell it today, though slightly to one side and as if ashamed, as your review hints. In those days, Abbot Ale was a really good pint and it was one of my favourite beers at the time, along with Boddingtons Bitter. I even had a T-shirt with the slogan "Please keep upright - Abbot drinker!".

Many moons ago I also used to drink Abbott Ale,after work in a sports bar (now defunct) on Holborn Viaduct.It must have been alright then given the amount that used to fly down.However there are so many GK tied houses in Hertfordshire these days (those close to me were originally Rayment houses:moremad:) that I rarely bother with either their beers or their pubs.I declined the opportunity of Abbott in The Crown and Sceptre but I liked the pub,good location.As you say it may just be a pub tradition to stock some GK beers,it appeared to be a free house to me.

Delboy20
28-02-2012, 19:10
Another 4 in the outskirts of Harborne last weekend has got me up to 26.

An overnighter in Wigan next weekend should boost my total though :drinkup::drinkup:

A very good weekend for me with another 22 new pubs clocked up !! :nishelypished:.

That makes 48 so far this year - well ahead of schedule

ETA
29-02-2012, 11:09
February's score: 18 pubs new to me (total of 44 this year) - almost a third of the way to my target.

9 first-time reviews (21 this year).

We could automate this process, but I suspect Conrad would not consider this his highest priority as it would need changes to the review pages as well as a new query script!

RogerB
04-03-2012, 08:32
After 2 days in Liverpool and a jaunt around Tonbridge yesterday, the new pub count has rocketed. Now on 76 new pubs in 65 days! Huddersfield/Halifax and Norwich later in the month should keep things way ahead of target!

Pubsignman
06-03-2012, 11:36
A very busy February with visits to Chester and Rochdale plus lengthy crawls around Belgravia and Thornton Heath :eek:, combined with the Liverpool meet-up has seen my tally rocket to a slightly worrying 76 new pubs for the year so far. Time to slow down a bit I think.

ROBCamra
06-03-2012, 12:26
A very busy February with visits to Chester and Rochdale plus lengthy crawls around Belgravia and Thornton Heath :eek:, combined with the Liverpool meet-up has seen my tally rocket to a slightly worrying 76 new pubs for the year so far. Time to slow down a bit I think.

You're right, you're level with RogerB, see Roger's post above. :eek::notworthy:

I'm on a somewhat more pedestrian 29. That's still a new one nearly every 2 days though.

Bucking Fastard
06-03-2012, 13:44
plus lengthy crawls around Belgravia and Thornton Heath :eek:,

Never thought I would ever see those two places mentioned in the same breath.Any time reviewing pubs in Fort Neef should receive a commendation:notworthy:

sheffield hatter
06-03-2012, 14:03
I'm on a somewhat more pedestrian 29. That's still a new one nearly every 2 days though.

My 10 new pubs in Liverpool on Friday (out of 14 visited on the day) brought my total so far up to a surprising 30. And I thought I'd been taking it easy...

Al 10000
11-03-2012, 17:25
After a small pub crawl in south Leicestershire and Northamptonshire yesterday i managed to go in 15 new pubs to me making my total for the year 17 new pubs.

Delboy20
12-03-2012, 18:24
A very good weekend for me with another 22 new pubs clocked up !! :nishelypished:.

That makes 48 so far this year - well ahead of schedule

The new wetherspoons in Oldbury and 4 pubs I had never visited in West Bromwich brings me to 53 for the year.

Great to reach my half century in only 70 days. I am well on target.

ROBCamra
12-03-2012, 18:29
A trip round Bradford on Friday, a bit of an overlooked beer destination really.

I had 10 pubs on my list, but only managed 9 before the train came calling.

5 or 6 will be revisited I think, definitely including the very good Sparrow, based on Reliance & North Bar in Leeds.

Anyway that now brings me up to 38 for the year. :cheers:

gillhalfpint
12-03-2012, 18:44
We are going to Leeds on Thursday. Haven't done the fest before, but when we get put out at 3pm we will go into Leeds. I have a list of 9 to do. Seven I have been to before but hoping to do Hop (new) , Mr Foley's, North, Scarbrough, Templar, Town Hall Tavern, Veritas (new), Victoria and Whitlocks before catching the train back to York.

Maldenman
12-03-2012, 19:41
38 new ones for me now, exactly half of Roger's earlier published total. Mid table mediocrity is fine for me I think.

Strongers
12-03-2012, 22:15
192 :whistle::o

Going on a crawl of Newhaven tomorrow and doing a walk from Sutton to Morden via East Croyden on Saturday. Sutton is the last of the thirty odd London boroughs that I've not been to.
Next time I'm up in London I'm going to try and do the last 6 of the 119 inner london postcodes that I have left, Camberwell, Peckham, Catford, Dulwich, East Dulwich and Streatham... can't wait!!!

Al 10000
13-03-2012, 15:21
192 :whistle::o

Going on a crawl of Newhaven tomorrow and doing a walk from Sutton to Morden via East Croyden on Saturday. Sutton is the last of the thirty odd London boroughs that I've not been to.
Next time I'm up in London I'm going to try and do the last 6 of the 119 inner london postcodes that I have left, Camberwell, Peckham, Catford, Dulwich, East Dulwich and Streatham... can't wait!!!

I managed to go in a quick 7 pubs in Sutton and these were decent pubs 3 Youngs and 2 Fullers, i also went in 5 pubs in Streatham you will be in for a treat drinking there:eek: only done 2 in Camberwell when on a crawl round Brixton.

I think the way you are getting around new pubs is great,at that rate you will probably have been in more pubs than i have :cheers:

Maldenman
13-03-2012, 16:53
i also went in 5 pubs in Streatham you will be in for a treat drinking there:eek: :

Streatham has probably improved since your visit Alan, Earl Ferrers, Leigham Arms, Manor Arms, The Holland Tringham(JDW) and if open now, Pratt and Payne, the former Goose, should all be worth a punt.

