PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 25th December 2011)

ROBCamra
21-12-2011, 11:34
Oggwyn Trench: Thieving Rogue
runningdog: Flacks Black Jack
Alesonly: Meantime London Porter
Bucking Fastard: Orkney Dragonhead
Thuck Phat: Salopian Sleighrider
Quinno: Marble Pint
ROBCamra: Blindmans Bah Humbug
aleandhearty: Windsor & Eton Conqueror Black IPA

ROBCamra
21-12-2011, 11:39
Well it was a decent start to the drinking week last night in The Baum. Very busy early on with people having food but quietened off about 9:30.

Cross Bays Nightfall was a bit bland, especially after their excellent Aurora which was on the bar a couple of weeks ago.

Wilson Potters Making Progress was very good as was Boggart I Am Beer.

A good selection already with Wilson Potter Making Progress in the early lead. :cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
24-12-2011, 13:15
Only one night out this week :( will have to make do with some decent red wine over Christmas:D

White Rose - Blushing Blonde
Empire - Back Flash
Magpie - Thieving Roge
Raw - Edge Pale Ale
Castle Rock - Mistletoe

BOTW Magpie - Thieving Roge

runningdog
25-12-2011, 22:53
As I made the decision some time ago not to include bottled beers, this is the first week for a long time that I've had much chance to comment.
One beer sticks out, Flacks 'Black Jack'. BotW, --'final answer'..........

:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Alesonly
25-12-2011, 23:41
Best Ale of the week this week goes too the London Porter Ive been drinking today its a very nice Dark Strong Ale of 5.5 ABV so my beer of the week is.

The London Porter from Meantime Brewery Greenwich.

Bucking Fastard
26-12-2011, 10:30
Only one pub visited ,but it was the ever reliable Edgar Wallace which did induce a reasonable amount of consumption.The best pint and a very good BOTW was Orkney Dragonhead ,a wonderful stout which had run out by the time the others had arrived:evilgrin:

Thuck Phat
26-12-2011, 15:19
Some interesting beers this week and all of some quality:
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Brancaster Malthouse Bitter
Woodforde Nelson's Revenge
6X
Abbeydale Advent
Salopian Sleighrider

BOTW was Salopian Sleighrider, a flavoursome 4.8% which unlike many Christmas ales demands a second and third.

Quinno
27-12-2011, 17:43
Got a few in around Lancaster town centre whilst up there on family business. It's a great place to drink in and there were some excellent brews - three standouts:

Hawkshead - Brodies Prime @ The Borough (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63393/)
Marble - Pint @ The Borough (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63393/)
Bowland - Dragon Porter @ The White Cross (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59277/)

I think Marble Pint squeaks it, a stunning beer in fantastic condition. But the other two would be BOTW most other weeks...

:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drin kup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:: drinkup:

ROBCamra
28-12-2011, 09:37
Wilson Potter Making Progress was very good, but I think my BOTW is going to be Blindmans Bah Humbug tried several time in The Baum.

An easy drinking mid brown bitter with an excellent aftertaste. I drank more of this than any other beer last week.

Therefore it's got to be BOTW. :cheers:

aleandhearty
29-12-2011, 16:29
A very dry time in the run up to Christmas, only managing a handful of beers in The Duchess of Cambridge, Stamford Brook on Christmas Eve:

Milestone - Dark Galleon.
Bartrams - Holly Daze.
Titanic - Stout.
Windsor & Eton - Conqueror Black IPA.
Brewdog - Winter Porter. (Keg)

Easy winner was the Conqueror, all the rest were very ho-hum. Biggest disappointment was the Winter Porter, very little going on for a 6.5% beer.

RogerB
03-01-2012, 09:36
Not a very extensive week for beers with Xmas ales in abundance. My local , the Ivy Leaf did put on a rather decent Purity Mad Goose that was head and shoulders above any of the others.

Pubsignman
03-01-2012, 17:29
Not a very extensive week for beers with Xmas ales in abundance.

I had similar problems this week as I'm not really a fan of these Christmas brews. BOTW came down to a straight fight between Thorbridge Brother Rabbit and Dorset Brewing Company Durdle Door, with the Thornbridge just about edging it, despite it not being up to the standards of the likes of their Wild Swan or Kipling.