PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 15th January 2012)

ROBCamra
09-01-2012, 15:51
Quinno: Red Squirrel West Coast Stout
Oggwyn Trench: Welbeck Abbey Cavendish
gillhalfpint: Milestone IPA
Spinko: Greenfield Icicle
Bucking Fastard: Abbeydale Deception
Alesonly: Slaters Haka New Zealand Pale Ale
Pubsignman: Red Squirrel West Coast Stout
ROBCamra: Kelham Island Blonde
oldboots: Hawkshead Windermere Pale
RogerB: Magic Rock Rapture

ROBCamra
11-01-2012, 11:01
Decent start to the drinking week last night in The Baum.

Innocence from Plain brewery was a pleasant pint and Mallinsons Danger Hops did exactly what it said on the badge.

Wychwood January Sale was on the bar. This year they've reduced the ABV from 3.8% to 2.8% but it's still the same price to buy a 9. Simply theft. :moremad:

Needless to say I didn't bother with it.

Blue Monkey Geurrilla was a great dark beer and Great Oakley Wagtail was reasonable although a bit astringent on the taste buds.

Blue Monkey in the lead at the moment. :cheers:

gillhalfpint
11-01-2012, 11:54
Intended to do 5 pubs yesterday in Birmingham, but starting at the Post Office Vaults meant we had a couple of beers from the excellent foreign beer menu, which meant we only got round three.

Milestone IPA
Beowulf Glutlusty
Cazeau Tournay Blond
Roman Adriaen Brouwer Dark Gold
Brass Monkey A chimp off the ol' block
Rat Dirty Rat - not to my taste at all
Batemans Veto Ale
Butcombe Rare Breed

Foreign BOTW has to be the Roman - had it in Belgium at Xmas and delighted to find it on the PO Vaults menu.
UK BOTW so far is Milestone IPA though.

Quinno
11-01-2012, 22:46
Posting early, but if anything beats the Red Squirrel West Coast Stout at The Nags Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1691/) I will be surprised. A lovely, tasty, chewy beer. And all the better when people are buying you freebies for your birthday :D

Honourable mention to Ascot Alligator. :drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
14-01-2012, 10:34
Apart from a few pre-match pints this afternoon my weeks drinking is over :(

Mallinsons - Enviro
Mallinsons - Admiral Chinook
Wyre Piddle - Frosty Piddle
Salamander - Golden Salamander
Welbeck Abbey - Cavendish
Wadworth - 6x

BOTW Welbeck Abbey - Cavendish

gillhalfpint
14-01-2012, 11:25
Beers in Sheffield yesterday:
Dark Star Smoked Porter
Thornbridge Pivni
Brightside Winter Ale
Brightside The Beast
By The Horns Stiff upper lip
By the horns Diamond geezers
By the horns Jolly Fatman
Welbeck Abbey St Simon
Black Hole Aleien
Abbeydale Transformation
Brentwood Winter warmer
Nelson Helmsman
Raw Summit Pale Ale
Blue Bee Lustin for stout
Blue bee Bees knees bitter
Blue bee Nectar Pale

Reckon the Milestone IPA from earlier this week still my BOTW despite some really enjoyable ones in Sheffield.

Quinno
14-01-2012, 11:26
Wychwood January Sale was on the bar. This year they've reduced the ABV from 3.8% to 2.8% but it's still the same price to buy a 9. Simply theft. :moremad:

They've also reduced the abv of the previously tasty O Be Joyful, their Xmas beer. No reduction in price, mind...

Spinko
14-01-2012, 15:50
Riverhead - Leggers Light. Almost clear :eek: at the Riverhead Tap, Marsden. Absolutely thriving pub at 12:30 due to Huddersfield being at home. great atmosphere not even dented by a couple of coppers walking in.

Brewdog - Punk IPA. For once the wet dishcloth smell had gone and it was pure fruit. This was at the Port Street Beer House. Brilliant as always. Brewdog rarely let you down..

Buxton - Axe Edge. Surprisingly spotted at Paramount Wetherspoons in Manchester. Enjoyed with a 50p CAMRA voucher courtesy of my brother so less than £2 for a 6.8% pint. Great alcohol per pound value - for students of course!

Greenfield - Icicle. Sampled at the Stalybridge Buffet Bar. Had to wait half an hour for this as I arrived at 10:30am thinking that if it was open, they'd be serving. Well it ain't a Wetherspoons. This went down very well, and for some reason, I was the only person in the place served my pint in a glass glass, rather than a plastic glass. The subsequent Greenfield-Dobcross was much more disappointing.