Rex_Rattus
13-03-2012, 17:02
Streatham has probably improved since your visit Alan, Earl Ferrers, Leigham Arms, Manor Arms, The Holland Tringham(JDW) and if open now, Pratt and Payne, the former Goose, should all be worth a punt.

The Pratts and Payne is now open. Camberwell isn't the glowing Mecca of destination pubs, but The Tiger (another Antic pub), and The Bear (foody, but did a couple of London Fields ales) are worth a punt.

Strongers
13-03-2012, 18:25
Well I'm sitting at southease station as I was going to do the abergavenny, but no chance. This place is in the middle of nowhere with long dirt tracks in and out. I actually have a little torch as I've found myself in the pitch black wilderness before... shame the battery has run out. I'm sure I can hear some squealing pigs and deep south banjo music coming from the field opposite.

DANNYCR
13-03-2012, 19:08
Hi all,
As a newbie to this forum i would like to say hello, and if any of you are in the South East, i have just bought The Seahorse Pub in Greatstone. myself and my wife are trying to turn it round at the moment and we would welcome any of the old regulars and even some new ones in to meet us try our Ales (we have guest Ales every week now not just London Pride)... i would also like to know if anyone can help me update the details for the pub on here as a few of the details are wrong i.e. address and name to start with! and i would like to add the website Facebook page etc.... anyway if anyone can help or the admin team are reading pppllleeaassee help.
Hope your all well guys and i look forward to welcoming you into our establishment
cheers
Danny

Maldenman
13-03-2012, 19:17
Hi all,
As a newbie to this forum i would like to say hello, and if any of you are in the South East, i have just bought The Seahorse Pub in Greatstone. myself and my wife are trying to turn it round at the moment and we would welcome any of the old regulars and even some new ones in to meet us try our Ales (we have guest Ales every week now not just London Pride)... i would also like to know if anyone can help me update the details for the pub on here as a few of the details are wrong i.e. address and name to start with! and i would like to add the website Facebook page etc.... anyway if anyone can help or the admin team are reading pppllleeaassee help.
Hope your all well guys and i look forward to welcoming you into our establishment
cheers
Danny

Danny, I'm sure an admin will be along soon but if you head to the "that doesn't go there" bit of the forum you should be able to record your current stuff and get it updated subject to checking. Good luck and hello!

Al 10000
14-03-2012, 14:53

I did'nt see the first three pubs on your list and the spoons wasnt there,i only went there for the Youngs houses

Pub visited were

White Lion crap pub keg beer
Goose crap pub GK IPA
Bedford Park not bad Youngs house beer was crap
Pied Bull decent pub and decent Youngs bitter
Greyhound not a bad pub but keg beers on the bar,

all pubs visited on 7 Jan 2006.

Ime glad its improved since i went there.

AlanH
19-03-2012, 00:02
Al 3000R

Congratulations to Alan Winfield on reaching 3,000 reviews.:notworthy:
Well done. I enjoy reading your entries.

Strongers
19-03-2012, 21:25
Al 3000R

Congratulations to Alan Winfield on reaching 3,000 reviews.:notworthy:
Well done. I enjoy reading your entries.

Hat is off! :cheers:

RogerB
25-03-2012, 07:53
Currently flying through the pubs in Huddersfield - Now up to 105 new pubs for the year. Having a day in Halifax today before rounding up the remainder of Huddersfield. Then it`s Norwich on Friday!

Al 10000
25-03-2012, 11:35
A good week for me with 21 new pubs done most of these were in the Dronfield area,i am now up to 38 new pubs visited this year.

Rex_Rattus
25-03-2012, 14:56
Reports are that Hurricane Roger has swept through Huddersfield leaving numerous pubs reeling in its wake, before turning towards Halifax and then heading South to give the pubs of East Anglia a thorough going over! One can only speculate as to how the citizens of said regions will cope.

RogerB
26-03-2012, 10:56
Just 32 (Thirty two) new pubs over the (extended) weekend in Huddersfield and Halifax! That now makes 117 new pubs in 86 days. 3 days "off" before Norwich!

Al 10000
28-03-2012, 15:58
A quick trip to Derby today to pick up a few of the pubs i hav'nt been in yet netted me another 7 pubs so i am now up to 45 new pubs for the year.

Quinno
30-03-2012, 21:45
36 so far for me. I don't have anything planned for the next few weeks so any additions will be purely accidental!

Soup Dragon
31-03-2012, 07:42
36 so far for me. I don't have anything planned for the next few weeks so any additions will be purely accidental!

i think i am on aroud 75 new pubs so far this year, off to Stourbridge in a moment and possibly Uttoxeter on Monday, then i go on hols - happy days!

oldboots
31-03-2012, 08:05
How embarrassing, I must get out more as I'm only at 17 for the whole first quarter.

Off to Ilkley today with a list of 12 pubs and in search of any of the Ilkley brewery specials/seasonals.

RogerB
31-03-2012, 10:34
Just 126 after yesterday's stroll around Norwich although it may be 125 as I'm not terribly convinced I hadn't been to one of them before!

ROBCamra
31-03-2012, 10:41
A stroll around Stockport and a visit to the new Soul Bar in Manchester yesterday added another 10 to the list. So I'm now on 48. :cheers:

oldboots
31-03-2012, 17:29
9 new ones in Ilkley, with a BOTW contender for good measure :cheers:

Bucking Fastard
01-04-2012, 11:22
I've managed to clock up 45 new ones in the first quarter which is a surprise given the modest amount of boating trips.The crawl around Liverpool helped.

