PDA

View Full Version : Most Expensive pint?

hopwas
01-02-2010, 21:59
The Rake in Borough Market selling Norwegian Porter for £9 per pint! :eek::eek::eek:

I was told by in another forum..

I presume Borough Market is place in London.

Tilly-Miss
01-02-2010, 22:10
You must be joking,i drink in the west end time to time never had them prices,saying that who would pay that? crazy money

hopwas
01-02-2010, 22:22
You must be joking,i drink in the west end time to time never had them prices,saying that who would pay that? crazy money

I remember when I holidayed in Malta ten years ago, Price of pint was 75p..

However in some African countries, they are selling pint for just 20p!

Maldenman
01-02-2010, 22:33
Sadly the £4 pint has arrived in parts of London, notably in some Mayfair/Knightsbridge pubs. Generally though I'd expect to pay anything between £2.80 to £3.40 in town. Sam Smiths pubs and Spoons are cheaper of course.

HTM69
01-02-2010, 23:21
London prices can vary, depending on the particular pub amd the area in general. I work in SW1 and whereas there are pubs that charge around £3.50 a pint, there are others which are a little more reasonable: The Plumbers Arms and Victoria were both serving ales at around the £2.50 mark, on a recent visit. Maldenman is spot-on regarding the 'Spoons prices of course - though I have noticed the cost of Guinness creeping up!

Eddie86
02-02-2010, 00:02
London prices can vary, depending on the particular pub amd the area in general. I work in SW1 and whereas there are pubs that charge around £3.50 a pint, there are others which are a little more reasonable: The Plumbers Arms and Victoria were both serving ales at around the £2.50 mark, on a recent visit. Maldenman is spot-on regarding the 'Spoons prices of course - though I have noticed the cost of Guinness creeping up!

Guinness is really going up. Using the best price I can buy it in at, and going off the GP (%) calculator from last year (updated with this years VAT rate) it tells me I should be selling it at £3.85. Needless to say I'm not! Glad to say, all being well in the budget (we can dream) Real Ale should be staying at the £2.80 - £3 mark. Worthy of note, at £3 a pint 45p is VAT.

Sorry for the boring maths, but I'm sure you can understand I've been spending far too much time looking at a spreadsheet and swearing quietly to myself. I typed in a VAT of 20% (my personal prediction for it by the end of the year) and started crying...

rpadam
02-02-2010, 00:10
£4.00 for a pint of Spitfire in ex-Mr Madge's Punch Bowl last summer. £4.00 for a pint of Rudgate Blonde in the snootier of the Marylebone Beehives last autumn. £3.85 for a pint of Shepherd Neame Late Red in the unexceptional Heeltap (a Davys, near London Bridge) last week.

RogerB
02-02-2010, 09:10
£4 for a Deuchars at the Orange in Pimlico a few weeks ago (ie before VAT increase).

aleandhearty
02-02-2010, 11:32
Isn't the most expensive pint always where you're five pence short of being able to buy one? :eek:

Tilly-Miss
02-02-2010, 11:41
Can remember when we were in Turkey we were able to get a fosters for around 65p pint, last summer in Greece Corfu a little quiet bar was selling fosters 1 euro a pint,needless to say we were there around 9:30am and never left until nearly midnight, just want to be back there again for good times.

Farway
02-02-2010, 14:15
My local ran out of 6x on Sunday, well to be precise the new barrel was still settling, so I opted for Guinness, £3.15, hope the 6x settles by my visit, over 3 squid is well beyond the locall "norm" at present

Just paid 2.80 for HSB, and of course got Greene King IPA for 1.99 on Saturday

But then I am in Pompey area and as the footie club is skint I guess the supporters are busy saving up to bail it out and have less to spend on beer :rolleyes:

Oggwyn Trench
02-02-2010, 18:46
Its a bit weird around here , as a rule of thumb the worse the pub , the more expensive the beer :confused:

runningdog
02-02-2010, 20:47
Its a bit weird around here , as a rule of thumb the worse the pub , the more expensive the beer :confused:

That's not just round your way, Trench, me old lad. It's a Brit thing..........
:drinkup:

Strongers
02-02-2010, 20:55
I paid £4 for a pint of London Stout in The Beehive, Marylebone.

Agree with the Guinness prices being hiked up as it’s not unusual to be charged £3.80 in town and Fullers seems to have it set at £3.60 at the moment although the flask in Hampstead is charging £3.80.

rpadam
03-02-2010, 00:06
I paid £4 for a pint of London Stout in The Beehive, Marylebone.

