PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 7 Feb 2010)

Conrad
31-01-2010, 12:04
New week kicks off tomorrow and new beers to be promoted. :)

Hopwas: Cotleigh's Buzzard Dark Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6254#post6254)
runningdog: Exmoor Beast (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6472#post6472)
Oggwyn Trench: Salopian Hop Twister (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6585#post6585)
trainman: Screech Owl (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6598#post6598)
Millay: Ringwood Fortyniner (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6601#post6601)
an_ecumenical_matter: Arbor Ales, Snuffy Jacks Old Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6605#post6605)
oldboots: Village Brewer's White Boar (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6613#post6613)
Pubsignman: Bank Top Dark Mild (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6662#post6662)
Dave M: Gorge Best Bitter from Cheddar Ales (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6672#post6672)
RogerB: East Coast S.B.B. (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6673#post6673)
ROBCamra: Ape Ale from Blue Monkey (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6685#post6685)
Soup Dragon: Bathams MILD (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=6760#post6760)
Conrad: White Horse, Oxfordshire Bitter (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?943-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-7-Feb-2010%29&p=7332#post7332)

hopwas
31-01-2010, 15:39
New week kicks off tomorrow and new beers to be promoted. :)

Hopefully some brewery will making new beers called "0-6" ale.. :whistle:

I would gladly to drink it :D

Millay
02-02-2010, 06:10
Hopefully some brewery will making new beers called "0-6" ale.. :whistle:

0-6 is more like a rugby score so you need look no further than Spoons Hoppy, they're doing a beer called Over The Bar from Caledonian for the upcoming Six Nations. Maybe that will do until someone comes out with a 0-6 ;)

Conrad
02-02-2010, 11:42
You know that completely washed by me until Millay explained it. It is old news now we have moved on to much improved 0-0 although I understand the experience was much the same.

Millay
02-02-2010, 22:22
After a shite day at work today I left around 6:30 and as the nearest pub hove into view a beautiful melody filled the air,
:whistle:
Nothing Could be Finer than a Ringwood Fortyniner
In the Eeeevening :whistle:

(we really need a musical icon don’t we?)

The first pint was pure nectar and was plucked from the glass quicker than the lead bee finding the first bloom of a new Spring.

The second was sublime in the extreme invoking a sense of angels dancing on the tongue and had me vowing to declare my BotW early.

The third made me wonder whether I had truly been wafted into paradise or if I would wake up and find myself at Luton Airport (anyone under 30 should Google Campari and Lorraine Chase).

A fourth pint made me think that perhaps life wasn’t so bad after all.

By the fifth pint I remembered what work I had left undone and was starting to plan the next morning’s activities. At this point I decided to head home before I ended up checking into a Travelodge and turning up for work at 6:00am with day-old stubble and smelling of Tesco no-frills deodorant and Ginsters pasties.

Having got home after a Pale Rider and a Hobgoblin I now have a different outlook on life - and am trying not to think about tomorrow morning !!

Conrad
03-02-2010, 00:10
(we really need a musical icon don’t we?)
Maybe after the league cup for the moment I am out of room :)

ROBCamra
03-02-2010, 08:57
Had a pint of Prospect Gold Rush, Slaters Queen of Hearts, Hornbeam Big Cherry, Green Mill Thirstquencher and my favourite so far this week Slaters Wee Sleekit.

It won't win though as it's Derby Beer Fest this weekend. :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

We phoned up our favourite Indian restaurant in Derby, Masala Art, which won best Indian in the Midlands last year only to be told they went out of business last weekend.

Obviously being upmarket in Derby doesn't work. Sad. :(

runningdog
03-02-2010, 09:59
From one brief visit and reading these forums, selling decent ale does. You Lucky Jim, you...:cheers:

Gann
03-02-2010, 16:09
Found a first for me last week. One from the Tring Brewery currently on the JDW guest list, Tring side pocket for a Toad. Had to try it for the name alone.
Interesting straw coloured pint. Not sure I liked it so had to go back again this week and try it again....
Still not convinced, so i'll put it up for comment.

Maldenman
03-02-2010, 20:19
Hydes Heads and Tails was very good last night in The Edward Rayne, nice to see a Manc brew down here too, I'm an expat.