Over the next three months will be navigating along the Oxford,Coventry,Trent and Mersey,River Trent ,Fossdyke Navigation,River Witham,Stainforth and Keadby,Aire and Calder and finally Leeds and Liverpool.The first part of the trip through Atherstone,Tamworth and Burton is familiar territory but Newark,Lincoln and Boston should increase the new reviews total.

aleandhearty
01-04-2012, 13:52
...Aire and Calder and finally Leeds and Liverpool.

I know we touched on this briefly, in Nottingham. Do keep in touch regarding the dates. Would be nice to meet up this time round.

Bucking Fastard
01-04-2012, 14:54
I know we touched on this briefly, in Nottingham. Do keep in touch regarding the dates. Would be nice to meet up this time round.

Looking forward to that.Mr Phat and I will be arriving at Keadby on a neap tide on 13th June all being well,and will be travelling west from there. Not sure of the likely overnight moorings,will be passing through Thorne,Stainforth and Castleford but will let you know nearer the time.We have arranged with the rest of the (motley) crew to meet in Leeds on Friday June 29th from where the weeks holiday to Liverpool will begin.Hopefully other PuGers in the area will also feel free to join in,that Friday evening could get messy;)

Delboy20
01-04-2012, 18:33
The new wetherspoons in Oldbury and 4 pubs I had never visited in West Bromwich brings me to 53 for the year.

Great to reach my half century in only 70 days. I am well on target.

Picked up 1 new pub in Brum last week to move me to 54.

Off to Woolacombe in the morning so should add a few to the total this week.

ETA
02-04-2012, 09:23
March's score: 18 pubs new to me (total of 62 this year) - nearly half way there.

13 first-time reviews (34 this year).

Not in the Heavyweight League, but slowly plodding towards the target...

Pubsignman
02-04-2012, 20:12
I've finished March on a satisfyingly round total of 100 pubs that are new to me. Two thirds of the way to my target with only one quarter of the year gone.

Delboy20
08-04-2012, 19:36
Picked up 1 new pub in Brum last week to move me to 54.

Off to Woolacombe in the morning so should add a few to the total this week.

A decent few days in Woolacombe has given me another 15 new pubs.

Brings me up to 69 so far - nearly halfway to my target.

bcfczuluarmy
09-04-2012, 22:56
Journey to Cornwall since Thursday till yesterday appears to have given me 38 pubs but sadly 8 were already done from when I lived in St Ives if my maths are correct. Eitherway it's a damb site more than the usual 6 a week.

Delboy20
12-04-2012, 19:36
A decent few days in Woolacombe has given me another 15 new pubs.

Brings me up to 69 so far - nearly halfway to my target.

3 new pubs in Stirchley brings me up to 72

bcfczuluarmy
14-04-2012, 17:22

Oak, Shoes and Dogpoo? All my old locals save the Dogpoo.

Delboy20
14-04-2012, 20:12
Oak, Shoes and Dogpoo? All my old locals save the Dogpoo.

Oak and Shoes. The other was the Grant Arms ( not strictly Stirchley - more Kings Norton but close enough !! )

ROBCamra
15-04-2012, 12:16
A stroll around Stockport and a visit to the new Soul Bar in Manchester yesterday added another 10 to the list. So I'm now on 48. :cheers:

Visits to Scarborough, Edinburgh & Durham this added another 11 (and a lot of revisits).

So I've now done 59.

I set myself a target of 150 at the start of the year, so 59 in just under 4 months means I'm still on track. :cheers:

RogerB
23-04-2012, 12:07
Just 4 new pubs this month and not many chances to increase it at the moment. I'm currently on 130 in 114 days so still well on track!

aleandhearty
23-04-2012, 14:54
Just 4 new pubs this month and not many chances to increase it at the moment. I'm currently on 130 in 114 days so still well on track!

....And at the opposite end of the spectrum, I've managed just two new ones since Christmas. :(

gillhalfpint
23-04-2012, 20:56
Your 2 since Christmas has cheered me up. I wasn't bothering to post on here feeling a bit of a lightweight, but the 2 in Peterborough today has brought me up to 32 since 1 Jan.

Delboy20
26-04-2012, 18:30

9 more new pubs last weekend in Wolverhampton brings me up to 81

Al 10000
20-05-2012, 16:47
A trip round a few Hook Norton pubs yesterday netted me another 15 new pubs bringing me up to 60

RogerB
21-05-2012, 09:54
Have slowed up a bit in recent weeks. Currently on 145 in 142 days so just about ahead of schedule. Carshalton won't net me much and not got much planned anywhere new apart from a weekender in Lyme Regis in July. Luckily Dartfords promotion to the Conference should provide a few new opportunities next season which is helped by several Spurs games being switched to Sundays thanks to their Thursday Europa League exploits.

RogerB
21-05-2012, 09:56
A trip round a few Hook Norton pubs yesterday netted me another 15 new pubs bringing me up to 60

Al - I'd like to know what your criteria is for ticking off a new pub as 15 in one day is a pretty decent hit that even my liver would be proud of!

ROBCamra
21-05-2012, 10:40
Sadly I've visited zero new pubs in the last month. :eek::mad:

Stuck on 59 so far.

Al 10000
21-05-2012, 13:56
Al - I'd like to know what your criteria is for ticking off a new pub as 15 in one day is a pretty decent hit that even my liver would be proud of!

I have to have a half pint of beer either bitter,mild or Guinness to make a pub count as a new one for me,i normally do around 23 pubs when doing a pub crawl on my own if the pubs are there to be done.

Delboy20
21-05-2012, 19:16
9 more new pubs last weekend in Wolverhampton brings me up to 81

Another 2 in Wollaston brings me to 83 so far. Slowing up a bit due to the footie season ending - bring on the euros.

Strongers
21-05-2012, 20:48
I have to have a half pint of beer either bitter,mild or Guinness to make a pub count as a new one for me,i normally do around 23 pubs when doing a pub crawl on my own if the pubs are there to be done.