I presume that this is the one in Crawford Street. If so, try the other Beehive a couple of roads away in Homer Street (a bit more like a proper pub than a French restaurant with its checked table cloths, and certainly cheaper).

Strongers
03-02-2010, 00:13
I presume that this is the one in Crawford Street. If so, try the other Beehive a couple of roads away in Homer Street (a bit more like a proper pub than a French restaurant with its checked table cloths, and certainly cheaper).

Yep, that’s the one. I struggled with one of the barmaids as my French isn’t great, but there was another barmaid that understood pointing!:whistle:

I’ll check Homer Street out next time I’m down that way.

Cheers

arwkrite
03-02-2010, 21:54
Ppphhhwww...what would I give to able to struggle with a french bar maid. You always have the luck of the devil Strongers.

Strongers
03-02-2010, 23:51
Ppphhhwww...what would I give to able to struggle with a french bar maid. You always have the luck of the devil Strongers.

Waahey... We all love a French maid!:pray:

ETA
04-02-2010, 07:00
Not sure if it counts to nominate foreign pubs - but I was in the Cardinal in Stavanger a couple of weeks ago, and they were selling 33cl of Harveystoun "Ola Dubh" (40 aa) for - NOK 247.00 - that works out as £45.47 a pint! That's ridiculous even for Scandinavia where a pint of GK IPA (yes, really) will normally cost around £8.00 a pint.

Most expensive I've had in England was Leffe at £5.50 a pint in the de Vere Hotel in Southampton. Serves me right for drinking lager, I guess, but there was no proper beer on. Not that they'd serve me a pint, because it was "too strong", so I had to buy 2 halves and pour them into a pint glass myself.

runningdog
04-02-2010, 08:44
Waahey... We all love a French maid!:pray:

It's that uniform wot duz it:whistle:
I'll just go and get me cold shower..........;)

Eddie86
04-02-2010, 08:52
Not sure if it counts to nominate foreign pubs - but I was in the Cardinal in Stavanger a couple of weeks ago, and they were selling 33cl of Harveystoun "Ola Dubh" (40 aa) for - NOK 247.00 - that works out as £45.47 a pint! That's ridiculous even for Scandinavia where a pint of GK IPA (yes, really) will normally cost around £8.00 a pint.

Most expensive I've had in England was Leffe at £5.50 a pint in the de Vere Hotel in Southampton. Serves me right for drinking lager, I guess, but there was no proper beer on. Not that they'd serve me a pint, because it was "too strong", so I had to buy 2 halves and pour them into a pint glass myself.

I only learnt this last week on the Camra forum - it turns out Leffe is classed as a premium ale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leffe

I had no idea! There was a bar next to the cinema in the centre of Nottingham that would only sell their cherry beer in halves, but wouldn't let you buy two and borrow a pint glass!

Farway
04-02-2010, 10:42
It's that uniform wot duz it:whistle:
I'll just go and get me cold shower..........;)

Conrad, can we have a Benny Hill smiley please? More in keeping whith Pervs Galore

Conrad
04-02-2010, 11:36
Conrad, can we have a Benny Hill smiley please? More in keeping whith Pervs Galore
Not until after the league cup final when I hope to make some space for the smileys ;)

Alesonly
04-02-2010, 19:12
Below is a Copy of a article from the Scottish Sun

SCOTS drinkers could soon be getting blitzed on this potent German brew - believed to be the strongest beer in the world.
Glasgow's WEST bar is the first boozer in the UK to stock Schorschbock - which has an eye-watering 40 per cent alcohol content.
But anyone hoping to get tanked up on the super-strength tipple is in for a shock - it costs TEN QUID for a 25ml Glass.

That would be over £100 Pounds for a half Pint or £210 Pounds A Pint. At that Price It must be the dearest beer Per Pint of Beer in the world as well as the strongest.

runningdog
04-02-2010, 21:29
SCOTS drinkers could soon be getting blitzed on this potent German brew - believed to be the strongest beer in the world.......Schorschbock - which has an eye-watering 40 per cent alcohol content.

I think that's an experience I can live without..........Bring on the Beast...:drinkup::drinkup:

ETA
05-02-2010, 06:25
Below is a Copy of a article from the Scottish Sun

SCOTS drinkers could soon be getting blitzed on this potent German brew - believed to be the strongest beer in the world.
Glasgow's WEST bar is the first boozer in the UK to stock Schorschbock - which has an eye-watering 40 per cent alcohol content.
But anyone hoping to get tanked up on the super-strength tipple is in for a shock - it costs TEN QUID for a 25ml Glass.