So far my BOTW, but I'm out in Twickenham on Thursday so watch this space.

Millay
03-02-2010, 20:21
Found a first for me last week. One from the Tring Brewery currently on the JDW guest list, Tring side pocket for a Toad. Had to try it for the name alone.
Interesting straw coloured pint. Not sure I liked it so had to go back again this week and try it again....
Still not convinced, so i'll put it up for comment.

Living in Hertfordshire I see it now and again and like to have the occasional pint to support a local brewery. Like you Gann I'm not particularly convinced about it and will generally go for something else interesting if there is one. I have one local pub where this is their only cask beer and it's usually in decent condition, not a beer to get me coming back though.

Eddie86
04-02-2010, 08:38
My beer of the week, and likely to be the same for the next couple of weeks, is completely transparent, contains no alcohol whatsoever and is usually served over ice. Supposedly aids weight loss - I can't complain - 15lb in 5 weeks is good going for me :D

Thankfully Dorothy Goodbody's Ruby Ale will be on when my detox ends...

trainman
04-02-2010, 09:50
My beer of the week, and likely to be the same for the next couple of weeks, is completely transparent, contains no alcohol whatsoever and is usually served over ice. Supposedly aids weight loss - I can't complain - 15lb in 5 weeks is good going for me

Eddie, I'm sure you're too young to be de-toxing, although your Winter Ales day sounded worthy of a brief respite.
How much of the 15lb do you attribute to abstinence, and how much to the physical work of putting the pub back together?

hopwas
04-02-2010, 11:30
My BOTW goes to Cotleigh's Buzzard Dark Ale (4.8%) which is selling for just £1.29 at The Silk Kite. I am afraid it will be my only BOTW for this week as my next pub crawl will be on this Tuesday..

Anyway Buzzard is very pleasant and quite strong flavours which you will find in many dark ales. Strong treacle flavour with chocolately finish. Very dangerously drinkable.

Details about my pub crawl will be posted here later on.

Conrad
04-02-2010, 11:40
Is this the part 2 of the last pub crawl? Either way, look forward to seeing it.

hopwas
04-02-2010, 11:44
Is this the part 2 of the last pub crawl? Either way, look forward to seeing it.

Part 2 already posted on my last pub crawl thread. :D

What I meant is I will putting up details for my next pub crawl. (Something different from my previous pub crawls. Something I never attempted before! ;))

Watch this space

Hoppy

Conrad
04-02-2010, 11:50
Christ, my brains are addled, I must of read it already, ah well off to read it again:o

Eddie86
04-02-2010, 14:15
Eddie, I'm sure you're too young to be de-toxing, although your Winter Ales day sounded worthy of a brief respite.
How much of the 15lb do you attribute to abstinence, and how much to the physical work of putting the pub back together?

It's a mix of things, but if I book and pay by the end of Feb I can get a £700 holiday for £300, and with the savings I've got and the money I'll save by not drinking ale, soft drinks, just water, I should be able to make that amount up :D

Most of the weight loss was down to the work I was doing - longs hours without eating properly - the occasional cup a soup or a round of toast. Now I'm back in the kitchen, I'm keeping the idea of 'little and often' up, as I'm tasting every dish anyway!

I (in theory) will be taking some more pictures today now everything has worn in a little so a less rant-esque blog should be on the way :D

Dave M
04-02-2010, 22:47
Well after an evening of fondue at the Kings Arms, I have a contender for BotW. Wickwar BOB, not the greatest I've ever had but I was enjoying ordering a 'Bob' in the style of Blackadder.

Paid a flying visit to the Seven Stars on my way home and had a quick Arbor Ales Beech Blonde which was ok, but my taste buds had been frazzled by molten chocolate. Also had a look round to see if I could greet our latest forum member - sadly failed.

trainman
05-02-2010, 07:47
Darkstar APA just got the nod at Cricketers Croydon (Shirley Rd) mini-fest ystdy, a few others of interest included (wait for it ROBCamra) Pictish Brewers Gold, Tirril Lakeland, & Southport Golden Sands (gbbf best bitter '09).
Tomorrow includes Nottingham's CanalHouse & 56 award-winners, so actual botw is pending...

