PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 23rd October 2011)

ROBCamra
18-10-2011, 13:39
:cheers:

Thuck Phat
24-10-2011, 10:29
Some decent ales this week:

Dark Star Winter Meltdown
Fullers Bengal Lancer, London Pride and London Porter
York Scrum Down
TT Landlord
Tring Phantom Monk
Oakham Bishops Farewell

I thoroughly enjoyed the Bengal Lancer, Landlord and London Porter but BOTW goes to Dark Star Winter Meltdown. At 5% this is so full of flavour, cask conditioned with Chinese stem ginger and warming spices according to Dark Star, that it takes a half to get used to. But having got used to it, this one flies down.

gillhalfpint
24-10-2011, 10:54
This week most of our beers were at the Wellington Birmingham beer festival where Rat Golden Rat was impressive.

Saturday we did a coach crawl round some Worcestershire pubs, and Brandy Cask in Pershore had their own Brandy Snapper in brilliant condition, so although we also found an excellent Wye Valley HPA in a pub not in the Good Beer Guide, I am putting my BOTW as Brandy Cask Brandy Snapper 4%.

Bucking Fastard
24-10-2011, 11:09
A decade ago boating down the southern Grand Union used to be a thankless task when it came to finding decent ale,but thankfully with some careful searching the situation is much better these days.Special mention should go to Redemption Red and Bengal Lancer IPA but BOTW from me was Fullers London Porter,an occasional cask product and at 5.4% a great example of the style.Very well kept,along with other ales,in The Sportsman,Croxley Green.:drinkup:

Quinno
24-10-2011, 11:13
Ascot Red IPA at the Blagrave Arms in Reading.

Al 10000
24-10-2011, 15:19
I had a great day out visiting pubs in south Leicestershire on saturday with most beers being very nice.

Everards beacon bitter
Everards Tiger bitter
Everards Equinox
Everards Pitch Black
Marstons Pedigree
Banks's bitter
Bass
Church End What the foxes Hat
Northumberland Bucking fastard

I had to have a drink of Northumberland Bucking Fastard as it must be named after one of our boating reviewers :D

My beer of the week goes to Northumberland Bucking fastard this beer was tried in the Bulls Head in Stoney Stanton.

Bucking Fastard
24-10-2011, 16:13
I had to have a drink of Northumberland Bucking Fastard as it must be named after one of our boating reviewers :D

Fame at last !!

Glad you enjoyed the beer Al,I have always assumed that it would get nominated as BABOTW by one or more of the estimeed reviewers on here ;)

Oggwyn Trench
24-10-2011, 16:57
Decent weekend even if it ended with me drinking Bankss Keg Mild :eek: , only £1 60 a pint made up for it :D

Cotleigh - Golden Seahawk
Ilkley - Stout Mary
Salopian - Shropshire Gold
Thwaites - Crafty Devil
Dark Star - American Pale Ale
Oxfordshire Ales - Game On
Hobsons - Twisted Spire
Rudgate - Surts Special
Theakstons - Infallible
Morton - Scrumage

The Thwaites Crafty Devil is made with cloves and cinnamon so tastes not unpleasantly of curried xmas cake , could only manage one though
BOTW Dark Star - American Pale Ale

Alesonly
24-10-2011, 18:17
Limited good Ales this week but Caledonian Cossack Imperial Russian Stout & Brakespear Tripple closely followed by The Coach House Whiplash were the best three this week.

So Beer Of the week is Caledonian Cossack Imperial Russian Stout Best Ive found so far at the Spoons fest.

aleandhearty
24-10-2011, 20:07
A fairly quiet week, but tons better than the week before, when I only managed canned Kr********g! :eek: Fortunately, the beers I tried, in Mr Foley's, Leeds, were all in excellent nick and so doubly enjoyable:

Thornbridge - Wild Swan.
WharfeBank - Black Tom.
Summer Wine Brewery - Kahuna.
Summer Wine Brewery - Sedona.
Kirkstall - Black Band Porter.

BOTW goes to Wild Swan, beautiful flavour for 3.6%. Can't tell you how good those first few mouthfuls were.

Pubsignman
31-10-2011, 09:58
Bit of a late submission from me.

BOTW goes to Triple fff Ramble Tamble at the Ship of Fools in Croydon. This just about sums up this pub's efforts during the current beer festival insomuch as the best beer I've tried in there is one from the last festival. :rolleyes:

RogerB
02-11-2011, 11:22
Quite a week with the Leytonstone trek and several 'Spoons Fest beers down the hatch. Lots to pick from but the Box Steam Piston Broke was the one that stood out for me. In fact I had it twice, once in the Lord Moon, Whitehall and once in the Paper Moon, Dartford.

trainman
02-11-2011, 13:10
Quite a week with the Leytonstone trek and several 'Spoons Fest beers down the hatch. Lots to pick from but the Box Steam Piston Broke was the one that stood out for me. In fact I had it twice, once in the Lord Moon, Whitehall and once in the Paper Moon, Dartford.

Interesting; I tried that in Croydon's George on Saturday & wasn't at all keen. Maybe it lost something in translation against the other half I matched it with.

RogerB
02-11-2011, 13:36
Interesting; I tried that in Croydon's George on Saturday & wasn't at all keen. Maybe it lost something in translation against the other half I matched it with.

I think my selection had more to do with having so many over the week that I couldn't really remember much about the others!