The same criteria as me then as I have to have at least a half of something in a pub to tick it off. I have reviewed a couple of places on here that I haven’t managed to get a drink in, but this never any fault of my own and a low rating is given until I manage to return to the area and have my beer. If I like the look of a pub when I walk in I will get a pint and stay a little longer so when planning a crawl I try to make the midpoint pub half decent so that I can have a rest. I also like to relax at the end of the crawl with a couple of pints before making my way home so I try to end up somewhere half decent.
On an all-day crawl I would expect to visit up to 20 pubs and I think that I average around 17. Any more than 20 and my final few notes aren’t worth the paper they are written on and I start to get lost between pubs and end up giving up.
During an evening jaunt I’m happy to do ten pubs if in a built up town or city. Sometimes my evenings out involve more walking than drinking and I think that the longest I have walked between pubs is 45 minutes up and back down the South Downs – I thought I was going to die!

I’ve had a relatively quiet month and today I added four new Eastbourne bars to the site that bring my total for the year up to 337. I’m looking forward to Friday as I’m going to visit the last 6 inner London postcodes that I’ve not been to yet before joining the motley crew in Carshalton. So I should visit another 15 or so new pubs on Friday.

Al 10000
03-06-2012, 17:45
20 new pubs to me yesterday in Retford and Worksop brings me up to 80 new pubs for the year.

ETA
06-06-2012, 12:41
April and May together (since I forgot last month): 28 new-to-me pubs making a total of 90 so far this year. Only 60 to go to hit the target.

Pubsignman
11-06-2012, 15:04
I'm up to 147 now after productive weekends in York and Brighton - just three more to go for the magic 150.

Delboy20
14-06-2012, 18:43
Another 2 in Wollaston brings me to 83 so far. Slowing up a bit due to the footie season ending - bring on the euros.

4 new pubs in Chester last week puts me on 87. I have decided not to count any from Amsterdam - I'll stick to UK pubs !!

RogerB
15-06-2012, 08:42
167 days into the year and I'm now on 165 new pubs. Always knew it would be a bit quiet when there's no footy but knocked up 6 in Stratford this week. Have a long weekend in Lyme Regis at the end of the month so should notch up a few there to keep me going.

ROBCamra
20-06-2012, 11:16
Sadly I've visited zero new pubs in the last month. :eek::mad:

Stuck on 59 so far.

At last I'm on the move.

A weekend in Hull, a flying visit to Rhyl and an overnight in Llandudno netted 15 new pubs.

So up to 74 we go. :cheers:

Bucking Fastard
23-06-2012, 22:36
Just hit 100 new pubs for the year,after a brief tour of Hackney and Islington today.I dont think I will be able to keep up that pace in the second half of 2012,but I will give it a go.

Al 10000
24-06-2012, 11:55
Another 14 new pubs to me visited yesterday mainly in Lincolnshire brings my new pubs for the year up to 94.

ETA
26-06-2012, 08:22
Woohoo!! Just realised I've gone over the 100 mark this month, so 2/3 of the way to the 150 target and stil lhalf the drinking year left.

Strongers
26-06-2012, 08:39
I’ve been to one new pub since the PG outing to Carshalton amonth ago.:(

Soup Dragon
26-06-2012, 11:39
I think i am on 186, give or take a few. Not doing many at the moment as need to catch up with the reports outstanding

oldboots
26-06-2012, 13:53
A quick count tells me I'm on 59, must get out of North Yorkshire more.

RogerB
26-06-2012, 14:02
Need 17 by the end of the week to be on target at the half way point. Should manage that with a long weekend in Lyme Regis coming up. Roger's 2012 New Pub Challenge (http://www.dodgeworld.co.uk/page4.html)

Soup Dragon
26-06-2012, 15:00
Need 17 by the end of the week to be on target at the half way point. Should manage that with a long weekend in Lyme Regis coming up. Roger's 2012 New Pub Challenge (http://www.dodgeworld.co.uk/page4.html)

And i thought I took it seriously!:eek:

Al 10000
01-07-2012, 13:30
20 new pubs to me visited yesterday in Norwich brings my new pubs for the year up to 114.

Wittenden
01-07-2012, 21:43
20 new pubs to me visited yesterday in Norwich brings my new pubs for the year up to 114.

101 more than me!

RogerB
02-07-2012, 10:59
14 pubs around the Lyme Regis area over the weekend bringing the current total to 181, 2 short of my target at the half way stage!

ETA
02-07-2012, 11:38
June's new pubs totalled 18, making 108 so far.

Might have to slow donw a bit in July due to being dragged away on holiday abroad.

ROBCamra
11-07-2012, 16:22
At last I'm on the move.

A weekend in Hull, a flying visit to Rhyl and an overnight in Llandudno netted 15 new pubs.

So up to 74 we go. :cheers:

A couple of pubs near Fairfield hospital and a few from the back streets of Salford have added another 7 this week.

So I'm up to 81 now. :cheers:

Delboy20
12-07-2012, 19:05
4 new pubs in Chester last week puts me on 87. I have decided not to count any from Amsterdam - I'll stick to UK pubs !!

Actually managed to have a day off today. As the sun was out for a change I had a walk around Clent and popped in the Hill Tavern. A new one for me so moved on to 88.

A day in Burton on Saturday might get me to treble figures !!

Maldenman
12-07-2012, 19:27
I've slowed down considerably, not really sure why, hope I haven't lost my mojo.

Need a kick up the proverbial I guess.

Delboy20
16-07-2012, 12:48
Actually managed to have a day off today. As the sun was out for a change I had a walk around Clent and popped in the Hill Tavern. A new one for me so moved on to 88.

A day in Burton on Saturday might get me to treble figures !!

