PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool PG meet up

Andy Ven
17-11-2011, 21:41
See you all on the next crawl in Liverpool!

I'm sure Gill may have her own list to add to this, given her recent Liverpool crawls, but what would you say are your top 5 Liverpool pubs? (I'd be mightily surprised if the Philharmonic wasn't one of them and equally surprised if the Grafton was ;) )

The other question is when is the Everyman due to re-open (or has it already?)

gillhalfpint
17-11-2011, 23:45
The Philharmonic to me is a bit like the Old Trip in Nottingham. It is one to go in and have a look round. I did get a look in the gents after the chaps made sure it was ok to go in for photos though.

We have done
Augustus John .. Baltic Fleet .. Belvedere .. Cracke .. Dispensary .. Doctor Duncans .. Fly in the loaf .. Globe .. Grapes .. Lady of Mann ..
Lion Tavern .. Monroe .. Peter Kavanagh's .. Philharmonic .. Pilgrim .. Richard John Blackler .. Richmond Hotel .. Roscoe Head .. Ship & Mitre .. Swan Inn .. Thomas Rigby's .. Vernon Arms .. and White Star from those in 2012 GBG plus one or two others not in like Everyman's .. Hole in the Wall .. Crown .. Head of Steam.

Loved Roscoe Head and Cracke.

oldboots
18-11-2011, 00:21
I'm sure Gill may have her own list to add to this, given her recent Liverpool crawls, but what would you say are your top 5 Liverpool pubs? (I'd be mightily surprised if the Philharmonic wasn't one of them and equally surprised if the Grafton was ;) )

The other question is when is the Everyman due to re-open (or has it already?)

Mighty difficult as there's many more than five excellent pubs in Central Liverpool, but I like these (after three goes)

Baltic Fleet
Fly in the Loaf
Globe
Vernon Arms
Roscoe Head

(and then Ship & Mitre, Rigby's, Dispensary, Dr Duncan's, Belvedere, Lion, Poste House, Swan, White Star, Ye Cracke)

You can only mean the "Bogs of the Philly" it always feels like a priviledge rather than a pleasure to visit the pub but not top five and neither is Peter Kavanagh's which is on a lot of people's don't miss list.

The Grafton? The worst pubs in L1,2, 3 or 7 are the Shamrock/Mc Hales or The New Penny (closed I think) or anyone of a few dozen or so in and around Wood Street/Bold Street or most of them in the Cavern Quarter. Some places like the Blob Shop or Durty Nellies are just mad and worth visiting on that basis.

Andy Ven
18-11-2011, 20:56
The reason I asked the question was because I spent some of my younger days studying(?) at Liverpool Polytechnic, long before I was a real ale convert.

The places I used to frequent included the Philharmonic, Ye Cracke, the Casablanca (now Casa Bar but then a dingy club with brown painted walls - I still have my membership card), occasionally the Everyman and the Pilgrim. I tried to avoid the Students' Union bar - too many bloody students!

Further out, near to where I lived : The Dryden (now demolished), The Edinburgh in Fairfield, The Flathouse in Tuebrook (but never the Coconut Grove - as an impoverished student I never had the money for the requisite suit - shell-suit that is), The Belmont on West Derby Road and Sam Dodds in Anfield. I have no burning curiosity to return to these places but the more central ones I would like to see again to sample the ale rather than the C*rl*ng Bl*ck L*b*l.

Real Ale Ray
20-11-2011, 15:04
Andy I think you know more pubs than round Liverpool than I do from what you're telling us from your student days. I have to confess I was in the Grafton once and the Coconut Grove twice. Those where the days when women danced round their handbags in the middle of the dance floor. The Everyman is still closed and will be for some time. My no 1 pub in L,pool at the minute has to be the White Star, 2nd place goes to the Loin Tav, the Baltic Fleet as I think their ales are brill and you get a good bowl of scouse and red cabbage and a roll for £3.50. The Phil which is now a Nicholson's and they have some great beers. The Dr Duncans as the Barmaids are well fit and the Cains is not bad.

oldboots
20-11-2011, 18:02
The Dr Duncans as the Barmaids are well fit and the Cains is not bad.

as anyone who reads my review will of course know :love:.

I would suggest it would be pub No2 on our proposed crawl of Liverpool after a meet up in the Head of Steam and followed by a walk over the road to No3 the Ship & Mitre.

BTW do the gents still ming in Dr D's?

I guess we should start a new thread for the Liverpool meet up when we decide a suitable date, early spring 2012?

sheffield hatter
20-11-2011, 18:49
I guess we should start a new thread for the Liverpool meet up when we decide a suitable date, early spring 2012?

I reckon that everything from Andy's of 17/11/11 needs to be moved to a new thread!

Soup Dragon
20-11-2011, 19:47
I reckon that everything from Andy's of 17/11/11 needs to be moved to a new thread!

Or change the thread title to PG meet-ups?

Andy Ven
20-11-2011, 21:11
Either. Feel free.

Real Ale Ray
21-11-2011, 20:31
BTW do the gents still ming in Dr D's?

Depends wot day u call and how busy Lime street station is as the the main waste pipe runs from the station and directly under the gents to the mersey. So you're usually better sharing with the ladies, possibly without getting arrested! Yeah a spring crawl sounds fab. Good 1 Ray.

Bucking Fastard
22-11-2011, 13:11
I would certainly be up for an early spring 2012 tour to Liverpool.In recent times I have only been to The Ship and Mitre but I once visited The Philharmonic around 1990 .So very happy to go with the flow,there do seem to be some excellent choices in the city.A brief look at the train times indicate that arriving around midday from London is straightforward,while for me the last practical departure from Lime Street would be 19.48 ,so plenty of time to look around and imbibe.Any info on train fare deals would be very useful ,current advanced return fare £75 on Virgin but I seem to recall a London Midland option ,which would probably mean an earlier exit.

This would also be a good recce,as one of the few bits of the canal system that remains unticked by me is from Burscough to the Albert Dock which I was planning to do in mid June,as part of a weeks voyage from Leeds to Liverpool.:nishelypished:

In terms of actual dates I can normally shuffle work and boating commitments around but would need at least a month's lead time .

Quinno
22-11-2011, 15:54
If we avoid January, I am up for this...

Soup Dragon
22-11-2011, 16:22
I will be interested in attending of course, if people were not aware! Anytime is OK with me in the new year, just need to adjust shifts - so fixing a date sooner rather than later would be good

Andy Ven
24-11-2011, 21:13
I'd like to take the initiative and suggest a date !

How about Friday 2nd March 2012?

Real Ale Ray can plan a route for us. ;)

gillhalfpint
24-11-2011, 21:46
Friday 2nd March ok for us.

oldboots
25-11-2011, 08:31
I'd like to take the initiative and suggest a date !

How about Friday 2nd March 2012?

Real Ale Ray can plan a route for us. ;)

Looks OK for me too.

Can I suggest the route goes from Dr D's, along Dale St (Ship, Vernon, Rigbys, Hole in the Wall(?) ) with side trips off to the Lion and the Poste House then through the Cavern Quarter (White Star) ending up at the Globe/Crown with the option of a trip down to the Baltic from the Cavern Quarter - time allowing. Meeting in the Head of Steam rather than the Crown.

An alternative crawl is the Dispensary, Roscoe, Fly and Philly also taking in the Belvedere, Cracke, Grapes (Knight St), Pilgrim(!), and Swan. The Caledonia has supposedly picked up as well and those who fancy it could trek out to Peter Kavanaghs. Meeting in the Crown or just for the interior The Vines (The Big House).

Anyone brave could stay over and try both :D

gillhalfpint
25-11-2011, 09:11
I must admit we did most of them in the one day, but it is easy to do when there is only the two of us. A group woiuld find it hard to take them all in that way. We found it so hard to leave some of the pubs out, but we wanted to get some new GBG pubs in, so had to leave some old favourites out. Our March 11 crawl went like this.

Vernon Arms..James Monro..Lady of Mann..Ye Hole in the Wall..White Star..Richmond Pub..Globe..Richard John Buckler..Crown..Dispensary..Roscoe Head..Grapes..Swan..Pilgrim..Ye Cracke..Belvedere..Philharmonic..Everyman..Fly in the loaf..Augustus John.. then a bus back to the station.

Off to get the bus to Dudley for the Winter Ales fest now.

RogerB
25-11-2011, 09:24
The date is good for me. I would consider a stay over if the fares & hotels were reasonable enough. Spurs are at home v Man City on the Saturday but it is highly likely to be shifted for TV in which case I may be able squeeze in 3 or 4 days and really do the rounds!

Bucking Fastard
25-11-2011, 11:51
Friday 2nd March 2012 is good for me too,looking forward to it .

ROBCamra
25-11-2011, 13:04
I'm always up for a crawl around Scouseland, another of our regular haunts.

Need to confirm later on the date though.

Soup Dragon
25-11-2011, 14:18
I should be ok, but i can't check if i am working until the 2012 diary is out for leave etc. Will check and swop ASAP.

Andy Ven
25-11-2011, 22:33
Can I suggest the route goes from Dr D's, along Dale St (Ship, Vernon, Rigbys, Hole in the Wall(?) ) with side trips off to the Lion and the Poste House then through the Cavern Quarter (White Star) ending up at the Globe/Crown with the option of a trip down to the Baltic from the Cavern Quarter - time allowing. Meeting in the Head of Steam rather than the Crown.

An alternative crawl is the Dispensary, Roscoe, Fly and Philly also taking in the Belvedere, Cracke, Grapes (Knight St), Pilgrim(!), and Swan. The Caledonia has supposedly picked up as well and those who fancy it could trek out to Peter Kavanaghs. Meeting in the Crown or just for the interior The Vines (The Big House).

If I had to state a preference it would be the alternative crawl simply because it would be re-visiting some of the pubs I went to in my student days, half my life ago, and I'd be interested to see how they have changed and how I would see them now as a real ale drinker. That's my vote but at de end of der day I'll go with the flow.

Soup Dragon
25-11-2011, 22:41
If I had to state a preference it would be the alternative crawl simply because it would be re-visiting some of the pubs I went to in my student days, half my life ago, and I'd be interested to see how they have changed and how I would see them now as a real ale drinker. That's my vote but at de end of der day I'll go with the flow.

Who is thinking of stopping over and doing both?

rpadam
26-11-2011, 13:09
All sounds good - will put the date in the diary...

Oggwyn Trench
09-12-2011, 23:08
Looks like i can not make this one :(at the moment , then again i may be unemployed by March as we have been brought out by a rival company , Special Brew and White Lighting in Stanley Park anyone:D

rpadam
11-12-2011, 18:08
Advance purchase train tickets for 2 March 2012 have just gone on sale, but as it is a Friday the late afternoon/early evening prices are all rather steep until the 19:48 to Euston which you can get for £17. One might risk waiting for a possible Virgin Trains sale in January, but I doubt whether Megatrain will have anything during the busy pre-weekend period.

NB - I will probably be in Chester on the previous day in case anybody else may be in that area on the Thursday evening.

gillhalfpint
11-12-2011, 18:41
Just checked Birmingham prices on senior tickets.

£42.80 for us both off peak returns or £39.30 for us both as singles. £32.00 out and £7.30 back, but there is a 7 min change at Nuneaton and if we catch it will get to Birmingham 22.50 so we may opt for the off peak returns without any risk of getting stranded and choice of trains direct back.

trainman
12-12-2011, 13:15
Advance purchase train tickets for 2 March 2012 have just gone on sale, but as it is a Friday the late afternoon/early evening prices are all rather steep until the 19:48 to Euston which you can get for £17. One might risk waiting for a possible Virgin Trains sale in January, but I doubt whether Megatrain will have anything during the busy pre-weekend period.

£17 is good. May get one of those & take a 'mega'-chance on the outbound.
The 20:48 is £11.50, but is rather late and takes 48mins longer reaching London.

gillhalfpint
29-12-2011, 22:23
Just had a look at travelodge. There are some £12 deals so thinking about stopping the night on 2nd March and having another day there on 3rd. It is about 4 miles from centre, but will see if buses are ok.

PS. I have booked into Liverpool Stonedale Park travelodge for 2 MARCH. There are buses from London Rd to the MacDonald with the same postcode.

I have rechecked train times and they are cheaper now than when I last checked. £11.90 for the 2 of us with senior cards on the 9.36 from New St gets in at 11.10 to Lime St.

£11.90 for the 2 of us back on the 19.34 gets to New St 21.19.

Stupid National Rail site has a problem with booking it, so will go to a station for the tickets tomorrow.

RogerB
03-01-2012, 11:25
Looking at getting the 11.07am from Euston on the Thursday (£12), staying overnight at the Britannia Adelphi near Lime Street (£38) and then the 19.48pm on the Friday (£18).

Gann
03-01-2012, 16:55
I probably won't be able to join you for this one as the date coincides with one of the years big Electronics exhibitions in Germany that I will be required to attend..

But if anyone is interested Travelodge have just released their £15 winter sale and there are currently £15 rooms available at the Liverpool central Travelodge for Thursday night and £19.50 at the Liverpool Docks one.

sheffield hatter
03-01-2012, 22:14
Just booked my train tickets. Will be arriving at Lime Street 11:31.

RogerB
04-01-2012, 09:13
All booked up - Leaving Euston 11.07 on the Thursday, staying overnight at the Travelodge (Liverpool Central) - could only get a £29 room but still a bargain (thanks for the tip Gann). Return 19.48 on the Friday.

ROBCamra
04-01-2012, 11:35
Looking promising at the moment. My train arrives at 11:43. Hopefuly I'll be on it. :p

gillhalfpint
04-01-2012, 12:12
We're going to need somewhere to meet up soon as trains seem to be arriving at 11 something. There's the Head of Steam on the station, or the Ship & Mitre where there will be a better ale choice I would think. It all depends on which route we are taking round the pubs I suppose.

Any ideas?

Bucking Fastard
04-01-2012, 12:29
I will be arriving at Lime Street at 12.15 and departing on the 19.48.Very happy to go with the flow,but would prefer that the crawl route is within reasonable walking distance of Lime Street by 12.15 if ,by the sounds of it ,there is going to be an early start.

RogerB
04-01-2012, 13:00
I will need a list of pubs that we WON'T be doing on the Friday so I can plan what to do on the Thursday along with anyone else doing an overnighter.

gillhalfpint
04-01-2012, 13:13
We're doing it the other way and staying over Friday night so we can mop up remaining pubs on Saturday.

Pubsignman
04-01-2012, 13:30
I booked my tickets last night. I wanted to make a weekend of it, but the prices for Saturday were too steep, so I'll now be arriving on Thursday morning and leaving Saturday afternoon.

