PDA

View Full Version : New pub archaeology series - 'Pub Dig', History Channel, Friday 25th Nov, 9pm.

aleandhearty
20-11-2011, 11:08
I know 'oldboots' and 'Soupy' are out and out history nuts, but I suspect this programme will have a broader appeal. Basically, the programme follows a series of digs on the sites of some of Britain's most historic boozers. The basic premise is that pubs are often the oldest buildings in our towns and cities and they sit on undisturbed vaults of archaeological history. First up is The Six Bells in St Albans (the third largest city in Roman Britain) where they make an exciting discovery. Further reading here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2062681/Pint-history-Medieval-kitchens-Tudor-dockyards-Roman-hotel--fascinating-new-TV-digs-stories-hidden-beneath-oldest-pubs.html

Gann
20-11-2011, 11:28
Yep read this in the printed article in the Mail on Saturday magazine ( Not sure I should have exposed that I read the Mail, but I get it for the Codeword and Sudoko in the games section in the middle honest !)..
Sounds like it could be interesting and I actually like Rory McGrath's usual delivery style, although I have to put to one side the fact that he's a raving Gooner...

aleandhearty
20-11-2011, 11:50
Not sure I should have exposed that I read the Mail, but I get it for the Codeword and Sudoko in the games section in the middle honest !

I believe you Gann, honest!....Not sure about everyone else though. :D I nearly put a warning about the link going to the Mail online. Just for the record, I read about it in The Times. Could never buy a paper that's aimed at those who foam at the mouth...:)

Farway
20-11-2011, 13:42
I read about it in TV Choice, 42p from all good newsagents

Soup Dragon
22-11-2011, 15:27
where they make an exciting discovery..... [/url]

An untouched pint of Greene King IPA in a Roman glass - who said the Romans knew nothing about beer!

aleandhearty
23-11-2011, 09:57
An untouched pint of Greene King IPA in a Roman glass...

...With a battered piece of papyrus underneath bearing the words Well, it's not really IPA is it?

Soup Dragon
23-11-2011, 16:28
...With a battered piece of papyrus underneath bearing the words Well, it's not really IPA is it?

Rex Greene est taurus excrementus

ROBCamra
24-11-2011, 09:06
I know 'oldboots' and 'Soupy' are out and out history nuts[/url]

I suspect the word history is superfluous here. :D

aleandhearty
24-11-2011, 23:13

Indeed! :D

oldboots
25-11-2011, 07:08

Indeed! :D

:D I'll drink to that but then I'll drink to anything:cheers:

Soup Dragon
25-11-2011, 13:13
: I'll drink to anything:cheers:

No OB, there is an extra word in there, i think you mean't 'I'll drink anything':D

Farway
25-11-2011, 13:53
No OB, there is an extra word in there, i think you mean't 'I'll drink anything':D

Still a superfluous word

Maybe "I'll drink" would suffice?

Soup Dragon
25-11-2011, 14:23

Maybe no words

oldboots
26-11-2011, 08:51

Still a superfluous word

Maybe no words

in the words of the old song "(you) know him so well"

PS don't upset that mad Irish get by pinching his avatar :eek:

Strongers
27-11-2011, 16:31
Did anyone watch this?

What was the surprise?

aleandhearty
28-11-2011, 13:35
Did anyone watch this? What was the surprise?

Faintly ironic that although I suggested it, I was unable to watch it as I haven't made a pact with the devil (subscribed to Sky). Basically, the surprise was finding the remains of a Roman hotel, dating back 1500 years. It's possibly the largest one ever discovered.

aleandhearty
01-04-2012, 13:57
Thought I'd give this a bump as it's going to be repeated on Channel 5, starting Tues 3rd at 20.00.