PDA

View Full Version : Brewing Up A Storm? Maybe!

ROBCamra
12-10-2011, 08:22
In 3 weeks or so there's going to be a Meet The Brewer night at The Baum (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55901/).

Simon (the landlord) and I have been invited to Green Mill Brewery next Thursday (20th) to brew a beer for the occasion.

We have to choose our own hops & malt with Mat & Phil (the brewers) :notworthy: supplying all the actual brewing expertise and us doing the lifting, carrying, shovelling etc.

We're after a 4.2% light, hoppy beer. The kind that usually sells a 9 in about 4 hours in the pub.

In other words something like a Mallinsons or Ossett brew.

We have our own ideas, but has anyone got any ideas/advice or recipes they would like to try brewing themselves?

We've also got an idea for the name, but suggestions, mainly clean, are welcomed.

Looking forward to it!! :cheers::drinkup:

aleandhearty
13-10-2011, 17:23
Simon (the landlord) and I have been invited to Green Mill Brewery next Thursday (20th) to brew a beer for the occasion.

We're after a 4.2% light, hoppy beer. The kind that usually sells a 9 in about 4 hours in the pub.

In other words something like a Mallinsons or Ossett brew.

Wow! Have to say I'm quite envious ROB. Based on current (limited) brewing knowledge, if I was given the opportunity I'd probably go for a 90% lager malt, 10% pale ale malt split and use Citra, Cascade and Nelson Sauvin hops, with some dry hopping.

Regarding the name, if it's pale and hoppy, how about Hop Baum?

Good luck with your brew. Don't suppose the Baum regulars will be backward in coming forward with their opinions!

Brewguru
14-10-2011, 07:40
Wow! Have to say I'm quite envious ROB. Based on current (limited) brewing knowledge, if I was given the opportunity I'd probably go for a 90% lager malt, 10% pale ale malt split and use Citra, Cascade and Nelson Sauvin hops, with some dry hopping.

Regarding the name, if it's pale and hoppy, how about Hop Baum?

Good luck with your brew. Don't suppose the Baum regulars will be backward in coming forward with their opinions!

You'll need some wheat there for head retention, betwenn 5 and 10% of the malt.
Could be quite thin and dry (I know you want pale and hoppy) but I'd use some modified but pale malt to give it a bit of body without too much colour - pale crystal, caramalt, even munich malt.
Hopwise go for any combination of "C" hops from the US, but only in the late boil/ aroma/ dry hop. For the bittering I'd use some British hops such as target, northdown or first gold as I think most "C" hops are unsuitable for this and give a harsh flavour (some like it though).

Just my humble opinion and ignore me if you wish!

Rex_Rattus
14-10-2011, 10:03
Hi ROB - thanks for giving me the heads up on this when we were in The Fringe a couple of weeks ago. It sounds like great fun - but I'll leave it to others who know what they are talking about to give the benefit of their technical knowledge.

Mention of Green Mill Brewery reminds me of the Green Mill bar in Chicago. This was a favourite haunt of Al Capone and his henchmen, and is one to be added to your list. Obviously you'll be provided with an extensive checklist when the time comes, so do keep in touch on that.

hondo
14-10-2011, 11:27
The Baum Supremacy

ROBCamra
14-10-2011, 11:38
The Baum Supremacy

That's my team name in the premier league game. Got there before you hondo. :D

aleandhearty
14-10-2011, 13:41
Just my humble opinion and ignore me if you wish!

Not at all. It's quite obvious you know what you're talking about, whereas I was merely indulging in a little online reverie. I think your reply may well spur me on to clear the cellar and start having a go at brewing my own, really learning about the process and ingredients.

Wittenden
14-10-2011, 18:51
For the bittering I'd use some British hops such as target, northdown or first gold as I think most "C" hops are unsuitable for this and give a harsh flavour (some like it though).

Funny old world-I was talking to my neighbour who is a hop grower.Alongside the Goldings and Admiral he grows a fair proportion of Target. For years these were almost a "commodity", but now there seems to be a quality premium on account of the alpha content.

ROBCamra
18-10-2011, 12:48
Well a decision has been made with regard to the hops.

