PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 11th December 2011)

ROBCamra
07-12-2011, 13:28
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
rpadam: Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale
Old Blue: Inveralmond Lia Fail
oldboots: Oakham Scarlett Macaw
gillhalfpint: Stonehenge Eye Opener
Bucking Fastard: Redemption Big Chief
aleandhearty: Riverhead Easy River Pale
Quinno: Project Venus Venus Black
Pubsignman: Magic Rock/Dark Star Rock Star
ROBCamra: Green Mill Flavia
Al 10000: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Oggwyn Trench: Wye Valley Butty Bach

Thuck Phat
11-12-2011, 13:04
Very quiet week with just the choice of 2:
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Salopian Furkin Freezin

Salopian are a fine brewery and Furkin Freezin a fine beer but BOTW goes to the incomparable Oakham Bishops Farewell.

rpadam
11-12-2011, 13:36
The Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale (5% cask version) seems to be particularly good this year.

Old Blue
11-12-2011, 20:57
Oakham – Inferno
Brentwood - Ho Ho Soho
Rudgate – Auld St. Nick
Oakham – JHB
Inveralmond – Lia Fail
Black Sheep - Golden Sheep
Artbrew – Hip Hop Green Bullet
White Horse – Wayland Smithy
Oakham– Scarlet Macaw

Inveralmond steals my favour from the Oakhams this wek, with a perfectly balanced 4.7% brew, drunk in the Old Bell in Fleet St.

Alesonly
12-12-2011, 02:14
No Ale this week only Two Bottles of Newcastle Brown. Due too working last 7 days on shift.

oldboots
12-12-2011, 08:31
Oakham again for me too, this time it's Scarlett Macaw, a bit different to their usual style but still an excellent beer.

gillhalfpint
12-12-2011, 09:48
Only out once this week since we got back from our brilliant trip to Ypres.

BOTW goes to Stonehenge Eye Opener.

Next week will be great as we are off to York for 3 nights from Saturday.

Bucking Fastard
12-12-2011, 11:12
Not too many beers passed my lips ,and it appeared a very tasty Slater's Western American Pale Ale in the Sunrunner ,Hitchin would take the award until arriving at Euston station early for a train led to the inevitable trip into the Euston Tap for an excellent Redemption Big Chief ,a very worthy BOTW.

Boating back through Camden might result in a trip to BrewDog in the coming week,although passing close to The Wenlock could warrant a farewell drink.A bit of a dilemma there.

hondo
12-12-2011, 14:04
Boating back through Camden might result in a trip to BrewDog in the coming week,although passing close to The Wenlock could warrant a farewell drink.A bit of a dilemma there.

chalk & cheese pubs my vote would be a potential final visit to the wenlock

aleandhearty
12-12-2011, 16:38
This week's entire beer consumption was in the pleasurable company of Pubsignman, yesterday afternoon. Yet another Sunday crawl around Wakefield's finest. Tried this week:

Clarks - Barrel of Laughs.
Ossett - Brigantes Bitter.
Cottage - Golden Arrow.
Saltaire - Winter Ale.
Brew Co - Enigma Stout.
Itchen Valley - Fagins.
Riverhead - Easy River Pale.
Titanic - Iceberg.
North Cotswold - Winter Solstice.
Bateman's - Rosy Nosey.
Empire - Moonraker Mild.
Fernandes - Challenger.
WharfeBank - WassAle.
Fox Beer Co. IPA.
Wentworth - South Yorkshire Pale.
Acorn - Old Moor Porter.

With honorable mentions for the Moonraker and the IPA, it finally came down to a choice between the Old Moor Porter and the Easy River Pale, with the latter just shading it. (P.S. With hindsight PSM, I think you were right, the Winter Solstice was definitely off, nothing to do with Belgian yeast!)

Quinno
13-12-2011, 09:09
Project Venus, 'Venus Black' at Easington Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31438/)

Brewed by the ladies: http://siba.co.uk/2011/11/project-venus-back-in-black/

Of the Xmas beers I've tried most have been poor, a notable exception being the O'Hanlon's Goodwill which is available at Wetherspoons as part of their seasonal list.

Pubsignman
13-12-2011, 11:14
Had an excellent weekend in West Yorkshire taking in, to varying degrees, Huddersfield, Linthwaite, Dewsbury, Leeds and Wakefield (the latter under the expert direction of Aleandhearty :notworthy:)

There was so much good beer to shout about this week, so I'll list some of the more memorable ones:

Titanic Mild
Linfit Linfit Bitter
Brewdog Alice Porter
Roosters Advent
Bob's Brewing Golden Lion
Fernandes Ghost of Louis
Empire Moonraker Mild
Acorn Old Moor Porter

Plenty of worthy BOTW's in amongst that lot, but there were two more that stood out above the rest - Marble Lagonda Trial no. 4 and Magic Rock/Dark Star Rock Star with the complexity of the latter helping it to come out on top.

ROBCamra
13-12-2011, 14:12
A few quiet beers in The Baum on Tuesday where I had a new Phoenix beer called Brown Boots a strong brown ale.

The jury's out on that one for me.

Also on the bar was Green Mill Flavia, Oggy's BOTW last week. Very good it was too.

Definitely a contender for my BOTW this week.

On Friday Brass Monkeys Snow Monkey threw its hat into the ring tried twice in The Flying Horse Rochdale whilst watching a decent covers band.

A couple of Mallinsons beers Comet & Dandy Highwayman in The Baum also had a look in.

But overall I think that Green Mill Flavia is still going to be BOTW. :cheers:

Al 10000
13-12-2011, 17:21
Ive had lots of different beers over the weekend and all but one were quite nice.

Bass
St Austell - Tribute
Oakham - Bishops Farewell
Everards - Sleigh Bell
Everards - Beacon bitter
Julian Church - Vicar of Dribley
Banks's bitter
Marstons - Pedigree
Sharpes - Doom Bar
Tim Taylor - Landlord
Marstons - EPA
Muirhouses - Magnum mild

It was a toss up between the Bishops farewell and Magnum mild

So my beer of the week goes to Oakham Bishops Farewell which i tried in the very nice Chandlers Arms at Shearsby.

Thuck Phat
13-12-2011, 19:32
So my beer of the week goes to Oakham Bishops Farewell which i tried in the very nice Chandlers Arms at Shearsby.

An excellent choice Al of both beer and pub, may I compliment your good taste.

Oggwyn Trench
14-12-2011, 19:47
Very very poor week for me on the beer front :( only one decent pint , though plenty of Cobra with Saturdays curry

BOTW Wye Valley - Butty Bach

RogerB
17-12-2011, 10:13
Had treks around Pimlico, Shepherds Bush and Banbury this week. Christmas ales seem to be following me around so it's good when I find a new non-Xmas beer. My local 'Spoons has just introduced a couple of specially brewed ales the pick being Smithy's Moonshine from the Nelson Brewery but I'm going with Quinno and the Easington, Banbury's Project Venus Black Venus brewed at Oldershaw by the sort of ladies that would obviously make a dream date. It might be a girly beer but it's good!