Sportsman Brewing Company - Beautiful Blue. Wiped away the taste of their pretty poor Deco IPA. Lovely pub, great atmosphere, with lots of both Huddersfield and Oldham fans enjoying beer. Usually you only get two sets of fans like this up north ahead of rugby league games. Beer was hoppy and light, as all the best beers are...

Award for this week goes to the Greenfield - Icicle.

Bucking Fastard
15-01-2012, 12:12
Good selection of beers supped this week,mainly around the outer fringes of West London but BOTW goes to Abbeydale Deception downed in The York ,Broomhill.A beautiful pale ale using Nelson Sauvin hops,grapefruit and bitter.I was most impressed.

Alesonly
15-01-2012, 12:48
Best Three Ales this week were
Old Ale By Adnams
Late Red By Shepherd & Neame
Slaters Haka New Zealand Pale Ale by Eccleshall Brewery

Beer Of the Week Gose too the Slaters Haka New Zealand Pale Ale by Eccleshall Brewery

Pubsignman
16-01-2012, 13:19
Posting early, but if anything beats the Red Squirrel West Coast Stout at The Nags Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1691/) I will be surprised. A lovely, tasty, chewy beer. And all the better when people are buying you freebies for your birthday

Very pleased to find the Red Squirrel West Coast Stout on in the Harp on Saturday, especially after Quinno's post reminded me that it has been ages since I last saw it. They also had their London Porter on as well, which was great as well, but the stout edges it.

Other good ones this week included Dark Star Hophead, Blue Monkey Guerilla, Westerham Puddledock Porter and Young's Winter Warmer.

oldboots
16-01-2012, 13:44
Lots of choice following a day in York and some pub surveys for Camra,

Daleside - Square Rigger IPA
Hawkshead - Windermere Pale
Yorkshire Dales - Deer Park
Rudgate - Ruby Mild
Copper Dragon - Golden Pippin
York - Guzzler
Great Heck - Yorkshire Navigator
Marston Moor - Cromwells Pale
Ilkley - Lotus IPA
Treboom - Drumbeat
Hardknott - Code Black
Black Dog - Schooner
Durham - Apollo
Salamander - Hanzaki
Castle Rock - Screech Owl

the Lake District comes top this week with the best being a choice between Hardknott and Hawkshead but the Hawkshead Windermere Pale was just that bit nicer.

ROBCamra
18-01-2012, 10:38
A normal Saturday trip between The Baum and The Regal Moon through up quite a few decent beers on Saturday.

A trip through Shaw & Milnrow on Friday only threw up a couple despite visiting 13 pubs.

An honourary mention to Little Valley Withens IPA & Marston's Wai-Iti (again) tried in The Waggon Inn & Moonspinners both in Milnrow.

Kelham Blonde was great in The Baum as was Mallinsons Luna & Rudgate Admiral's Cheer.

Elland Galaxy in The Regal Moon also had a chance.

But overall I think Kelham Island Blonde wins it from Blue Monkey Guerrilla. :cheers:

RogerB
18-01-2012, 10:47
A cracking week for beers that have included a mini soho crawl, a jaunt around Crouch End and sessions in the Southampton Arms in Gospel Oak and the Bricklayers in Putney. Goodies have included a couple of Isle of Purbecks, Sambrook Powerhouse Porter, Jesrey liberation IPA, Wold Top Dawn O' Time, Old Dairy AK 1911 (a resurrected post WWI ale), East London Nightwatchman (first for me from this new London micro), Dark Star Critical Mass (a killer) and several others but the one I have starred on my list for the week is Magic Rock Rapture at the Southampton Arms. Just as well I had highlighted it as the 7.8 Critical Mass I had afterwards has taken most of my memory away from everything else!

Old Blue
06-02-2012, 08:35
A pretty uninspiring week for me, thisone:
Cottage Western Champion
Titanic Plum Porter
Cottage Tornado
Purity Mad Goose
Ireally didn’t like Titanic’s plum porter. I have horrid flashbacks to havingrashly declared Cottage to be one of my favourite breweries of last year, andapologies to A&H and others who must have thought I’d lost my marbles, mymemory, or my tastebuds. It was evidently a blip. So it has to be Purity Mad Goose, a decent pint drunkin the Punch Tavern in Fleet St.