PDA

View Full Version : brewdog Nottingham, Leeds and Newcastle

hondo
04-01-2012, 09:15
all to open by the end of march
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/brewdog-nottingham-and-brewdog-leeds

Bucking Fastard
04-01-2012, 09:54
Interesting comment at the bottom of the page from StevieBoiy,to which I agree completely.

gillhalfpint
04-01-2012, 10:02
If you mean the comment that cask is great and keg is gassy, I agree too. Lots of Brewdog fans will get a shock if all these new bars are keg only.

Spinko
05-01-2012, 18:14
Bring it on, it'll be a great addition to the south-centre Leeds crawl. Heavily hopped beers like Brewdog's are best with a bit of carbonation. Brewdog fans are interested in good beer, not in some archaic debate on the merits or whatever of dispense methods. We'll leave that to the self-important bloggers. If it allows good beer like Brewdog's to become more widespread, then all the better. Great news for beer lovers.

oldboots
05-01-2012, 20:24
BREWDOG Leeds :D -I'm not sure an industrially styled outlet for cold, fizzy, cloudy, overpriced, over-hyped beer is good news for anyone with functioning critical facilties.

I think more outlets for Magic Rock or Mallinsons would be a cause for celebration.

oldboots
05-01-2012, 20:29
Lots of Brewdog fans will get a shock if all these new bars are keg only.

They will be all keg according to Brewdog, and Camden Town Brewery has gone all keg too, the new Watneys and Whitbread of modern times using the same tired old arguments of the 1960s.

Lest we forget "DD is K9P"

ROBCamra
06-01-2012, 07:11
and Camden Town Brewery has gone all keg too,

Must have been very recently.

Had a pint of Camden Town Showboat last week in the York Tap. It definitely wasn't keg.

oldboots
06-01-2012, 07:25
Must have been very recently.

All explained in a PM.

Bucking Fastard
06-01-2012, 08:48
I think more outlets for Magic Rock or Mallinsons would be a cause for celebration.

I know this is off topic,but any chance of finding these in Liverpool,ob ?

gillhalfpint
06-01-2012, 09:27
We had the Camden Town cask beer (Showboat) in the York Tap too, on 17th Dec. Definately not keg.

We tried their keg Wheat and keg Ink in York Tap but found it too cold and won't be chasing keg beers. Only tried it at York Tap as it was a heck of a lot cheaper than the keg in Craft Beer Co in London when we were down there, so I don't think I'll be chasing Brewdog either when I see their keg beers.

oldboots
06-01-2012, 10:04

Probably not*, they're West Yorkshire brews but on the bright side Liverpool Organic, George Wright, Wapping, Pheonix, and Bowland are all good beers regularly available in Liverpool.

*I thought the Ship & Mitre may get them occasionally but not according to their website, their current list (http://www.theshipandmitre.com/real/) is still mouth watering.

ROBCamra
06-01-2012, 10:12

Good chance in Rochdale. 3 different barrels of Mallinsons in the cellar in The Baum. :notworthy:

hondo
24-01-2012, 09:28
"hope to open on 25th February"
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/brewdog-nottingham

gillhalfpint
24-01-2012, 09:39
"hope to open on 25th February"
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/brewdog-nottingham

They say look forward to 14 draft beers, but have already told Nottingham CAMRA they will not be selling cask beer, only keg.

hondo
24-01-2012, 10:48
They say look forward to 14 draft beers, but have already told Nottingham CAMRA they will not be selling cask beer, only keg.
As an alcohol slut i drink anything keg, cask, real, craft, smooth, creamy, cold, extra cold, smoothflow whatever name its given or how its dispensed :drinkup:

aleandhearty
30-01-2012, 12:52
Bring it on, it'll be a great addition to the south-centre Leeds crawl.

BREWDOG Leeds :D -I'm not sure an industrially styled outlet for cold, fizzy, cloudy, overpriced, over-hyped beer is good news for anyone with functioning critical facilties.

Had a quick look see at the site when I was in Leeds last week. It's adjacent to the right hand side of Pizza Express, behind the Corn Exchange. It's surprisingly small, 'bijou' in estate agent parlance, or what Father Jack would call 'feckin' tiny'. As the Pizza Express courtyard is directly behind, there's no apparent room for expansion either. So as well as keg beer, you'll be standing cheek by jowl with the riverside uber-trendies. Can't wait.

Spinko
31-01-2012, 19:07
Had a quick look see at the site when I was in Leeds last week. It's adjacent to the right hand side of Pizza Express, behind the Corn Exchange. It's surprisingly small, 'bijou' in estate agent parlance, or what Father Jack would call 'feckin' tiny'. As the Pizza Express courtyard is directly behind, there's no apparent room for expansion either. So as well as keg beer, you'll be standing cheek by jowl with the riverside uber-trendies. Can't wait.

It looks like the sort of place you have to go to at opening on a Saturday or on a midweek afternoon. Much like North Bar.. Fortunately there's Foley's still, plus about ten others round Leeds for more peaky times. And then Duck and Drake for a Friday evening.

It's main impact may be in seeing more Brewdog beer in other places in the city centre, I hope..

Spinko
07-02-2012, 19:11
Brewdog Leeds not given licensing permission :mad: Bloody idiot councillors not understanding craft beer.

Quinno
08-02-2012, 09:53
Brewdog Leeds not given licensing permission :mad: Bloody idiot councillors not understanding craft beer.

No mention of it on their 'fearless' blog, I see. Obviously doesn't fit in with their PR grid!

Spinko
08-02-2012, 12:18
No mention of it on their 'fearless' blog, I see. Obviously doesn't fit in with their PR grid!

They mentioned it on the AGM blog..

Quinno
08-02-2012, 12:41
They mentioned it on the AGM blog..

Ah yes, indeed they did at the bottom. Fair enough.

aleandhearty
17-09-2012, 18:17

Well, well. It all sounds back on again. According to the Leeds CAMRA's September online newsletter:

'BrewDog brewery have been granted a licence to open a bar in Leeds near the Corn Exchange, it should be ready early 2013.'

A little late to enable you to stagger back to Dock Street, Spinko, but I'm sure you'll manage it someday.

Spinko
18-09-2012, 20:13
Well, well. It all sounds back on again. According to the Leeds CAMRA's September online newsletter:

'BrewDog brewery have been granted a licence to open a bar in Leeds near the Corn Exchange, it should be ready early 2013.'

A little late to enable you to stagger back to Dock Street, Spinko, but I'm sure you'll manage it someday.

I believe this is the same venue as last time..

I've not been to Manchester Brewdog for a few weeks now. Would rather go to Port St and sample their wares in somewhere with a more varied selection, a more comfortable feel..and for less.

I think they may be experiencing the same problem as Thornbridge Jaipur - they were innovative once, but now others are copying their innovation and improving on it.

I wonder if Magic Rock fancy opening up any bars...

aleandhearty
18-09-2012, 21:46
I think they may be experiencing the same problem as Thornbridge Jaipur - they were innovative once, but now others are copying their innovation and improving on it.

I wonder if Magic Rock fancy opening up any bars...

Certainly agree with your first point and can only dream about the second.

Wittenden
18-09-2012, 22:12
I believe this is the same venue as last time..

I think they may be experiencing the same problem as Thornbridge Jaipur - they were innovative once, but now others are copying their innovation and improving on it

I still haven't tried this on handpump-I was in a London pub in July with a half drunk pint of one of Moor's unfiltered beers when I saw it on the bar.Unfortunately my train was imminent, and the pub was further from the station than it was thirty years ago.
We are going to Derbyshire in December and I really don't want to be disappointed, though I have a feeling that Kipling is more to my taste.

Aqualung
18-09-2012, 23:09
I'm a bit puzzled by some of the comments on this thread, there is a vast difference between the old "keg" as is still used for most lagers from the global corporate abominations and the newer Keykeg which I understand is a system imported from the American "Craft" brewers (I think the description is justified over there).

Do Brewdog use the old "keg" system where there is a CO2 cylinder directly attached to a keg, or the more elaborate KeyKeg where gas pressure is applied to an enclosed globe of beer.

My local brew pub the King William IV has 11 KeyKeg Fonts and I can assure you that the beer is not gassy, but it is cold. It costs 85p more than cask, but if you are getting a 10% beer served in a pint lined goblet for £3.20 then that most certainly isn't a rip off!

london calling
19-09-2012, 21:09
hi,i am new to this forum.Brewdog have taken over Mason and Taylors Shoreditch and will open as the latest Brewdog bar in a few weeks time.and yes Brewdog beer is too gassy.

Aqualung
19-09-2012, 22:49
hi,i am new to this forum.Brewdog have taken over Mason and Taylors Shoreditch and will open as the latest Brewdog bar in a few weeks time.and yes Brewdog beer is too gassy.

Hi London Calling and welcome, you will soon realise that this forum has a number of sad old gits like myself who can hardly operate a mouse but by hook or by crook manage to post on these forums.

If Brewdog beers are gassy then they must be using the keg with the CO2 cylinder applied directly to the beer, which makes it a deal breaker for me on top of the inflated prices.

Bucking Fastard
20-09-2012, 13:17
Do Brewdog use the old "keg" system where there is a CO2 cylinder directly attached to a keg, or the more elaborate KeyKeg where gas pressure is applied to an enclosed globe of beer.

I am no expert on how to serve keg beers but on my trip to BrewDog Camden the pints I had were very heavily carbonated.I think this is what BrewDog are trying to achieve along with serving their beers at much lower temperatures than cask ale.I assumed that given the volume of the beers that they were selling over there ,that they were using top pressure CO2 on regular kegs .Backing up what london calling was saying.

Great user name by the way:),I have a few Tull albums in the attic somewhere.

Al 10000
20-09-2012, 16:02
If Brewdog beers are gassy then they must be using the keg with the CO2 cylinder applied directly to the beer, which makes it a deal breaker for me on top of the inflated prices.

There is no if about it Brewdogs beers are far too gassy,i had a half of 5AM Saint in Brewdog In Nottingham and this was far too gassy if i had had any more of this drink i would'nt be here now i would have floated off into outer space.
I have been in one Brewdog got ripped off for a overpriced gassy drink, i will never go in one again.