Had a good day in Burton with 11 new pubs putting me up to 99.

ROBCamra
16-07-2012, 14:27
A couple of pubs near Fairfield hospital and a few from the back streets of Salford have added another 7 this week.

So I'm up to 81 now. :cheers:

4 new ones in Derby over the weekend bring the total up to 85.

Quinno
16-07-2012, 15:50
I'm on about 50 - this August's trip up to Dronfield should add a good 20+ to that. I'm also doing judging for Central Southern CAMRA Pub of the Year so another 6 or 7 to be had there...I might make 100 by December!

Al 10000
22-07-2012, 14:00

Another 20 new pubs to me done yesterday in Chapletown and High Green bringing my new pubs of the year up to 134.

sheffield hatter
22-07-2012, 20:25
Just got my century today with eight new pubs in Leeds.

RogerB
23-07-2012, 11:03
Managed 4 new ones in Whitstable / Seasalter on Saturday making 188 for the year so far but still 17 behind where I should be. Off to a Music Festival Margate way next Saturday and staying overnight so might be able to notch up a few on the Sunday.

Strongers
23-07-2012, 12:48
I’ve been to one new pub since the PG outing to Carshalton a month ago.:(

I’ve now been to one new pub in the last two months!

This is due to the crap weather, moving house and having birthday bashes and weddings to go to at the weekends. The kids are at home now for the next six weeks which will limit my expeditions, but I’m hoping to get out for a couple of South Coast all-dayers using the Southern Trains Downlander pass which costs £10.

Travel to and from any location in the South Downs area by Southern train services (including Brighton, Southampton, Portsmouth, Bognor Regis, Haywards Heath, Chichester, Eastbourne, Hastings, Rye and Ashford) and have unlimited bus travel within the Downs area.

Farway
24-07-2012, 14:42
I’ve now been to one new pub in the last two months!

This is due to the crap weather, moving house and having birthday bashes and weddings to go to at the weekends. The kids are at home now for the next six weeks which will limit my expeditions, but I’m hoping to get out for a couple of South Coast all-dayers using the Southern Trains Downlander pass which costs £10.

Travel to and from any location in the South Downs area by Southern train services (including Brighton, Southampton, Portsmouth, Bognor Regis, Haywards Heath, Chichester, Eastbourne, Hastings, Rye and Ashford) and have unlimited bus travel within the Downs area.

If you get to Pompey let me know & maybe we can meet up & I will buy you pint

Strongers
25-07-2012, 14:46
I'm not sure that I'll get that far west, but if I do I'll let you know.

Farway
28-07-2012, 13:51
Just back from a 5 day holiday, visited many new pubs and if I can ever get logged back in to the review section [password problems persist] I will post them up, they include the following towns / cities

St Albans, King's Lynn, Hunstanton [awful], Bury St Edmunds [great, smallest pub in UK], Ely, Cambridge & Oxford (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55405/) including Turf Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31818/)

RogerB
31-07-2012, 22:07
Now on 196 following a weekend in Margate & Birchington. Not sure where the next batch will come from!

ETA
01-08-2012, 06:57
July's count is a measly 14 making 122 for the year. Slowing down, but still on target for 150 by December 31.

Delboy20
20-08-2012, 17:55
Had a good day in Burton with 11 new pubs putting me up to 99.

17 new pubs during a week in Wiltshire a couple of weeks back and 4 new pubs in Stourbridge at the weekend puts me up to 120.

Mobyduck
20-08-2012, 19:21
Just been reading through a few posts on this thread and are quite impressed with the the number of pubs some of you guys get through.Its never been a target of mine to aim for,I like to try a new pub or two on a day out were possible but include pubs I know I am going to enjoy as well,I could be missing out on "some hidden gems",(a phrase that annoys me intensely ,but have no idea why,overuse maybe),but also could be confronted with a day of disaster,which with travel and beer costs I couldn't or wouldn't wish to endure to often,hence the play safe bit and include just two or three newbies a time.Having said that ,my recent solo trip to Oxford(my drinking excursions usually number between three and six attendees) was my first ever trip there for drinking purposes and returned a success rate of 6/8. ,happy with that.
Just had a quick count of my new pubs this year to date and it totals a pathetic seventeen,that works out at half a pub a week so far.Maybe next year I will extend myself a little further. :cheers:

RogerB
21-08-2012, 11:49
Booked up for Cambridge Utd v Dartford on BH Monday so expecting to notch up 10/12 new pubs during the course of the day.

Al 10000
22-08-2012, 16:51
Another 20 new pubs to me done yesterday in Chapletown and High Green bringing my new pubs of the year up to 134.

3 new pubs in the middle of Nottingham yesterday and i also made a mistake on my Norwich crawl i did 21 pubs not 20 so my new pubs for the year is now up to 138

Strongers
24-08-2012, 21:49
I did 30 on my recent trip to the Dorset coast which brings my total up to around 390 for the year so far.

RogerB
28-08-2012, 12:32
4 in Woolwich on Sunday followed by 11 in Cambridge yesterday! Now on 219 for the year but still 22 down on my target and not a lot on tne immediate horizon where I'm likely to catch up. Got a weekend in St Albans but I've exhausted all the pubs there so that won't gain me anything. A day in Faversham 22 Sept will be the next major outing followed by Brum unless anything else crops up.

ROBCamra
28-08-2012, 13:56
Am I allowed to count the numerous pubs I visited in the USA over the last 3 weeks to my total or are we restricted to the ones on the site? :p

ETA
29-08-2012, 06:49
Knowing I won't be doing any more new pubs this month, the August tally of 11 new ones brings my year total to 133. All being well, I should hit the 150 in September.

In reply to Rob's comment, I haven't counted any of the overseas pubs/bars I've visited as I haven't been able to review them on here, at leats not on the main site. Millay's excellent GibBlog, though, opens a whole new can of worms.