We'll be using a mix of Aurora & Chinook.

The favourite name so far is "Grumpy Gits" as we're brewing it for the local 41 Club's meet the brewer night although we're telling them it's named after Simon and I. :D

I think Phil & Mat from Green Mill may grass us up on the night though.

Malt variety is still under discussion, we'll have to see what they've got in stock at the brewery on Thursday. :cheers:

ROBCamra
21-10-2011, 08:15
Well the brew is now in the fermenter for the next 7 days.

Simon and I arrived at the Cask & Feather (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/19900/), home of Green Mill brewery at 9:30.

Phil already had the liquor (water) almost up to temperature (73 degrees) in preparation for the mash.

He showed us how to mix the hot liquor with the malt, we are using Pearl Malt, whilst slowly feeding it into the mash tun.

We then did a bag of malt each, it's a lot harder than Phil makes it look and you use muscles I'd forgotten I had since I stopped playing darts regularly.

Once completed Mat did un "underfill" which involves putting more liquor in the bottom of the tun to stop everything bunging up.

Green Mill is a 5 barrel plant and they have 3 fermenters which allow them to brew 3 times per week.

All 3 fermenters were full, one with Green Mill Gold, their best seller, and 2 with the Halloween special Pumpkin Ale made with fresh pumpkin.

This meant that the whole rear area smelt of pumpkins.

We had to empty one of the fermenters to get our brew in, so the next job was to clean and sterilise ten 9 gallon barrels.

That done we still had 50 minutes to kill before we could sparg the brew so we went to the The Regal Moon (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55906/) for breakfast. :p

Back at the brewery we set the brew up to be transferred to the copper and started sparging, which involves pouring hot liquor over the mash through a revolving head, much like a garden sprinkler.

Whilst this was going on we filled the 10 barrels with Green Mill Gold from the fermenter.

We then retreated to the bar in the Cask to have a chat with Jackie the landlady and to sample the wares.

Once the sparging had finished and the copper had been boiled the hops were added.

For a 5 barrel brew we used 2 kg of Aurora and 250g of Chinook. Aurora adds lots of aroma and Chinook hoppiness & bitterness.

We then left Mat to complete the task of transferring the finished product to the fermenter as Simon was needed back at the Baum.

We'll find out what we've brewed in another week.

The meet the brewer night is on 2nd November and four of the barrels will be in the Baum cellar by then.

I'm sure we'll get told exactly how well/badly we've done on the night.

I also expect that someone will let slip to the 41 Club why it's going to be called "Grumpy Old Gits" :D

Watch this space for the critical acclaim (or not).

The other 6 barrels will be going out to the local free trade and if it's successful they'll brew it again as the exact ingredients etc were all entered into the brewery laptop.

An interesting day out and thanks to Mat & Phil for their friendliness (and patience) with 2 complete novices. Thanks guys.:cheers:

Brewguru
22-10-2011, 20:01
Bet you are glad you were not brewing this beer in this thread http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?8927-Lots-of-hops-anyone

P.S You sure it is 5 barrel? 10 x 9 gallon firkins = 2.5 barrel plant, for a mid range 4.2% abv?

ROBCamra
01-11-2011, 13:41
Well the beer will be on the bar in The Baum for tonight when the local CAMRA group are having their monthly meeting.

I've no doubt that if we ask for feedback we'll certainly get it. :p

I'll be down there to try it myself later on. :pray:

ROBCamra
02-11-2011, 09:50
I've no doubt that if we ask for feedback we'll certainly get it. :p

Well we got loads of feedback, almost all of it positive.

We went through 8 gallons of it last night alone, which is fantastic considering there were 7 other beers on the bar.

It turned out exactly as we wanted and judging by the response in the Baum, Green Mill may well brew it again !! :cheers:

aleandhearty
02-11-2011, 14:56
It turned out exactly as we wanted and judging by the response in the Baum, Green Mill may well brew it again !! :cheers:

Glad it went well, ROB. A new career perhaps? :)

ROBCamra
10-11-2011, 08:53
Green Mill have brewed Old Gits again.

They say they just had to tweak it by adding a few Cascade hops.

What they mean is that it's no longer exactly our recipe, so we would have no legal claim on it if it started selling 100 barrels a week. ;)

It should be on the bar in the next week or so.

It would be amusing if the Cascade had changed it significantly and it was now crap. :p

ROBCamra
23-11-2011, 10:04
Two 9's of Old Gits in the cellar at the Baum dropped off by Phil from the brewery last night. :cheers:

I was talking to Phil & Matt at their stand at Bury Beer Festival on Saturday.

Whilst we were chatting Phil got a text from The Puzzle Hall in Sowerby Bridge.

They were asking if he could get them another 9 of Puzzle First Anniversary Ale as the first one sold in 3 hours!!

Guess what the Puzzle Ale was rebadged? ;)

aleandhearty
23-11-2011, 10:15
Guess what the Puzzle Ale was rebadged?

Marble Pint? :D

ROBCamra
23-11-2011, 11:40

Correct! There's no fooling you A&H. :rolleyes:

oldboots
23-11-2011, 18:58

I think Blind Jacks in Knaresborough do the same thing

ROBCamra
26-11-2011, 13:59
Tried the new Greenmill version of Old Gits last night, it doesn't really work. It's still OK but they've lost the bitterness provided by the Chinook hops.

The Chinook are still in there but they've added 400g of Cascade which has changed it completely.

I was talking to Matt (the brewer) last night and suggested that they drop the Cascade and go back to the original recipe. Let's see what happens with the next brew.

Brewguru
27-11-2011, 11:02
Green Mill have brewed Old Gits again.

They say they just had to tweak it by adding a few Cascade hops.

What they mean is that it's no longer exactly our recipe, so we would have no legal claim on it if it started selling 100 barrels a week. ;)

It should be on the bar in the next week or so.

It would be amusing if the Cascade had changed it significantly and it was now crap. :p

Looks like you saw it coming, they should pay you to advise on their hop selection!

Cascade is a stunning but almost universally used hop in alot of the pale citrusy beers you find nowadays, Chinook as you mention is a more powerful and unique bitter hop.

Mobyduck
23-06-2012, 06:54
Tried the new Greenmill version of Old Gits last night, it doesn't really work. It's still OK but they've lost the bitterness provided by the Chinook hops.

The Chinook are still in there but they've added 400g of Cascade which has changed it completely.

I was talking to Matt (the brewer) last night and suggested that they drop the Cascade and go back to the original recipe. Let's see what happens with the next brew.

Just read through this thread for the first time,really interesting,how has it turned out?Is Old Gits still being brewed and has it returned to how it was intended? :glass:

Mobyduck
23-06-2012, 07:00
Just read through this thread for the first time,really interesting,how has it turned out?Is Old Gits still being brewed and has it returned to how it was intended? :glass:

I think Iv'e just answered my own question, just checked the Greenmill website and seen Old Git amongst their beers,well done. :cheers:

ROBCamra
23-06-2012, 11:04

Old Gits is now one of Green Mills regular beers.

They claim they now use the original recipe, but they don't really.

As I pointed out to Matt, the brewer, if it's the original recipe, how come I can still taste Cascade and the bitter hoppiness from the Chinook is much less pronounced?

I think that they still add Cascade hops, but only about 100g rather than the 400g they added to their first version.

It's still not a bad beer though. :cheers:

Mobyduck
23-06-2012, 21:44
Old Gits is now one of Green Mills regular beers.

They claim they now use the original recipe, but they don't really.

As I pointed out to Matt, the brewer, if it's the original recipe, how come I can still taste Cascade and the bitter hoppiness from the Chinook is much less pronounced?

I think that they still add Cascade hops, but only about 100g rather than the 400g they added to their first version.

It's still not a bad beer though. :cheers:

All the same something to be proud of, I'd like to try it some time.:glass:

ROBCamra
20-11-2013, 12:57
Green Mill Old Git has been nominated in the Golden Ale category for the Champion Beer Of Britain.

All CAMRA members can vote online.

The winners then go forwards to the tasting panels at the appropriate CBOB Beer Festival.