I'm hoping to visit a friend on the Thursday, but will probably get around a few pubs as well, so as Roger says, it would be useful if we came to some sort of consensus as to which pubs everyone wants to do on the Friday.

oldboots
04-01-2012, 18:08
I suggested two alternate crawls in post #16, personally I don't have a preference - they're all good. Maybe we should have a poll.

The easiest starting point, although not the best pub, is the Head of Steam whither we then go straight down to Dr Duncans (probably easier for late arrivals) or along Lime St/Renshaw St (a fair way) to the Dispensary.

sheffield hatter
05-01-2012, 13:16
The easiest starting point, although not the best pub, is the Head of Steam whither we then go straight down to Dr Duncans (probably easier for late arrivals) or along Lime St/Renshaw St (a fair way) to the Dispensary.

As quite a few people appear to be staying in Liverpool Thursday night, the only arrival times I have seen so far have been
Gillhalfpint 11:10
sheffield hatter 11:31
ROBCamra 11:43
Bucking Fastard 12:15
(Apologies if I've missed anyone.)
I suggest a good starting point might be Head of Steam 11:00 to 12:00, then Dr Duncan's.

ROBCamra
05-01-2012, 13:53
I suggested two alternate crawls in post #16, personally I don't have a preference - they're all good. Maybe we should have a poll.

My preferred crawl would be Dale Street as it includes Vernons, Ship & Mitre & Rigbys.

Another postive is that it DOESN'T include The Pilgrim. :evilgrin:

Soup Dragon
05-01-2012, 13:55
can someone just summarise the current position of this meet-up for me

RogerB
05-01-2012, 14:08
I have compiled my own personal list of pubs to visit across the 2 days...
Baltic Fleet, Belvedere, Brewery Tap, Caledonia, Ye Crack, Crown Hotel, Dispensary, Dr Duncans, Fly In The Loaf, Globe, Grapes, Hole In Ye Wall, Lion, Philharmonic, Pilgrim, Roscoe Head, Ship & Mitre, Swan, Vernon and White Star. On top of this there are 4 'Spoons that I will use for breakfasts, emergencies or whatever! How or if I fit them in remains to be seen but once an itinerary is agreed for the Friday, I will work them in around it.

ROBCamra
05-01-2012, 14:16
I have compiled my own personal list of pubs to visit across the 2 days...
Baltic Fleet, Belvedere, Brewery Tap, Caledonia, Ye Crack, Crown Hotel, Dispensary, Dr Duncans, Fly In The Loaf, Globe, Grapes, Hole In Ye Wall, Lion, Philharmonic, Pilgrim, Roscoe Head, Ship & Mitre, Swan, Vernon and White Star. On top of this there are 4 'Spoons that I will use for breakfasts, emergencies or whatever! How or if I fit them in remains to be seen but once an itinerary is agreed for the Friday, I will work them in around it.

If you're going out to the Brewery Tap anyway I'd add Peter Kavanaghs as it's pretty close by if you have the time.

I know you'll have the inclination. :D

There aren't many pubs like it around. :cheers:

RogerB
05-01-2012, 15:02
If you're going out to the Brewery Tap anyway I'd add Peter Kavanaghs as it's pretty close by if you have the time.

Good shout - hadn't come across that one + it's on the way to a couple of others on my list.

oldboots
05-01-2012, 15:07
can someone just summarise the current position of this meet-up for me

As far as I can see it's Friday 2nd March meeting at the Head of Steam (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55532/) (probably) between 11 and 12

Arriving Thursday:- Pubsignman and RogerB
Ariving Friday AM:- Gill, RobC, OldBoots, Sheffield Hatter, with Bucking Fastard at 12:15, Soupy and Andy Ven TBC

Choice of two routes

1. Dr Duncans (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56620/) - Ship & Mitre (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26878/) - Vernon (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/67811/) - Poste House(?) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56519/)- Lion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26715/) - Railway (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26815/) (?) - Rigbys (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26834/) - Hole in the Wall (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26958/)(?)- White Star (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26942/)- Globe (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26648/) - Crown (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26648/).
The Baltic Flee (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26507/)t could be included between the White Star and the Globe for fast walkers.

2. Crown - (Mc Hales Shamrock Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55534/):D/Vines (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26925/)) - Dispensary (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58750/) - Roscoe Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26837/) - Fly in the Loaf (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58761/) - Philly (just the bogs?) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26783/) - Belvedere (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64967/) - Caledonia (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26549/) - Ye Crake (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26957/) - Pilgrim :evilgrin: (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58772/)- Grapes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26660/) - Swan (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26898/) - Globe/Crown. Peter Kavanaghs could be slipped in after the Belvedere/Caledonia - again for fast walkers.

So far there's one vote for each of the routes.

Roger, The Baltic and Brewery Tap make a two hander down near the waterfront, The Caledonia and Kavanaghs could also be included if you start at the Caledonia then walk down Parliament St from Kavanaghs to the Brewery Tap then along Wapping to the Baltic then cut up by the bus station/Police HQ back into the centre.

RogerB
05-01-2012, 15:21
It would be Route 2 for me as they are all my list apart from Vines. Route 1 has a couple that I took off in favour of better options.

gillhalfpint
05-01-2012, 15:41
Of the lists mentioned above, the only ones new for us would be Caledonia, Brewery Tap and McHales Shamrock bar/Vines.

Ones we did on our mammouth crawl not mentioned here are Augustus John, Everyman Bistro, Lady of mann, Monro, and Richmond hotel. We got through about 20 in a day and caught the bus back to Lime St from Augustus John. Another case of so many pubs to visit for character as well as, or instead of in some cases, the beer.

We are happy to go with the flow on Friday, and if we miss any must do ones, we will be there Saturday to do them before coming home.

PS. Our order of pubs March 11 was - Vernon Arms - James Monro - Lady of Mann - Ye Hole in the Wall - White Star - Richmond Pub - Globe - Richard John Blackler JDW - Crown - Dispensary - Roscoe Head - Grapes - Swan - Pilgrim - Ye Cracke - Belvedere - Phiharmonic - Everyman - Fly in the Loaf - Augustus John.

We had 21 beers new to us and 7 that we had dtunk before.

Soup Dragon
05-01-2012, 16:01
Cheers OB - will look at diary etc and sort something out - hopefully for Fri and Sat

oldboots
05-01-2012, 16:03
Of the lists mentioned above, the only ones new for us would be Caledonia, Brewery Tap and McHales Shamrock bar/Vines.

I wasn't serious about McHales - it's only for the terminally .........., the Vines has no real ale but has one of those historically important interiors that Liverpool does so well, c/f Ma Egertons, Beehive, Central Commercial Hotel and of course the Philly.

For route 1 I could, with tongue firmly in cheek, have suggested here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26752/);) .

Looking at the 2012 GBG I dispair of Liverpool Camra sometimes, their choice of pubs is bizarre.

Soup Dragon
05-01-2012, 16:06
class review OB - loved the bullet hole

Al 10000
06-01-2012, 15:13
For route 1 I could, with tongue firmly in cheek, have suggested here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26752/);) .

I went in that pub when it was just the Penny farthing, we went in it on 2 March 1985 it was an Higsons tied house then.

I was on a pub crawl with my brother and wife to be before going to see Nottingham Forest lose to Liverpool when we happened to see the Penny Farthing,we got our drinks ok and sat down talking quietly but we were soon sussed out and had to make a run for it but not untill i had finished my drink of Higsons bitter.
Those were the good old days.

trainman
06-01-2012, 23:05
Sorry folks, I'm in!
Arr 15:15 Thurs, dep 20:00-ish Fri. Wanted to hold out for a £1/£5 megatrain tkt for outward journey, but only 12:15 outbound weekdays, & not worth the gamble when pm train available at £12. Pal Jonesey also along.
If I can avoid Roger on the Thurs, I look forward to the main event (only vaguely hung-over, pah!) on 2nd.
I do NOT look forward to coming round on 3rd!