Bucking Fastard
29-08-2012, 09:53
followed by 11 in Cambridge yesterday!

Just wondering if you came across any "must visits" on your crawl around Cambridge,me and Paul of Horsham are following in your esteemed footsteps on Thursday 13th September:) That should help keep the tally going forward for this year,on 140 new pubs to date.

Al 10000
31-08-2012, 16:37
I did 30 on my recent trip to the Dorset coast which brings my total up to around 390 for the year so far.

Thats a great amount of new pubs done i was struggling to do around 400 a year when i was in full time employment.

Al 10000
31-08-2012, 16:39
3 new pubs in the middle of Nottingham yesterday and i also made a mistake on my Norwich crawl i did 21 pubs not 20 so my new pubs for the year is now up to 138

2 more new pubs one in Long Eaton and one in Nottingham brings me up to 140 new pubs for the year.

Strongers
31-08-2012, 17:51
Thats a great amount of new pubs done i was struggling to do around 400 a year when i was in full time employment.

I'm a mature student... :D

ROBCamra
09-09-2012, 12:14
Another 4 new ones in Leeds over the weekend along with lots of old favourites.

Now up to 89. :cheers:

trainman
23-09-2012, 08:41
My note taking has become almost non-existant these days, so haven't been able to record my failings in respect to this thread, but a very interesting chat with a chap in the Traf yesterday gave me a list of new ones (to me) to investigate in London.

http://thenorthpolepub.co.uk/index.html
http://www.thecocktavern.co.uk/ (sister to Southampton Arms)
Something on Danbury Street, Duke of Cambridge?
http://www.snootyfoxlondon.co.uk/realale.html
Duke's? Haggerston
Also suggested that the Fountain (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23350/) would soon be opeing weekends..

Pubsignman
23-09-2012, 09:58
Duke's? Haggerston

Thanks - some interesting sounding places on that list - the two you are unsure about are:

Earl of Essex, Home of the Earls Brewery - http://www.earlofessex.net/

Dukes Brew and Que, Home of the Beavertown Brewery - http://dukesbrewandque.com/

Bucking Fastard
23-09-2012, 11:18
My note taking has become almost non-existant these days, so haven't been able to record my failings in respect to this thread, but a very interesting chat with a chap in the Traf yesterday gave me a list of new ones (to me) to investigate in London.

Like PSM said,many thanks for passing this info along.Having done a recent crawl along the Overground route formerly known as The North London Line,I can see a reprise coming on to fit in quite a few of the "new to me" venues that you mention.The London real ale drinking scene is improving all the time:)

Al 10000
23-09-2012, 15:39
2 more new pubs one in Long Eaton and one in Nottingham brings me up to 140 new pubs for the year.

8 new pubs done in Nottingham and Beeston brings me up to 148 new pubs for the year,this is well down and what i would have liked to have done.

london calling
23-09-2012, 18:55

http://thenorthpolepub.co.uk/index.html
http://www.thecocktavern.co.uk/ (sister to Southampton Arms)
http://www.snootyfoxlondon.co.uk/realale.html
Duke's? Haggerston
Also suggested that the Fountain (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23350/) would soon be opeing weekends..

i dont as yet review pubs but have been in all those pubs.all good especially the North Star.the Old Fountain is open at weekends .was in there last night.

bcfczuluarmy
23-09-2012, 19:03
280 thus far some have previously been visited but those duplicated are the best part of 10 years ago in the whole.

RogerB
24-09-2012, 10:01
Clocked up 11 at Faversham on Saturday - now on 241, 27 down on my target but with trips to Brum and a few days in Cumbria coming up I hope to make up the difference..

Mobyduck
27-09-2012, 19:48
i dont as yet review pubs but have been in all those pubs.all good especially the North Star.the Old Fountain is open at weekends .was in there last night.

Good news about the Old Fountain, although the website (http://www.oldfountain.co.uk/)doesn't back this up yet, still states Mon-Fri.

trainman
29-09-2012, 13:59
Tried 2 from my new list of 5 (above) last night.
Initially disappointed with North Pole when, at 17:45, there were 5 ciders on handpump, but just 3 of the 5 ale pumps were on, one was a honey beer (no thanks), one was Magic Rock Dark Arts (v.good but a little early for that), plus Darkstar Hylder Blonde (ok). I thought I'd been undercharged at £2 for my two halfs, but when JHB came on we decided to stay for another and, yep, 4 pints £8 - excellent, presumably an early doors offer? Boys 4 beers £8, girls 2 wines £12; still a decent round for a score...

The barman at the Earl of Essex seemed a little stressed, at first, as none of us knew their beers and it was very dimly lit at the bar to read any notes, but he was ok & I warmed to the place as I gradually found the listing from the big blackboard to be printed with tasting notes (visible by streetlamp).
6(?) cask £3.80-£4.00, plus ciders & keg ales & lagers, plus a decent bottle list. I enquired about what size the bottles generally were (330/500ml) and used a Brooklyn IPA (6.9%, £5) as an example - he produced a 750ml bottle from the fridge, so there may be reason to search that list for relatively good deals...

Al 10000
30-09-2012, 17:17
8 new pubs done in Nottingham and Beeston brings me up to 148 new pubs for the year,this is well down and what i would have liked to have done.

15 more pubs i have never been in before visited yesterday in south Derbyshire,Leicestershire and staffordshire takes my total new pubs been in for the year up to 163

oldboots
30-09-2012, 20:25
10 new ones in Burton upon Trent today, hopefully a similar number tomorrow but with better beer. I think I'm around 120 now.

ETA
02-10-2012, 07:57
Another 16 in September (including the ones in Jersey/Guernsey but not those in Europe) bringing the total to 149. Only one to go to hit the target.

