PDA

View Full Version : Buying beer online?

keithb
02-12-2011, 12:18
Hi guys - it's my first post on the forum, so be gentle with me!

This is part market research, part immediate interest. I've been looking at buying bottled beers online as a gift.

I was just wondering whether this was something that any of you do? Are there reasons for not taking this route, in terms of cost and quality? I've been looking at a few online beer shops and they do have varied ranges, but I've found that delivery costs are quite expensive. Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Keith

Farway
02-12-2011, 13:06
Hi Keithb, welcome to Pug

I have never bought beer online, for the reason you give, delivery cost just kills it for me

Luckily I live near an Asda, Morrison's & Lidl, plus of course the local co-op and I find the ranges offered suit me, perhaps if my tastes were more exotic there could just be reason to buy online

keithb
02-12-2011, 13:42
Hi Farway,

Thank you - I appreciate your reply.

Yes, I guess that maybe the online stores are trying to appeal to those who want beers that they can't source locally. I'm also a fan of the Co-op's selections - they seem to have 3 or 4 different offerings from our (relatively small) local brewery, which is always good news.

I don't know whether it's just because they have a small outlet here, but Tesco (they have a Tesco Express in the town), seem to offer barely any selection at all. I'm surprised - most of my friends join me in drinking local beers and I would have thought that Tesco are missing a trick.

Andy Ven
02-12-2011, 19:15
Keith,

Have you looked at Beers of Europe (http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/acatalog/) near Kings Lynn? To most post code areas they charge a flat delivery fee on £7.49. Obviously, the more you order the better value for money you get.

Other than that, individual breweries tend to offer their own brews via their websites.