PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham CAMRA Guide to 106 Real Ale Pubs

rpadam
19-11-2011, 23:04
This free leaflet, currently to be found in some Brum pubs, could be a useful crawl planner...

Al 10000
20-11-2011, 11:39
Hi rpadam,

Would it be possible to get one of these guides if i get in touch with Birmingham Camra branch,i think this would be very helpfull if i visit Birminghm in the future.

Thanks Alan

aleandhearty
20-11-2011, 12:55
Would it be possible to get one of these guides if i get in touch with Birmingham Camra branch,i think this would be very helpfull if i visit Birminghm in the future.

If you get no joy from CAMRA, I'm sure one of our Birmingham based members would scoop one up for you.

Real Ale Ray
20-11-2011, 14:31
The Welly always has them on the right hand side of the door as you go in, as Nigel was part of the idea of the Birmingham pub guide.

oldboots
20-11-2011, 17:47
Birmingham Camra have a fairly comprehensive web site which includes lists of pubs as well, try here (http://www.birminghamcamra.org.uk/). The contact details should get you to someone who can send you a copy unless one of the Midlands crew has volunteered already.

Andy Ven
20-11-2011, 21:10
Hi rpadam,

Thanks Alan

Alan,

if you PM me your address I'll pick one up and post it to you

Andy

Al 10000
21-11-2011, 16:27
Thanks for that Andy,

I think i have sent a PM with my address, but i have not done it before so i hope it has worked.

Cheers Alan

Al 10000
22-11-2011, 13:47
Thanks a lot Andy,

The guide arrived before 10.00 this morning and it is a lot better than i thought it would be with colour pictures and a decent map, hopefully when i get a bit more money coming in i will be able to knock a lot of pubs off that list.

Cheers Alan

Andy Ven
22-11-2011, 21:14
Al,

You need to thank someone else. I only posted one to you this afternoon!

Andy

Andy Ven
22-11-2011, 21:55
I notice that a couple of places in Birmingham Central are included in the guide but they aren't on the PG site:

Ginger's Bar (cocktail bar and restaurant http://www.purnellsrestaurant.com/gingers-bar and,
Annexe in Corporation Street (which Trip Advisor categorises as a restaurant).

What do we think - include on PG or not ?

RogerB
23-11-2011, 09:06
include on PG or not ?

I think "not" unless someone has a burning desire to visit them, photograph them and post a worthwhile review of them. Putting them on the site for the sake of it when 99.9% of drinkers using the site will ignore them anyway seems a bit pointless.

gillhalfpint
23-11-2011, 10:18
I agree with Roger that an establishment is best off site until someone visits and knows it is a pub. I don't know if Birmingham CAMRA has actually been to these and checked them out.

Last year I decided to do the PG pubs listed for Newquay, selected those with no review or photo and had rather a fruitless day walking all over trying to find some of them and feel that it is something I wouldn't be keen on doing again as it was a lot of effort for little reward.

PS. Some of the Newquay pubs had gone, been renamed, become lap dancing clubs or couldn't be found, but all were listed on here.

aleandhearty
23-11-2011, 10:52
Restaurant & bar combos are my pet hate, as regards listing on PuG. With many of them, although it is technically possible to squeeze into the small holding area for just a drink, the reality is that there is often huge expectation for punters to eat after a quick aperitif. For my money they are against the ethos of the site. I can think of several that I would delete at the drop of a hat.

Soup Dragon
23-11-2011, 11:06
I have just asked for a restaurant/bar to go on PG in Fowy (Globe), mainly as i did go in and found that it wasnt really a bar - but as it wasnt on PG i tried it - the others thet were on PG of the same ilk i ignored. It is a difficult one really and i think there is no clear answer, but i would rather they go on only if someone has been in to review

DannyO'Revey
01-12-2011, 13:59
The Birmingham Guide also mentions the opening of Birmingham's latest free house ale pub opening on 16th December - The Post Office Vaults in the former Royal Mail/Bash Bar on New Street - 8 real ales

DO

gillhalfpint
01-12-2011, 15:46
Thanks for reminding me. Going into town on the 16th for a little crawl round before going to York on 17th.

Andy Ven
01-12-2011, 21:11
The Birmingham Guide also mentions the opening of Birmingham's latest free house ale pub opening on 16th December - The Post Office Vaults in the former Royal Mail/Bash Bar on New Street - 8 real ales

DO

If you're on Twitter and already follow the Wellington you'll find that @POVaults is now following you.

The premises are already on PG because it's the old Bash Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56393/)

Their website is http://www.postofficevaults.co.uk/

Delboy20
02-12-2011, 20:33
I remember drinking in there years ago when it was the Royal Mail. Probably the mid 90's. When did it shut ?

Not a very big pub as I remember.

Andy Ven
05-12-2011, 18:02
The Post Office Vaults has tweeted that its permanent ales will be Salopian Oracle (http://salopianbrewery.co.uk/beers.php) and Hobson's MILD (http://www.hobsons-brewery.co.uk/beers/mild.aspx)

Andy Ven
15-12-2011, 17:07
Continuing with the Birmingham thread, the latest Out Inn Brum reports that Brewdog are set to open a bar in Birmingham and are asking for drinkers to forward ideas for suitable premises. The prize for successful suggestions is £1,000, plus £500 in beer and a lifetime discount at the bar.

DannyO'Revey
19-12-2011, 12:42
More good news if its Brewdog, I love their beers. Perfect area would be around High Street, as there is very little round here & the Bull Ring at present, but its still close to other outlets. What happened to ABC Brewery proposed pub??

Thanks to Andy & Gill for VERY early reviews of the Post Office Vaults! Any excuse..Hope to try it this week.

Andy Ven
19-12-2011, 22:52
More good news if its Brewdog, I love their beers. Perfect area would be around High Street, as there is very little round here & the Bull Ring at present, but its still close to other outlets. What happened to ABC Brewery proposed pub??

I thought that somewhere close to Moor Street station would be good.

I asked the Welly gaffer about the ABC pub a few months ago. He thought that they were struggling to find the right premises and that a 25 handpull pub was a tad ambitious. I also asked a chap on the ABC market stall on the first Wednesday of the month farmers' market and he didn't seem to think that they had moved any further forward.

The Welly gaffer, Nigel, has a stake in the PO Vaults. He was serving behind the bar in there tonight.

Andy Ven
20-12-2011, 16:34
The PO Vaults website is reporting "Having started with a range of 50 different foreign beers we have now had to double the selection to over 100 in just 3 days."

gillhalfpint
20-12-2011, 20:05
YES!!!!

Andy Ven
12-03-2012, 21:22
The Birmingham CAMRA Guide to 106 Real Ale Pubs has been updated. The cover is now green and the title has changed to The Birmingham CAMRA Guide to 107 Real Ale Pubs.

Al 10000
13-03-2012, 16:12
The Birmingham CAMRA Guide to 106 Real Ale Pubs has been updated. The cover is now green and the title has changed to The Birmingham CAMRA Guide to 107 Real Ale Pubs.

I have got a copy of this new guide and it has got a better layout than the last one but i hav'nt found the new pub that was added to this guide yet.

rpadam
26-01-2013, 10:48
I found the new (blue) 3rd edition of the Birmingham Camra guide the other day - down slightly to 105 pubs (probably due to two Harbourne pubs - the Vine and Kings Arms - noted as not selling real ale anymore, but there may be other changes hidden away).

Andy Ven
15-02-2013, 21:28
The City Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37538/)in Bishopsgate Street no longer serves real ale but I don't know if it dropped out at version 2 or version 3