That would be over £100 Pounds for a half Pint or £210 Pounds A Pint. At that Price It must be the dearest beer Per Pint of Beer in the world as well as the strongest.

But has anyone actually tried it?

HTM69
05-02-2010, 08:44
Agree with the Guinness prices being hiked up as it’s not unusual to be charged £3.80 in town and Fullers seems to have it set at £3.60 at the moment although the flask in Hampstead is charging £3.80.

You see, this is what turns my stomach - Guinness at my Social Club is only around £1.90!

hopwas
05-02-2010, 08:50
You see, this is what turns my stomach - Guinness at my Social Club is only around £1.90!

:eek::eek::eek:

Care to share the address of your social club? :whistle:

Oggwyn Trench
05-02-2010, 13:55

Our local old folks complex has an on site bar/function room you can get in if you know a resident , Guinness £1 40 on my last visit a few months ago

Farway
05-02-2010, 15:23
Our local old folks complex has an on site bar/function room you can get in if you know a resident , Guinness £1 40 on my last visit a few months ago

Now that is what I call retirement

hopwas
05-02-2010, 15:25

£1.40?! Thats bloody bargain!

I suspect you live somewhere in Telford..

Oggwyn Trench
05-02-2010, 19:34
Now that is what I call retirement

A lot of the residents are WW2 Vetrans from Poland , they do this mad pink vodka about 130%proof , which is why most of them appear to sit round with a mad grin on their faces

Oggwyn Trench
05-02-2010, 19:47
£1.40?! Thats bloody bargain!

I suspect you live somewhere in Telford..

Dont mention the T word , i could do a 20 page rant on telford (doesnt deserve a capital t ) , i live in Trench a suburb of Oakengates which the council say is now part of telford , ask a local in Oakengates where telford is and they will point you to the south towards telford town centre (basically a retail park) and say that way where the brummies live , there is a lot of us and them round here as we have had about 70-80,000 people from the Black Country dumped on us .
Rant over

oh i was born in St Georges (another Oakengates suburb) in 1965 , telford was officially named in 1968 so i dont come from there either

Need a pint after that

arwkrite
05-02-2010, 19:57
When I was in the job in Herefordshire back in the 70s we had a Polish Hostel that sometimes I would get called out to.These were the forgotten ones who for all sorts of reasons were still fighting WW2, private feuds and any mid european they could get their hands on.I knew a few Ukranians whose war record was abit different shall we say.Their history and hatreds were far more complicated than the good versus evil of my history lessons.All you could do was try to cool things down because they would never turn up at court. Sometimes one would see you in the pub and if they were sober you could get a fascinating account of WW2 for the price of a pint or two.. If they had drunk to much they always spoke in Polish, presumably but what the hell these blokes had seen and done things which would give me nightmares. Poles were never ones to pass up a rough house so my Dad said. But then he hated everyone.

arwkrite
05-02-2010, 20:10
Oggwyn at one time they were giving houses away to try and get people to move into the area. I think the original Telford Developement Watsit became bankrupt. To me it is still called by its time honoured town names. Follow the road signs to Telford is to attempt the actions of the Ooslem Bird.

runningdog
06-02-2010, 00:34
....telford town centre (basically a retail park)

Tried to get into Telford once, can't remember why except that it seemed a good idea at the time. All Mrs 'rd' and I could find were car parks. Now I know why...
Blessings often come in disguise. Fed up, we drove away and found the 'Crown' at Munslow. Don't remember anything about the beer, 'cept said Mrs 'rd' had to drive back to the campsite, but the food...In my dreams remember every mouthfull.
Apart from missing Telford and finding the 'Crown', that day had one other delight, watching an RAF 'Typhoon' ripping chunks of a 'Fighting Falcon' in a mock dogfight. Brilliant...:drinkup:... Per ardua ad astra an all that..........

Oggwyn Trench
06-02-2010, 00:53
Tried to get into Telford once, can't remember why except that it seemed a good idea at the time. All Mrs 'rd' and I could find were car parks. Now I know why...
Blessings often come in disguise. Fed up, we drove away and found the 'Crown' at Munslow. Don't remember anything about the beer, 'cept said Mrs 'rd' had to drive back to the campsite, but the food...In my dreams remember every mouthfull.
Apart from missing Telford and finding the 'Crown', that day had one other delight, watching an RAF 'Typhoon' ripping chunks of a 'Fighting Falcon' in a mock dogfight. Brilliant...:drinkup:... Per ardua ad astra an all that..........