Pubsignman, did you make it to the Crick ystdy?

trainman
05-02-2010, 07:48
but I was enjoying ordering a 'Bob' in the style of Blackadder.

Hehehe!

aleandhearty
05-02-2010, 10:50
My beer of the week, and likely to be the same for the next couple of weeks, is completely transparent, contains no alcohol whatsoever and is usually served over ice.

Have you heard the W.C. Fields gem? 'I never drink water, fish f**k in it'.

Tomorrow includes Nottingham's CanalHouse & 56 award-winners

Be interesting to see how the SIBA awards compare to the CAMRA ones.

an_ecumenical_matter
05-02-2010, 10:55
Was that me you were referring to Dave??!!! Rolled out the door of the 7 Stars after missing 2 buses at about half 9 when the "screeching" (Irish music) began.

Well after an evening of fondue at the Kings Arms, I have a contender for BotW. Wickwar BOB, not the greatest I've ever had but I was enjoying ordering a 'Bob' in the style of Blackadder.

Paid a flying visit to the Seven Stars on my way home and had a quick Arbor Ales Beech Blonde which was ok, but my taste buds had been frazzled by molten chocolate. Also had a look round to see if I could greet our latest forum member - sadly failed.

aleandhearty
05-02-2010, 11:06
Several contenders this week, the choices inevitably boosted by a heavy session with RogerB last night! However, by a nose, it's got to be Newby Wyke's 'Kingston Topaz' a superbly hopped golden ale.

Dave M
05-02-2010, 11:14
Was that me you were referring to Dave??!!! Rolled out the door of the 7 Stars after missing 2 buses at about half 9 when the "screeching" (Irish music) began.

Yes, I missed a 376 myself and had half an hour to spare so nipped over to the Seven Stars in the hope of there being someone at the bar repeatedly shouting "drink!". ;)

That was about half 10 though, the screeching and dancing was in full flow.

an_ecumenical_matter
05-02-2010, 11:26
I get the 54 regularly to Wells road so I must see you at Temple Meads bus stop!!! And yes I had actually been shouting "DRINK" during my visit.........

Dave M
05-02-2010, 11:55
I usually get the 54 at night, but if the timing is right I prefer the 376.

Shame I wasn't there a little earlier, might've been able to spot you!

Pubsignman
05-02-2010, 12:53
Pubsignman, did you make it to the Crick ystdy?

Yes, I was there - had a very enjoyable evening.

I'd normally agree with you about the APA, but Croydon seems to have been flooded with it recently, so I didn't try it last night. My favorite was the Bazens Black Pig Mild, although I thought the Pictish Brewers Gold and Westerham Puddledock Porter were pretty good too. Apparently the best seller of the night was the Blue Monkey BG Sips.

Might head back tonight for a swift one, as I didn't get to try the Southport.

ROBCamra
05-02-2010, 13:17

I'd normally agree with you about the APA, but Croydon seems to have been flooded with it recently, so I didn't try it last night. My favorite was the Bazens Black Pig Mild, although I thought the Pictish Brewers Gold and Westerham Puddledock Porter were pretty good too. Apparently the best seller of the night was the Blue Monkey BG Sips.

Might head back tonight for a swift one, as I didn't get to try the Southport.

Bazens - Salford
Pictish - Rochdale
Southport - well guess where that's from.
Blue Monkey - Ilkeston

Doesn't the south have any good beer??? :whistle:

Light blue touchpaper.............

runningdog
05-02-2010, 16:20

I'm not biting. My BOTW of the week is, without doubt.....:drinkup:...wait for it...Exmoor Beast. With Cotleigh Buzzard and Ringwood Porter filling the minor places:drinkup::drinkup:

trainman
05-02-2010, 16:41

I had a taster of the BG Sips (haha), but thought it seemed slightly sweet? Maybe the tastebuds were still waking up. Forgot about the Westerham Puddledock Porter! Not a big mild/stout/porter drinker but try the odd half now & then, & such a name certainly deserved at least that.