Strongers
07-01-2012, 18:31
I'd love to come, but I'm snowed under until summer. :(

RogerB
09-01-2012, 09:33
class review OB - loved the bullet hole

He's not the only one to encounter such a pub feature! http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63803/

PaulOfHorsham
09-01-2012, 22:52
+1.

Travelling up on Friday morning; back on Sunday. I'll be staying with friends on the Wirral, and there's every chance of an appearance from one or more of these friends and, indeed, friends of friends.

And Virgin Trains 'Best Fare Finder' is a bit crap, isn't it? During the search for the best deal, I went that way and discovered it gave a more expensive fare than the standard search.

Quinno
11-01-2012, 16:52
Late to the party on this one - assuming I can book the two days required I'll be on a schedule similar to Roger's. Back to work tomorrow so will let you all know by next week...

Just taken a look at prices - with some jiggery-pokery regarding break points and Network Railcards I can do the trains plus Travel Lodge for £77.

Andy Ven
23-01-2012, 20:40
Sorry chaps. I have to duck out. I tried to book leave from work but I have been told that all non-essential leave will not be approved until April. I'm just a little bit disappointed and unimpressed.

PaulOfHorsham
23-01-2012, 21:27
non-essential leave will not be approved until April.

and essential leave....?:eek: Really, this, surely, is reasonably essential?

Andy Ven
23-01-2012, 22:31
and essential leave....?:eek: Really, this, surely, is reasonably essential?

I'm keeping karma, and carrying on

Real Ale Ray
25-01-2012, 18:57
Disappointing that one mate but still what can you do. Catch you again on the next one.

Andy Ven
25-01-2012, 21:21
Disappointing that one mate but still what can you do. Catch you again on the next one.

Thanks. It's a right bummer but the less I say about it the better.

Dave M
27-01-2012, 16:17
Right I've finally got my act together and booked myself up for this one.

I'll be arriving on the Thursday afternoon and leaving from Lime Street at 20:04.

Looking forward to it as Liverpool is yet another city I've never been to.

Andy, sorry to see you can't make this one. I'm just going to get my name down for the Best of Black Country though.

Quinno
06-02-2012, 09:57
Alas I can no longer go as it is my Nan's 90th on the second and there's gonna be a party that requires my presence. One of those calls. I guess I can let you lot sift through the Scouse chaff on my behalf :notworthy:

Bucking Fastard
20-02-2012, 18:11
As far as I can see it's Friday 2nd March meeting at the Head of Steam (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55532/) (probably) between 11 and 12

Arriving Thursday:- Pubsignman and RogerB
Ariving Friday AM:- Gill, RobC, OldBoots, Sheffield Hatter, with Bucking Fastard at 12:15, Soupy and Andy Ven TBC

Choice of two routes

1. Dr Duncans (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56620/) - Ship & Mitre (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26878/) - Vernon (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/67811/) - Poste House(?) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56519/)- Lion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26715/) - Railway (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26815/) (?) - Rigbys (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26834/) - Hole in the Wall (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26958/)(?)- White Star (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26942/)- Globe (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26648/) - Crown (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26648/).
The Baltic Flee (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26507/)t could be included between the White Star and the Globe for fast walkers.

2. Crown - (Mc Hales Shamrock Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55534/):D/Vines (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26925/)) - Dispensary (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58750/) - Roscoe Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26837/) - Fly in the Loaf (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58761/) - Philly (just the bogs?) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26783/) - Belvedere (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64967/) - Caledonia (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26549/) - Ye Crake (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26957/) - Pilgrim :evilgrin: (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58772/)- Grapes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26660/) - Swan (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26898/) - Globe/Crown. Peter Kavanaghs could be slipped in after the Belvedere/Caledonia - again for fast walkers.

So far there's one vote for each of the routes.

Roger, The Baltic and Brewery Tap make a two hander down near the waterfront, The Caledonia and Kavanaghs could also be included if you start at the Caledonia then walk down Parliament St from Kavanaghs to the Brewery Tap then along Wapping to the Baltic then cut up by the bus station/Police HQ back into the centre.

Thought I would bump this thread as it's only 10 days away.

It seems the list of attendees is as follows:

Real Ale Ray and Fiona
oldboots
RogerB
Bucking Fastard
gillhalfpint and Ray
ROBCamra
SoupDragon
rpadam
sheffield hatter
trainman + Jonesey
Pubsignman
Paul of Horsham + Wirral based friend(s)
Dave M

Deepest apologies if I have missed anyone out,or included someone whose plans have changed.

Given that there is quite a large party,it may well be sensible to firm up the crawl route to avoid loosing people and also allowing those that are staying in Liverpool for a few days to plan their other pub visits.

To that end and referring to the two routes oldboots describes above,I would plump for Route 2 which I think makes the poll,including Roger B's vote ;

One vote for Route 1
Three votes for Route 2

Any other voters ?

gillhalfpint
20-02-2012, 18:31
We have done most of those listed on both routes, so will go with the flow. We like more of the route 2 pubs best, but as we have Saturday in Liverpool too, we are happy to let those on a first visit chose their preferences for Friday.

ROBCamra
20-02-2012, 18:49
Been in all the pubs except one on both the routes.

I still think the Pilgrim's a dump though, but perhaps it deserves another try as it's in the GBG 2012.

Although what criteria Merseyside CAMRA use is anyone's guess as they've had one real s**thole in the GBG most years recently (not always the same one though)

We're back in Liverpool for 2 nights in Early April anyway, so it really doesn't matter that much to me.

I may accidently fail to leave Ye Cracke or the Fly when you go to The Grim. :evilgrin:

Andy Ven
20-02-2012, 20:56
I thought I'd add an obvious omission:

Real Ale Ray and Real Ale Fiona

PaulOfHorsham
20-02-2012, 22:20
I have done many (though not all) of these, so I'll abstain and go with the majority.

Wirral friend(s) may not appear, depending on work situation - must chase up, if only as a reminder about that accommodation offer!

Wirral friend does, however, have a Liverpool pubs update (following a question or two from me):

The Head of Steam is still not very good. You've got the Crown the other side of Lime Street. It's got beer, but I suspect it's chain owned. But not a bad place. You've also got Ma Edgertons near the Steam, not so much a beer place but a local feel to it.

We have a new place half way up Bold Street down a side road to the left. Old pub turned into new place - maybe called Bier I think. Great selection last time I was there. And the Bridewell is open again. Not brilliant beer, but interesting because you can sit in the cells! Even the Phil is doing better beer again now.

Old pub turned into new place was the Old Ropewalk and a request to mark opened has been submitted - several blog reviews are online (here's one (http://www.sevenstreets.com/bars-and-nightlife/bier-review/)). Some of the pubs mentioned may interest anyone who's making more than a day of it :eek: .

Is there a meeting-place & time? I'll be arriving at 11:15. I think Head of Steam has been mentioned (but see note above - it wasn't great last year when I was in there - a poor selection of poor quality I seem to remember).