Bloody Hell !! Munslows miles away ! love it down there lots of scenery and good pubs , the Sun (next pub along from the Crown )is now a brewpub . The Clun Valley Beer Festival just down the road is fantastic , a free bus takes you to all the pubs in the Clun Valley , starting at The Kangeroo and ending at the Anchor , 7 pubs in all and the fantastic Engine and Tender is not far away

runningdog
06-02-2010, 09:38
Bloody Hell !! Munslows miles away! ...ending at the Anchor , 7 pubs in all and the fantastic Engine and Tender is not far away

We were camping at the 'Anchor', High Offley, so it was sort of on our way back. Have made a mental note of the 'Engine & Tender'..........:drinkup:

HTM69
06-02-2010, 11:07
:eek::eek::eek:

Care to share the address of your social club? :whistle:

Sturdee Avenue, Social & Bowls Club
Gillingham
Kent :p

hopwas
06-02-2010, 11:09
Sturdee Avenue, Social & Bowls Club
Gillingham
Kent :p

*grabs coat and set off to Train*

Oggwyn Trench
06-02-2010, 13:09
We were camping at the 'Anchor', High Offley, so it was sort of on our way back. Have made a mental note of the 'Engine & Tender'..........:drinkup:

Lot of good pubs down that way , Kangaroo and Engine & Tender not far from each other , the White Horse in Clun is a gem as well .
Just before you get to Munslow theres a turning at Beambridge , follow it down past Broncroft Castle to Boulden , its a bit wild foot high grass in the middle of the road and theres a real hidden gem of a pub the Tally Ho (not sure if its open anymore though , will try to find out) the Landlord used to breed English Mastiffs , very disconcerting when your sitting having a pint when you turn round and the pub dog is looking down at you , bloody huge things , i`ve seen smaller horses in the national

Oggwyn Trench
07-02-2010, 20:10
That's not just round your way, Trench, me old lad. It's a Brit thing..........
:drinkup:

As was proved last night , London Pride in the appalling Hare & Hounds £2.60 , Salopian Hop Twister in the comfortable , friendly Compases £1.90

ROBCamra
08-02-2010, 11:40

The Anchor eh! Now there's a good pub. Spent several happy sessions in there.

Very convenient with your narrow boat moored at the bottom of the garden. :cheers:

Soup Dragon
09-02-2010, 18:37
The Anchor eh! Now there's a good pub. Spent several happy sessions in there.

Very convenient with your narrow boat moored at the bottom of the garden. :cheers:

Pity the bogs are like Fulham's in 1920 (black and white and shabby as hell)

ROBCamra
09-02-2010, 18:46

True, but the boat had one of those as well :)

runningdog
10-02-2010, 10:09
Ahh, but how many bogs, shabby or no, have got built in Swallows and their nests..........:whistle:

oldboots
10-02-2010, 17:48
Ahh, but how many bogs, shabby or no, have got built in Swallows and their nests..........:whistle:

I'm sure you will know the Cuckoo at Landford RD, that used to have a wonderful variety of wildlife in the outside gents, scary it was what with no lights or anything :eek: used to have rabbit hutches just outside as well IIRC.

trainman
10-02-2010, 18:17
How odd that I should mention Grantham twice in a day, but apparently the Beehive pub has a 'living sign' - an actual beehive in a tree outside. Maybe not brilliant for someone like me with an element of apiphobia & spheksophobia (ok, I looked 'em up), although I'm not as bad as I used to be.

I know it's off-thread, but sort of consecutive.

runningdog
10-02-2010, 18:36
I'm sure you will know the Cuckoo at Landford RD, that used to have a wonderful variety of wildlife in the outside gents, scary it was what with no lights or anything :eek: used to have rabbit hutches just outside as well IIRC.

Nope, I don't. Anyways, what's scary about rabbit hutches...........:drinkup::cheers:

oldboots
10-02-2010, 19:03
Nope, I don't. Anyways, what's scary about rabbit hutches...........:drinkup::cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Well you mentioned Swallows....................European or African?

runningdog
10-02-2010, 19:29
[QUOTE=oldboots;6928Well you mentioned Swallows....................European or African?[/QUOTE]
Stop wriggling, you're just scared of bunnies. Hirondo rustica rustica to be precise, the Barn Swallow. Or, to be even more precise the one you see every summer in England...Don't you bandy birds with me, old son..........:whistle::drinkup::cheers:

trainman
02-08-2010, 09:17
There's some mentioned earlier which beat this but I had a text from a friend, currently in Oslo, regarding bottled Bombardier at ... £9!

arwkrite
03-08-2010, 14:26
Somebody local was complaining that on a recent visit to Hereford they had to pay £3.50 for a pint of lager ( top price £3 in Bromyard but you can get it cheaper). He must be one of those who knows all about the World but has never been out of the County. You get a lot of them here.

Quinno
15-08-2010, 15:24
The price if a pint of London Pride in the Allied Arms in Reading is now £3.45....when it comes to trends we're right by London!

Still £3 p/p in the Nags though! I think £3 is about right round these parts at the moment.

RogerB
24-04-2012, 09:11
Popped into the Bull & Last at Gospel Oak/Kentish Town/Tuffnel Park (not actually sure where the hell it is) where an admittedly very good pint of Redemption Big Chief (5.5%) set me back an walletdropping £4.50!

Rex_Rattus
24-04-2012, 17:03
I paid £4.40 for a very average pint of Spitfire in The Punch Bowl, Mayfair, the other evening. I reckon your Redemption Big Chief for £4.50 was better value!

sheffield hatter
24-04-2012, 17:13
Popped into the Bull & Last at Gospel Oak/Kentish Town/Tuffnel Park (not actually sure where the hell it is) where an admittedly very good pint of Redemption Big Chief (5.5%) set me back an walletdropping £4.50!

Dartmouth Park, I reckon, but it's not far from Highgate Cemetery and just across the road from Parliament Hill Fields, so it "serves" Highgate too.

I had a half of Hooky Bitter 3.6% there on 3rd February, for "only" £1.85 (or £3.70 a pint). Presumably the price differential is down to the budget and the strength of the beer? I was last in the Southampton Arms, just down the road from there, in February too, when all the beers were priced at £3.05.

NickDavies
24-04-2012, 17:20
A pint of St Peter's bitter in the St Pancras Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65400/) will cost you £6.

Alesonly
24-04-2012, 17:48

It was Nearly as bad in the Parcel Yard at Kings Cross Stn last night £4. 30 for a Pint of ESB

Strongers
24-04-2012, 21:03
A couple of months ago I had a sneaky last pint in the Basketmakers in Brighton and missed my last train home. Including the cab I had to get that pint cost me £63.

ETA
25-04-2012, 10:15
There's some mentioned earlier which beat this but I had a text from a friend, currently in Oslo, regarding bottled Bombardier at ... �9!

Also in Norway, one of the pubs we use when we're in Stavanger is The Cardinal: this pub's beer list http://www.cardinal.no/Olliste/Olliste.html includes

OLA DUBH 40 Ã…R

at a staggering £43 a pint.

Due to a misunderstanding, one of my colleagues (from Darlington) thought that was the cost of the round for 6 people so was happy to get out his credit card. Imagine how amusing it was when realisation dawned...

Grailhunter
21-05-2012, 12:52
Was in the Grapes in Oxford on saturday afternoon, recently taken over by Bath Ales, and noticed they had a strong IPA on keg. It was called something 69 (can't recall the full title but the 69 indicated the strength - 6.9%). I think it must be a beer they 'produce' (note I don't use the word brew for keg) themselves.
An eye-watering £5.95 a pint !
I think not.

RogerB
21-05-2012, 13:12
Was in the Library in Islington (Highbury Corner end) last week, a keg only place so thought I'd try something different. Opted for a pint of Leffe Blonde. £5.30! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

ROBCamra
10-09-2012, 19:24
Called in here Cross Keys (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54342/) on Friday.

£3.95 for a pint of Magic Rock High Wire. It's not even in the city centre. Thieving sods. :moremad:

Mobyduck
10-09-2012, 20:32
£5.50 for a pint of "craft" Thornbridge Jaipur IPA drunk here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23382/) last month nearly had me choking on it. :moremad:

Farway
15-09-2012, 18:46
I am currently on the wagon, have been since early August. I popped in on a social visit to my new local, had half a diet cola, bloody £1.65 which is same price per pint as HSB :mad:

Last soft drink I buy in a pub, once off wagon it is HSB and bu66er the beer duty, George can have it rather than Fuller's rip off colas

gillhalfpint
15-09-2012, 18:51
I am currently on the wagon, have been since early August. I popped in on a social visit to my new local, had half a diet cola, bloody £1.65 which is same price per pint as HSB :mad:

Last soft drink I buy in a pub, once off wagon it is HSB and bu66er the beer duty, George can have it rather than Fuller's rip off colas

It really makes my blood boil when they openly pour it from a 17p supermarket 2 litre saver bottle (well it was when Ray had it once) then charge the earth for it.