Pubsignman
04-10-2012, 15:11
3 pubs in Crawley on Tuesday night have taken me up to 190 for this year - 1 more than I managed in 2011.

Coventry on Saturday should help to edge me closer to 200.

RogerB
09-10-2012, 08:56
21 new pubs over the Brum weekender (only the Welly was a duplication from previous trips) taking my tally up to 262 new pubs in 283 days so still a bit short of my 1 a day target. 5 days in Cumbria coming up so I'm expecting to do around 30/40 which will get things back on track.

sheffield hatter
11-10-2012, 11:12
...taking my tally up to 262 new pubs in 283 days so still a bit short of my 1 a day target. 5 days in Cumbria coming up so I'm expecting to do around 30/40 which will get things back on track.

Good grief! I don't know how you do it. :notworthy:

I went to The Harp (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53779/) and The Star Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22865/) last night, which brings my total to 168 - about 40 more than last year with more than two months to go. No specific target - won't be heartbroken if I don't make it to 200. It would be nice though not to meet any more drunken dick heads like those that I bumped into in the Harp. Yorkshire Dales next week - not exactly renowned for pissed up hooray henrys.

RogerB
11-10-2012, 11:27
Actually, I forgot to include a few I did around Aldgate/Shoreditch a couple of weeks ago. Total should be 267 + 1 I did in Bromley last night so now 268 in 285 days. Incidently SH, thanks for the Foxfield / Broughton in Furness nod. Done some research. 5 or 6 cracking pubs in that area + 2 or 3 good walks. That's one day sorted for next week.

sheffield hatter
11-10-2012, 14:47
Incidently SH, thanks for the Foxfield / Broughton in Furness nod. Done some research. 5 or 6 cracking pubs in that area + 2 or 3 good walks. That's one day sorted for next week.

I should have mentioned this one (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61071/) too, it's a bit further on from Foxfield, about 15 mins walk from Green Road station, which is a request stop. A lovely pub but tends not to open at lunchtimes during the week.

Hope you have a great time in Cumbria.

aleandhearty
12-10-2012, 10:53
Yorkshire Dales next week - not exactly renowned for pissed up hooray henrys.

....Just the occasional pissed off hoary hen rearer.

Coat!

ROBCamra
12-10-2012, 11:25
4 more new pubs yesterday bringing the total up to a paltry 93.

My target of getting to 1000 pubs reviewed looks pretty unlikely now.

934 reviewed and only 8 reviews outstanding and less than 3 months left. :(

Al 10000
12-10-2012, 15:25
15 more pubs i have never been in before visited yesterday in south Derbyshire,Leicestershire and staffordshire takes my total new pubs been in for the year up to 163

2 new pubs in Hucknall and 1 in Nottingham done last Saturday brings my new pubs for the year up to 166.

oldboots
12-10-2012, 15:54
I'm at 155 new pubs following Burton, Gloucester and a couple in the Black Country. Reviews stand at 964 different pubs but I'm up to date with reviews, 1000 by the end of the year is just about possible if I get out more.

Bucking Fastard
15-10-2012, 12:46
A modest tour around Macclesfield has pushed the total up to 173. Not sure that I will make 200 for 2012 as I am now on well trodden canal territory ,but I will have a crack at it.At this rate still a full two years or more away from the magic 1000,yet not too bad considering I only started reviewing in early 2009. Still in the minor league compared with some contributors however :notworthy:

RogerB
18-10-2012, 08:49
33 new pubs dotted around the southern end of Cumbria brining the total to 305 new pubs in 292 days. Back on track!

ROBCamra
20-10-2012, 12:43
On the move again!!! Now up to 105. :cheers:

I was Billy-No-Mates yesterday. For various reasons none of the Friday boys were out.

I took advantage by taking a trip to Middleton where I collected 12 new pubs in the town and on the bus route home.

Sheffield & York visits this week will hopefully add a couple more, but we've been in almost all the decent places in those cities.

ROBCamra
27-10-2012, 12:27
Managed to get in 4 new ones in Sheffield, 6 in York and the newly opened The Blue Pig (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/78340/) in Manchester yesterday before the SIBA beer festival.

Now up to 116. :cheers:

Pubsignman
27-10-2012, 12:59
I managed to drink my way around 18 new pubs during an excellent couple of days in Nottingham/Beeston this week, so my running total is up to 224.

Delboy20
31-10-2012, 19:30
17 new pubs during a week in Wiltshire a couple of weeks back and 4 new pubs in Stourbridge at the weekend puts me up to 120.

A wedding do in Wakefield and a weekend in Fishguard has moved me up to 142 so far.

Easy on for the 150 now ...

aleandhearty
01-11-2012, 11:56
A wedding do in Wakefield

Ah, yes. I'd almost forgotten. Where did you get to in the end, Delboy? Any particular favourites?

ROBCamra
03-11-2012, 11:21
9 new ones in Eccles last night brings me up to 125. :cheers:

Maldenman
03-11-2012, 12:30
A quick tot up has me on 115, room for improvement, 5/10 :o

I would however have been in Burton for the football today had Burton Albion been able to host a home fixture on the same day Derby do, tomorrow is a non starter. That would have racked up a good few decent pubs I'm sure.

ETA
05-11-2012, 09:43
18 new pubs during October, bringing the total to 167 - have smashed through the 150 target.

Now, what about 2013...?

sheffield hatter
07-11-2012, 17:27
The only good thing to come out of last night's defeat for the Hatters was the chance to notch a few more new pubs: three in Leominster and four in Hereford. Now on 194 and tantalisingly close to my (admittedly rather vague) target of 200 for the year.

RogerB
08-11-2012, 13:02
The only good thing to come out of last night's defeat for the Hatters was the chance to notch a few more new pubs: three in Leominster and four in Hereford. Now on 194 and tantalisingly close to my (admittedly rather vague) target of 200 for the year.