Next week then :glass:

sheffield hatter
20-02-2012, 23:20
Strangely, the links to the Crown (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55530/) in Old Boots' lists all end up at the Globe (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26648/). It's almost like he doesn't want us to go to the Crown.;) (Actually, I can remember going to the Crown a few years back, and as I recall the only reason why you might want to go there is because it's easy to get to/from the station. I've not been to the Globe but it looks much more promising as a place to meet up.)

And I'm pretty sure he can't be serious about McHale's Irish American Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55534/).:D

Rather than voting on one of two possible routes, why not agree to meet somewhere congenial (such as the Globe) and discuss/decide the route when we get there? As I pointed out previously (5/01/12), the trains upon which we're arriving (apart from those who are staying overnight) get into Lime Street between 11:10 and 12:15, so I think it'll be important that early arrivals feel comfortable enough to wait patiently for latecomers.

ROBCamra
21-02-2012, 07:54
It's almost like he doesn't want us to go to the Crown.;) (Actually, I can remember going to the Crown a few years back, and as I recall the only reason why you might want to go there is because it's easy to get to/from the station.

The Crown Hotel isn't a place to wait for everyone. It's only just acceptable for one in my opinion. They had a solitary handpump with Cains Bitter on it during my last visit.

Even The Richard John Blackler (JDW) and The Fall Well (Lloyds) are better than that

The Globe is a cracking little pub, but it is very small.

Dr Duncans is fairly close to the station and usually has the full Cains range plus a decent tiled interior. That would be my suggestion for somewhere to spend an hour whilst everyone arrives.

sheffield hatter
21-02-2012, 08:02
The Globe is a cracking little pub, but it is very small.

Dr Duncans is fairly close to the station and usually has the full Cains range plus a decent tiled interior. That would be my suggestion for somewhere to spend an hour whilst everyone arrives.

Dr Duncans (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56620/) to start and the Globe (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26648/) to finish sounds like a plan.

gillhalfpint
21-02-2012, 09:02
Dr Duncan's opens 11.30 according to GBG so should be ok for earlier arrivals.

Bucking Fastard
21-02-2012, 09:43
Rather than voting on one of two possible routes, why not agree to meet somewhere congenial (such as the Globe) and discuss/decide the route when we get there?

I suggested trying to flesh out the route before hand because both Roger B and Pubsignman said it would be helpful to have a rough idea so that they could plan their pub visits on the Thursday.Dave M,trainman and Jonesey are also arriving on Thursday and more than likely will also be visiting some pubs that day as well.
The other advantage of having an outline plan in advance is that people can go "off piste" as they wish yet still catch up with the crawl at a later stage,this seemed to work well in Nottingham.

However if all this sounds too organised and people would prefer to sort it out on the day,so be it.

RogerB
21-02-2012, 10:40
I've been doing a bit of research and as things stand, this is a sample of my rough intentions...

Thursday will be selected from Thomas Rigbys, Baltic Fleet, Brewery Tap, Pater Kavanaghs, Caledonia, Belvedere, Ye Crack, The Pilgrim, The Grapes, Fly In The Loaf, Philharmoonic, Roscoe Head, Dispensary and the Swan. I may need to whittle a couple off the list as it's a bit of a trawl even by my standards!

Friday I'm looking at Lime Kiln (brekky!), Richard John Blackler (Whilst waiting fo everything else to open!), Dr Duncans, Ship & Mitre, Poste House, Vernon Arms, Lion, Hole In The Wall, Thoms Rigby's, Grapes, White Star, Globe and Crow. Again I may delete a couple or do a bit of juggling but that is a rough guide.

oldboots
21-02-2012, 20:29
Roger seems to have settled (basically) on the route 1 I suggested. The best start would be Dr Duncans in that case, provided everyone can find it, HOS is within Lime St Station but the beer range can vary between 2 and 6. After Dr Duncans we could head up Dale St with side trips to various interesting pubs then through the Cavern quarter for an end at the Globe as it's not too far from Lime St. Alternatively we could go back up to Lime St and a long dry walk to the Swan or the Dispensary, even going via the Cavern Quarter to Hope St is a bit thin for decent pubs.

Like most people I don't mind which circuit, we can decide on Friday, Liverpool city centre isn't that big but it's probably not practical to try and visit pubs in both the Dale St and Hope St areas in the time available.

For clarification:
The Crown - I hesitate as in the past it's had very few or no ales on even if they're cheap and the ceiling in the back room is nice, also a good place for "care in the community".
Ma Egerton's is very convenient for Lime St but sells no ale although the interior is great.
The Grapes in the Cavern Quarter will probably disappoint, but the one in Knight St, was on the up last time I was in the 'Pool (early last summer).
I like the Globe 'cos for a change I'm usually the youngest person in the pub and it's close-ish to the Station.

ROBCamra is spot on about Merseyside CAMRA, they always seem to put in some "WTF is that doing there" pub, it'll be McHales or the Blob Shop (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55536/) next year:D

Real Ale Ray
21-02-2012, 22:17
Have to agree, meeting up at Dr D's is a good idea. I popped in the Head of Steam last week and there where only two ales on. The easiest way to find Dr D's is to come out of Lime St Station, St Georges Hall exit, which when you exit will be that big classical sandstone building in front of you. Walk across the traffic lights keeping on the left side of St Georges Hall and after about 2 mins walk you will see the pub. Cheers Ray

rpadam
21-02-2012, 23:43
Have to agree, meeting up at Dr D's is a good idea. I popped in the Head of Steam last week and there where only two ales on. The easiest way to find Dr D's is to come out of Lime St Station, St Georges Hall exit, which when you exit will be that big classical sandstone building in front of you. Walk across the traffic lights keeping on the left side of St Georges Hall and after about 2 mins walk you will see the pub. Cheers RayDr D's is good for me as a starting point (given my recent experiences in the Head of Steam).

Bucking Fastard
22-02-2012, 09:55
Very happy to follow Roger's route down Dale Street and around the Cavern quarter :drinkup: ,so looking forward to meeting everyone on Friday week in Dr Duncan's shortly after 12.15pm, Virgin Trains willing:pray:

Millay
24-02-2012, 10:58
I've been doing a bit of research and as things stand, this is a sample of my rough intentions...

Thursday will be selected from Thomas Rigbys, Baltic Fleet, Brewery Tap, Pater Kavanaghs, Caledonia, Belvedere, Ye Crack, The Pilgrim, The Grapes, Fly In The Loaf, Philharmoonic, Roscoe Head, Dispensary and the Swan. I may need to whittle a couple off the list as it's a bit of a trawl even by my standards!

Friday I'm looking at Lime Kiln (brekky!), Richard John Blackler (Whilst waiting fo everything else to open!), Dr Duncans, Ship & Mitre, Poste House, Vernon Arms, Lion, Hole In The Wall, Thoms Rigby's, Grapes, White Star, Globe and Crow. Again I may delete a couple or do a bit of juggling but that is a rough guide.

That's one hell of a list Roger and enough to whet anyone's appetite. I really don't think I can miss out on this so I've arranged some time off, burned some hotel loyalty points and booked my train tickets. All being well I should be available around 4pm on the Thursday for the 'warm up' session.

I'll PM you my mobile number.

Looking forward to meeting faces old and new for this Scouse Extravaganza.

RogerB
24-02-2012, 12:07
That's one hell of a list Roger and enough to whet anyone's appetite. I really don't think I can miss out on this so I've arranged some time off, burned some hotel loyalty points and booked my train tickets. All being well I should be available around 4pm on the Thursday for the 'warm up' session.

I'll PM you my mobile number.

Looking forward to meeting faces old and new for this Scouse Extravaganza.

