PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 30th October 2011)

ROBCamra
23-10-2011, 09:41
MJ71: Salopian Labyrinth
Oggwyn Trench: Slaters Western A.P.A
Gann: Nethergate Essex Beast
Thuck Phat: Ilkley Smoked Witch
Bucking Fastard: Magic Rock High Wire
Alesonly: RCH Firey Liz
Wittenden: WharfeBank Tether Gold
an_ecumenical_matter: Arbor Ales Single Hop Stella
oldboots: Oakham White Dwarf
Pubsignman: Magic Rock Rapture
gillhalfpint: Barlows Anastasia
Quinno: Dark Star Meltdown
ROBCamra: Thornbridge Seaforth
RogerB: Buxton SPA

MJ71
29-10-2011, 21:43
I tried Salopian Brewerys new Labyrinth - (a black IPA (!) at 4.5%) in the Montgomerys Tower in Shrewsbury and it was excellent. Salopian beers do seem to have their own distinctive hop profile.

Oggwyn Trench
30-10-2011, 09:40
Had a quiet week on the beer front :(

Empire - Sovereign
Greenfield - Icicle
Kinver - Green Helle Wheatley
Slaters - Western A.P.A

BOTW Slaters - Western A.P.A

Gann
30-10-2011, 11:09
Also very thin week from my side, but did manage to catch a few in Watford yesterday when going for the double header of keeping the 'trouble' happy with a spot of shopping and then watching the Sarries on Sky on the big screen in one of the local Rugby boozers.
And fortunately afterwards the HQ Spoons on the high street came up trumps for BOTW with Nethergate Essex Beast, a tasty way to finish the week at 6.2%.

Thuck Phat
30-10-2011, 12:29
Not a lot of choice this week:
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Oxfordshire Trick or Treat
Ilkley Smoked Witch

As ever the Bishops was outstanding but BOTW was Ilkley Smoked Witch. A drinkable 5% and distinctly........smoky.

an_ecumenical_matter
30-10-2011, 15:40
Stella !!!

Bucking Fastard
30-10-2011, 15:49
A fair selection of beers went down last week ,especially on a Friday night trip to Euston and BOTW was Magic Rock High Wire.

I have noticed a few strong recommendations for Magic Rock brews on this thread and this was my first encounter in The Euston Tap who had the keg version on.It wasn't over carbonated but the chill did impact the first few sips.Once it had warmed up,which doesn't take long in that upstairs room, it provided a fantastic hoppy and citrus taste together with the body of a 5.5% er.It even outshone a dry hopped casked Thornbridge Jaipur IPA,so I can only imagine the cask version of High Wire could be very dangerous indeed. Outstanding.

Alesonly
30-10-2011, 17:42
Only had a few Pints this week Cotleigh Commando Hoofing Ale & RCH Firey Liz. Did not like the Commando Hoofing Ale seemed a bit off.
So I Will go for the RCH Firey Liz as Beer of the Week.

Wittenden
30-10-2011, 18:44
Good start to our week in God's own county:
Timothy Taylor-Golden Best
Yorkshire Heart-Traditional MILD
WharfeBank-Tether Gold
Copper Dragon-Best Bitter
Copper Dragon-Golden Pippin
All excellent with the exception of the Yorkshire Haert, my BOTW being the WharfeBank Tether Gold, a gently tasty golden ale.

an_ecumenical_matter
31-10-2011, 01:06
Stella !!!

I thought this might have erupted in booing and hissing and gnashing of teeth but it was Arbor Ales "Single Hop Stella" that hit the spot at the Bridge Inn and Old Stillage Bristol this week. Nectar.

oldboots
31-10-2011, 08:10
The mighty Oakham for me, Oakham White Dwarf in this case.

Pubsignman
31-10-2011, 10:02
Had a couple of large sessions this week seemingly filled with very average beers.

BOTW by a long way goes to Magic Rock Rapture at Tap East in the soul destroying new Westfield shopping centre in Stratford.

gillhalfpint
31-10-2011, 10:11
Birmingham beer festival dominated my drinking this week, and top of the list was Barlows Anastasia 8% but very quaffable.

Runner up was a suprise to me really but I enjoyed Highgate Walsall Gold 4.2% which was the beer I could have stayed on if I had been drinking it in a pub. The festival this year was extremely good and we had a fantastic 3 days there.

Quinno
31-10-2011, 11:04
Birmingham beer festival dominated my drinking this week, and top of the list was Barlows Anastasia 8% but very quaffable.

Ascot Ales do an Anastasia's Imperial Stout at a similar abv. Wonder whose came first?

Anyways, my BOTW was Dark Star Meltdown at the Nags Head :)

ROBCamra
31-10-2011, 13:31
Unlike some other comments on this weeks thread my choice has been legion.

2 days in Newcastle, 2 days in Edinburgh, 1 day in Durham followed by the SIBA North beer festival and a trip round the N/4 in Manchester.

The number of beers I have had this week is scary. :eek:

Never mind though. :D

Wylam Toon Waal Ale & Tyne Bank Monument in The Town Wall & New Bridge in Newcastle were very good.

Moor Unfined Envy & Unfined Confidence were also good in the Haymarket in Edinburgh.

But BOTW is going to be Thornbridge Seaforth tried in the Port Street Beer House after the SIBA festival.

A 5.9% IPA brewed in the same style as Jaipur, but using diffent hops. Tasty but dangerous. :cheers:

aleandhearty
31-10-2011, 14:42
Some very good beers this week, mostly tasted on my preferred Sunday afternoon mini-crawl of Wakefield's finest (Hop, Harry's Bar, Bull & Fairhouse and Fernandes Tap). Tried this week:

Moorhouse's - Black Cat.
Moorhouse's - Pendle Witches Brew.
Salamander - Dammit I'm Mad.
Daleside - Square Rigger IPA.
Oldershaw - Blonde Volupta.
Tigertops - Black Art.
Great Heck - Final Judgement.
Dark Star - India Pale Ale.
Brown Cow - Captain Oates.
Whitstable - Kentish Reserve.
Fernandes - Any Porter in a Storm.
Fernandes - Hawklord.
Fernandes - Blue Lady.
Fernandes - Malt Shovel MILD.

Honorable mentions for the ever reliable MSM and delicious Dark Star IPA, but BOTW goes to a beautiful dark beer from possibly the Cinderella of the five Wakefield breweries: Tigertops Black Art.

aleandhearty
31-10-2011, 14:57
I can only imagine the cask version of High Wire could be very dangerous indeed.

Absolutely! Several pints of High Wire topped up with a couple of their Dark Arts stout reduced me to a gibbering wreck a few weeks ago.

RogerB
02-11-2011, 11:18
Funny week with quite a few new/different beers but not too many that stood out. The Southampton Arms in Gospel Oak offered the best (as per norm) with the Buxton SPA being the pick for the week.