I'm not biting. My BOTW of the week is, without doubt.....:drinkup:...wait for it...Exmoor Beast. With Cotleigh Buzzard and Ringwood Porter filling the minor places:drinkup::drinkup:

I noticed that Croydon's George is expecting the Beast on tap next week rd, at £1.89; yes Hoppy, it's a jdw, & I must say the choice has been rather good the last few times I've passed thru.

hopwas
05-02-2010, 16:46
Cotleigh's Buzzard was on sale on Wednesday at Silk Kite and ran out by the end of the evening. Reason? it was £1.29 per pint! Lucky I drank one pint and tasted bloody lovely!

runningdog
05-02-2010, 16:51
I noticed that Croydon's George is expecting the Beast on tap next week rd, at £1.89; yes Hoppy, it's a jdw.
Get to the Nightjar, Hops, old son, and you'll pay 10p more. If you're not quick though, it'll be gone as I'll be back there about half of seven. Damn, I'm back to the inflatable Jerri...:whistle: again...Woman gets everywhere, well bits of her do.
I know, back to the shower..........

trainman
05-02-2010, 16:54
Damn, I'm back to the inflatable Jerri...:whistle: again...Woman gets everywhere, well bits of her do.

Summat just went whistling over my head, but I really have no idea what it was.

Eddie86
05-02-2010, 22:56
Have you heard the W.C. Fields gem? 'I never drink water, fish f**k in it'.

I was told Wales produce 9 gallons of semen *ahem* at a time, so to speak, but only 1 gallon hits the target. That's why the sea is so salty...

2 weeks left *sighs*

runningdog
05-02-2010, 23:05
Summat just went whistling over my head, but I really have no idea what it was.

Don't panic Mr Railwayman, another thread, a while back. Just checking Conrad's recall mechanism...:drinkup::drinkup:

Conrad
05-02-2010, 23:18
I have to admit I am too busy here trying not to tease Ed about his spelling of whales. I think he is getting all excited about the impending six nations.

runningdog
06-02-2010, 08:47
I have to admit I am too busy here trying not to tease Ed about his spelling of whales. I think he is getting all excited about the impending six nations.

All I've got to do is decide to watch in the pub, or at home. The Nightjar's showing them all and we'll even be able to hear it, if we sit close. England v Whales and Beast on tap...That's it I've made me mind up...Bring on the Beast..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Eddie86
06-02-2010, 08:51
Bollox, that's what a weeks supply of 10 hour days split shifts do.

Last time I post at midnight, sober or otherwise!

Come on the Whales!

Oggwyn Trench
06-02-2010, 21:48
Well for me its either Salopian Hop Twister or Coastal Highway Star , not much between them , so the vote goes to Salopian Hop Twister as the barmaid in the Compasses had the best legs :notworthy:

RogerB
06-02-2010, 21:52
Had a couple of pints here and there so far this week. Thanks to Aleandhearty for showing me what goes on in the back streets of Wakefield. So far and not quite in order I have racked up the following although there are a couple I have forgotten or didn't make a note of (A&H may fill in some gaps!)...

Newby Wyke Red Squall (Tollemache Inn, Grantham)
Newby Wyke HMS Warrior (Tollemache Inn, Grantham)
Kelham Island Riders On The Storm (Black Rock, Wakefield)
Black Sheep Best (The Graziers, Wakefield)
Timothy Taylor Landlord (Elephant & Castle, Wakefield)
Wychwood January Sale (Inns Of Court, Wakefield)
Old English Cider (Elland Road Football Ground)
Becks Vier (Elland Road Football Ground)
Black Hole Cosmic (Six Chimneys, Wakefield)
Hydes Heads Or Tails (Six Chimneys, Wakefield)
Anglo Dutch Devil’s Knell (West Riding Refreshment Rooms, Dewsbury)
Glentworth Pot Of Gold (West Riding Refreshment Rooms, Dewsbury)
Wentworth W.P.A. (Woppa) (Time Piece, Dewsbury)
Black Hole Super Nova (Six Chimneys, Wakefield)
Fernandes Brocks Bitter (???) (Fernandes Brewery Tap, Wakefield)
Bob’s White Lion, Brewers Pride (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
East Coast S.B.B. (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
Ossett Silver King (Harry’s Bar, Wakefield)
Burton Bridge Old Expensive (Henry Boons, Wakefield)
Empire ??? (The Hop, Wakefield)
Kelham Island Riders On The Storm (Red Shed, Wakefield)
Tetleys Cask Ale (Horse & Trumpet, Leeds)
Brass Monkey Bitter (Whitelocks, Leeds)
Summer Wine Helios Blonde Ale (Duck & Drake, Leeds)
Saltaire Rye Smile (Mr Foleys, Leeds)
??? (Becketts Bank, Leeds)
Timothy Taylor Golden Best (Town Hall Tavern, Leeds)
Old Brewery Bitter, (The Angel, Leeds)
Leeds Pale (The Ship, Leeds)
Black Sheep Best (The Pack Horse, Leeds)
Clarks Classic Blonde (Henry Boons, Wakefield)
Fernandes Hoppers No 4 (Fernandes Brewery Tap, Wakefield)
Ilkley Black (Red Shed, Wakefield)
Newby Wyke Kingston Topaz (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
Mauldens Mid Winter Gold (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
Batemans Miss Scotland (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
Bobs White Lion (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
O’Kells Smoked Porter (Six Chimneys, Wakefield)