Will be doing the rounds in Luton on Saturday if you're around - can't hang around after the match as I'm out in the evening and need to get back so will cram as much in pre-match as possible. Arriving around 10.30/10.45 and targeted the Bricklayers, Painters, English Rose, Black Horse, London Hatter and White House + whatever else we can fit in - all new to me - never drunk in Luton before.

sheffield hatter
08-11-2012, 21:07
Will be doing the rounds in Luton on Saturday if you're around ...

...unfortunately not, as I have to be at work. Also the return fixture in Dartford is going to be extremely difficult for me to get to as it's a Tuesday in February when I'll be on my way back from a trip to France the previous weekend.

Bricklayers, Painters, English Rose, Black Horse, London Hatter and White House

I've never been in the Painters. Last I heard there was no real ale, though it's a cracking building and maybe just worth the visit for that. I've not been in the Black Horse for a while - some of my mates decided the beer quality was a bit variable, and I must admit it's not as consistently good as either the Brickies or the Rose.

Probably the best pubs around here are in Dunstable: the Globe (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1127/) and the Victoria (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1158/). It's not far by bus or taxi and if you're starting at 10.30 you've plenty of time before kick off.

RogerB
11-11-2012, 08:13
6 pubs and 3 points from our afternoon jaunt around Luton. SH - Was speaking to the manager in the Painters and she informed me that they are looking at introducing ales. The Black Horse wasn't open at lunchtime. Did manage the 2 'Spoons, the Bricklayers, Brewery Tap and the English Rose though. All in all, better than I expected. Also crammed in the Craft Beer Co in Brixton prior to my evening gig so 7 new pubs yesterday bringing the total to 323 after 316 days. On track!

http://www.dodgeworld.co.uk/page4.html

sheffield hatter
11-11-2012, 09:49
Congratulations on the result (I mean the football, not the new pubs score).

Al 10000
11-11-2012, 10:52
2 new pubs in Hucknall and 1 in Nottingham done last Saturday brings my new pubs for the year up to 166.

21 new pubs for me done yesterday mainly in the Burslem area of Stoke,this brings my new pubs done for the year up to 187,now where near as many as i would have liked to have done.

Maldenman
11-11-2012, 12:45
21 new pubs for me done yesterday mainly in the Burslem area of Stoke,this brings my new pubs done for the year up to 187,now where near as many as i would have liked to have done.

Alan, I presume you drink halves even so that is a remarkable tally! Well done that man. :notworthy:

Mobyduck
11-11-2012, 17:26
Alan, I presume you drink halves even so that is a remarkable tally! Well done that man. :notworthy:
Ten and a half pints is a decent session, if its 21 pints ,that truly is remarkable.:drinkup:

Al 10000
11-11-2012, 17:34

Yes only halfs,that way i can do more pubs but as i get older i am slowing down so 21 or 22 halfs is my limit, it used to be a lot more than that when in my 20s and 30s.

sheffield hatter
12-11-2012, 07:37
A crawl in the Greenhill-Bradway-Totley area of Sheffield brought me to 201 yesterday.

Al 10000
28-11-2012, 16:53

3 new pubs done yesterday in the Nottingham area brings my new pubs done for the year up to 190.

ETA
29-11-2012, 17:20
Having achieved my target count this year I thought I might try a different aproach next year, and rather than work on numbers of pubs, I will do it by geography. I've already covered some postcodes completely, so I thougt I'd try finishing off soem others. This will make for a more interesting set of crawls, I think, and will lead me to go to pubs I might not otherwise have visited. So, probably a reduced number of new ubs but a bit more fun along the way.

Any other novel approaches?

Strongers
29-11-2012, 17:39
Any other novel approaches?

A year of only going to clubs and bars? ;)

How about trying to go to as many pubs as possible for a single brewery.

Rex_Rattus
29-11-2012, 22:23
I've been trying to get to all the CAMRA London Regional Inventory pubs (all the ones that are still open that is). I still have 19 left to get to, and would really like to get to them all during 2013. I've ended up in some places that I would never otherwise think of visiting. It's a bit of an adventure, and of course having gone to an area to visit a specific pub, one of course feels obliged to sample some others in the general area. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like visiting these special pubs.

RogerB
30-11-2012, 14:29
I've been trying to get to all the CAMRA London Regional Inventory pubs
That's one of my challenges also. Managed to get to the Blacksmiths Arms at Broughton Mills last month. Was an 8 mile round hike from Foxfield station but had to be done (via 4 pubs in Broughtoin in Furness of course). One of the more obscure efforts.

Looking like I may fall short of my annual target unless I get my act together over Xmas and do a few trips although I have a blank canvas tomorrow to take in an obscure footy match and a batch of new pubs somewhere.

Al 10000
30-11-2012, 15:21
A year of only going to clubs and bars? ;)

How about trying to go to as many pubs as possible for a single brewery.

I have been doing that for years firstly doing nearly all Shipstones tied house,then Home Ales and Kimberley after that i went on to the Manchester breweries and did almost every Joseph Holt tied house plus most JW Lees and Hydes tied houses,it was then onto Robinsons of Stockport i managed over 250 of their pubs.

I then went down south and did 140 Youngs tied houses but not quite as many Fullers houses.
I then did lots of Arkells tied houses and Palmers tied houses.

More recently i did all 15 Donnington tied houses on the 7 May 2011 and did 14 Hook Norton tied houses in one day.

I could go on and on about all the different brewery tied houses i have gone after over the years.

sheffield hatter
30-11-2012, 15:53
More recently i did all 15 Donnington tied houses on the 7 May 2011 and did 14 Hook Norton tied houses in one day.

I don't know how you do it!

ROBCamra
30-11-2012, 16:03
I don't know how you do it!

3 liver transplants so far? :p