It's a bit daunting - I will need to knock a few off I think so will revisit it over the weekend. The scary thing is I have a long session in Tonbridge on the Saturday so I reckon that I will clock up at least 30 new pubs in 3 days!

rpadam
24-02-2012, 19:56
The scary thing is I have a long session in Tonbridge on the SaturdayBlimey! You'll be visiting some curious specimens then...

RogerB
24-02-2012, 20:40
Blimey! You'll be visiting some curious specimens then...

Yes - I'm aware of that. At the time I booked the Liverpool trip Spurs were home to Moan Utd on the Saturday hence my Thu-Fri outing. The game has now been put back to Sunday so I could have stayed in Scouseland for a further day! Since I am incapable of doing a Saturday without footie, it's Tonbridge Angels v Dartford - new ground, new town, new pubs. I'll take everything as I find it. I'm not expecting miracles but I've probably done worse!

Soup Dragon
29-02-2012, 10:54
Hi all

I am sorry to say i will be missing on Friday. I have had a cold, which has now turned into a chest problem and a full day will be a little too much i feel. I shall see you later in the year at the next gathering.

Real Ale Ray
29-02-2012, 13:27
Hi all

I am sorry to say i will be missing on Friday. I have had a cold, which has now turned into a chest problem and a full day will be a little too much i feel. I shall see you later in the year at the next gathering.

That's a real shame Soup - had a nice collection of milds lined up for you (and a few pork pies)!!

See you on the next outing!

Millay
01-03-2012, 09:30

If you're going to whittle this down I'd say you could lose Thomas Rigbys, Belvedere, The Pilgrim and Caledonia. Maybe the Brewery Tap as well as we'll be having plenty of Cains in Dr Duncans on Friday.

If you've not done them before then I'd say the must visits are the Baltic Fleet, Swan, Dispensary, Fly and the Philly. I think Ye Crack and Roscoe head are in the vicinity of the latter of those. Must try and find my old Liverpool Pubs Passport before I leave.

Looking forward to a few beers - then maybe a few more....

Just told a mate that I'm going to Liverpool and he sent me this link saying it might help with the translation :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vbgyO7YbOk

aleandhearty
01-03-2012, 10:23
Hi all

Like Soupy, I'm going to have to pass on this one, because of family commitments. Have some for me and I'll look forward to a few tales in the de-brief! :)

Enjoy.

RogerB
01-03-2012, 11:01
If you've not done them before then I'd say the must visits are the Baltic Fleet, Swan, Dispensary, Fly and the Philly. I think Ye Crack and Roscoe head are in the vicinity of the latter of those. Must try and find my old Liverpool Pubs Passport before I leave. Cheers - I'll ensure they get top priority. I'm on the train now - eta 13.15. Can't check in 'til 3 so will do the most local ones to my accommodation first. Might even kick off with a 'Spoons curry!

Millay
01-03-2012, 11:51
Cheers - I'll ensure they get top priority. I'm on the train now - eta 13.15. Can't check in 'til 3 so will do the most local ones to my accommodation first. Might even kick off with a 'Spoons curry!

which are your local ones Roger. I could be around soon after 3.00. I'm staying in Chapel st near the Dale sf pubs.

RogerB
01-03-2012, 12:37
I'm staying on Old Haymarket so most of them are on tomorrow's schedule! Will probably start with Welkin for a curry, then the Grapes and Thomas Rigby's, Will then check in and look to head for the Baltic Fleet, Brewery Tap and Peter Kavanaghs. That's all the walking done then! Then there are 4 or 5 to pick from on the way back into town.

Millay
01-03-2012, 13:14
OK Roger.I'll give you a call later and catch up after checkin. Just one suggestion I'd swap the Grapes for the nearby White Star, go through to the back room and see where the Beatles did their drinking

RogerB
01-03-2012, 13:42
The White Star is on tomorrow's schedule. It is one of the few Liverpool pubs I have actually been in before! Accidentally walked past Thomas Rigbys so kicking things off here!

Dave M
01-03-2012, 14:37
Well that is embarrassing, I think I may not only be on the same train as Millay but we may be in the same carriage!

Millay
01-03-2012, 16:19
Well that is embarrassing, I think I may not only be on the same train as Millay but we may be in the same carriage!

And indeed we were. Located Roger in the Spoons with a curry ! Checked into our various hotels and now in the Baltic Fleet which is undergoing a bit of a refurb.

oldboots
01-03-2012, 16:35
now in the Baltic Fleet which is undergoing a bit of a refurb.

Nah it always looks like that, bet the beer's good though

ROBCamra
01-03-2012, 16:47
Baltic Fleet which is undergoing a bit of a refurb.

The refurb started about 3 years ago, it'll need doing again by the time they finish. :p

gillhalfpint
01-03-2012, 21:22
Hoping the Thursday people haven't cleared all the pubs the Friday people want to visit. Will go with the flow though tomorrow.

We didn't know most were stopping over Thursday night and have booked a £12 travelodge for Friday night. Thinking of going to Wigan beer fest Saturday now as our train doesn't leave Liverpool till after 6pm.

Gill

Millay
01-03-2012, 22:35
I left the main group in the fly thinking, sensibly, that i had enough given what tomorrow might hold. Just turned £40 into £70 on the blackjack tables at the circus casino so a good decision

Millay
02-03-2012, 05:42
The tale of yesterday from what I can remember.

Roger had a few under his belt by the time Dave and I met him in the Baltic Fleet. Had a couple of pints here meeting up with Trainman +2 under the watchful eye of it's enthusiastic guvnor who told us all about the latest refurbishment.

very early in the evening to go off-piste but that's what we did next with a visit to Bridewell. An interesting place inside an old prison. Had a pint and a chat in cell 3.

Next was the Swan on wood street, 1 of my favourite pubs if only for the fact that they have Wobbly Bob as their house ale. The Swan has an impressive old wurlitzer and whilst Paul was disappointed at the lack of Spice Girls tracks it did give roger a chance to practice his air guitar.

On to the dispensary next where we met up with pubsignman 4 a pint in this recent pub of the year.

Up the road to the Roscoe Head where Dave was delighted to find a beer from the Bristol Beer Factory. A good pint that I enjoyed despite Trainman who kept trying to nick it.

Next to the Fly in the Loaf where they had 1 of Baltic Fleet's beers on.

I imagine that theh philarmonic was next plus probably more but the others will have to fill you in about that as I headed for the casino 4 a fruitful session of blackjack followed by a fruitless search for food on the way back to my hotel.

That was the warm up bring on the main event

Millay
02-03-2012, 10:57
For those of you arriving today we arranged a little welcome for you, a full marching brass band around the dock area. Unfortunately the video and photos wont upload on this phone but can be viewed later.

Millay
02-03-2012, 11:15
Old boots and i are in the ship & mitre if anyone is looking for an early beer.

RogerB
02-03-2012, 12:37
Soupy - we're in the Ship & Mitre having a Dirty Rat mild in your honour!

Soup Dragon
02-03-2012, 12:41
Soupy - we're in the Ship & Mitre having a Dirty Rat mild in your honour!

which made you think of me - the MILD, or the 'dirty rat'?

annoying thing is, i feel a lot better today. Mrs Soup has offered to take me to a Bathams house as compensation.

Strongers
02-03-2012, 19:40
I'd like to know how Clive was up and posting at 5.42 this morning!??

gillhalfpint
02-03-2012, 21:15
We are settled in our travelodge after a great day, Sorry we are a bit slow, but we really enjoyed the company, pubs and beer.