and finally, back in the real world...

Guinness (The Victoria, Tottenham)

Somehow I have to choose a BotW from that lot, unless I find something else tomorrow.

Oggwyn Trench
06-02-2010, 22:08
Had a couple of pints here and there so far this week. Thanks to Aleandhearty for showing me what goes on in the back streets of Wakefield. So far and not quite in order I have racked up the following although there are a couple I have forgotten or didn't make a note of (A&H may fill in some gaps!)...

Newby Wyke Red Squall (Tollemache Inn, Grantham)
Newby Wyke HMS Warrior (Tollemache Inn, Grantham)
Kelham Island Riders On The Storm (Black Rock, Wakefield)
Black Sheep Best (The Graziers, Wakefield)
Timothy Taylor Landlord (Elephant & Castle, Wakefield)
Wychwood January Sale (Inns Of Court, Wakefield)
Old English Cider (Elland Road Football Ground)
Becks Vier (Elland Road Football Ground)
Black Hole Cosmic (Six Chimneys, Wakefield)
Hydes Heads Or Tails (Six Chimneys, Wakefield)
Anglo Dutch Devil’s Knell (West Riding Refreshment Rooms, Dewsbury)
Glentworth Pot Of Gold (West Riding Refreshment Rooms, Dewsbury)
Wentworth W.P.A. (Woppa) (Time Piece, Dewsbury)
Black Hole Super Nova (Six Chimneys, Wakefield)
Fernandes Brocks Bitter (???) (Fernandes Brewery Tap, Wakefield)
Bob’s White Lion, Brewers Pride (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
East Coast S.B.B. (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
Ossett Silver King (Harry’s Bar, Wakefield)
Burton Bridge Old Expensive (Henry Boons, Wakefield)
Empire ??? (The Hop, Wakefield)
Kelham Island Riders On The Storm (Red Shed, Wakefield)
Tetleys Cask Ale (Horse & Trumpet, Leeds)
Brass Monkey Bitter (Whitelocks, Leeds)
Summer Wine Helios Blonde Ale (Duck & Drake, Leeds)
Saltaire Rye Smile (Mr Foleys, Leeds)
??? (Becketts Bank, Leeds)
Timothy Taylor Golden Best (Town Hall Tavern, Leeds)
Old Brewery Bitter, (The Angel, Leeds)
Leeds Pale (The Ship, Leeds)
Black Sheep Best (The Pack Horse, Leeds)
Clarks Classic Blonde (Henry Boons, Wakefield)
Fernandes Hoppers No 4 (Fernandes Brewery Tap, Wakefield)
Ilkley Black (Red Shed, Wakefield)
Newby Wyke Kingston Topaz (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
Mauldens Mid Winter Gold (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
Batemans Miss Scotland (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
Bobs White Lion (O’Donoghues, Wakefield)
O’Kells Smoked Porter (Six Chimneys, Wakefield)

and finally, back in the real world...

Guinness (The Victoria, Tottenham)

Somehow I have to choose a BotW from that lot, unless I find something else tomorrow.

