PDA

View Full Version : The Wenlock Arms Hoxton

Alesonly
10-12-2011, 11:46
Wenlock Arms has been issued with a 21 Days demolition notice according too this article in east London lines.

http://www.eastlondonlines.co.uk/2011/12/local-pub-issued-with-notice-for-demolition/

Bucking Fastard
10-12-2011, 12:53
That all sounds very sad news.The pub get demolished possibly on December 28th,then the owners lodge an appeal against the planning decision which has denied change of use,there is then a lengthy standoff and stalemate for a few years over an empty piece of land......:mad:

ROBCamra
10-12-2011, 17:51
Shame, I used to enjoy calling in the Wenlock whenever I was working in London. :(

Maldenman
10-12-2011, 18:11
:mad:The Building Act 1984 requires the person demolishing a building to give the Local Authority 6 weeks notice. This is not a permission thing however, just a legal notice. The only chance the LA have is to suddenly spot-list the building. Sadly developers often use demolition as a fait-accompli however and even if listed will cheerfully take a £20K fine on the chin to develop a lucrative site. Basically there is very little anyone can do, a real shame. :mad:

NickDavies
10-12-2011, 22:29
Local Authorities are not averse to such actions themselves. The demolition by the council of Kensington Town Hall in the early hours of a Sunday morning before it was due to be listed on the Monday springs to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Freeman

trainman
11-12-2011, 08:50
I enjoyed a couple in there just yesterday, and a chat with beer & pub enthusiast Paul, previously bar/cellarman at Old Fountain.
Jonesy told me he mentioned imminent closure though I didn't see or hear anything about it. Sounds like the owners maybe expect a reversal of the change-of-use decision once the site is simply a patch of land, rather than a working pub.

While the Fountain remains weekday only, this will be an especially bitter blow to local ale drinkers and, of course, to Wenlock regulars.

Bucking Fastard
03-01-2012, 08:57
According to What's Brewing the application to demolish The Wenlock has been rejected by Hackney Council and the owners have placed it on the market for sale as a pub.That's a pleasant surprise ,lets hope WB have got their story straight :pray:

Rex_Rattus
04-01-2012, 18:23
According to What's Brewing the application to demolish The Wenlock has been rejected by Hackney Council and the owners have placed it on the market for sale as a pub.That's a pleasant surprise ,lets hope WB have got their story straight :pray:
Let's hope WB has got it right, but what you say goes against Maldenman's advice above, where he says that permission isn't required - unless the building has been listed at the last minute.

Bucking Fastard
05-01-2012, 08:59
Let's hope WB has got it right, but what you say goes against Maldenman's advice above, where he says that permission isn't required - unless the building has been listed at the last minute.

That's what confused me :confused:but I know very little about planning law,or demolition permission.I hope this WB report is not a case of grasping at straws.

gillhalfpint
07-01-2012, 11:05
This message contains blocked images.
Show ImagesOptions
Message Body

http://londonist.com/2012/01/wenlock-arms-saved.php
<http://londonist.com/2012/01/wenlock-arms-saved.php>

Just found elsewhere.

Rex_Rattus
07-01-2012, 11:46
So that's how they did it - they extended the Regent's Canal conservation area to encompass The Wenlock. Nice one Hackney Council! In fact I heard the same thing was done in Putney with the conservation area being given an appendix specifically to capture The Bricklayers in its safety net.

Bucking Fastard
07-01-2012, 12:16
This message contains blocked images.
Show ImagesOptions
Message Body

http://londonist.com/2012/01/wenlock-arms-saved.php
<http://londonist.com/2012/01/wenlock-arms-saved.php>

Just found elsewhere.

Thanks Gill,good job the Wenlock is close(ish) to the canal.:)

Strongers
07-01-2012, 12:37
It's nice to see a council using their heads to do something good. :notworthy:

Rex_Rattus
20-01-2012, 15:47
I have learned from a usually reliable source that the Wenlock is likely to close in April and be handed over to the developer. Of course it will still retain the statutory protection from being within the Regent's Canal conservation area. But it's not unknown for vandals to break in and start a fire in an empty building. Undoubtedly the developer would take measures to protect the fabric of the building from such a risk, as they would obviously not want to let such a thing happen just to make a shedload of money.

Quinno
26-03-2012, 17:37
I have learned from a usually reliable source that the Wenlock is likely to close in April and be handed over to the developer. Of course it will still retain the statutory protection from being within the Regent's Canal conservation area. But it's not unknown for vandals to break in and start a fire in an empty building. Undoubtedly the developer would take measures to protect the fabric of the building from such a risk, as they would obviously not want to let such a thing happen just to make a shedload of money.

I've been told that it's going to shutting at the end of this week - I tried to have a look at the Facebook group but it's so full of sniping and general guff I gave up.

Anyone know?

I am in London at a conference on Thursday so will be heading over there for a beer via the Old Fountain if anyone is around.

Quinno
26-03-2012, 18:02
I've been told that it's going to shutting at the end of this week - I tried to have a look at the Facebook group but it's so full of sniping and general guff I gave up.

Anyone know?

I am in London at a conference on Thursday so will be heading over there for a beer via the Old Fountain if anyone is around.

Ah just had this via a trusted source:

"Pub closes sat 31st March. new owners take over sun 1st April. Existing staff all go. No idea what new owners will do. it won't be the same, maybe better, maybe worse - who knows. As far as i am concerned its up to locals to decide what they want. i am just a regular visitor."

gillhalfpint
26-03-2012, 18:34
Taken from Scoopgen

From following several Facebook groups, my
understanding is that the sale to Wenlock LLP is going or has gone ahead.

Wenlock LLP is working up a scheme to convert the
top floors to flats for rental. They will be
refurbishing the pub "sensitively" (they've hired
a consultant) and then putting that up for tenancy.

A new tenant could decide to do only craft ales. Or cocktails.

RogerB
29-03-2012, 12:02
I will be joining Quinno tonight at the Wenlock for a pre-Norwich warm up if anyone else is around!

Alesonly
06-04-2012, 09:41
According to this review on another site the wenlock reopens on the 10th of April sounds good.

Er link is for another beer site sorry if that not allowed please remove. http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/13/1316/Wenlock_Arms/Hoxton

Millay
11-04-2012, 17:51
I'm in the Old Fountain so will take a stroll down and have a look shortly.

Millay
11-04-2012, 18:27
It is indeed open. A full complement of 9 handpumps and no shortage of people taking advantage of them. Long live the Wenlock.

gillhalfpint
23-07-2012, 08:48
Wenlock now has 10 handpulls, and looks ready for active service again. Regular beer postings may be going up on another site. We will be planning a trip down to London soon, apart from the GBBF trip on 7th.