PDA

View Full Version : A question about the forums

Conrad
25-01-2010, 14:47
Just a quick question.

Ed has posted this suggestion (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?884-New-Posts).

I have found a way to remove That Doesn't Go There forum from the New Posts (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post) list, new posts will still be indicated as unread if you physically go into that forum, but they will not show up on your New Posts lists.

Only problem is that for the moment this would effect everyone rather than being selectable by individuals. I do think it is a better behaviour overall though.

Rather than just go ahead and change it I thought I best check, sorry this is off-topic for this forum, but wanted to get maximum visibility.

I will add a poll to this thread as well, but feel free to post with a yes or no in here, you'll even get your post count up :)

So the question is should posts in the 'That Doesn't Go There' forum show up when you look at New Posts?

I think No.

Eddie86
25-01-2010, 15:48
As it would still show up if we went into that forum im keeping my original vote of no. it makes that aspect of the site 'semi behind the scenes', but we could still check that our updateshave been received.

Conrad
25-01-2010, 15:56
Ok, with only 5 votes in and all agreeing I have enabled the change, if someone does convince me otherwise I will reverse the change, but I am struggling to see a good reason.

RogerB
25-01-2010, 17:46
7 votes now and there's always 14.29% who have to be different. :mad:

Conrad
25-01-2010, 18:25
If you click on the number of votes you can see who voted for what as I made it a public poll. And as Mr A has not given his reasoning I will assume he is being awkward :p

aleandhearty
25-01-2010, 18:31
I've no real strong opinion either way, hence my lateness in viewing. I just click on chit-chat 90% of the time anyway.

oldboots
25-01-2010, 18:49
....as Mr A has not given his reasoning I will assume he is being awkward :p

..... there's always 14.29% who have to be different. :mad:

It's only 12.5% being different now, does this mean Mr A's awkwardness is shrinking? Have you noticed any thing strange Mr A? (well stranger than usual)

arwkrite
26-01-2010, 11:07
Am I getting the name of being a trouble maker ? Fame at last. I look at New Posts merely to catch up with everything as quickly as possible if I have been off the forum for a while ( not that it happens very often:D) I believe that a post is a post and so I voted as I did. Sometimes one has to plow one's own lonely furrow all 14.29% and shrinking of it.:p
However it is nice to see the basics of democracy being applied . Polls,Forum Mods whatever next? a referendum on the EU membership? I would probably be the dissenting percentage on that as well.
We had better have a Party Whip (well I go to strange parties ok).

Eddie86
26-01-2010, 12:45
Well a quick thank you from me for this Conrad!

Conrad
26-01-2010, 12:52
I look at New Posts merely to catch up with everything as quickly as possible if I have been off the forum for a while ( not that it happens very often:D) I believe that a post is a post and so I voted as I did.
I have to admit it was handy for me as well to try and keep track of the changes I still need to do (or pretend to do on recent form). But I can see how that forum would be a little dull to most people , also I probably should be happy we are advertising a little less how many corrections are needed :).

hopwas
31-01-2010, 17:07
Grrrrr.. I didn't know about this change. I always look at "That Doesn't Go There" forum or in new posts. Until today, I wondered what went wrong with 'That Doesn't Go There' doesnt show up in new posts even new post has been posted.

Then I saw this thread...

That brings me new suggestion. Why not PM PG regulars warning of new changes or upgrades is on the way.

Thanks

Hoppy

Conrad
31-01-2010, 18:34
I don't really see that is what the PM system is for, a lot of people have their PM set to email them when a PM is sent, this would be verging on spamming them as we try to frequently do changes. Arguably we could use the announcements to make posts at the top of the forum, but I still think that people would just stop reading them if that was the way we used it.

If done properly this for me is what the Technical Forum (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?5-Technical-%28New-Development-Issues%29) is for. If people are concerned about the changes then monitor that forum closely?