PDA

View Full Version : Hoppy's Pub Crawl plan for 9th Feb

hopwas
04-02-2010, 13:45
Hi fellow PG forumers,

Many of you know I regularly do pub crawls around in Midlands..

I have decided go for something different.. something I have never done.

What I will do is tick off JDWs in each area, Borough, District in B'ham/Black Country many I can. Only I can use bus not trams or trains. I got advantage of tick off JDWs as they open earlier at 9am giving me plenty of times to get around.

JDWs I will be aiming for is.. ( in no particular order)

The Hornet, Alum Rock (only JDW I never been in North East B'ham)
The Arthur Roberston, Perry Barr (Brand new JDW opened two weeks ago)
The Billiard Hall, West Bromwich
The Elizabeth of York, Moseley (revisit)
Pear Tree, Kings Heath (revisit)
The William Shenstone, Halesowen.

Possibly (If I got the time)..

The Edward Rutland, Stourbridge
The Bellweather, Wednesbury
The Imperial, Walsall (It would be my final JDW of the day as they do have bus back to Lichfield)
plus few others I havent decided yet.

Farway
04-02-2010, 16:55
Pub crawls set me thinking, I don't "do" crawls as such, and round here pubs open midday or even later

However what I will do come the finer weather & lighter days is do a long crawl along the River Meon pubs, there are many that either back onto, or have it running nearby

Not plotted the route yet but the source is between Clanfield & East Meon so looks like the two pubs in East Meon will be the start point, as no buses out in the sticks it will have to be driving, so limits the drinking & pubs

BTW, as a spin off from the train station thread, Google Maps seems to thing the Meon starts at Warnford [George & Falcon], luckily I know better

Soup Dragon
04-02-2010, 17:15
The Clifden in Sedgley has re-opened Hoppy, i did visit, so read my review - i am sure you will take no notice, Squire!

I am doing Walsall on Friday and Gornal on Sunday - oh what a pain!

Delboy20
04-02-2010, 20:42
Hi fellow PG forumers,

Many of you know I regularly do pub crawls around in Midlands..

I have decided go for something different.. something I have never done.

What I will do is tick off JDWs in each area, Borough, District in B'ham/Black Country many I can. Only I can use bus not trams or trains. I got advantage of tick off JDWs as they open earlier at 9am giving me plenty of times to get around.

JDWs I will be aiming for is.. ( in no particular order)

The Hornet, Alum Rock (only JDW I never been in North East B'ham)
The Arthur Roberston, Perry Barr (Brand new JDW opened two weeks ago)
The Billiard Hall, West Bromwich
The Elizabeth of York, Moseley (revisit)
Pear Tree, Kings Heath (revisit)
The William Shenstone, Halesowen.

Possibly (If I got the time)..

The Edward Rutland, Stourbridge
The Bellweather, Wednesbury
The Imperial, Walsall (It would be my final JDW of the day as they do have bus back to Lichfield)
plus few others I havent decided yet.

Hi Hoppy,

Been in all those apart from the new one at Perry Barr. You could try and fit Blackheath, Cradley Heath, Dudley or Merry Hill (2 there) in.
Cradley Heath is my home town and possibly one of the worst wethers I have ever been in !!!

Cheers,

Del.

hopwas
04-02-2010, 20:48
Hi Hoppy,

Been in all those apart from the new one at Perry Barr. You could try and fit Blackheath, Cradley Heath, Dudley or Merry Hill (2 there) in.
Cradley Heath is my home town and possibly one of the worst wethers I have ever been in !!!

Cheers,

Del.

According to my JDW directory

There is no JDW in Blackheath unless it is new JDW. Merry Hill is bit out of place for me.

Noted down The Moon under the water, Cradley Heath. thanks!

Hoppy

hopwas
04-02-2010, 21:12
Hey Delboy..

Map for one in Perry Barr.. You can see "Argos Extra" on map. That's where The Arthur Robertson is now situated

http://www.onestop-shopping.co.uk/stores.php

Hope this helps

Hoppy

Delboy20
04-02-2010, 23:05
According to my JDW directory

There is no JDW in Blackheath unless it is new JDW. Merry Hill is bit out of place for me.

Noted down The Moon under the water, Cradley Heath. thanks!

Hoppy

Hey Hoppy,

It is listed under Rowley Regis - The Britannia -http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56994/

Used to be called The Travellers Rest many years ago

Cheers,

Del.

hopwas
05-02-2010, 07:27
Hey Hoppy,

It is listed under Rowley Regis - The Britannia -http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56994/

Used to be called The Travellers Rest many years ago

Cheers,

Del.

Thats what I thought. Already noted down.. Easy and nice short trip from Rowley Regis and Cradley Heath.

Oh do you know what bus number that goes from Rowley to Cradley.

Cheers

Hoppy

trainman
05-02-2010, 08:55
... it will have to be driving

Sorry Farway, the objective will be defeated at the outset!

arwkrite
05-02-2010, 09:48
Hi Hoppy,
Cradley Heath is my home town and possibly one of the worst wethers I have ever been in

As I my have said before the 'Spoons in Kidderminster had a suicidal air about it. I dont mind the select club of no hopers you always get in JDWs ,for who knows what the future may hold for one, but this lot had even given up on that. Perhaps its just the fact that they live Kidderminster. I could not wait to get out of the place, a feeling I normally get when violence is about to breakout, before depression induced communal self harm began .Never been back since.

I could always do a crawl of Bromyard pubs, all five of them, all situated along the main street and no transport costs.Trouble is there's no sense of adventure. I think I may be feeling depressed,JdWs in Kidderminster is begining to look good..

trainman
05-02-2010, 10:14
Just to give you early notification Hoppy - I received, this morning, an e-mail from The Crosse Keys (Gracechurch St), advising that the next regular 'spoons fest will run 07-18April after which the 3rd Crosse Keys Superfest will commence, running until 26Apr with 100 UK ales, up to 2 dozen on at any one time. So, if you wanna tick off a premier 'spoons, look out for travel deals between now & then...

ROBCamra
05-02-2010, 10:50
Just to give you early notification Hoppy - I received, this morning, an e-mail from The Crosse Keys (Gracechurch St), advising that the next regular 'spoons fest will run 07-18April after which the 3rd Crosse Keys Superfest will commence, running until 26Apr with 100 UK ales, up to 2 dozen on at any one time. So, if you wanna tick off a premier 'spoons, look out for travel deals between now & then...

Strangely I still quite like the Crosse Keys despite the fact that usually when I go in it just means that there is a much larger selection of beer that I can't get served with :moremad:

hopwas
05-02-2010, 11:47

Thanks for heads up. Pity I wont be in London till June/July at earliest. I noticed in JDW directory, nearest tube is either Bank or Monument so which one is nearest and how long to take me walk?

Thanks again

Hoppy

trainman
05-02-2010, 11:58
Thanks for heads up. Pity I wont be in London till June/July at earliest. I noticed in JDW directory, nearest tube is either Bank or Monument so which one is nearest and how long to take me walk?

Equi-distant, but Monument may be marginally more direct; less than 5mins either way. Being a saarf of the river boy, I get a train to London Bridge & a bus from there. May walk over the bridge on a nice day - I think the view of HMS Belfast with Tower Bridge in the background is one of London's quintessential sights.
Ha! That all makes me sound like a regular. I'm not, but Borough is good drinking territory and, if you head toward Crosse Keys, you're also in the right direction for Pride of Spitalfields. Mmmm, Crouch Vale Brewers Gold...

Delboy20
05-02-2010, 21:05
Thats what I thought. Already noted down.. Easy and nice short trip from Rowley Regis and Cradley Heath.

Oh do you know what bus number that goes from Rowley to Cradley.

Cheers

Hoppy

" 404 A " runs every 30 mins - takes about 15 mins

hopwas
06-02-2010, 10:49
" 404 A " runs every 30 mins - takes about 15 mins

Ta! Thanks very much, Del!

Hoppy

EDIT: I forget.. where can I catch bus in Rowley and drop off in Cradley (close to JDW as possible)

hopwas
06-02-2010, 11:03
I am keeping close eye on weather for this Tuesday. Sky News forecast the temperature will be struggling above freezing point and it could be problems with transports.

Let's hope the forecast is wrong... :pray:

arwkrite
06-02-2010, 11:32
Watch Out Here comes Hoppy and a few drinking mates :cheers: :notworthy::drinkup:

Is that Soupy and RunningDog leading the string?

MUSH MUSH.

hopwas
06-02-2010, 11:35
:D:D:D

If Brum is covered in snow then I may look like this...

http://www.valdivedro.it/proloco/skiing.gif/image

arwkrite
06-02-2010, 11:38
Where ? Mucklow Hill ?

hopwas
06-02-2010, 11:40
Where ? Mucklow Hill ?

Brum is very hilly place you know... :whistle:

arwkrite
06-02-2010, 11:51
Take a trip to Barr Beacon. I remember sledging as a very young tot. Understandably I cannot recommend any pubs.

hopwas
06-02-2010, 11:56
Take a trip to Barr Beacon. I remember sledging as a very young tot. Understandably I cannot recommend any pubs.

Ha! Barr Beacon.. haven't been there for years! I remember pub called Old Irish Harp somewhere near Barr Beacon. Nice pub by the way

EDIT: here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38895/

Soup Dragon
06-02-2010, 18:54
Ha! Barr Beacon.. haven't been there for years! I remember pub called Old Irish Harp somewhere near Barr Beacon. Nice pub by the way

EDIT: here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38895/

It has changed a lot, young Hoppy - it is now a foody place

hopwas
07-02-2010, 12:20
It has changed a lot, young Hoppy - it is now a foody place

Last time I went to Old Irish Harp was in around 2004/05. I am sure it was already foody place, old squire.

hopwas
07-02-2010, 12:22
I am keeping close eye on weather for this Tuesday. Sky News forecast the temperature will be struggling above freezing point and it could be problems with transports.

Let's hope the forecast is wrong... :pray:

LATEST

Weather for this Tuesday is looking very good.. Sunny with high of 5c and low of -3c.

For the first time in ages.. I feel like a boy in sweet shop. Plenty of JDWs to tick off..

Eddie86
09-02-2010, 08:17
Brum is very hilly place you know... :whistle:

Glad you told me, might have missed the hills otherwise...

RogerB
09-02-2010, 11:38
It's 11.30am and there are no reports of any incidents yet on the local BBC news website. Wetherspoons share price is currently up 7.5p to 436.5p so he must have had his first pint. :whistle:

hopwas
10-02-2010, 09:59
I am back!!! What a mad day in West Midlands, Especially Creadley Heath.. reports will be on here later on!