PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 20th November 2011)

ROBCamra
16-11-2011, 11:16
Hopefully a few new choices this week as it's Bury Beer Festival. :cheers:

Wittenden: Adnam's New Zealand Pale Ale
Old Blue: Thornbridge/Kernel Coalition Burton Ale
Oggwyn Trench: Hobsons Old Comrade
gillhalfpint: Thornbridge/Kernal Coalition Burton Ale
Bucking Fastard: Ossett Silver King
oldboots: Nook Berry Blonde
Alesonly: Brewsters American Chopper
Thuck Phat: Wincle Under Taker
Pubsignman: Ascot Anastasia Exile Stout
RogerB: Fullers Black Cab Stout
aleandhearty: Fernandes Motueka IPA
ROBCamra: Copper Dragon Fire Dancer
Quinno: Big Bog brewery WPA (Welsh Pale Ale)
Millay: Blackwater Brewery Pre Raphaelite

Wittenden
19-11-2011, 23:48
I'll kick off with Adnam's New Zealand Pale Ale, a real charmer of a beer, a sensual non aggressive treat oozing with goosebery and elderflower. My introduction to the fabled Nelson Sauvin hop. What's more, it was served by gravity! I've loved Adnams since 1972, but this is arguably the best I've had, with the possible exception of their Old Ale.

Old Blue
20-11-2011, 12:23
A good week for me, much assisted by a tripto Sheffield, and hence a difficult decision. Interesting beers:
Nethergate - Monk’s Habit
Sawbridgeworth - Selhurst Park Flyer
Elgoods - Pageant Ale
Dark Star - festival (again)
Cottage - Jurassic Bark (again)
Dr. Morton – Rubrication
Westgate – Fireside
Great Heck – Slaughterhouse Porter
Acorn - Santiam IPA
Kelham Island – Bud Ekins
Farmers – Belgian Blue
Ossett - Big Red
Thornbridge - Lord Marples
Thornbridge – Seaforth
Skinners – Betty’s Big Sister
Thornbridge/Kernel – Coalition Burton Ale
Cottage – Puffing Billy
Bishop’s Castle – Three Tuns Stirling
Cottage – Invincible
MyBOTW last week was Dark Star Festival, which just nosed its way past CottageJurassic Bark. Having tried them bothagain together, I actually prefer the Cottage. But from a week of really good beers, everything loses out to the delicious ruby Thornbridge/Kernel Coalition Burton Ale

Oggwyn Trench
20-11-2011, 13:17
An OK Saturdays drinking this week

Stonehouse - KPA
Stonehouse - Station Bitter
Hobsons - Old Comrade
Tap House - Kingdom Victory
Thorne - Constant Nagging
Ole Slewfoot - Devils Dream
Bridestones - Marilyn
Ironbridge - Coracle

BOTW Hobsons - Old Comrade

aleandhearty
20-11-2011, 13:22
I've loved Adnams since 1972, but this is arguably the best I've had, with the possible exception of their Old Ale.

I think you might also like their Ghost Ship. Have you tried it? I seem to recall it was originally brewed as a one off for the 2010 autumn 'spoons festival, but after a lot of positive feedback, it was kept on as a seasonal. Brewed with Chinook, Columbus and Citra, I loved the big citrus hit.

gillhalfpint
20-11-2011, 14:27
An excellent day in Sheffield where I had 3 beers worthy of BOTW.

Geeves Naval Barge
Thornbridge Evenlode
Thornbridge/Kernal Coalition Burton Ale

so BOTW goes to the Thornbridge/Kernal Coalition Burton Ale

Bucking Fastard
20-11-2011, 15:49
After the feast of Nottingham,last week was more of a famine.Engine problems forced a mooring in Perivale which must have the lowest density of pubs anywhere in London :eek:,so a meagre choice for BOTW which turned out to be Ossett Silver King in the convivial surroundings of the Shipley Pride.

Wittenden
20-11-2011, 16:48
I think you might also like their Ghost Ship. Have you tried it? I seem to recall it was originally brewed as a one off for the 2010 autumn 'spoons festival, but after a lot of positive feedback, it was kept on as a seasonal. Brewed with Chinook, Columbus and Citra, I loved the big citrus hit.

I hope to be in Essex/London next Saturday, so may well run it to ground.

oldboots
20-11-2011, 18:18
Not a bad week for beer considering the York Tap opened and Otley beer festival was on :D:nishelypished:

Lots of choice, the outstanding ones

Mallinsons Emley Moor Mild
Riverhead March Haigh
Daleside Monkey Wrench
Kirkstall Tap 3
Dark Star American PA
Ilkley IXB
Kirkstall Pale Ale
Wharfebank VPA (Launched at Otley Beer festival)
Leeds Gathering Storm
Magic Rock Curious
Magic Rock Curious NZ
Magic Rock Rapture
Nook Berry Blonde
Salamander Golden Salamander
Acorn Gorlovka

I think it ought to be the Nook Berry Blonde, 4.5% and very drinkable, a little sweet for some tastes but you will taste why it's called Beery as in fruit.

Alesonly
20-11-2011, 20:22
Had too much beer this week I cant remember half them. I had Two days at the beer festivals Plus A wetherspoon Pub crawl & Nicholson's Pub Crawl & the St Albans Pub Crawl As I was on a weeks leave.
Some of the Beers below I wrote down.

Beartown Wojtek
Wychwood Hobgoblin
Wychwood Ginger Beard
Wychwood Dogs Bollocks
Brakspear Triple
Brewsters American Chopper
Salopian Vapour Trail
Titanic Fit Out
Hilden Twisted Hop
Okells Saison
G/K Abbot Reserve
Brains SA Gold
Roosters Wild Mule
Moorhouse Pendle Porter
St Austell Trelawny
RCH Firey Liz
RCH PG Steam

I Will Go for Brewsters American Chopper As Beer of the week.

Thuck Phat
21-11-2011, 10:51
This week:

Oakham Bishops Farewell
Wincle Under Taker
Bass
Pedigree
TT Landlord

The Bishops was, as ever, outstanding but BOTW goes to Wincle Under Taker. A new brewery to me and this is a dark ale at 4.5% which is good after a half but continues to improve the more you have.

Pubsignman
21-11-2011, 11:22
A few interesting ones this week including Tring Blonde, Rebellion Smuggler, Fullers Black Cab Stout and Whitstable Kentish Reserve, but none of these came close to Ascot Anastasia Exile Stout which was on fine form in the Claret Free House, Addiscombe.

RogerB
21-11-2011, 11:43
Did a couple of mini crawls around Covent Garden and Islington during the week prior to a couple of gigs - some interesting stuff including a set of organic beers from Pitfield Brewery which were all new to me. I think this week however I'll opt for one that was pipped a couple of weeks back - Fullers Black Cab Stout in the Lamb & Flag, Covent Garden.

aleandhearty
21-11-2011, 14:31
A very good batch of beers sampled this week, with only a couple not to my taste. This week's contenders:

Wychwood - Dogs Bollocks.
Roosters - Jasmine IPA.
Kelham Island - Pale Rider.
Wentworth - Aussie Blonde.
Marble - Ginger.
Goose Eye - Chinook.
Saltaire - Hazelnut Coffee Porter.
Two Roses - Chinook.
Brown Cow - Captain Oates.
Northern - Two Tone Special.
Fernandes - Motueka IPA.
Allgates - Shimla IPA.
Fernandes - Malt Shovel MILD.
Ossett - Silver Link.

Enjoyed three lovely dark ales in Captain Oates, Two Tone Special and regular contender MSM, but the clear winner was Fernandes Motueka IPA, a wonderfully aromatic pale beer.

Quinno
21-11-2011, 15:11
WPA (Welsh Pale Ale) from Big Bog brewery, sampled in Spooner's Cafe & Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62125/), Porthmadog.

ROBCamra
22-11-2011, 10:49
Sadly the quality and WOW factor was completely missing at Bury, oh well. :mad:

In fact I had Robinson's Build A Rocket Boys brewed by Elbow at the festival.

I then had a pint of it here Art Picture House (Lloyds No.1) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64582/) and it was in much better condition.

Acorn Santiam IPA was pretty good in the Regal Moon but I wasn't as impressed with it as others have been.

Dunscar Bridge Clockin' Off was good in The Baum.

But the BOTW is going to be Copper Dragon Fire Dancer. Amber coloured but tasted much lighter, a nice beer for a session. :cheers:

Millay
22-11-2011, 21:39
This week it's going to be Blackwater Brewery Pre Raphaelite, a complex beer with strong hops, citrus and malty undertones.