Enjoy the rest of your night folks.

Gill

rpadam
02-03-2012, 22:09
Good to see everybody who was able to make it to Liverpool today - most of the suspects can be seen here (or not, as the case may be, as the photo isn't loading for some reason)...

Millay
03-03-2012, 05:21
I'd like to know how Clive was up and posting at 5.42 this morning!??

the consequence of an unquiet mind Strongers, and a similarly unquiet digestive system !!

The Internet connection is a little unquiet itself this morning so a full review of yesterday will have to wait

Millay
03-03-2012, 07:15
Internet connection looks better now so here goes. E&OE re both people and pubs, please say so if I've made the cardinal sin of forgetting anyone.

First pint of the day was with old boots (Alan) in the Ship and Mitre waiting for Dr D's to open.

On to Doctor Duncans where we found Gill & Ray, Ian, Richard, Dave, Paul and Will (to give them their proper names). Subsequent arrivees were Ray & Fiona, Roger, Lee + 1 and Nev. I think that was it. Everyone decided the beer was rather shite so we quickly moved on to the Ship and Mitre.

Pints of Dirty Rat mild for many here. Just as we were moving on the train crew arrived (Jim, Jonesy and Paul) and this set the scene for the rest of the day as they were generally one pub behind the main group.

Vernon Arms next with their famous sloping floor and bar.

Next we all tried somewhat unsuccessfully to cram ourselves into the tiny Poste House.

Next to the very decorative Lion which is on the CAMRA National Inventory list. Ray decided he could wait no longer for his pork pie fix and placed his order with the busy bar staff

Next up was Thomas Rigbys where I believe Paul picked up a +2. This was the venue for team photos which were taken in the court yard.

Round the corner next to Ye Hole in the Wall, Liverpool's oldest pub.

Next I think was a trek to the iconic White Star in the Cavern Quarter.

Another trek to the Swan and the group is starting to split up.

The main group headed for the Fly in the Loaf whilst Roger and I went off piste with a quick detour to the Grapes - he does like collecting new pubs Roger.

We then went to the Fly just as most were decamping to Roscoe's Head so Roger and I had a quick pint before I guided him rather unsteadily to the station where his carriage back to the smoke awaited.

The lure of the casino drew me in once again although I was slightly less successful than the previous night.

I think that's about it, I will leave others to fill in any gaps or correct any errors.

Another successful PG meet up, thanks to everyone who turned up and our thoughts are with those who were unable to join us on this memorable trip.

Cheers
Clive

Millay
03-03-2012, 08:24
It's a bit wet and windy in liverpool this morning, and the weather's not too good either. The Mersey looks wild and unforgiving and Birkenhead is shrouded in mist, which is probably a good thing. There's a large and angry looking war ship in port so no doubt they heard we were coming.

rpadam
03-03-2012, 09:35
Another try at uploading a group photo (possibly with a prize to anybody who can work out exactly what Dave was thinking at the moment the shutter button was pressed...).

oldboots
03-03-2012, 10:28
Clive forgot to mention Liverpool knew we were coming and laid on the Band of the Royal Marines when he arrived :D.

Luckily I caught my train this time ............the only one problem was no toilets available on board:eek:. Believe me when I say it is a very long way from Liverpool to Leeds, other than that and the Blonde Bird catastrophe, a fine day, thanks to all for making the day so good.

ROBCamra
03-03-2012, 13:08
DaveM, any chance you could publish those stats you showed some of us in Rigby's on the forum please?

Real Ale Ray
03-03-2012, 18:10
Great to see everyone yesterday - really enjoyed it and nice to see some new faces too. I think we all had a really good day....I was suffering when I first got to Dr D's after our Chester Crawl the day before, but soon got into the swing of things. There were a couple of pubs there yesterday that were new to me, so thanks to Old Boots for his tour, especially the Poste House with the interesting upstairs bar, which we all found quite amusing!!

Well done to Gill for her sermon in the Fly in the Loaf...I think she may have been trying to put manners on us (unsuccessfully)! After the Dispensary, we ventured up to the Phil, where I had a couple of Thornbridge, which really finished me off. Glad you enjoyed the pork pies in the Lion Tavern, as when I was in on Thursday evening, they had ran out and I put a request in to replenish the stocks for our visit on Friday.

Will put the photos on site tomorrow...cheers Ray

gillhalfpint
03-03-2012, 18:12
To round off our great Liverpool trip, we managed about a dozen decent ales at the Wigan fest today. In Head of Steam Liverpool now waiting for our train and had a beer from Brew Star brewery, Morpeth. Excellent end to a brill weekend.

Pubsignman
04-03-2012, 01:16
I finally got back home around 7pm this evening after an excellent couple of days away. It was good to catch up with everyone - I'm sorry I didn't get around to chatting with all of you on the Friday, but I somehow found myself playing catch up with the main group for most of the day - my mate Adam and I got left behind in the Vernon Arms and never properly got back in sync from that point on.

The last I saw of most people was in the White Star - after which we ended up in a place called Bier, which was better than I expected, before managing to catch up with some of the group in the Dispensary where I got hold of some of that lovely Hawkshead NZPA. Most people went off for food or to catch trains home at this point, so we decided to take in one more pub - The Swan - which we ended up staying in for a couple of hours, taking advantage of the excellent juke box.
We called it a night around 10pm, but I found myself calling in the Lady of Mann and Poste House which I'd missed earlier in the day, before getting to the hotel.

On Saturday I wandered down to the docks to have a look at HMS Liverpool and then stumbled upon Millay's marching band who were parading down Chapel/Tithebarn Street - a fitting send off. Mopped up a few pubs I hadn't yet made it to including Bridewell, Grapes (Roscoe St), Pilgrim (worst beer of the weekend), Caledonia and Crown. Shared the train home with a large group of jubilant Arsenal fans including one Dermot O'Leary.

25 new pubs clocked up - now to get on with the reviewing.

ROBCamra
04-03-2012, 09:06
Pilgrim (worst beer of the weekend)

I did warn you! :evilgrin:

Gillhalfpint - after a bit of digging I've discovered that Bakehouse brewery (Cupcake, tried in Rigbys) are really Warwickshire under a fake name see below.

http://www.beermad.org.uk/brewery/4834

RogerB
04-03-2012, 09:28
Wow. What a few days! I think Mr Millay has summed up much of what I remember. I did manage to cram in the Belvedere and Ye Cracke at the end of Day 1 although I only have Pubsignman's word for it. How we got through Day 2 is beyond me but we got there. Since I had done Rigby's the previous day I sneaked into the Lady of Mann for a crafty pint. I think the final count for me was 25 pints in 22 different pubs! Thanks to Clive for steering me to Lime Street - I would probably have ended up on a bench in Stanley Park otherwise. Not sure I'll make any sense of my notes so will have to plan a return. Wonderful city.

Bucking Fastard
04-03-2012, 09:44
Great to see so many PuG regulars and some new faces in Liverpool ,it really was an excellent crawl.I was also very impressed that Roger B and the Traincrew who,despite having been on what most people would describe as a two day bender,still felt fit enough to visit The Doric Arch once the Virgin service had arrived in Euston.:notworthy:

Look forward to meeting up again on Andy's Black Country Odyssey if not beforehand.

RogerB
04-03-2012, 11:03
I was also very impressed that Roger B and the Traincrew who,despite having been on what most people would describe as a two day bender,still felt fit enough to visit The Doric Arch once the Virgin service had arrived in Euston.:notworthy:

Not me! I did the Euston Tap!

aleandhearty
04-03-2012, 11:57
By an almost cruel twist of fate, I'm going to be accompanying my daughter to Liverpool, on Tuesday, for a university interview. If I had to visit just one pub, with beer the priority, which one would you recommend, bearing in mind we will be arriving by train and carrying a fair bit of stuff?

Ta muchly.

RogerB
04-03-2012, 12:07
By an almost cruel twist of fate, I'm going to be accompanying my daughter to Liverpool, on Tuesday, for a university interview. If I had to visit just one pub, with beer the priority, which one would you recommend, bearing in mind we will be arriving by train and carrying a fair bit of stuff?

Ta muchly.

I would say the Ship & Mitre - quite close to the station and there was certainly plenty of choice with (I think) 14 hand pumps although 4 pumps were off for "refurbishment" when we were there.

rpadam
04-03-2012, 12:17
I would say the Ship & Mitre - quite close to the station and there was certainly plenty of choice with (I think) 14 hand pumps although 4 pumps were off for "refurbishment" when we were there.
I'll use that as an excuse to post a picture of some of us in said place on Friday...

oldboots
04-03-2012, 12:17

Ta muchly.

My money would be on the Fly in the Loaf (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58761/) - just about near enough to Lime St but probably in the wrong direction for the Uni. It would depend which bit of the Uni you're going to of course. The Augustus John (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64966/)is in the middle of the main campus but it's not my idea of a good pub, the Cambridge (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/67165/) is close but again not much cop. The Globe (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26648/) or the Ship & Mitre (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/26878/) are the closest good pubs to Lime St, you will probably want to avoid Dr Duncans, I wish we had:D.

trainman
04-03-2012, 13:17
which one would you recommend, bearing in mind we will be arriving by train and carrying a fair bit of stuff?

If you haven't previously been, I'd say Philharmonic, admittedly 0.6m from Lime St, as opposed to 0.3m to Ship&Mitre.
The beautiful wood, glass, & mosaic work throughout were really something to behold, and the beers, on Thurs, were Brentwood Blonde, Pontypridd Thai-Bo, Doombar, Thwaites Wainwright, Cairngorn Black Gold, Thornbridge Frank as Apollo and, iirc, two more pumps awaiting change.
I vaguely recall Roger saying 'what else could they do to earn a 10?', point well-made, but this Meldrew humbug will award a 9.

Or another attractive pub, the Dispensary, 0.4m, but I doubt they'll have any of the extraordinary Hawkshead NZPA left! Others on Thurs were George Wright Marks Mild, Cains Bitter & the despised Blonde Bird, Chocolate Marble, Riverhead Brewsters Blonde, Hawkshead Lakeleand Gold (changed later to NZPA), Oakham Inferno.

Real Ale Ray
04-03-2012, 17:25

Have to agree with Trainman, go to the Phil first. Then, you have Fly in the Loaf, Roscoe Head and The Dispensary all on the same route back to the station. If you like a good pint of mild, The Dispensary have George Wright Marks Mild, which is on all the time, which is fab.

Just to clarify, that's the Roscoe Head - not to be confused with the Roscoe Arms across from the Dispensary! To get to the Roscoe Head, come out of the Fly in the Loaf, take a right, cross over the first set of lights going down Hardman St, and it's the first side street on the right after the lights.

Real Ale Ray
04-03-2012, 18:21
Some photos from Mrs Real Ale of last Friday...:):)

I did have captions on these, but they've disappeared for some unknown reason....

No. 1 'Pubs Galore Marketing Strategy'
No. 2 'Enjoying the beers in Rigbys'
No. 3 'The whole crew halfway through the day'
No. 4 'Group photo outside Rigbys'
No. 5 'Does anyone know this person giving a sermon in Fly in the Loaf?'
No. 6 'Sampling a few in Fly in the Loaf'

trainman
05-03-2012, 13:16
Not sure I'll make any sense of my notes so will have to plan a return. Wonderful city.

If/when you do, try to plan it in advance and, if midweek, keep megatrain in mind - travel on most distant dates (out 17Apr, back 18Apr) currently available £3 out, £1 back, and that's on Virgin trains. These types of deal seem restricted to Mon-Thurs, but may help in one direction, if not both.

Soup Dragon
06-03-2012, 10:54
Can i have a list of the pubs you did - i will have to head up alone (or with quinno and a&h) and do them!

RogerB
06-03-2012, 11:24
Can i have a list of the pubs you did - i will have to head up alone (or with quinno and a&h) and do them!
I (think I) did the Thomas Rigby, The Grapes (Mathew Street), the Welkin ('Spoons), Baltic Fleet, Bridewell, Swan, Dispensary, Roscoe Head, Fly In The Loaf, Philharmonic, Belvedere, Ye Crack, Fall Well ('Spoons), Dr Duncans, Ship & Mitre, Vernon Arms, Poste House, Lion, Lady Of Mann, Hole In Ye Wall, the White Star and the Grapes (Roscoe Street). The 2 Spoons were more for food purposes so they can be dropped. The Lady of Mann was just convenience as I had already been to Thomas Rigby's the day before and the LOM shares the same courtyard - it's OK but certainly not worth dropping any the big names for. There were a couple I did twice for whatever reason was felt best at the time!

Maldenman
06-03-2012, 14:18
Some photos from Mrs Real Ale of last Friday...:):)

I did have captions on these, but they've disappeared for some unknown reason....

No. 1 'Pubs Galore Marketing Strategy'
No. 2 'Enjoying the beers in Rigbys'
No. 3 'The whole crew halfway through the day'
No. 4 'Group photo outside Rigbys'
No. 5 'Does anyone know this person giving a sermon in Fly in the Loaf?'
No. 6 'Sampling a few in Fly in the Loaf'

Love that last picture, the lamps look like thought bubbles above everyone's heads!

RogerB
06-03-2012, 15:29
Love that last picture, the lamps look like thought bubbles above everyone's heads!

There's a caption competition in there somewhere!

ROBCamra
06-03-2012, 15:35
There's a caption competition in there somewhere!

My bubble says something like "Not again! How come I'm on nearly every f***ing picture?" ;)

rpadam
06-03-2012, 23:15
My bubble says something like "Not again! How come I'm on nearly every f***ing picture?" ;)
Just in case there's any doubt, here's another (at the White Star):

aleandhearty
08-03-2012, 18:32
If you haven't previously been, I'd say Philharmonic

Have to agree with Trainman, go to the Phil first. Then, you have Fly in the Loaf, Roscoe Head and The Dispensary all on the same route back to the station. If you like a good pint of mild, The Dispensary have George Wright Marks Mild, which is on all the time, which is fab.

Roger, old boots, trainman and Ray: A belated thank you for all your suggestions. In the end we went to the Philharmonic, as it was just around the corner from the site we were visiting. As it turned out, only had time for a couple of halves and it broke my heart to walk down Hardman Street, past the Fly in the Loaf, Roscoe Head and Dispensary without calling in! :eek:

RogerB
08-03-2012, 19:13
After I put up loads of pics on my Facebook page a few of my friends have shown some serious interest in making a trip of it themselves so I may make a return visit sooner rather than later - I'll let you know as and when - you'll be welcome to tag along (as will anyone else).

aleandhearty
08-03-2012, 19:18
I may make a return visit sooner rather than later - I'll let you know as and when - you'll be welcome to tag along (as will anyone else).

Cheers. I might take you up on that.