PDA

View Full Version : This week, I'll be mostly reading / listening to / watching / going to see....

aleandhearty
25-01-2010, 14:21
Thought it might be interesting to see what makes us all tick (apart from beer of course!) For example, I know RogerB's a fanatical live music follower. I'm not necessarily expecting a breakdown of each category, just something that's grabbed you this week.

To get the ball rolling:

Reading: Currently ploughing my way through David Peace's 'Red Riding Quartet'. (Shown last year on Channel Four) The four books have been described as 'Yorkshire noir, and are dark, visceral thrillers based on police corruption in West Yorkshire in the 1970's and 80's. As much of the action takes place within my home city (Wakefield), they are particularly fascinating for me.

Listening to: JJ Cale 'Roll On'. Been a massive fan of his fusion of jazz, blues and country for years. Nothing really changes on his albums, but that's part of their charm.

ROBCamra
25-01-2010, 14:32
Thought it might be interesting to see what makes us all tick (apart from beer of course!) For example, I know RogerB's a fanatical live music follower. I'm not necessarily expecting a breakdown of each category, just something that's grabbed you this week.

To get the ball rolling:

Reading: Currently ploughing my way through David Peace's 'Red Riding Quartet'. (Shown last year on Channel Four) The four books have been described as 'Yorkshire noir, and are dark, visceral thrillers based on police corruption in West Yorkshire in the 1970's and 80's. As much of the action takes place within my home city (Wakefield), they are particularly fascinating for me.

Listening to: JJ Cale 'Roll On'. Been a massive fan of his fusion of jazz, blues and country for years. Nothing really changes on his albums, but that's part of their charm.

Reading: I'm just about to finish Nation by Terry Pratchett and as I got the new Ian Rankin - The Complaints for Xmas I suspect that will be next.

Listening to: Foo Fighters and inspired by the jukebox in The Fringe in Manchester on Saturday I've got out my old Stone Roses & The Cure stuff.

Tilly-Miss
25-01-2010, 14:36
Channel4 certainly highlighted the police corruption and in my view done a very good documentry which was great viewing, shows how times have changed and how our pc plod has become no more than a thug in uniform this being highlighted weekly on tv shows such as road wars and street wars,government have sent the message out to take no nonsense,some of the recent tv footage has shown corrupt police and some violent police behaviour that nobody likes to see.

aleandhearty
25-01-2010, 14:48
I've got out my old Stone Roses & The Cure stuff.

Can't argue with those ROB. What's frightening for me though, is that my fifteen year old daughter now likes The Cure! :eek:

ROBCamra
25-01-2010, 15:07
Can't argue with those ROB. What's frightening for me though, is that my fifteen year old daughter now likes The Cure! :eek:

That shouldn't frighten you, that makes you a cool dad.

My godson (now 22) is so jealous that I went to see e.g Deep Purple, Quo, Sabbath etc in the early 70's and then Stranglers, Buzzcocks (8 times), Jam (8 times), Damned etc in the late 70's. :notworthy::notworthy:

He's not so sure about Shalamar, Kool and the Gang, Human League etc in the 80's though. :whistle:

Conrad
25-01-2010, 15:12
:D It is terrible just how rubbish most new music is though.

Well a little unsurprisingly as a computer geek I like computer games, so my 360 gets some of my free time.

TV, I think it is well and truly out there that I am an SF fan, and we have been making our way through Supernatural episodes recently.

Reading, don't find the time for it these days, but I am slowly rereading the Dark is Rising sequence of childrens books having seen the truly awful movie and wanting to remind myself of how good the original was.

Music, nothing specific jumps to mind I generally just leave random play on, shamefully found myself enjoying Evanesence (in amongst a number of good Red Hot Chilli Pepper singles) on the music channel on Saturday though, so may as well embarass myself with that.

arwkrite
25-01-2010, 17:11
It is terrible just how rubbish most new music is though. Quote Conrad.

This Conrad is the position taken by the small group here who are proud to call themselves BOFs. I did not think you qualified either by age or outlook. You will be telling us next that Doctors and Policemen look far to young.
It all went downhill when Billie Cotton ,senior went from radio to tv. and Tamla Motown took over the charts.That Cliff Richard is only a flash in the pan ,you watch he wont last.

Conrad
25-01-2010, 17:27
This Conrad is the position taken by the small group here who are proud to call themselves BOFs. I did not think you qualified either by age or outlook. You will be telling us next that Doctors and Policemen look far to young.
It all went downhill when Billie Cotton ,senior went from radio to tv. and Tamla Motown took over the charts.That Cliff Richard is only a flash in the pan ,you watch he wont last.
I only moan about Doctors looking too young when they're male :whistle: (or sticking needles in me).

As to music, I await Dave's reply to this thread, I will never know where he acquired his taste, but it must have been left by someone before he was born.

Oggwyn Trench
25-01-2010, 17:35
My house is full of books , i have usually got at least 3 on the go , at the moment they are
Terry Pratchet , Unseen Academicals
Frankie Boyle , My Shit Life so Far
Ian Fleming , Thunderball
I am reading all the James Bond books in order .

As for music its a strange mix at the moment
Rammstein , Liebe ist fur Alle Da
Leonard Cohen , Isle of White 1970
The Clash , London Calling
Ian Dury , Reasons to be Cheerfull
Howling Wolf , Moanin at Midnight

aleandhearty
25-01-2010, 17:51
That Cliff Richard is only a flash in the pan ,you watch he wont last.

I wish he'd been a flush in the pan, years ago.

Lucky enough to see the old curmudgeon when he was in his pomp, c.1978. Looking forward to seeing Andy Serkis play him.

Dave M
25-01-2010, 17:56
As to music, I await Dave's reply to this thread, I will never know where he acquired his taste, but it must have been left by someone before he was born.

Oi, just because the two bands that I've seen play live the most - Yes and The Strawbs (who played at the GBBF last year) - happened to release their first albums around 8 years before I was born! Actually I'm not quite sure where my taste came from either.

I wish he'd been a flush in the pan, years ago.
:D That just earned some rep!!

oldboots
25-01-2010, 18:06
I have to drive down to the south tomorrow and back home on Wednesday afternoon so I will be listening to what ever Radio 2 chucks at me (only because they have regular and usually trustworthy traffic reports). Yesterday it was King Crimson (Red), Pink Floyd (Atom Heart Mother) and Beethoven (symphonies 3,5 &6).

Books everywhere in our house too, only one room doesn't have any in. I have a pile of books higher than myself to read, what with all the work dross, Whats Brewing, hobby magazines, blogs and god knows what else I'll have to wait till I'm retired to read something that's not work, beer or hobby oriented. With any luck I might slip in a quick novel next time I'm on a ferry, I'm only up to Hogfather on the Terry Prachetts.

Conrad
25-01-2010, 18:37
I possibly should have said that my house is full of books however. Just don't seem to get through more than 1 a month these days, I find it a struggle to keep up with all my New Scientists, I keep on tempting myself to cancel that in the hope I find more time for books again.

I am scared that everyone likes Mr Pratchett, I have long held the belief that he just re-releases the same book having mixed the names around a little bit :p . Although I must admit that I did love Good Omens, I try to blame that on Neil Gaiman though.

Oggwyn Trench
25-01-2010, 19:07
I possibly should have said that my house is full of books however. Just don't seem to get through more than 1 a month these days, I find it a struggle to keep up with all my New Scientists, I keep on tempting myself to cancel that in the hope I find more time for books again.

I am scared that everyone likes Mr Pratchett, I have long held the belief that he just re-releases the same book having mixed the names around a little bit :p . Although I must admit that I did love Good Omens, I try to blame that on Neil Gaiman though.

Pratchett is brilliant , or used to be the last 5/6 books have not been a patch on the earlier ones , then again he is ill (Alzheimers)

arwkrite
25-01-2010, 20:00
I got hooked on Pratchett when I read that one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse was living in Brownhills,West Mids was an old Rocker and drove a Ford Transit van.Sheer Brilliance.

HTM69
25-01-2010, 21:34
I am currently ploughing through Mario Puzo's, The Godfather.

Music-wise? Elvis has been on rotation of late and i can't see it changing this week, either. Oh, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, too.

Soup Dragon
25-01-2010, 21:44
The 70s series of Survivors is on my list to view, reading - well lots of old school records for the talks i have to put on - not found Mr A's school records yet though - they dont go far enough back:p Listening.... a bit of Miles Hunt and the Wonderstuff, as i am seeing him in Woolyhampton on saturday

RogerB
25-01-2010, 22:37
Reading - page 2 of Ulysses. I'll do page 3 next year.

Listening to - my ipod has over 43,000 songs ranging from 20's blues to current indie. I have it on shuffle so it's not unusual to have Louis Armstrong followed by a dose of Anthrax!

Watching - 2nd half of Charlton v Orient tonight. Mainly watch movies - last one was the epic historical classic El Cid.

Going to see - Spurs v Fulham tomorrow, Liam Frost at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on Friday, Harrow Borough v Dartford on Saturday possibly followed by Canary Wolf at the Millers Cottage in Gravesend. Last gig was the Rich Kids reunion at the Islington Academy 7 Jan. Spent half the evening standing next to Mick Jones of the Clash. Legend!:notworthy:

ROBCamra
26-01-2010, 09:43
My house is full of books , i have usually got at least 3 on the go , at the moment they are
Terry Pratchet , Unseen Academicals
Frankie Boyle , My Shit Life so Far
Ian Fleming , Thunderball
I am reading all the James Bond books in order .

As for music its a strange mix at the moment
Rammstein , Liebe ist fur Alle Da
Leonard Cohen , Isle of White 1970
The Clash , London Calling
Howling Wolf , Moanin at Midnight

I got Unseen Academicals for Xmas as well so I think that one will follow Ian Rankin.

arwkrite
26-01-2010, 10:03
What interesting lives you all lead. I am just watching paint dry and reading junk mail at the moment but hope things will improve soon when I find the start button on my brain.:confused:
Soupy I dont think you will find my school records. It is feared they were all burnt in The Walsall Black Pudding Riots in the 1960's when most of the town centre was destroyed.This gave the Council a chance to modernise on the cheap using mentally deranged architects hence Walsall's strange appearance today:eek:.Stranger things have happened at sea but I cannot see what that has to do with anything.

dpv
26-01-2010, 11:18
reading: Just got "Generosity" by Richard Powers, just finished "Last shop standing" by Graham Jones (a nationwide tour of the last few independent record shops still trading these days).

listening: Right this minute, Grateful Dead, hollywood palladium 10 Sept 1972 (free legal bootleg on archive dot org). I've also been listening to a lot of Vic Chesnutt who died last month. Otherwise I'm musically all over the place, mentally I can't deal with full shuffle like RogerB, but have a collection of old, cheap mp3 players which have different vaguely thematically organised tracklists (the one i have today is mostly bluegrass, surf guitar, rockabilly and western swing - uptempo and heavy on the instrumentals I suppose).

watching: Would you believe "Klokka atte hos meg", norwegian version of "Come dine with me" which can be watched online. And I got sucked into the eastenders holiday cheer - nothing beats misery at Christmas time, especially with a long drawn out murder inquiry.

going to: Joe Pernice tonight at Union Chapel, maybe Laura Veirs tomorrow, thursday a talk at the British Museum "From Antiquity to the Enlightenment: the origins of the British Museum". Some sort of live music in the weekend but I haven't decided yet.

ROBCamra
26-01-2010, 12:17
Oi, just because the two bands that I've seen play live the most - Yes and The Strawbs (who played at the GBBF last year) - happened to release their first albums around 8 years before I was born! Actually I'm not quite sure where my taste came from either.

:D That just earned some rep!!

I saw Yes on the Fragile, Close To The Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans tours all in the early 70's.:notworthy:

I guess that's showing my age !

Eddie86
26-01-2010, 12:42
Reading: :d Pete Brown Hops and Glory, soon to be followed by TP's latest offering when it hits paperback. Last one I read was Nation. Given where I live, I don't read as often as I should!

Watch: Hustle on Iplayer. I feel a little bit sad and a little more cautious each time they don't pay eddie the barman for their drinks...

Listen - I'm a Mo-town boy, Temptations lead the way for me :)

Play - Xbox, it;s my stress relief (MW2). Mario games and Wiifit on the Wii to keep my fine body shape :p

Conrad
26-01-2010, 13:09
Play - Xbox, it;s my stress relief (MW2).
I swear that game is the bane of my life, and I don't even own it.

On the week it came out my home Internet connection starting becoming unusable in the evenings, and is still not working outside of work hours. I have added 2 & 2 and decided that I need to make sure I don't live in a student area if I want a working Internet connection (or don't use Virgin :moremad:)

Eddie86
26-01-2010, 13:10
I swear that game is the bane of my life, and I don't even own it.

On the week it came out my home Internet connection starting becoming unusable in the evenings, and is still not working outside of work hours. I have added 2 & 2 and decided that I need to make sure I don't live in a student area if I want a working Internet connection (or don't use Virgin :moremad:)

:d

Conrad
26-01-2010, 13:16
:d
Sadly if it only works 20% of the time it is still cheaper and more effective than any other connection I can get at my house (not taking into account download limits and I may watch a certain amount of American tv :whistle:).

I swear if I ever meet the person who outsourced their call support though, well in fact the best torture I can think of is to get them to try and report a line fault to Virgin call support.

And please can some phone company bother to convert the phone exchanges in Bristol to ADSL2!

Dave M
26-01-2010, 13:18
I saw Yes on the Fragile, Close To The Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans tours all in the early 70's.:notworthy:

You have no idea how jealous I am!! I'd love to have been there for all those (if only I'd been born then), first time I got to see them was about 23 years later in the Keys To Ascension tour - not quite as momentous.

Saw them a couple of months ago, it was odd seeing them without Jon Anderson singing and with one of Rick Wakemans sons on Keys.

aleandhearty
26-01-2010, 19:16
I saw Yes on the Fragile, Close To The Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans tours all in the early 70's
Must admit I was abit of a fan in the early 70's. Certainly gave Close To The Edge, Fragile and Yessongs some hammer. Being LP's in those days, the large gatefold album covers did Roger Dean's fantastic artwork real justice....Pause to wipe away a tear.

aleandhearty
26-01-2010, 19:20
reading: Just got "Generosity" by Richard Powers, just finished "Last shop standing" by Graham Jones (a nationwide tour of the last few independent record shops still trading these days).

listening: Right this minute, Grateful Dead, hollywood palladium 10 Sept 1972 (free legal bootleg on archive dot org). I've also been listening to a lot of Vic Chesnutt who died last month. Otherwise I'm musically all over the place, mentally I can't deal with full shuffle like RogerB, but have a collection of old, cheap mp3 players which have different vaguely thematically organised tracklists (the one i have today is mostly bluegrass, surf guitar, rockabilly and western swing - uptempo and heavy on the instrumentals I suppose).

watching: Would you believe "Klokka atte hos meg", norwegian version of "Come dine with me" which can be watched online. And I got sucked into the eastenders holiday cheer - nothing beats misery at Christmas time, especially with a long drawn out murder inquiry.

going to: Joe Pernice tonight at Union Chapel, maybe Laura Veirs tomorrow, thursday a talk at the British Museum "From Antiquity to the Enlightenment: the origins of the British Museum". Some sort of live music in the weekend but I haven't decided yet.

The usual mainstream stuff then. :D I'll have to google a few of those names!

Eddie86
26-01-2010, 19:31
Sadly if it only works 20% of the time it is still cheaper and more effective than any other connection I can get at my house (not taking into account download limits and I may watch a certain amount of American tv :whistle:).

I swear if I ever meet the person who outsourced their call support though, well in fact the best torture I can think of is to get them to try and report a line fault to Virgin call support.

And please can some phone company bother to convert the phone exchanges in Bristol to ADSL2!

As I'm sure you can guess, no company has unpacked our exchange, which means we can only get basic broadband. 5 - 8pm, less than 1meg. Argh!

RogerB
26-01-2010, 23:30
first time I got to see them was about 23 years later in the Keys To Ascension tour - not quite as momentous.

First time I saw them was at Hammersmith Odeon in 1980 when the guys from Buggles were in them and yes, they did sneak in a bit of Video Killed The Radio Star. :(

I was never a big Yes fan to be honest.

HTM69
02-02-2010, 00:01
Still reading the Godfather

Currently listening to... Fight For This Love - Cheryl Cole :o

aleandhearty
02-02-2010, 12:27
This week:

Reading: Decided to have a break from the unrelenting gore of David Peace, before starting '1983'. Instead, opting for the much gentler collection of short stories 'That Thing Around Your Neck' by Nigerian-American author Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche.

Watching: BBC4s History of Latin Music. A wonderful contrast to the UK culture of celibacy and Morris Dancing. Also, the Six Nations Rugby begins. :cheers: Am I the only rugby fan on PuG? Everyone else seems to be into footie. Anyway, the next five weekends are sorted.

Listening: Dug out PJ Harvey's 'Songs from the City, Songs from the Sea' for my daughter to listen to and realised I'd forgotten what a brilliant album it is.

Conrad
02-02-2010, 12:55
This week so far has been predominantly made up of ranting at Virgin Media in my spare time, apparently it is completely appropriate for them to leave my home connection broken till June :moremad:, so busily sorting out an ADSL second connection with the far superior Zen Internet at my house so that I can once again take part on the forums in the evening, and do any work I need to at home.

Anyway, got that off my chest now.

Reading: What's that? Now 4 weeks behind on New Scientist, hopefully will catch up with some of that, managed to read my copy of 2000AD if that counts though ;)

Watching: Lost last season about to restart I think, so hoping they may answer some of the questions now they are into the last season. :confused:

Listening: Well my random play has currently thrown in A Perfect Circle in amongst Tantric, Bush, Nickelback and Metallica, so I guess Pop Rock is the amusing answer.

Farway
02-02-2010, 14:34
Reading The instructions for the sat nav wot I bought from ASDA, all new to me being techno phobe by heart, why can't things just "work"

Watching Probably same sat nav as it pilots me miles out of my way

Listening Presumably to whatever the sat nav says, if I ever pass item 1 above

Strongers
02-02-2010, 14:46
Reading: Haynes manual for my old CBR 125 that has been sat outside for months. It will appear in Motorcycle News on Thursday so I thought it would be a good idea if I found out whether it still goes - it doesn't!

Watching: CBeebies - I'm a house husband at the moment!

Listening: All sorts of sounds can be found in this house - none of them very pleasant.

aleandhearty
02-02-2010, 14:46
so busily sorting out an ADSL second connection with the far superior Zen Internet

Whoosh! straight over my head. And in English?

Listening Presumably to whatever the sat nav says, if I ever pass item 1 above

Sounds like one of those really stressful purchases F/W. Hopefully, you'll have got a model with the soothing, mellifluous tones of Joanna Lumley.

Conrad
02-02-2010, 14:55
Whoosh! straight over my head. And in English?
Don't use Virgin Media if you have any other choices as they are happy to screw over their customers. :)

aleandhearty
02-02-2010, 14:59
Don't use Virgin Media if you have any other choices as they are happy to screw over their customers. :)

You really do't like Virgin Media at the moment, do you? :D Soon be beer o' clock.

RogerB
02-02-2010, 18:34
Off to Leeds for tomorrow's Cup Replay and a couple of days seeing the sights and sampling the delights of West Yorkshire. Staying in Wakefield - seems to have a few interesting pubs. Will no doubt achieve 3rd new 'Spoons of the week just to annoy Hoppy and hopefully Aleandhearty will be acting as tour guide for an evening.

The Leeds v Spurs match programme will be about all I will read.

Will have quite a few car hours so i-pod on shuffle could throw up some interesting combinations.

Will be back in time to register my BotW which will no doubt be something from up north.

Oggwyn Trench
02-02-2010, 18:41
As i`m a bit of a cook i have got a few cook books , just been glancing through one (Larousse Gastronomique , a cooking encyclopedia) and have just read how to skin and joint a frog :sick:

Eddie86
02-02-2010, 20:44
Come on Wales!

Sadly I'll be in the kitchen for the game, so it'll be on record at home. As soon as I finish work, headphones go in, loud music, and they don't come out until the match is about to start for me! Apparently you can't fire someone for telling you the score I found out last year...

aleandhearty
02-02-2010, 21:04
Come on Wales!

I hate to admit it but I think you'll win. However, should we triumph that's a firkin of Butty Bach you owe me!

runningdog
02-02-2010, 21:20
Well, bxgger me, had it all wrote down then it vanished, perhaps the trolls were right, even the sites getting bored. Well 'ard luck, 'ere we go agen.
Reading?...Geoffrey Picot's 'Accidental Warrior'. subtitled 'In the front line from Normandy till victory', a sort of undramatised one man 'Band of Brothers.
Watching... CSI
Listening to... Rarely listen to present day stuff. I'm in the process of transfering my LP and tape collection to the computer, it looks like a long job.....:drinkup::drinkup:

Eddie86
02-02-2010, 21:53
I hate to admit it but I think you'll win. However, should we triumph that's a firkin of Butty Bach you owe me!

That's fine, I'll post it through your letterbox :D

I like Gatland, and his recent stance of 'if you don't play in Wales I won't pick you' (regarding Hook I imagine) is to be applauded.

aleandhearty
04-02-2010, 13:50
That's fine, I'll post it through your letterbox :D.....I like Gatland

Letterbox? Just in case, I'm drawing up plans to install a huge cat flap!

I've a lot of time for Warren Gatland. I think he and Sean Edwards make quite a team. I love it when they zoom in on them for a reaction shot, when things are going badly. WG will be poker faced, whilst SE looks as though his head will explode. You don't need to be a lip reader to know what he's saying! :)

Gann
04-02-2010, 14:23
Reading: 10 Years of Talk Sport... Alan Brazil, now there is someone who can drink...:drinkup:

Listening: Have blown the dust off New Boot and Panties after seeing the Ian Dury Bio-pic the other day.
The Blockheads are up there with the bands I have seen the most over the years.

Watching: Bleeding American Idol..:mad: as by the time I get home the teenage daughter is in and has control of the remote.

Going to see: Spurs v Villa this weekend and Sarries at Wembley next weekend, and then the missus has told me to keep the Sunday after free from sports or pubs visits , but bugger if I know why :confused:

aleandhearty
08-02-2010, 13:32

That's fine, I'll post it through your letterbox :D

Letterbox? Just in case, I'm drawing up plans to install a huge cat flap!

Beavering away with the jigsaw as I type Eddie! Thought it was a poor game to be honest. At one stage in the second half we went to sleep again :mad: and I thought you were going to catch up like two years ago.

Eddie86
08-02-2010, 13:42
no, we decided not to turn up and sent the reservesinstead!on my way to oxford to drown my sorrows...

aleandhearty
08-02-2010, 13:59
on my way to oxford to drown my sorrows...
Is that literally then? With water? I thought the Dorothy Goodbody's was on hold for another two weeks. :) If you lose to Scotland I think you might crack.

Eddie86
08-02-2010, 15:50
the mrs surprisedme by buyingme a pint. apparently 2 weeks for me is the equivalent to a month! off to find the old bookbinders, fittingAs im from hay :)

Oggwyn Trench
08-02-2010, 19:03
the mrs surprisedme by buyingme a pint. apparently 2 weeks for me is the equivalent to a month! off to find the old bookbinders, fittingAs im from hay :)

You`d be better off at the Lamb & Flag , not to far from the Old Bookbinders

aleandhearty
25-02-2010, 11:59
This week:
Reading:Just started Lawrence Dallaglio's autobiography- 'It's in the Blood' which is quite appropriate with the 6 Nations being on. Rated him as a player, but I found him a bit of a git, off the field, to be honest. Be interesting to see how he comes across. Also, wading through the instruction booklet to my new Panasonic breadmaker. Can't wait to get that cracking!

Listening to: Bob Dylan's 'Together Through Life'. Bought for me, for my recent 50th :eek:, by my daughter. Sounds like the old goat's treading water, but one or two decent tracks. Will probably catch the second part of 'Last Orders', at some stage. Just enough there to maintain my interest.

Watching: Back to the 6N this weekend.:cheers: After two unconvincing performances, will probably end up watching England lose to Ireland through my fingers. Sorry Eddie, can't see you beating France.

ROBCamra
25-02-2010, 12:13
Reading: Loads of copies of Derby Drinker, Ouse Boozer and Fylde Ale that I've picked up on our recent travels plus Jeffery Deaver's The Bodies Left Behind.

Listening to: The Drums (Beach Boys meet the Strokes meet The Killers) and some old Teenage Fan Club (Grand Prix & Songs From Northern Britain)

Watching: Flags Of Our Fathers & Letters From Iwo Jima - Top class Clint Eastwood directed war films that I've failed to get around to in the past.

Conrad
25-02-2010, 12:20
I live in dread of this thread, I need more spare time :(:
Reading: Looking to my side I find I have 6 unread New Scientists to try and polish off, still at least I have read this weeks so the rot may have finally halted in my expanding back list

Listening to: Quite enjoyed Massive Attacks latest album Heligoland, otherwise the random play is still my friend.

Watching: We are gradually making our way through old Supernatural episodes, going through Season 2 at the moment.

As a video game player I should probably put in an honourable mention for Bioshock 2 which I am quite enjoying, another well designed and filled out story.

aleandhearty
25-02-2010, 12:25
I live in dread of this thread, I need more spare time :(

You probably need more sleep before anything else! :)

Conrad
11-03-2010, 11:47
Reading: Well I have been scrabbling my way through old New Scientist, so the pile is down to 3 to read, I may actually be reading something other than science articles next week.

Listening: All About Eve and K's Choice, some softer rock for the moment.

Watching: Much as I hate to admit it, I am kind of excited by the F1 at the weekend. I turned into a massive hater of F1 when it felt like the FIA had more to do with who won the race than the driver. With Schummy coming back and it does seem like the rule changes are tightening the pack I am kind of looking forward to seeing how it goes. Never know the no refueling rule may make for some on-track overtaking as well. Other than that we are still going through the old Supernatural episodes to keep my geek credentials up.

Honourable game of the week mention goes to Beautiful Katamari.

ETA
11-03-2010, 13:03
Reading: Also New Scientist backnumbers (I will reach 9 Jan 10 this week), plus Gregory David Roberts's "Shantaram" on the plane/airport lounge.

Listening to: The Enid's entire discography. They're in some kind of dispute with their record company and have put everything on their website - for free!

Watching: "Wild Hogs" - I've had the DVD for 2 months now and still haven't got around to seeing it.

Drinking: Some Summer Lightning and whatever guests they have in my local (when I escape from Kent) plus there's a bottle of CNdeP waiting for me at home.

Conrad
11-03-2010, 14:42
Reading: Also New Scientist backnumbers (I will reach 9 Jan 10 this week),
That is one of the 3 in my pile, I tend to read the most recent one first so that I am up to date on the news. I fell behind when they didn't deliver them for a week due to the snow :)

RogerB
11-03-2010, 14:44
Listening to: The Enid's entire discography. They're in some kind of dispute with their record company and have put everything on their website - for free!

I am a huge fan of the Enid - seen them several times since the late 70's and even went to a couple of their infamous weekend parties when they were based in Clare. I've met Robert John Godfrey a few times and he is quite an eccentric character (he also cooks a mean chilli). Will be at their Union Chapel gig next month.

HTM69
11-03-2010, 15:07
Reading: Not a right lot, other than this months Uncut magazine - great feature and interviews with Mick and Keith about the forthcoming Exile On Main Street release(s).

Listening: Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. Big rock n' roll fan and the recently deceased Mick Green was a master with the Telecaster. Lady GaGa has been on rotation on the 'ol i-Pod.

Watching Series 9 of Dad's Army

Oggwyn Trench
11-03-2010, 18:13
Reading: Not a right lot, other than this months Uncut magazine - great feature and interviews with Mick and Keith about the forthcoming Exile On Main Street release(s).

Listening: Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. Big rock n' roll fan and the recently deceased Mick Green was a master with the Telecaster. Lady GaGa has been on rotation on the 'ol i-Pod.

Watching Series 9 of Dad's Army

Being a big Keith fan you should get this months Classic Rock ,on the free CD theres a track by The Dirty Strangers with Keith Richards on Piano !

Maldenman
11-03-2010, 22:05
Reading The Edge of the Orison by Iain Sinclair. An emotional yet funny tale of someone fleeing from an asylum in the 1840's and walking home, sadly to find his life love was dead.

Also, "Back to the Local", by Maurice Gorham. A fascinating anecdotal tour of post war pubs.....cheers RR

Listening Blues stuff, mainly by Buddy Guy, superb. Early Mick Fleetwood stuff too.

Watching Just finished counselling my lad, Juventus v Fulham!

Going to see Not a cinema/theatre type, don't watch telly much. Probably the inside of my next chosen pub. Hope to resume my Thames walk this weekend if its dry, so somewhere in Reading and Pangbourne.

Strongers
11-03-2010, 22:33
Reading: the rise and fall of the British empire, Lawrence James.

Watching: just finished watching premier league darts and I'll be doing the same next Thurdsay.

Going to see: Phoenix at Alexandra Palace then a crawl of Finsbury Park against my better judgement.

Listening: same old sh#t from the ankle grabbers.

aleandhearty
21-05-2010, 18:06
It's been a while, so I thought I'd give this a bump.

Reading: Received two belated birthday presents at the w/e, so starting those: 'The Elegance of The Hedgehog' by Muriel Barbery and Lynne Truss' 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'.

Listening: The warm weather always makes me think of more exotic climes, so I'll be giving Amadou & Mariam, Bebel Gilberto and Orchestra Baobab some hammer. At the mo 'Exile On Main Street' is in the CD player, to get me in the mood for Sunday.

Watching: The Imagine special on Sunday night 'The Stones in Exile'. I think I've a pretty good idea where to find HTM69 at 10.25 p.m.

Oggwyn Trench
21-05-2010, 19:20
Must be something about the Stones and nice weather , Let it Bleed is my drive to work listening this week .
Stuff i have been watching , Oil City Confidential , the Dr Feelgood biopic , one of the best live bands ever .
Outnumbered , brilliantly funny
Trying to persuade the Mrs to let me go and see the UK Subs at the Duke of York , Oakengates ...... the day before we go on holiday , dont think she trusts me :whistle:

aleandhearty
21-05-2010, 20:30
Trying to persuade the Mrs to let me go and see the UK Subs

I thought Charlie Harper looked knackered when I saw them back in the seventies (Eric's, Liverpool. I think). God knows what he looks like now.

Oggwyn Trench
21-05-2010, 22:47
I thought Charlie Harper looked knackered when I saw them back in the seventies (Eric's, Liverpool. I think). God knows what he looks like now.

Well lived in i think describes him , 65 and still gigging most nights , theres an interview with him in this months Classic Rock , apparently he`s good mates with the Stones from way back when they first started

rpadam
21-05-2010, 23:03
Must be something about the Stones and nice weather , Let it Bleed is my drive to work listening this week .
Stuff i have been watching , Oil City Confidential , the Dr Feelgood biopic , one of the best live bands ever .
Outnumbered , brilliantly funny
Trying to persuade the Mrs to let me go and see the UK Subs at the Duke of York , Oakengates ...... the day before we go on holiday , dont think she trusts me :whistle:
"Featuring the legendary original Feelgood guitarist Wilko Johnson & Band + special guest BBC Radio 2's Mark Radcliffe & The Big Figures, Oil City Confidential live is a twin barrelled shot gun of a show dedicated not only to the high octane explosive garage blues of early Dr Feelgood but also to some of the bands, music and musicians that inspired them at the time."
3 Nov Pontardawe Arts Centre
4 Nov O2 Academy, Islington
5 Nov Phoenix, Exeter
6 Nov Acorn Arts Centre
10 Nov Brighton Komedia
11 Nov Pacific Road Arts Centre, Merseyside
12 Nov Robin 2, Bilston
13 Nov Holmfirth, Picturedrome
14 Nov Rescue Rooms, Nottingham
19 Nov O2 ABC Glasgow
20 Nov Academy, Manchester
21 Nov The Sage, Gateshead

Oggwyn Trench
21-05-2010, 23:19
"Featuring the legendary original Feelgood guitarist Wilko Johnson & Band + special guest BBC Radio 2's Mark Radcliffe & The Big Figures, Oil City Confidential live is a twin barrelled shot gun of a show dedicated not only to the high octane explosive garage blues of early Dr Feelgood but also to some of the bands, music and musicians that inspired them at the time."
3 Nov Pontardawe Arts Centre
4 Nov O2 Academy, Islington
5 Nov Phoenix, Exeter
6 Nov Acorn Arts Centre
10 Nov Brighton Komedia
11 Nov Pacific Road Arts Centre, Merseyside
12 Nov Robin 2, Bilston
13 Nov Holmfirth, Picturedrome
14 Nov Rescue Rooms, Nottingham
19 Nov O2 ABC Glasgow
20 Nov Academy, Manchester
21 Nov The Sage, Gateshead

Wilko is one of my heroes , Bilston is not that far away but a weekend in Manchester is tempting , pubs , beer and Dr Feelgood(sort of) happy days

aleandhearty
21-05-2010, 23:41
Wilko is one of my heroes , Bilston is not that far away but a weekend in Manchester is tempting , pubs , beer and Dr Feelgood(sort of) happy days

I loved Dr Feelgood, but never had the pleasure. Managed to see Wilko and the Solid Senders though. The mention of Holmfirth Picturedome in the tour dates seems like kismet. A gig and a few beers in The Nook'll do for me.

RogerB
22-05-2010, 08:26
I loved Dr Feelgood, but never had the pleasure.

Well they played The Wall in Leeds last night! They are always on the road so you should be able to tick them off at some point without too much hassle. They haven't been the same since Lee Brilleaux died but are still worthy of a night out.

aleandhearty
23-05-2010, 13:45
Well they played The Wall in Leeds last night! They are always on the road so you should be able to tick them off at some point without too much hassle. They haven't been the same since Lee Brilleaux died but are still worthy of a night out.

I'd honestly no idea., But as I hinted on the 'you tube' thread, I can't imagine them without Lee Brilleaux. Probably, would have gone though, out of curiosity, if I'd known.

Evil Gazebo
03-06-2010, 12:50
Currently

Reading Mao: The Unknown Story by Jung Chang and Jon Halliday. An astonishing reappraisal of Mao’s rise to power and brutal reign over China. About to start Tokyo Year Zero by David Peace.

Listening The new Fall album Your Future Our Clutter. Mark E Smith remains defiantly at the top of his game after over 30 years and God knows how many albums.

Watching Recently saw Chris Morris’ directorial debut Four Lions at the cinema. Somehow manages to pull off the trick of making a film about suicide bombers both funny and poignant. At home, ploughing through series 2 of The Wire. I’m a relatively recent convert to this, and if you haven’t already seen it I cannot recommend it highly enough. Simply the best TV programme ever made.

RogerB
04-06-2010, 09:51
READING - John Otway - I Did It Otway (Regrets, I've had a few)!

WATCHING - Watched Letters From Iwo Jima last night.

LISTENING - Music Fusion / Metal Fusion - a couple of CDs I picked up at a local gig last week featuring the best of the local indie & rock acts that have been playing our local pubs - £5 for the 2 CDs - 36 tracks and sold in aid of Child leukemia. Good stuff.

GIGGING - Busy week coming up - Glenn Tilbrook - Anchor & Hope, Charlton (Tue), Crowded House - Hammy Apollo (Wed), Supergrass - Brixton Academy (Thur).

BEERING - Dartford Beer Festival tonight + organised trip to the Whitstable Brewery tomorrow.

Then off to the wilds of Aberdeenshire on Friday.

Conrad
04-06-2010, 12:06
Watching ..... At home, ploughing through series 2 of The Wire. I’m a relatively recent convert to this, and if you haven’t already seen it I cannot recommend it highly enough. Simply the best TV programme ever made.
Took me a while to get sucked into it, but it really is something else, and one of those rare shows that manages a good ending.

aleandhearty
06-06-2010, 15:21
Reading About to start Tokyo Year Zero by David Peace.
Watching At home, ploughing through series 2 of The Wire. I’m a relatively recent convert to this, and if you haven’t already seen it I cannot recommend it highly enough. Simply the best TV programme ever made.

Took me a while to get sucked into it, but it really is something else, and one of those rare shows that manages a good ending.

EG, I'd be interested to hear what you make of TYZ. I finished The Red Riding Quartet not so long ago and found it one of the most powerful things I've ever read.

Regarding The Wire being the best TV programme ever, I think a lot of fans of The Sopranos would have something to say about that. It would certainly get my vote to date. I watched the odd bit of The Wire, but found it hard going. However, I have been told you need to persevere for a while. I'll have to borrow my sister's box set.

Conrad
08-06-2010, 17:58
Having had a few mentions of The Wire I was wondering if anyone else had seen the excellent Breaking Bad (http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/tvandradioblog/2009/aug/21/breaking-bad)?

aleandhearty
08-06-2010, 18:33
Having had a few mentions of The Wire I was wondering if anyone else had seen the excellent Breaking Bad (http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/tvandradioblog/2009/aug/21/breaking-bad)?

Well no-one can call that an unoriginal premise! Sounds fantastic. I love the Coen brothers stuff, so it should be right up my street. Might even order the DVDs 'blind'. Thanks for the heads up.

Conrad
08-06-2010, 18:44
The first series is a tenner (http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/9644706/Breaking-Bad-Season-1/Product.html) at play at the moment, it is only 7 episodes long. Only thing that may bother some is that the pacing can feel very slow during an episode, they like to linger and make the most of things, but if you like Coen brothers that wont be a burden at all.

As a chemist graduate I have long wondered why we didn't all turn into drug manufacturers, it seemed like easy money compared to real work, so when this series came along it played into one of my delusions quite well, very funny though and constantly building nicely.

RogerB
09-06-2010, 09:19
Glenn Tilbrook - Anchor & Hope, Charlton (Tue).

Turned out to be a full Squeeze band warm up prior to the Isle Of Wight Festival - amazing night!!!!!

aleandhearty
10-06-2010, 19:31
Turned out to be a full Squeeze band warm up prior to the Isle Of Wight Festival - amazing night!!!!!

I'm not jealous, honest! What a back catalogue they've got.

aleandhearty
09-02-2011, 14:23
Thought I'd give this one a bump as it's been a while. Be nice to see what makes newer members tick.

Reading:
Cellarmanship by Patrick O'Neill. Really trying to improve my knowledge here.
Yorkshire's Real Heritage Pubs, ed. David Gamston. Very few surprises, but the background info is great.
Black Echo by Michael Connelly. I'm a great fan of the Harry Bosch novels.

Listening:
Two fantastic chill-out albums:

Nightmares on Wax: Smokers Delight.
Thievery Corporation: The Richest Man in Babylon.

Watching:

Human Planet. Both humbling and amazing.
Six Nations Rugby. My annual sporting highlight. Six weeks of bliss.
Fast and Loose. As with all improv shows it's patchy, but when it's good....

hondo
10-02-2011, 07:38
Reading
Bobby Johnstone - The passing of an age. The biography of the late Hibernian, Manchester City and Oldham Athletic football player. :pray::notworthy:

Listening
Listening to radio station absolute 80s (takes me back):bemerry:

Watching
Antiques road trip (I'm getting old):twigs:

RogerB
10-02-2011, 09:39
Currently reading Back To The Local (London pub life in the 1930's/40's) and next up is the Book Of Dartford (a history of my local town) and Mass Observation; The Pub and the People - a sort of companion to Back to the Local. :cheers:

Had a day listening to Gary Moore on the ipod this week as a kind of tribute. :notworthy:

Watching Bound For Glory (a Woody Guthrie biopic) and continuing to work my through my 100 Sci Fi Movies box set - Hercules Verses the Moon Men being the lastest offering. Wouldn't recommend it. :whistle:

Have been going to see Spurs and Dartford (with mixed results) + several gigs. January is normally pretty quiet music wise but already seen Big Country, Manic Street Preachers, the Cult and 5 (yes, 5!) Glenn Tilbrook free gigs down the Anchor & Hope (with another 2 lined up next week and the week after) + a few other local bands. :)

Oh and a few beer trips to Bath, Putney, Crawley, Bishops Stortford, Ashford/Stanwell/Staines, Greenwich and the Nicholsons Pool of London pub crawl.

Apart from that, things are a bit quiet.

Pubsignman
10-02-2011, 11:04
January is normally pretty quiet music wise but already seen Big Country, Manic Street Preachers, the Cult and 5 (yes, 5!) Glenn Tilbrook free gigs down the Anchor & Hope (with another 2 lined up next week and the week after) + a few other local bands. :)

I saw the Manics at the Brixton Academy last month (Friday 21st) - thought they were excellent and picked a great set-list. Were you there?

As for this thread:

Reading
Just finished 'The Castle in the Forest' by Norman Mailer and I'm about to start 'One Day' by David Nicholls, as recommended to me by my Mum of all people!!

Listening
It's Blitz by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and ODD BLOOD by Yeasayer have been on fairly heavy rotation recently. My next gig will be Primal Scream, also at the Brixton Academy - they'll be playing Screamadelica in full (as seems to be the vogue these days), so I expect I'll be giving that a few plays in the near future.

Watching
Not seen much TV since the house move, but I've made a bit of an effort to catch 'How TV Ruined Your Life' - the latest offering from the excellent Charlie Brooker.

Football
Trips to Walsall (new ground for me and a mini crawl planned as well) and Dagenham to look forward to this month. An eagerly anticipated South Coast derby fixture against Southampton in early March promises much joy but will no doubt end in misery.

Beer
After the trip to Walsall there is a Cumbrian Beer Festival at the Cricketers in Addiscombe to look forward to and I might also pop along to the Grape and Grain's festival in Crystal Palace. I'm still steadily ticking off all of Croydon's pubs, but it's a fairly slow and at times, unrewarding process (lots of half pints of John Smiths!). A little further in the future there is something called the Carshalton Ale Trail, which I might have a go at - http://www.carshaltonaletrail.co.uk/

Chris87
10-02-2011, 11:16
I'm about to start 'One Day' by David Nicholls, as recommended to me by my Mum of all people!!

I got that for my Mum for xmas and she really liked it. I'm seeing loads of people reading it on the tube too, along with those godawful Stieg Larsson books. They're the new 'dan brown'...

Reading - Freefall by Joe Stiglitz, an economics professor at Columbia in the states - basically about how the economic crisis came about and how the response by both Bush and Obama administrations has been fatally flawed. Heavy going but interesting.

Watching - Not alot apart from Charlie Brooker's new one (as mentioned above) and, when the season starts this weekend, a bit of rugby league.

Listening - I went to see an aussie electro duo called 'Monarchy' on Monday night in Camden, so i'm discovering bits and bobs of their stuff. On the 21st I am very excited because Jamie from the XX is releasing a remix album of Gil-Scott Heron songs - the ones I've heard so far are absolutely fantastic.

Beer - I'm off to the Battersea Beer Festival tonight with a couple of pals, and aside from that weekends involve ticking off one or two GBG entries here and there.

RogerB
10-02-2011, 11:33
I saw the Manics at the Brixton Academy last month (Friday 21st) - thought they were excellent and picked a great set-list. Were you there?

I went on the Saturday (22nd). Damned good it was too.

oldboots
10-02-2011, 11:34
I'm re-reading Martyn Cornell's Amber, Gold and Black, The story of Britain's Great Beers - a history of British beer styles, in hardback this time as the PDF version was a bit of a strain. After that probably some railway porn.

I've planned a Prisoner weekend for a while - watching the lot back to back but that will have to wait till next weekend or beyond, the new sci-fi Outcasts looks like it might be fun and the wicked Shameless is a bit of escapism otherwise I'm not bothered.

Still trying to digitize my old analogue music collection so that will be quite a mix depending what I pick up next.

This weekend's beer trip is still undecided it might be York or Leeds as Saturday's weather forecast is good. Later on this year another West Midlands trip ending in Shrewsbury for a couple of days is on the cards.

ROBCamra
10-02-2011, 11:38
Reading - just finished "I shall wear midnight" by Terry Pratchett and now on to "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King.

Listening - Still enjoying Plan B - The defamation of Strickland Banks interspaced with Tom Petty - Anthology - through the years after watching a BBC4 documentary on him a couple of weeks ago.

Watching - Attenboroughs Madagascar was pretty good last night as is Human Planet.

Beer - Fleetwood Beer Festival this weekend followed by Derby BF in a couple of weeks. Sadly the Fleetwood one clashes with Harrogate BF. We went to both last year.

Conrad
10-02-2011, 13:34
Reading - The Shadow of Saganami (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-Saganami-DAVID-WEBER/dp/1416509291/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297344731&sr=8-1) by David Weber, I like my space opera.

Listening - With hondo on this one Absolute 80's

Watching - A couple to catch up on, not sure if any of them are any good though Outcasts as oldboots mentions (and don't watch the recent American Prisoner remake) and the new series of Being Human (I'm sure it will still be good even if it isn't filmed in Bristol now.

Oggwyn Trench
10-02-2011, 19:00
Listening - a strange mixture of Joy Division(Heart and Soul , Boxset) Simon and Garfunkel (Collection , Boxset) and a couple of compilations , sixties garage (MC5 , Electric Prunes etc) and Guitarmegedan (Dragonforce , Hippies on the Hill etc) waitinf for the new Joanne Shaw Taylor album

Reading - The Complete Guitarist , The Greek Myths , just finished Catch 22 by Joseph Heller , started it in the summer , great book but like a lot of American Novels is very wordy :rolleyes: , got Pratchetts new one to start soon

gillhalfpint
10-02-2011, 22:27
What's Pratchett's new book called. My Ray reads all his over and over...and over....

Blackthorn
11-02-2011, 09:30
As i`m a bit of a cook i have got a few cook books , just been glancing through one (Larousse Gastronomique , a cooking encyclopedia) and have just read how to skin and joint a frog :sick:

That's a great book, although not really one to sit down and read from cover to cover. For those not familiar with it, it's a fairly large format, roughly A4, and runs to almost 1,200 pages. It covers every food imagineable as well as anything vaguely related to food or drink. Hence there is an entry on the "pub" which makes interesting reading, being written from a French (and somewhat dated) perspective.

As much as I'd like to reproduce it here, I'd probably be breaking all sorts of copyright laws and getting Conrad in to touble. Suffice to say that it outlines the different rooms to be found in a pub, such as the public bar which is apparently the most crowded; the strictly controlled opening hours and the fact that you have to order your drinks at the bar rather than getting table service. And those that offer food do poached haddock and cold chicken!

ROBCamra
11-02-2011, 12:15
What's Pratchett's new book called. My Ray reads all his over and over...and over....

The latest hardback is called I Shall Wear Midnight.

Soup Dragon
11-02-2011, 12:35
Reading - Medieval Pilgrimage

Watching - 2nd series of the 70s drama Wings on dvd

Pubs, finishing Stafford town centre tomorrow, i hope, finished Rowley Regis last night - i did the Bull's Head, Delboy20!

Evil Gazebo
11-02-2011, 13:09
Reading: Heliopolis by James Scudamore, Alice in Numberland by Alex Bellos.

Listening: Mainly Captain Beefheart over the last few weeks. The word genius is bandied about far too often in modern music, Don Van Vliet was one of the very few the word actually applied to. RIP Captain.

Watching: Recently finished the fifth and final series of The Wire. Now moved onto Mad Men. Also enjoying Charlie Brooker’s How TV Ruined Your Life on BBC2.

Bucking Fastard
11-02-2011, 15:57
Reading Ranulph Fiennes autobiography " Mad,Bad and Dangerous to Know"

Listening to My last itunes download was " Crime of the Century" by Supertramp.This band was deeply unfashionable in the punk era but I can now listen and enjoy free of any guilt .Concept album with an interesting subject matter....

Going to see With the Palace away at Cov,I will see my youngest son in a school match,which can often prove more entertaining than the fare at Selhurst.

RogerB
11-02-2011, 16:03
My last itunes download was " Crime of the Century" by Supertramp.This band was deeply unfashionable in the punk era but I can now listen and enjoy free of any guilt .Concept album with an interesting subject matter....

Bloody Well Right! A much mocked band but this was undeniably a true gem from beginning to end. One of my fave all time albums.

Strongers
12-02-2011, 00:15
Reading - Tilly the Turtle

Listening - Never stop

Watching - My life disappear before my eyes.

Drinking - Heavily

Going to see - A doctor.

--------------------

WOW - I was in a good mood last night!!!

Conrad
14-02-2011, 14:05
A great 100th post on this thread there Strongers :)

Also to all of you referencing how great "TV ruined my life" is, I curse you. It has now ruined my life :drinkup: