PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 1st January 2012)

ROBCamra
28-12-2011, 09:31
Oggwyn Trench: Abbeydale Epiphany
oldboots: York Guzzler
Old Blue: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Mrs Old Blue: Fullers Black Cab Stout
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Quinno: Thornbridge Sequoia
Al 10000: Orkney Wayfarers India Pale Ale
Bucking Fastard: Abbeydale Absolution
Alesonly: Fullers Black Cab Stout
RogerB: By The Horns Brewing Co Stiff Upper Lip
Pubsignman: Brasserie Ellezelloise Quintine Blonde
Wittenden: Hopdeamon Skrimshander
ROBCamra: Kirkstall 3 Swords
gillhalfpint: Westvleteren Bruin 8

ROBCamra
28-12-2011, 09:33
Decent start to the week so far with Dunscar Bridge Bombshell & Saltaire White Christmas making an early bid.

Phoenix Double Gold was on top form last night in the Baum as well.

Oggwyn Trench
31-12-2011, 17:59
Well my real ale drinking is over for this year , a quite night in with a couple of bottles of port for tonight :D

Ossett - Winter IPA
Dr Mortons - Snake Oil
Abbeydale - Epiphany
Hobsons - Twisted Spire
Hobsons - Town Crier
Hobsons - Old Henry

Not a bad way to end the year , two of my favorite beers(Twisted Spire/Town Crier) in my favorite local(the Station) but they are just edged out by my BOTW Abbeydale - Epiphany , very moreish:notworthy:

Happy New Year to everyone :drinkup::bemerry:

oldboots
31-12-2011, 19:25
I've been working this week so no alcohol is normally allowed, I did manage a crafty pint of Acorn Barnsley Bitter and one of York Guzzler. Both excellent but the York Guzzler was fresh on and tasted perfect so that'll be my BOTW.

This coming week will be very different, starting Monday lunchtime :nishelypished:

Old Blue
02-01-2012, 10:38
This week's competitors:

Dark Star - Old Chestnut
Dark Star - Hophead
Surrey Hills - Albury Ruby
King's - Horsham Best
Hammerpot - Shooting Star
Oakham - Bishop's Farewell
Fullers - Black Cab Stout
Oakham - Green Devil IPA
Adnams - Old Ale

Oakham Bishops Farewell went down the best.

Beer discovery of the week was that my good lady, not usually a beer drinker, really liked the Black Cab Stout.

Quinno
02-01-2012, 11:12
Thornbridge Sequoia at the Nags - lovely.

Al 10000
02-01-2012, 15:27
Mainly drinking at home last week but i did have a very nice pint while visiting relatives in Beverley.

My beer of the week is Orkney Wayfarers India Pale Ale it was 5% and very drinkable this was tried in the Green Dragon in Beverley.

Bucking Fastard
02-01-2012, 16:45
A very good bottle of Salopian Oracle was in the lead until I sneaked a visit to the Doric Arch where an Abbeydale Absolution won BOTW.
Even my lager drinking son had to admit it was an excellent pint,a rare victory for cask ale although I was buying;)

Alesonly
03-01-2012, 01:02
Not much Ale this week only few trips too wetherspoons and Fullers Pubs.
Adnams Broadside
London Black Cab
Batemans XXXB
Thornbridge Jaipur India Pale Ale
Exmoor Gold

I will go for the London Black Cab as Beer of the week.

RogerB
03-01-2012, 09:53
2 stand outs this week - Thwaites Very Good Elf, the best Xmas ale I have sampled this year (or last year if you want to be pedantic) but outshone by a new London Micro based in Wimbledon that I had not previously heard of, By The Horns Brewing Co - Stiff Upper Lip - not sure what else they've done but this was a very good introduction.

Forgot to say - it was in the Royal Standard in Blackheath.

Thuck Phat
03-01-2012, 10:12
Only one ale tried this week which is a fitting and worthy BOTW, Oakham Bishops Farewell.

Pubsignman
03-01-2012, 17:43
Only managed the one visit to the pub this week in the Dutch city of Tilburg, where I was able to try a few decent Belgian beers.

BOTW therefore goes to Brasserie Ellezelloise Quintine Blonde - a hazy golden beer with a good deal of hops and a slightly spicy finish.

Beer glass of the week goes to the horn shaped receptacle and wooden holding device that was given to me with my bottle of La Corne Blonde. Totally unexpected and equally unecessary, but good fun nonetheless. There's a picure of one here: http://www.lacorneduboisdespendus.be/autres-produits/casier-de-blondes

Wittenden
03-01-2012, 22:59
Two visits to the North Downs above Charing:
Dark Star-Winter Meltdown: ginger and chilli-good in curry though not raelly in beer in my mind
Woodeford's -Wherry. I'd always found this one dull.In fact it's a good biscuity East Anglian session beer.
Kent Brewery-Cobnut:a dark ruby bitter, roasty with rasping hops. Not sure if it really works, but exciting to find a new progressive outfit on the doorstep.
Kent Brewery-Zinziber.Had a taster of this golden ale with ginger.
Hopdeamon-Skrimshander-a lovely bisuity Kentish IPA with a deep and floral hop account:My BOTW.

ROBCamra
05-01-2012, 11:28
Several great beers in York last week and my BOTW is going to be one of them.

Abbeydale Thaw was in great nick in The Ackorne.

Leeds New Moon was is great form in Brigantes.

York Terrier & Guzzler were both excellent in The York Brewery Bar.

Kirkstall Dissolution IPA was its well up to its usual standard in the York Tap.

But BOTW is going to be Kirkstall 3 Swords, also in the York Tap.

Anything that beats the Dissolution has got to be excellent and it was. :cheers:

gillhalfpint
05-01-2012, 11:56
We haven't had any beers in UK since we got back from Belgium, so my BOTW will be an excellent Belgian brew. Now then, which one?

Westvleteren Bruin 8 8% as it ticked all the boxes and was so good.