PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the Trip Advisors

Pubsignman
31-10-2011, 17:42
Documentary on Channel 4 tonight (21:00) that might be of interest to some of our reviewers (and admins!).

"Cutting Edge explores the impact of negative online reviews on the British hospitality industry, and whether the Trip Advisor website is beneficial to consumers or an online resource open to abuse. With more than 40 million users a month, the site is the world's largest and most powerful travel guide, but some businesses struggle to cope with the relentless criticism published on its forums"

Galore Admin
31-10-2011, 21:11
Damn, only just spotted this.

Thanks for the heads up Pubsignman, will try and track down a watch again copy. Does sound like the sort of thing I would find really interesting.

Conrad

Pubsignman
31-10-2011, 23:42
You can watch it online here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/attack-of-the-trip-advisors/4od#3252263

I thought it was quite an entertaining programme - a few crazy proprietors and some slightly disturbing reviewers. Has anyone on here ever considered detailing the cleanliness of a pub's toilet brush in one of their reviews? There's a whole world of detail out there that we're missing out on!

Thuck Phat
01-11-2011, 07:56
There's a whole world of detail out there that we're missing out on!

I think that I'm happy to miss on that detail and try to hang on to my own, probably spurious, version of sanity.

Clearly much of the overall impression given is down to the editing but my own view was that, whilst no-one featured came out superbly, the reviewers came across far worse than the proprietors. It certainly made me think about how I go about these things but I think that generally the reviews here are very even handed and if there is criticism it tends to be constructive.

Gann
01-11-2011, 10:44
You can watch it online here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/attack-of-the-trip-advisors/4od#3252263

Many thanks Pubsignman, also missed this first time around and will definately give it a look..

I am a heavy user of Trip Adviser over recent years and my experience is that, like this site, it is beneficial to consumers, and it's been a couple of years since I've inadvertinently booked myself into a sh*thole by mistake. And if some businesses are struggling to cope with the relentless criticism, then its the ones which are poor and are doing nothing about improving..
Yes, there are picky or mad reviewers, but just like here, you can spot them a mile off.
One example I have is for a B&B in Tenby which had glowing reviews from all reviewers except two who scored it a 1.
On investigation they had both scored it poorly because the B&B did not allow children under 14 into the public areas, such as the bar and lounge.
Armed with this information we booked it immediately !!

Farway
01-11-2011, 13:42
As a reviewer & user of Trip Advisor I watched the programme, seemed to me the editor picked the worst examples, a bit of balance would have been to go the most highly rated & ask how the business was booming with all the good reviews they get

I know I booked a B & B in Cornwall on strength of reviews, and was not disappointed, likewise get an idea of what to look out for in the bargain Travel lodge you fancy booking

I'm with Gann, some of the reviewers did seem a bit potty, but no doubt that was the editing in order to make "good" television

PaulOfHorsham
01-11-2011, 19:27
As a reviewer & user of Trip Advisor I watched the programme, seemed to me the editor picked the worst examples, a bit of balance would have been to go the most highly rated & ask how the business was booming with all the good reviews they getSo, they decided to sensationalise it, rather than do any proper journalism? There's a thing. I've recorded the programme, so I can have a look myself in due course.

Andy Ven
01-11-2011, 20:24
There seemed to be some nit pickers who went out of their way to find faults, and they were fanatical about it.

The B&B/guest house owners got very uptight about criticism and I don't think they came across very well either.

I never heard the word 'libel' mentioned once though.