Piece of p*ss this brewing lark. 1 attempt 1 nomination.

Methink brewers protest too much. :evilgrin:

Aqualung
20-11-2013, 20:34
Green Mill Old Git has been nominated in the Golden Ale category for the Champion Beer Of Britain.

All CAMRA members can vote online.

The winners then go forwards to the tasting panels at the appropriate CBOB Beer Festival.

Piece of p*ss this brewing lark. 1 attempt 1 nomination.

Methink brewers protest too much. :evilgrin:

How does this work exactly? I recently voted in this and was presented with a huge list of beers in most categories all from the South East, although Hook Norton isn't South East in my book.
The funniest thing for me was that Brodie's California was included in the Golden Ales category and as far as I'm aware hasn't been brewed for some two years! I felt compelled to vote for it.

oldboots
21-11-2013, 07:26
How does this work exactly? I recently voted in this and was presented with a huge list of beers in most categories all from the South East, although Hook Norton isn't South East in my book.
The funniest thing for me was that Brodie's California was included in the Golden Ales category and as far as I'm aware hasn't been brewed for some two years! I felt compelled to vote for it.

When you sign in you are checked out by the system and it presents you with a local list based on where you told CAMRA you live. Anyone found a printable list of all the beers either nationally or local?

Brewguru
22-11-2013, 11:30
When you sign in you are checked out by the system and it presents you with a local list based on where you told CAMRA you live. Anyone found a printable list of all the beers either nationally or local?

Just done it for the South West. As I understand the local CAMRA branch (mine is Somerset) nominates beers in each category from it's branch. Members can then vote for the beers that all the branches in their particular region have nominated. As its a drop down menu no easy way to get a list, but I was surprised how few beers there seemed to be.

One odd one was Arbors Transpacific Pale Ale appearing in the old ales and strong milds section!

Aqualung
22-11-2013, 23:26
Brodie's California was included in the Golden Ales category and as far as I'm aware hasn't been brewed for some two years!

As I suspected when I first saw the list they have got the name wrong, it's Californian not Calofornia Old Street Pale replaced it and I'm fairly certain that I haven't seen it for well over two years.

aleandhearty
16-06-2014, 15:43
Picked Mrs a&h up from work on Thursday evening and as it was a lovely sunny evening decided to hit a pub with a nice beer garden. Imagine my surprise when I saw Green Mill Old Git on the pumps at The Kings Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57387/), Heath. At first I was a bity hazy about it being the beer you were involved with, but then it gradually came back to me. I thought it was OK, if slightly underwhelming, but as you said back in 2011 it lost some character when the Chinook was replaced. I'd liked to have tried your original version. Having waited three years to find it, it was also on at The Puzzle Hall Inn, Sowerby Bridge, on Saturday!

ROBCamra
11-09-2014, 09:51
I was chatting to Anthony & John from Oates brewery in Halifax on Tuesday. :notworthy:

I've blagged a visit to the brewery to brew a beer with them.

In exchange they'll come and do a "Meet The Brewer" at the Baum.

No timeframe yet, but hopefully soon. :cheers:

ROBCamra
25-02-2015, 06:55
I was chatting to Anthony & John from Oates brewery in Halifax on Tuesday. :notworthy:

I've blagged a visit to the brewery to brew a beer with them.

In exchange they'll come and do a "Meet The Brewer" at the Baum.

No timeframe yet, but hopefully soon. :cheers:

The timeframe has been arranged, it's today. :p

Setting off for Halifax in about 10 minutes.

Hopefully it will go as well as last time at Green Mill. :cheers:

ROBCamra
26-02-2015, 08:39
Well the brew is now in the fermenter for the next 7 days after that it will be transferred to a conditioning tank for about 3 more.

Last time Simon and I brewed a light, hoppy beer at 4.2%.

For a change this time we've brewed a light, hoppy beer at 4%.:evilgrin:

Complete change on the hops front though.

We also added Jamie, the Baum's bar manager to the team.

Oates is a 6 BB plant. A little bigger then the Green Mill plant and a bit more automated.

To Pearl Malt and Torrified Wheat (for head retention) we added Kohatu and Pacific Jade to the copper during the boil.

Part way through we added 200g of Citra.

At the end of the boil a further 500g of Citra and another 250g of Kohatu were added.

This was then transferred to a fermenter. It smelt great in the fermenting room!

The beer will be dry hopped in the cask with Nelson Sauvin as it is put into the barrels.

We then "designed" the pump clip.

The beer is being brewed to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Rochdale, Oldham & Bury CAMRA.

So the pump clip has the crest of each of the towns on it with a background of some wallpaper from The Baum.

The beer is called R.O.B. and will be available from 13th March at The Baum if all goes to plan.

It's also likely to be served in a few of the regions free houses.

About a dozen 9's will be made available to the free trade in Yorkshire as well. Keep an eye out a&h and OB!:p

The Bridge at Ripponden have told us that they'll take one as we called in there for a post brewing pint on the way home.

Many thanks to Anthony the brewer (ex Hogsback) for all his advice and good humour during the day.

Also thanks to Mark (Oates) and John (Sales Director) for your help and the butties.

Oates will be doing a Meet The Brewer at The Baum on 17th March, see you all then guys. :cheers:

http://www.oatesbrewing.co.uk/

https://twitter.com/oatesbrewing

ROBCamra
16-03-2015, 09:39
Well our beer Oates R.O.B. is on the bar in The Baum & The Healey at the moment and will soon be on at the Regal Moon
all in Rochdale.

We'll be meeting Anthony & John tomorrow, so Ill find out where else it's gone to.

It's not turned out quite as we imagined this time.

It is hoppy and bitter and fairly dry, but it's a slow grower rather than a major hop hit from the start.

It's also a little bit maltier than we'd expected.

Still people seem to like it and a 9 sold out in The Healey in just over 24 hours which isn't bad at all for a foody pub.

We want Oates to brew it again for the 1st ever Rochdale CAMRA Beer Festival (watch this space, I'm on the organising committee) :evilgrin:

So we might have to get some advice from the guys on a tweak. :cheers:

ROBCamra
22-03-2015, 14:27

On a bar near you soon? :evilgrin:

Bucking Fastard
22-03-2015, 17:37

On a bar near you soon? :evilgrin:

Now I understand the origins of your nom de plume,always wondered about that.

ROBCamra
19-10-2016, 10:06
Off to Green Mill brewery in Broadbottom tomorrow morning to help brew a Special festival brew
for Rochdale Beer Festival 2016.

It's going to be a Black IPA, so none of the light, hoppy nonsense we've brewed before.

This time it's going to be dark, hoppy nonsense.:evilgrin:

ROBCamra
21-10-2016, 10:51
The jobs done.

It's a Black IPA called Black Ops.

It's got shedloads of hops in it Citra, Chinook, Waimea, Cascade, Bravo & Nelson Sauvin.

Hope it turns out as good as it smelt in the fermenter. :cheers:

ROBCamra
16-11-2016, 08:05
The Beer Of The Festival at Rochdale was a 3 way tie between:-

Vibrant Forest Kick Start

Serious Moonlight Stout the Champion Beer at Oldham Beer Festival earlier this year AND

Greenmill Black Ops :cheers: :drinkup::bemerry:

Joint first out of 89, not bad at all.

Interesting that all the first three were dark beers though.

Bucking Fastard
16-11-2016, 12:35
The Beer Of The Festival at Rochdale was a 3 way tie between:-

Vibrant Forest Kick Start

Serious Moonlight Stout the Champion Beer at Oldham Beer Festival earlier this year AND

Greenmill Black Ops :cheers: :drinkup::bemerry:

Joint first out of 89, not bad at all.

Interesting that all the first three were dark beers though.

Very well done,will Black Ops become part of Greenmill's regular brews ?

ROBCamra
16-11-2016, 13:04
Very well done,will Black Ops become part of Greenmill's regular brews ?

Not sure yet as it's quite expensive to brew with all those hops.

When I spoke to Phil yesterday he said "We'd better brew it again then", so at least once more.

But who knows, Old Git our last effort with them is now their second highest selling beer after Greenmill Gold.:cheers: