PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 31 Jan 2010)

Conrad
25-01-2010, 11:24
Ok archived the w/e 17 Jan.

And starting a new week, MMMMMMmmmmmm new beers await :drinkup:

Millay: Caledonian Auld Acquaintance (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5825#post5825)
Oggwyn Trench: Thwaites Lancaster Bomber (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5832#post5832)
Conrad: Badger Golden Champion (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5840#post5840)
trainman: Bishops Farewell, Oakham Brewery (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5844#post5844)
Maldenman: Slater's Top Totty (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5854#post5854)
ROBCamra: Voluptuous Vicky (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5867#post5867)
aleandhearty: Beartown's Bearskinful (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5906#post5906)
runningdog: Cotleigh Buzzard (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5915#post5915)
Dave M: Bath Gem (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5940#post5940)
RogerB: Rebellion, Frozen Assets (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5952#post5952)
oldboots: Triple fff Alton's Pride (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5966#post5966)
HTM69: Batemans Miss Scotland (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5967#post5967)
Hopwas: Jack Frost (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?894-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-31-Jan-2010%29&p=5988#post5988)

Soup Dragon
25-01-2010, 20:29
Well - so far Palmer's Poison is the best i had in Rugeley - everything else was Banks's Bitter, MILD (great, but some variety would be nice) and a couple of pubs in Brereton with Cocker-Hoop and Marston's Single Malt. Far better than Solihull, sadly it was just full of non-entity places - reviews on their way

RogerB
25-01-2010, 21:13
Popped into the Robin Hood & Little John in Bexleyheath (local CAMRA pub of the Year for the last 10 years - well there's not a great deal of competition) on the premise there was going to be a Burns Night bash. In the end there was a distinct lack of bagpipes, kilts and Tam O'Shanters so left after an OK pint of Cairngorm Scottish Bard, discounted to £1.95 for the evening. Always 'Spoons to fall back on with their Haggis, Neeps, Tatties & a pint deal. Nope! Sold out of Haggis so ended up with Burger and pint of TSA Winter Sporran which was better than the Scottish Bard. Bit of a disappointing evening but at least I've got some beers under my belt for the week. Spurs v Fulham tomorrow - bog all to drink there so probably another 'Spoons night pre-match. Hoppy will be pleased.

Millay
25-01-2010, 21:29
Jennings Snecklifter is this week's early front runner :glass:

runningdog
25-01-2010, 22:27
This week has started better than last finished. A couple of top-class Ringwood Porter, more Young's 'Winter Warmer and as a little bonus, Auld Aquaintance. All in one day..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Millay
26-01-2010, 15:57
As it is Australia Day today I am going to nominate my BotW so far as Fosters. If I find anything with a little more taste before the end of the week I may of course change this nomination :D:D

Conrad
26-01-2010, 16:06
Tchhhhhhhhh, and miss out on the XXXX? Besides, if you are using Australia as your theme, maybe you should support something Scottish?

aleandhearty
26-01-2010, 18:24
If I find anything with a little more taste before the end of the week I may of course change this nomination :D:D
:D I guess the real challenge would be to find something with less taste.

RogerB
26-01-2010, 22:25
I don't know about Beer of the Week but I had a pint of Brentwood IPA before the Spurs game tonight and it was more like Dishwater of the Week.

Conrad
26-01-2010, 23:03
I don't know about Beer of the Week but I had a pint of Brentwood IPA before the Spurs game tonight and it was more like Dishwater of the Week.
At least in your case it was in a glass, we had to watch it on the pitch!

trainman
27-01-2010, 06:22
it was more like Dishwater of the Week.
dishwater/ditchwater... I'm getting a strong sense of Déjà vu here

RogerB
27-01-2010, 07:58
At least in your case it was in a glass, we had to watch it on the pitch!

I assume any mentions of 0-6 will be immediaqtely be deleted. :whistle:

ROBCamra
27-01-2010, 08:50
Had a couple of pints of Wold Top Voluptuous Vicky last night.

She's well out in front, at least she is on the pump clip. :p

Conrad
27-01-2010, 09:14
I assume any mentions of 0-6 will be immediaqtely be deleted. :whistle:
I think I can be a big enough man to let it by.

Our keeper certainly was :(.

aleandhearty
27-01-2010, 11:33
I think I can be a big enough man to let it by.Our keeper certainly was :(.

:D I think I'd have reached for a bottle of scotch and my Nick Cave albums, after that result.

Conrad
27-01-2010, 13:06
I was seriously tempted to leave at half time, then they scored again in the first minute of the second half and I got a sense of humour and settled back to see how much worse it could get. I bet the club wishes it had chosen a different week to give out free programs, the crowd had far too much ammunition.

Millay
30-01-2010, 19:23
As it is Australia Day today I am going to nominate my BotW so far as Fosters. If I find anything with a little more taste before the end of the week I may of course change this nomination :D:D

I have, unsurprisingly, changed my mind, but as this week also included Burns Night my BotW is going to be Caledonian Auld Acquaintance. A nice dark coloured beer with that hint of sweet caramel that most Cally beers have.:drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
30-01-2010, 21:37
Mine will have to be Twaites Lancaster Bomber this week , not bad .
To be honest i was planning a night in Oakengates , the Crown , Station , Alexandria and Compases have about 25 real ales between them , but i ended up in Trench drinking keg mild (Bankss only £1 60 a pint , thats my excuse) watching an ok band and plenty of eye candy :whistle:

Conrad
30-01-2010, 23:08
I think mine for this week is going to have to be the Badger Golden Champion (http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/beers/badgerales/goldenchampion.asp), they have been doing it at the local Somerfield and it goes quite nicely with my evening meal.

trainman
31-01-2010, 07:30
In a quiet week, and having expunged all memory of Wed nt from my mind, I'll have to go for Bishops Farewell from the outstanding Oakham brewery - sampled until it ran out last night in the Moon on the Mall (yes Hoppy, tm in a spoons, on a Saturday!), a little dear for jdw at £2.40, but they took a few vouchers off us...

Also of note was Castle Rock's Harvest Pale - the bottled version is 4.3%, as opposed to 3.8% on draught. I look forward to a few more from their stable after a brewery tour & 'champions' fest (CanalHouse) next week.

Maldenman
31-01-2010, 11:03
Mine was probably Slater's Top Totty, a superb hoppy golden beer, perhaps more suited to summer than the current cold spell but very good nevertheless..........and it was also in a 'spoons emporium. You do have to use those vouchers though, 50p off coming in at £1.55 a pint. Marvellous.

ROBCamra
31-01-2010, 11:51
In a quiet week, and having expunged all memory of Wed nt from my mind, I'll have to go for Bishops Farewell from the outstanding Oakham brewery - sampled until it ran out last night in the Moon on the Mall (yes Hoppy, tm in a spoons, on a Saturday!), a little dear for jdw at £2.40, but they took a few vouchers off us...

Also of note was Castle Rock's Harvest Pale - the bottled version is 4.3%, as opposed to 3.8% on draught. I look forward to a few more from their stable after a brewery tour & 'champions' fest (CanalHouse) next week.

I had a couple of pints of Bishops Farewell myself last night in The Regal Moon and very good it was too. Voluptuous Vicky still wins this week though.

hopwas
31-01-2010, 15:31
(yes Hoppy, tm in a spoons, on a Saturday!)

Good for you! :cheers::cheers::cheers: Thats where PROPER real ales are! Affordable and it wont eat your well deserved monies pal.

Oh Last Wed, Fortyniner was on sale for 99p in Silk Kite.. :eek::notworthy: I had to buy it and ended up with 5 pints.. :whistle: Not suprising, it ran out bfeore the end of the day!

aleandhearty
31-01-2010, 16:08
Unless I can nip to the pub sometime this evening (unlikely) I think my BOTW is going to be Beartown's 'Bearskinful'. As a confirmed hophead I'm quite surprised to be nominating such a malty beer. However, after a few indifferent ales, it was wonderfully fresh and aromatic by comparison.

Wittenden
31-01-2010, 16:40
A fairly uneventful week:the only pub visit was to the Flier in Smarden where I had acouple of pints of Sheps Masterbrew-unfashionable but satisfyingly marmaladey. On the bottled front, a welcome return of Westerham's Freedom Ale, with lashings of fairtrade demarara. Nothing dark, I'm afraid.

runningdog
31-01-2010, 17:45
A hell of a sight better week than last. Top? Cotleigh Buzzard, always one of my favourites. A new barrel had somewhat less in when I left than when I got there. Odd thing about Buzzard, I never think of it when asked for a list of my favourite beers, yet when it's on I can't get enough of it. Then there was Salopian's Prohibition, I was enjoying that, then they put the Buzzard on..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Dave M
31-01-2010, 22:24
Well I was in danger of having to agree with Conrad on the Badger Golden Champion, but agreeing with him just isn't my style ;)

Trouble is that I wasn't that fond of the Moonraker, even if it did warm me up nicely for my cold journey home last night.

So to solve my issues I nipped up my local shop earlier and managed to nab the last two Bath Gems off the shelf, so that gets my nod for the week! :drinkup:

Soup Dragon
31-01-2010, 22:40
How did you like your French beer, Hoppy - what was it called, Le Carling?

hopwas
31-01-2010, 22:45
How did you like your French beer, Hoppy - what was it called, Le Carling?

Beats me.. I never tasted some Frenchy Beer :confused:

Best leave it to some Frenchies over there in Calais.. :whistle: where they are experts

Soup Dragon
31-01-2010, 22:48
oh, by the way, best beer so far this week - Holden's Special, in the Great Western, Wolvo - quality:cheers:

RogerB
31-01-2010, 22:55
I have had one hell of a long session today - I think we have clocked up about 15/16 pints since midday but my BOTW was found yesterday at the Village Inn at Rayners Lane - Rebellion, Frozen Assets.

hopwas
31-01-2010, 22:59
oh, by the way, best beer so far this week - Holden's Special, in the Great Western, Wolvo - quality:cheers:

Great Western.. now thats quality! Havent been there since 2005...

trainman
01-02-2010, 07:25
I have had one hell of a long session today - I think we have clocked up about 15/16 pints since midday
Impressive at any time, but for a Sunday afternoon/eve that's quality! I rarely use emoticons, but that effort is worthy of a :notworthy:

RogerB
01-02-2010, 09:37
Impressive at any time, but for a Sunday afternoon/eve that's quality! I rarely use emoticons, but that effort is worthy of a :notworthy:

I've tried to do a count up - our Sidcup stint consisted of the following - Pint of Old Cocky in the Tailors Chalk for starters (another new 'Spoons to me Hoppy!). We then went to an afternoon gig at the Working Mans Club - we were there for 2 and a half hours so can safely say we knocked back 6 pints of Youngs Ordinary (at £2 a pint). Caught the end of the first half of Arse v Moan U in the Portrait (Pint of Hobgoblin). Tried to get the second half in the Alma but it was shut so threw caution to the wind and got the second half in at the Metro Bar (the one where the young lad from Harry Potter was stabbed to death). Keg Courage Best only so strung one pint over the entire second half. 5 minute walk to Ye Old Black Horse (Pint of Broadside) before getting bus to Dartford. A pint of Weltons ??? in the Wat Tyler before ending up at the Ivy Leaf for weekly quiz at 9pm. Probably 5 pints of Doom Bar making it in the region of 16 pints over the course of the afternoon / evening. And we won the quiz! 45 minutes late for work this morning though. :whistle:

oldboots
01-02-2010, 10:02
I'm also impressed by Roger's stamina not to mention his deep pockets :D

To my Beer of the Week, I thought it might be Dark Star Expresso but Triple fff Alton's Pride was superior to anything else this week (admittedly that's mainly Black Sheep Bitter). I can only agree with its GBG description

"This is an excellent, clean tasting, golden brown session beer, full bodied for its strength with a glorious aroma of floral hops. An initally malty flavour fades as citrus notes and hoppiness take over, leading to a lasting hoppy, bitter finish."

For once the description is actually like the beer I had.

HTM69
01-02-2010, 10:19
Bloooody hell, Roger! - and I thought my Rochester session on Saturday was a killer.

My BOTW goes to: Batemans Miss Scotland - a nice, rich porter at around 4.1%

aleandhearty
01-02-2010, 10:56
I have had one hell of a long session today - I think we have clocked up about 15/16 pints since midday

I'm a big guy, but I don't think I could have downed 15/16 pints and got up for work the next day. Respect. You've got to be on fighting form for Thursday Mr B!

runningdog
01-02-2010, 11:23
I'm another whose a touch gobsmacked by Mr B's performance, bluidy amazing! I like to think I've got a head for alcohol, but me bladder is not a patch on that. Perhaps that all to brief dalliance with godhead gave him superhuman powers, yeah:notworthy:to that.:drinkup::drinkup:
Just to say MrB, I enjoyed .......half a mo, I'll be back

RogerB
01-02-2010, 12:18
I should add that I finished off my mate's last half pint of Doom Bar at the end. He's a bit of a lightweight, just 15 and a half for him.

Remember kids, don't try this at home. :rolleyes:

Conrad
01-02-2010, 12:35
I should add that I finished off my mate's last half pint of Doom Bar at the end. He's a bit of a lightweight, just 15 and a half for him.

Remember kids, don't try this at home. :rolleyes:
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME ?!?!??!

I wouldn't try it in a hospital, if they had the stomach pump powered up and ready to insert ;)

hopwas
01-02-2010, 13:36
My BOTW goes to Jack Frost Porter from The Green Man in Harrods. I have searched for its brewery on net but nothing came up. Can anyone know its brewery?

Anyway Jack Frost is a pretty decent winter ale. I can smell bit of liquorice with burnt toffee finish. Shame about price.. £7 per pint.

Conrad
01-02-2010, 13:40
Well at least it made beer of the week, and still cheaper than the Tactical Nuclear Penguin that Ed elected in a recent week.

hopwas
01-02-2010, 13:43
Well at least it made beer of the week, and still cheaper than the Tactical Nuclear Penguin that Ed elected in a recent week.

Oh yeah was it £30 or something..

Conrad
01-02-2010, 13:46
Oh yeah was it £30 or something..
Something like that, one of those you buy just to say you tried it, flash git ;)

hopwas
01-02-2010, 14:06
Something like that, one of those you buy just to say you tried it, flash git ;)

Do I look like him... :whistle:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/urban_dirt/images/2007/07/11/_654874_loadsamoney150.jpg

ROBCamra
01-02-2010, 14:15
My BOTW goes to Jack Frost Porter from The Green Man in Harrods. I have searched for its brewery on net but nothing came up. Can anyone know its brewery?

Anyway Jack Frost is a pretty decent winter ale. I can smell bit of liquorice with burnt toffee finish. Shame about price.. £7 per pint.

Several Breweries do a beer called Jack Frost but as you were in Londinium I suspect it was Fullers seasonal offering.

hopwas
01-02-2010, 14:26
Several Breweries do a beer called Jack Frost but as you were in Londinium I suspect it was Fullers seasonal offering.

I do recognise the clip so you are correct it is Fullers Jack Frost.

Thanks for your help!

hopwas
01-02-2010, 14:27
Go to page 2 for drink menu.. look at its prices in The Green Man.

http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/s7ondemand/brochure/flash_brochure.jsp?company=Harrods&sku=2GreenManMenu&rw=false&el=large&vli=100

ROBCamra
01-02-2010, 14:53

http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/s7ondemand/brochure/flash_brochure.jsp?company=Harrods&sku=2GreenManMenu&rw=false&el=large&vli=100

kinell ! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

oldboots
01-02-2010, 16:28

How much is it that Al Fayed owes the banks? I believe it is enough to be the bank's problem.... not his:rolleyes:

rpadam
01-02-2010, 20:32

Blimey! It was 'only' £4.50 when I visited in August 2008 - that's a 33% increase in less than 18 months (wot wiv dat 'flation 'baht nuffink 'an all).

hopwas
01-02-2010, 20:39
Blimey! It was 'only' £4.50 when I visited in August 2008 - that's a 33% increase in less than 18 months (wot wiv dat 'flation 'baht nuffink 'an all).

You actually been to Green Man?

How stupid of me buying round without looking at price.. :moremad::moremad::moremad: £10.50 for just two drinks..

It would get me 8 pints of real ale in my local JDW...

RogerB
01-02-2010, 21:10
I have never bothered with the place simply because I know it is an absolute rip off but looking at their beer list, I could always pop in, make a few notes and pretend I had a pint of London Pride. It's not as if I don't know what it tastes like (or should taste like)!

rpadam
01-02-2010, 22:10
You actually been to Green Man?
Well, it was the least horrible part of Harrods that I could find while I was waiting...