PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 27th November 2011)

ROBCamra
22-11-2011, 15:00
Thuck Phat: Dark Star American Pale Ale
gillhalfpint: Loch Ness Light Ness
Wittenden: Thornbridge Wild Swan
Oggwyn Trench: Woods Shropshire Lad
Old Blue: Marble Brewery Dobber
Bucking Fastard: Magic Rock High Wire
rpadam: Roosters Wild Mule
Gann: Fyne Ales Avalanche
Pubsignman: Plain Ales Arty Farty
aleandhearty: Great Heck Famous Five
Quinno: Mikkeller Mild Interpretation
Alesonly: Broadoak Premium Perry
oldboots: Ridgeside Stargazer
RogerB: Roosters Wild Mule
trainman: Northern Two-Tone

Thuck Phat
27-11-2011, 10:40
This week's selection includes:
Nethergate Monks Habit
Courage Directors
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Doom Bar
Dark Star American Pale Ale

I was disappointed by the Monks Habit which may have contributed to making the Directors the pleasant surprise it was. Bishops fantastic as ever but BOTW goes to Dark Star American Pale Ale, ludicrously easy to drink at 4.7%.

gillhalfpint
27-11-2011, 11:20
Beers this week were from the excellent Wood Farm Tap where all the beers were in fantastic condition, Dudley beer festival where a number of beers could have competed for this week's BOTW, but I am spoilt for choice from the new breweries we had at the Salmon fest in Leicester on Saturday. All the beers we had were so enjoyable, and so well kept whether from the pumps or the cellar.

Hmmm. Andrews, Barneys, Big River, Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, Liverpool Craft, River Leven.

BOTW going to Loch Ness Light Ness. Had 2 of them, and their Red Ness was super too.

Wittenden
27-11-2011, 13:16
A good Saturday's entertainment:
Thornbridge Hall- Wild Swan
Tap East-Pale Ale
Adnams-Broadside (Ghost Ship listed as coming soon...)
Titanic-Engine Room
Dark Star-Winter Meltdown
I've never seen any beer from Thornbridge Hall in a pub, and was highly impressed with Wild Swan, a very pale but drinkable blonde/white beer. I could have stayed on it for longer, but had other destinations planned. My BOTW

Oggwyn Trench
27-11-2011, 15:01
Poor week for beer :( a walk up to the newly reopened Pheasant with its large freshly painted sign promising a Freehouse with Tradional Ales yielded a pint of Guiness , not a handpull in sight :eek: so a quick dash to the Red Lion for a couple of pints of Tetley was in order.

BOTW Wood - Shropshire Lad , drunk out of a plastic glass at the football ground , its been a bad week for beer :D

Old Blue
27-11-2011, 16:36
Another good week for me:

Oak Leaf - IPA
Cottage - Healey 3000
Young’s - Winter Warmer, first one of the year
Thornbridge - (Aussie) Browne
Brew Dog - Trashy Blonde
Brewster’s - Decadence
Bank Top - Pavilion
Thornbridge - Sequoia
Buxton - Spa
Kelham Island - Easy Rider
Thornbridge - Jaipur (out of a tap in ahotel bar, I must confess, but better than I expected)
Thornbridge - Brother Rabbit
Marble Brewery - Dobbers
Cottage – Wessex Brue
Surrey Hills – Ranmore Ale
WJ King – Horsham Best
Ringwood – Old Thumper
Badger – Fursty Ferret
Cottage – Concorde

When I asked in the Sheffield Tap what the Marble Brewery Dobbers was like, the barman seemed to go weak at the knees, was afflicted with a gooey expression, and declared "it's like heaven in a pint". He was right.

Bucking Fastard
27-11-2011, 18:30
Quiet week for me before hitting The Old Fountain on Friday night.Quite by chance bumped into Quinno there,and besides very enjoyable pints of Crouch Vale Astra,BOTW was an unfiltered Magic Rock High Wire dispensed from a keg.:confused: It looked really odd,the sort of pint that might cause you grief next morning but the taste....sublime.:drinkup:

Needless to say ,a few slipped down and I did suffer a minor malfunction in the leg department when it came time to depart:whistle:

rpadam
27-11-2011, 18:40
Not necessary my BOTW, but certainly a winner in the circumstances - gig at the Union Chapel finishing early enough to get a quick pint on the way home, but lots of Arsenal fans filling the nearby pubs - was the Roosters Wild Mule served in a plastic 'glass' at The Hen & Chickens Theatre Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25463/).

Gann
27-11-2011, 22:48
Better beer week, primarily because it intailed two trips up London and the latter one to the Craft Beer Co.
Some very good stuff including Summer Wines Seven C's and first time to try the Dark Star Expresso, which is an aquired taste, but i would certainly drink more coffee if this was available in the works vending machines.
But this weeks winner was Fyne Ales Avalanche, which was delicious..

Pubsignman
28-11-2011, 12:53
Didn't get out much this week - just a mini crawl of Rochester on Tuesday, but that was enough to uncover a couple of contenders. I really enjoyed Old Dairy Gold Top but just pipping it for BOTW is Plain Ales Arty Farty - a very flavoursome low strength ale (3.9%) which would have made for a fine session in the Good Intent.

aleandhearty
28-11-2011, 14:14
A very sociable week, this week, involving a major crawl round Wakefield with 'trainman' on Friday and a gentler version, on Sunday, with 'oldboots'. Some good beers tasted, but several shockers on the quality front. Contenders:

Ossett - Silver King.
Maypole - BXA.
Northern - Two Tone.
Bobs - White Lion.
Fernandes - Jackdaw MILD.
Potbelly - Captain Pigwash.
Great Heck - Chamberlain.
Fernandes - Brock Bitter.
Blue Monkey - BG Sips.
Goose Eye - Chinook.
Fyne - Piper's Gold.
Salamander - Wild Joker.
Moorhouse - APA Special.
Jennings - Cocker Hoop.
Timothy Taylor - Landlord.
Clarks - Westgate Gold.
Black Country - BFG.
Clarks - Amber Leaf.
Two Roses - Chinook.
Banks & Taylor - Edwin Taylor Stout.
Great Heck - Famous Five.
Fernandes - Top Notch.
Fernandes - Great Northern.
Partners - Agatha.

The 'Two Tone' nearly had it for the second week running, but the 'Famous Five' was a prickly, grapefruity, hoppy delight and just shaded it.

Quinno
28-11-2011, 15:29
Mikkeller Mild Interpretation at Craft Beer Co. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23311/) though the Honey Porter at the Jerusalem Tavern ran it close.

Quinno
28-11-2011, 15:33
Quite by chance bumped into Quinno there,and besides very enjoyable pints of Crouch Vale Astra,BOTW was an unfiltered Magic Rock High Wire dispensed from a keg.:confused: It looked really odd,the sort of pint that might cause you grief next morning but the taste....sublime.:drinkup:

Mmm, yes that was also pretty damn good. Some of the Old Ales at the Sloany Pony weren't bad either and a cracking Castle Rock at the Nags yesterday too. Been a good week but I refuse to list all the stuff I drink lest I become a Scooper by default. :p

Alesonly
28-11-2011, 16:40
Almost a Dry week Only a few Bottles of Newcastle Brown & a couple of Pints of Broadoak Premium Perry 7.5%
So my Beer of the week is The Broadoak Premium Perry which Won by a Mile.

oldboots
28-11-2011, 19:32
A very sociable week, this week, involving a major crawl round Wakefield with 'trainman' on Friday and a gentler version, on Sunday, with 'oldboots'.

My head didn't think it was that gentle this morning, still going in the Brewery Tap and the Duck & Drake after Wakefield probably didn't help :D

Anyhoo my BOTW is Ridgeside Stargazer

ROBCamra
29-11-2011, 09:29
Almost a Dry week Only a few Bottles of Newcastle Brown & a couple of Pints of Broadoak Premium Perry 7.5%
So my Beer of the week is The Broadoak Premium Perry which Won by a Mile.

Does this count? Is someone called Alesonly allowed to name a PERRY as BOTW? :D

ROBCamra
29-11-2011, 09:43
Well it wasn't the greatest weeks for beer, especially with Greenmill changing the Old Gits recipe so that it didn't taste the same or as good.

Shame really as there's two 9's of it in the cellar. :(

Brightside Darkside was good in the Flying Horse - Rochdale where they were having a "Meet The Brewer" evening with Brightside on Friday.

Allgates Apollo was a surprise as I don't normally like Allgates beer very much, but this was excellent.

Springhead A Drop O The Black Stuff was also very good.

BOTW is going to be Allgates Apollo though, tried twice over the weekend in the Regal Moon - Rochdale. :cheers:

aleandhearty
29-11-2011, 14:39
still going in the Brewery Tap and the Duck & Drake after Wakefield probably didn't help :D

Probably? :D

I don't normally like Allgates beer very much

Have to agree with you there. One of those strangely underwhelming outfits. Still, not as bad as Brentwood....

trainman
30-11-2011, 13:04
a major crawl round Wakefield with 'trainman'

The 'Two Tone' nearly had it for the second week running

Thanks again for the route list and the tour guide service; in a very disorganised trainman mission, we couldn't have done it without you sir.

I shall name Northern Two-Tone as my botw; not my usual style, but packed with flavour. And served by my landlady of the week - at a later opening pub she was preparing the place and said "we don't open for 10 minutes, but you can come in & have a pint while you wait" - quality!

aleandhearty
30-11-2011, 13:23
...served by my landlady of the week - at a later opening pub she was preparing the place and said "we don't open for 10 minutes, but you can come in & have a pint while you wait" - quality!

Lisa at the Bull & Fairhouse, take a bow.

Good to see you 'tm'. Very impressed you managed a pint of Winter Warmer on your return.

RogerB
30-11-2011, 14:01
A pretty hefty week with 38 pints across 25 pubs/venues/football grounds. Top of the bunch was the Roosters Wild Mule at the Kings Head in Mayfair although a day in Eastbourne threw up a few old Dark Star favourites and a night at the Cross keys in Gracechurch Street accounted for 9 previously untried samples!