PDA

View Full Version : Hey Soupy !!

Delboy20
10-01-2012, 19:58
Just noticed your reviews of the Moon and the Wizard and Glass in lovely Cradley Heath. I went in both on Saturday night - along with a few others !!

When were you in my town ??

Where else did you go as I can't believe you only went in 2 pubs ??

Del.

Soup Dragon
11-01-2012, 13:09
Hi Del.

I did all day Saturday - well, till the 9.30 train home.

I did the Moon, Roost, Elephant & Castle, Plough & Harrow, Bull Terrier, Swan and Victoria. I did Vine and Rose and Crown (but not to review - in too brief)

I play footy up the road, so will pop into Cradley after and hoepfully do Holly Bush (opens at strange hours i hear) and Jays (as i will be thirsty and drink a shandy as i can't see it being that great)

Before the end of the month we will be returning to do the swan, rose and vine again and the others out towards our destination (POW, Spring, Riddins, Waggon) which would be the Waterfall.

Why on earth would a cultured gentleman like yourself be in the Wizard - you didn't have the dog did you?????

Delboy20
11-01-2012, 19:25
Just read your review of the Plough - I'm afraid a few of my local pubs are for the daring :D

You will do well to catch the Hollybush open though - I have no idea what the hours are. I had an e-mail from the gaffer a while back saying he was struggling and would only open when there was something on. Every time I have passed it since it has been shut !!

As for Jays, I hope you like loud singing :whistle:

I have been called many things but cultured is a new one. It was actually the first time I had been in the Wizard for well over a year. I was on the way back from Colley Gate and thought I would pop my head in. I also popped in the Rose and Crown ( Potters ). It is just like going back in time 20 years in there.

Del.

Soup Dragon
12-01-2012, 08:56
Yes, the Rose and Crown was sheer class - 60s indeed, but in a nice way - the gaffer in a suit, waistcoat and tie - Banks's cask MILD on elec tap - we were supposed to have a swift half in there and the Vine as we had to get the train (we would know if worth doing again then) R&C we had another swift half as the first lasted 2 seconds and found the Vine had Enville Ale. I am looking forward to going back. Will try the Bush, and Timbertree later - then get Jays out of the way with a swift half if either of the first two are closed. The Bush looked deserted, but still lived in, so will pop back a few times and see (fingers crossed).

If you are around sometime for a half, or two on a Thu night, let me know, be good to meet-up!

To let you know - the pub of the day was the Swan, then R&C, Vine, Moon, Elephant (known to us as the Mumfie Arms), Victoria and Bull equal, then down to the Plough (Scored better by my mate as he beat me at darts and had a more drinkable pint), then Roost and finally, the Wizard.

Soup Dragon
24-01-2012, 15:46
Hi Del

Do you know what is going on at the Spills Meadow (next to Satchmos). It has boards on the windows but appears to be open

Delboy20
24-01-2012, 17:23
Hi Del

Do you know what is going on at the Spills Meadow (next to Satchmos). It has boards on the windows but appears to be open

Hi Soupy,

I am assuming you mean the Spring Meadow ?:confused:

I haven't heard anything about it closing but I haven't been up Old Hill for a few weeks. It always looks as though it isn't open to be honest.

I used to use the "Medda" quite often. in fact we had a Black Country Villa supporters club based there for a few years. As far as I know they still open very early for local derby / early kick off matches. I will find out if it has closed.

I see you managed to visit a few more of my locals. If you are down here again it may be worth you visiting the Liberal club. It is a new building on the main road opposite the library. You don't have to be a member to go in the room on the left as you enter the building. Not sure about real ale but there is a snooker table, pool table and a dart board !! I am pretty sure you will be alright for MILD though.

I have debated adding it to the site as anyone can go in but I'm not sure I want to open up that can of worms again !!:D:D

Del

Soup Dragon
24-01-2012, 19:16
Hi Soupy,

I am assuming you mean the Spring Meadow ?:confused:

I haven't heard anything about it closing but I haven't been up Old Hill for a few weeks. It always looks as though it isn't open to be honest.

I used to use the "Medda" quite often. in fact we had a Black Country Villa supporters club based there for a few years. As far as I know they still open very early for local derby / early kick off matches. I will find out if it has closed.

I see you managed to visit a few more of my locals. If you are down here again it may be worth you visiting the Liberal club. It is a new building on the main road opposite the library. You don't have to be a member to go in the room on the left as you enter the building. Not sure about real ale but there is a snooker table, pool table and a dart board !! I am pretty sure you will be alright for MILD though.

I have debated adding it to the site as anyone can go in but I'm not sure I want to open up that can of worms again !!:D:D

Del

Yes, mate - the Spring Meadow - as i say, it seemed to be boarded up, but people came out! I went into the Cottage - it said it was Black Country Ales, but alas, there was no real ale. Still have a few to write-up but have finished Cradley and Old Hill, except Wagon & Horses, which was closed Sunday lunch and the 'Medda'- will pop in on Thursday.