OOOH your poor liver/you lucky barstard ....... delete as appropriate

Conrad
06-02-2010, 23:25
I think that is more than I am going to manage this year :notworthy:

trainman
07-02-2010, 06:54
Had a couple of pints here and there so far this week.

In three days??? Roger, that list is ridiculous! And still you think the botw mission may not be complete...?

For myself, I can advise that, although many of the SIBA beers (~50%, & most of those in my usual 3.8%-4.8% bracket) had run out by yesterday afternoon, a straight row of 56 handpumps along one long bar is something to behold.
A couple I vaguely remember trying are Kinver Half Centurion, Whitstable Kentish Reserve, Brentwood Lumberjack, Oakleaf Blakes Gosport, but, since the day was largely about Castle Rock, I'll give my botw to Screech Owl, and many thanks Simon, for the invite.

RogerB
07-02-2010, 07:22
In three days??? Roger, that list is ridiculous! And still you think the botw mission may not be complete...?

My local landlord is on holiday this week so no normal quiz tonight but may do a Bexleyheath crawl later on. Yesterday was spent travelling back from Yorkshire and football at White Hart Lane so didn't get much in. Mrs B owes me a birthday meal so might suggest lunch at the Bull, Horton Kirby today (which will mean a very long lunch), followed by Bexleyheath pub crawl so still plenty of scope to add to the list.

trainman
07-02-2010, 07:49
lunch at the Bull, Horton Kirby today, followed by Bexleyheath pub crawl

It's a tough job, but...

Millay
07-02-2010, 07:49
After a shite day at work today I left around 6:30 and as the nearest pub hove into view a beautiful melody filled the air,
:whistle:
Nothing Could be Finer than a Ringwood Fortyniner
In the Eeeevening :whistle:

After waxing lyrical about it earlier in the week I'm going with Ringwood Fortyniner as my BotW :cheers::drinkup:

an_ecumenical_matter
07-02-2010, 08:53
For me it has to be Arbor Ales,Snuffy Jacks Old Ale-
"Very rarely brewed these days, Snuffy Jack is a strong dark old ale. It has a slightly sweet malty taste due to the huge amount of crystal malt added to the mash. Northdown and East Kent Golding hops compliment this to produce a beer that is in our opinion… just too drinkable!"

oldboots
07-02-2010, 10:40
The weather and work seem to have conspired against me this week so I've not had many, BOTW for me is a very local brew (3 miles to the brewery): Village Brewer's White Boar.

Pubsignman
07-02-2010, 19:31
My BOTW is a last minute entry; Bank Top Dark Mild. A top pint to round off a week of good beer.

Dave M
07-02-2010, 22:55
I was rather pleased to have managed 6 different beers this week, but my efforts look rather poor in comparison to RogerB. :notworthy:

After mulling over the options though I'll go with the the Gorge Best Bitter from Cheddar Ales.

RogerB
07-02-2010, 22:58
Right! Evening over. I can add...

Adnams Broadside (Pied Bull, Farningham)
Greene King IPA (yes really) (Pied Bull, Farningham)
Lymestone Ein Stein (Furze Wren, Bexleyheath)
A mystery brewer beer labelled as Amber Ale in a Brakspear Pub! (Jolly Miller, Bexleyheath)
Shepherd Neame Late Red (Prince Albert, Bexleyheath)
Courage Best (Kings Arms, Bexleyheath)
Everards Beacon (The Rose, Bexleyheath)
Brains Rev James (Robin Hood & Little John, Bexleyheath)

A quite exceptional week of samples and to be honest there is too much to choose from from the week's selection. There could be a dozen that would make it to BotW in any week but if I have to choose one, it will be one with a story and that would be the East Coast S.B.B. (Seans Best Bitter) in O'Donoghues in Wakefield, named in memory of the delightful landlady's son who passed to the upstairs bar well before his time. When my body finally packs it in (which won't be long the rate I'm going), I would be honoured to have similar beer brewed for my memory but preferably with a pump clip bearing a Cockerell or a Dartford Warbler instead of a Liver Bird!

HTM69
08-02-2010, 09:35
Glad to hear you had an excellent session last night, Roger. Some of those pubs bring back memories!

What's the Prince Albert like, these days? Used to be half-decent but was taken over by some Turks and I think they were planning to put more of an emphasis on the restaurant upstairs. I only visited the Jolly Miller the one time and the Robin Hood and Little John has been on my 'to do' list for about 6 years now!

I ended up paying paying a visit to The Barge. 4 hand-pumps - all reversed!!

ROBCamra
08-02-2010, 10:15
Had a pint of Prospect Gold Rush, Slaters Queen of Hearts, Hornbeam Big Cherry, Green Mill Thirstquencher and my favourite so far this week Slaters Wee Sleekit.

It won't win though as it's Derby Beer Fest this weekend. :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

We phoned up our favourite Indian restaurant in Derby, Masala Art, which won best Indian in the Midlands last year only to be told they went out of business last weekend.

Well, after numerous beers at Derby Beer Fest and around Derby I have to say I didn't have a poor pint all weekend, but then again I didn't have many that made me go "WOW" either.

An honourable mention to Castle Rock Black Gold and Derby Brewery's Good As Gold but I think the winner will have to be Ape Ale from Blue Monkey. A proper IPA at 4.9% which tasted even stronger. :cheers:

hopwas
08-02-2010, 10:20
Well, after numerous beers at Derby Beer Fest and around Derby I have to say I didn't have a poor pint all weekend, but then again I didn't have many that made me go "WOW" either.

An honourable mention to Castle Rock Black Gold and Derby Brewery's Good As Gold but I think the winner will have to be Ape Ale from Blue Monkey. A proper IPA at 4.9% which tasted even stronger. :cheers:

Hi Rob.. hope you enjoyed your time in Derby. Will you do the full report on here?

Hoppy

ROBCamra
08-02-2010, 10:46
Hi Rob.. hope you enjoyed your time in Derby. Will you do the full report on here?

Hoppy

I may well do if I get the time.

Thomas Leaper = generic JDW with no architectural merit whatsoever. Decent pint of Brentwood Spooky Moon though. I would have thought that would have been a Halloween seasonal but obviously not.

Time to update my reviews for Derby pubs and get them on here.

RogerB
08-02-2010, 10:56
Glad to hear you had an excellent session last night, Roger. Some of those pubs bring back memories!

What's the Prince Albert like, these days? Used to be half-decent but was taken over by some Turks and I think they were planning to put more of an emphasis on the restaurant upstairs. I only visited the Jolly Miller the one time and the Robin Hood and Little John has been on my 'to do' list for about 6 years now!

I ended up paying paying a visit to The Barge. 4 hand-pumps - all reversed!!
Prince Albert pretty much as I remembered - I haven't been there myself for quite a few years - all dangly pots and pans and roaring fires! No Turks in sight but good pint of Late Red at a rather pricey £3.15. Jolly Miller is Ok - a bit loud and bright but a couple of decent ales and the jury is still out on the RH&LJ given its reputation - the ales are good but too common for my liking - need to get in some local stuff or support the micros a bit more. The big bonus was the Rose - 5 ales including some interesting guests - I was only expecting a Courage Best or GK IPA!

aleandhearty
08-02-2010, 12:16
Thanks to Aleandhearty for showing me what goes on in the back streets of Wakefield.
My pleasure sir. Good to meet you and Mrs B. I think it's fair to saya good time was had by all.

In three days??? Roger, that list is ridiculous!
I woke up Friday morning knowing I'd had a bloody good drink. To drink at that level for three days is going some!

selection. There could be a dozen that would make it to BotW in any week but if I have to choose one, it will be one with a story and that would be the East Coast S.B.B. (Seans Best Bitter) in O'Donoghues in Wakefield, named in memory of the delightful landlady's son who passed to the upstairs bar well before his time.
Can't argue with your choice there Roger. Kim would be well chuffed if she saw this.

RogerB
08-02-2010, 12:26
My pleasure sir. Good to meet you and Mrs B. I think it's fair to saya good time was had by all.

I woke up Friday morning knowing I'd had a bloody good drink. To drink at that level for three days is going some!

Can't argue with your choice there Roger. Kim would be well chuffed if she saw this.

When we got back from Leeds the "full" sign still wasn't quite registering so Mrs B went back to the hotel and I revisited a few of previous night's pubs, purely in the name of research of course. I eventually got to O'Donoghues at about 10.30 expecting a final pint before going back to the hotel. I left at about 12.30! Great blues rock band on - Jed Thomas Band and several untried ales that were just too inviting!

Struggled to find some of the Leeds puibs - I didn't have a map so we just wandered around and did whatever was on our list that we found or whatever else looked good that wasn't on the list. Plenty of scope for a return visit at some time. Got plenty of new reviews to write and no time to write them. Next stop Bolton away on Sunday!

aleandhearty
08-02-2010, 12:47
When we got back from Leeds the "full" sign still wasn't quite registering so Mrs B went back to the hotel and I revisited a few of previous night's pubs, purely in the name of research of course. I eventually got to O'Donoghues at about 10.30 expecting a final pint before going back to the hotel. I left at about 12.30! Great blues rock band on - Jed Thomas Band and several untried ales that were just too inviting!

Struggled to find some of the Leeds puibs - I didn't have a map so we just wandered around and did whatever was on our list that we found or whatever else looked good that wasn't on the list. Plenty of scope for a return visit at some time. Got plenty of new reviews to write and no time to write them. Next stop Bolton away on Sunday!

Yeah,the standard of bands at O'D's is pretty good. Bet you saw a difference in atmosphere from the night before.

When I looked at your beer list I thought you'd made some strange choices pub wise, but now it makes sense! Noticed you got to Whitelocks, shame you didn't get to the Vic. Still, a good excuse to come up North again! :)

hopwas
08-02-2010, 12:58
I may well do if I get the time.

Thomas Leaper = generic JDW with no architectural merit whatsoever. Decent pint of Brentwood Spooky Moon though. I would have thought that would have been a Halloween seasonal but obviously not.

Time to update my reviews for Derby pubs and get them on here.

Excellent looking foward to your reviews on Derby.

Must note down.. Visit Derby asap! I keep delaying my trip to Deby!

Soup Dragon
08-02-2010, 17:39
Again, i got a Gornal trip in yesterday and Bathams MILD won the day, followed by Bathams Bitter and Holdens Golden Glow and a new one i had not tried before, Black Hole Bitter, from the Black Hole Brewery - very good stuff. Another class day out.

aleandhearty
08-02-2010, 17:59
and a new one i had not tried before, Black Hole Bitter, from the Black Hole Brewery - very good stuff.

It's funny you should mention the Black Hole Brewery, I nipped into the Wakefield 'spoons (Six Chimneys) after Roger headed back to the Travellodge on Thursday and tried their 'Super Nova'. New brewery to me also, but I was quite impressed.

Soup Dragon
08-02-2010, 18:10
So was I, A&H

If you get to see it - try it - worth it, Squire

Wittenden
08-02-2010, 18:30
Bazens - Salford
Pictish - Rochdale
Southport - well guess where that's from.
Blue Monkey - Ilkeston

Light blue touchpaper.............

Been meaning to bite at this one, but have been rather busy. How about Harveys, Dark Star, Ramsgate (Gadds) and Westerham to name but four. Incidentally, I tried Bazen's Zebra Best Bitter at a beer fest last year, and wasn't greatly impressed, though to be fair, it was the penultimate beer of the day, and I was somewhat jaded.
Zebra Best Bitter at a Beer Fest last summer and wasn't really impressed, but to be fair it was the penultimate beer of the day and I was ...jaded.

rpadam
08-02-2010, 19:48
How about Harveys, Dark Star, Ramsgate (Gadds) and Westerham to name but four.
Wot, no Larkins!

Wittenden
09-02-2010, 10:06
Wot, no Larkins!

Just a starter-Goachers, Larkins,Hopdaemon,( though I'm not too familiar with them-Skrimshandlers good though). Rother Valley.

Conrad
14-02-2010, 17:12
I better sneak in my BOTW before I retire this thread. White Horse, Oxfordshire Bitter, it went very nicely with the Chinese take-away last Saturday night.

oldboots
07-03-2010, 18:17
Bullocks, wrong month :eek: