PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 18th December 2011)

ROBCamra
13-12-2011, 14:15
Thuck Phat: Ilkley Lotus IPA
Oggwyn Trench: Pictish Winter Solstice
Wittenden: Flowerpots Cheriton Porter
oldboots: Kirkstall Disolution IPA
Alesonly: Jennings Sneck Lifter
Bucking Fastard: Magic Rock Curious
Old Blue: DarkStar American Pale Ale
gillhalfpint: Black Isle Chilli Porter
Quinno: Ascot Ales Emperor Penguin
ROBCamra: Hornbeam Festive Ale
RogerB: Batemans Victory Ale
Pubsignman: Fullers Black Cab Stout

Thuck Phat
16-12-2011, 20:25
An eclectic mix this week and little more to be had for me sadly:
Itchen Valley St Nichs Tipple
Jaipur IPA
Magic Rock Curious
Ilkley Lotus IPA
Doom Bar
Oakham Bishops Farewell, Ho Ho Ho

All of these were very good. Magic Rock is new to me and the Curious didn't disappoint, both Oakham beers were excellent but BOTW goes to Ilkley Lotus IPA. A very recognisable IPA and flows deceptively well at 5.7%.

Oggwyn Trench
18-12-2011, 12:04
Much better week this week

Fullers - London Pride
Bathams - Bitter
Sharps - Abbey Xmas
Northumberland - Fairies Liquid
Northumberland - Santas Beard
Phoenix - Snowbound
Pictish - Winter Solstice
Pictish - Northern Brewer

The Northumberland Fairies Liquid lived up to its name and tasted like dish water:(

BOTW Pictish - Winter Solstice

Wittenden
18-12-2011, 15:20
A useful Saturday in Hampshire:
Palmers Copper Ale-a lovely floral fruity session bitter from this underrated family brewer.
Banks MILD-a long time since I'd last drunk it,I found it a touch thin after the Palmers.
Bowman Nutz-a silly name for an interesting dark beer of 5%ABV., allegedly brewed from an old Corsican recipe, using sweet chestnuts in the mash.The chestnuts were noticable, and it put me in mind of Christmas Dinner.
All three above where served on gravity dispense at the Tichborne Arms.
Flowerpots Cheriton Porter-an excellent black porter, initially roasty followed by a whoosh of blacberry amongst the coffee. My BOTW.

oldboots
18-12-2011, 21:07
Not a bad week for beer:

Copper Dragon Golden Pippin
Moorhouses Premier Bitter
Roosters YPA
Cottage Vixen
Wensleydale Black Dub
Titanic First Class
Ossett Yorkshire Blonde
Burton Bridge Hearty Ale
Ossett Nervous Turkey
Kirkstall Disolution IPA
Daleside Xmas Cracker
Adnams Old Ale
Acorn Yorkshire Pride
Oakham Inferno
Abbeydale Gothic
Oakham Mompesson Gold

best of the bunch were the Wensleydale, the Adnams and of course the Oakhams but it has to be Kirkstall Disolution IPA

Alesonly
19-12-2011, 01:09
Had some very good Ales this week but the best was.
JENNINGS SNECK LIFTER.

Bucking Fastard
19-12-2011, 08:10
Had a good volume of ale this week:nishelypished: along with some seasonal "drinks":muppet: and some gassy keg tosh:eek: ,and Fullers London Porter looked like a strong contender until I came across Magic Rock Curious in The Dove close to London Fields.A very hoppy pale ale and packed full of flavour for a 3.9% beer,another winner of BOTW by the boys from Huddersfield.

Old Blue
19-12-2011, 08:44
Was looking like a difficult decision this week, yesterday evening I was contemplating a BOTW between:
Vale – Special
Surrey Hills – Albury Ruby
Cropton – Blackout
Skinners’ – Ginger Tosser
Sheps – Original Porter
York – Humbug
Purity – Mad Goose
Brecon – Bright Beacons
Brecon – Pale Beacons
Myrica Gale (no idea who brews this)
Fullers – ESB
Het Anker Gouden Carolus
Harviestoun – Engine Oil
Wolf – Timber Wolf
Triple fff – Comfortably Numb
Beer Works – Bipolar Bear
Twickenham – Winter Warmer
Adnams – Broadside
Young’s – Black Lion Christmas Ale (obviously a rebadging)

Plenty of good beers there, but difficult to pick out anything really outstanding. None of the Christmas beers really lit my fire. The Gouden Carolus was great, but I didn't manage to work out which one it was, I only know it cost £4.40/half in the Rake and they said it was 10.5%, which I can't quite work that out as I can't find a 10.5% one on the website. Had several good beers in the Green Dragon in Croydon, which was particularly welcome as the quality had been iffy the last few times I'd been there. The Cropton Blackout in the Blackfriars was really good, which pleasantly surprised me as my heart had fallen when I realised after ordering it that I'd had it before in the Clarence in W1 and found it pretty disgusting. But no obvious winner until the eleventh hour last night when DarkStar – American Pale Ale came on in the Lamb in Surbiton to rescue me from my dilemma.

Bucking Fastard
19-12-2011, 09:30
Good news about The Green Dragon,thanks for that OB.Use to pop in a lot before beer issues forced a retreat to The George.Will give it another go when next in the metropolis.

gillhalfpint
19-12-2011, 09:30
This weeks offerings were as follows:
York Naughty Noelle
Whittlebury Santa's Tipple
Beer Geek Legend of the Golden Geek
Oakham Crackers
Abbeydale Oh Santa
Nethergate Old Growler
Saltaire Triple Chocoholic (again and again).
Maxim Santa's Soot
Naylors Snowdrop
Tempest Rye PA
Great Heck Fuggles Puddingly Weizen
Camden Town Showboat
Revolutions Fairytale
Saltaire Blonde
Leeds Pale
Wharfebank Verbeia Pale Ale
Ilkley Tap 3 Northern Clout
Magic Rock Curious NZ
Black Isle Chilli Porter
Thornbridge Yule
Partners Shoddy Porter
Summer Wine Moose
Leeds Gyle No 479
Durham Bombay 106

Phew - that looks a lot, but we were at the opening of the new ale house Post Office Vaults in Birmingham and the York Tap.
Despite my love of Saltaire Triple Chocoholic though, my BOTW goes to Black Isle Chilli Porter. It had hust the right amount of tongue tingling to make it a wonderful beer.

Quinno
20-12-2011, 00:27
Some good ones this week - Dark Star APA and Binghams Hot Dog at the Nags would usually take the crown on a normal week but this wasn't a normal week.

On the way back from a friends funeral the minibus stopped off at The Bird In Hand (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1762/) and David the landlord had put on Ascot Ales Emperor Penguin on for us. Dangerously drinkable for 7.5% and I had two pints!:nishelypished::nishelypished::nishelypished ::nishelypished::nishelypished:

Didn't last long at work the following day.

RogerB
20-12-2011, 13:05
My local 'Spoons launched its second special house ale within the last month, this time from Kent Brewery - a 5.5% heavily hopped beast of a pint called Boss's Brew. Fans of Jaipur will appreciate it although it was too sharp for me. A close thing for me between Nelsons Dogwatch Stout in Dartford's Wat Tyler and Batemans Victory Ale in the Three Daws at Gravesend. I'll go for the latter, a pretty hefty pint at 5.9% but quite drinkable and I'm not a great fan of Batemans so they deserve the nod for this one!

ROBCamra
20-12-2011, 15:24
Unusual week last week with quite a lot of beer, but not that many different ones.

Went to the Manchester Xmas Markets on Thursday and only bought beer, German Lager. :eek:

Started off in The Oast House with a pint of Cumbrian Legendary Loweswater Gold and then drank lots of lager.

Finished off in The City Arms and can't even remember what I had in there. :o

Friday had a few pints around Rochdale with only Elland Stocking Top really being worth a mention in The Regal Moon.

Saturday was our Xmas meal at The Baum where I had York Humbug and Hornbeam Festive Ale, plus a lot of red wine.

The Hornbeam is going to win it. :cheers:

Pubsignman
20-12-2011, 16:08
My BOTW (one of just two pints I managed this week) is Fullers Black Cab Stout, served up in perfect condition in the Royal Standard, Croydon.

Even the group of office workers on the table next to me couldn't ruin my enjoyment of this pint, despite them belting out not one, but two full renditions of the 12 Days of Christmas. :rolleyes: