PDA

View Full Version : Wemberley, Wemberley we're all pi**ed up and we're going to Wemberley...

Delboy20
23-01-2010, 20:59
Hi all,

Well what a night it was last Wednesday at Villa Park. I was rough for a day and a half but it was worth it.

Now I have a trip to the capital to look forward to. The hotel is booked in Harrow so I have all Saturday free to tour the pubs.

Any recommendations that should not be missed ??

I will probably spend Sunday dinner in the Wembley area building up to the game.

Cheers,

Del.

RogerB
23-01-2010, 21:41
Hi all,
I will probably spend Sunday dinner in the Wembley area building up to the game.

Firstly congratulations - a Wembley final is a fantastic occasion, win or lose.

Bad move re drinking at Wembley though! Wembley is truly appaling for pubs. Most of them also hike up their prices on event days and even Wetherspoons charge £3 a pint across the board when there is a match or concert on at the Stadium, not that you will get served in there anyway. If you really have to choose one then I would suggest the Green Man - they do a couple of ales but are also guilty of cashing on with price hikes. There is a huge garden if the weather is OK and they usually have a barbie going. The only other slight recommendation, purely because they can handle the crowds, is the First Class Sports Bar near Wembley Park station (not currently on PG but I will sort that out) - the bar itself isn't very big but they have a massive marquee at the rear with plenty of seating, plasma screens etc and service is pretty good. No ales and it was £3.50 a pint when I was last there over a year ago so expect £3.60/£3.70 for a lager (there ain't much else). The other thing worth noting is that the police usually segregate the pubs so you will be limited in what area of Wembley you can drink in. I will endeavour to stick some of my old Wembley pub reviews on the site (they won't have changed for the better since I wrote them) but personally I think you are better off getting the tube into town (Marylebone / Baker Street area will have a few football friendly pubs) and then coming back to Wembley for the game.

Soup Dragon
23-01-2010, 22:29
i just want a ticket - would even go without beer - mind you, as Roger says, Wembley pubs are awful

RogerB
23-01-2010, 23:30
Just remembered the Torch - half decent if Wembley decent is anything to go by and they don't (or didn't) rip the punters off. A few reviews now added - there are a few Irish bars if Guinness and Magners is your thing (hopefully not together). Mannions, Crock Of Gold, The Parish (not listed on PG) and Thirsty Eddies are all much of a muchness - review one and you've reviewed them all, and as I am not a fan of Irish bars they don't carry any great recommendation from me. The Greyhound was always a popular (but still rubbish) pub but was closed on my last visit a few months ago and possibly still is.

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 23:52
Great to see Villa at Wembley just sad Lynne could not see it.She was a great fan,owned some shares and proud her grandad, Tommy Weston ,played for the Cup wining team in the 1920's. There will be plenty of the Weston bloodline to to shout for them.
To everyone going to the match have a fantastic day out.

RogerB
24-01-2010, 08:51
Of course if City get there as well we could have some interesting cyber banter between you Villa chaps and Trainman (who is sensibly keeping schtum about having one foot in the door). I'm not actually sure who I would want to win - I generally don't mind either club and both are long overdue a trophy, more so in City's case. If it is Villa v Utd then no problem where my allegience will be for the afternoon.

Oggwyn Trench
24-01-2010, 09:43
Much better to drink in Marleybone and catch train to Wembley , its what we did at the play off final .

RogerB
24-01-2010, 10:08
Much better to drink in Marleybone and catch train to Wembley , its what we did at the play off final .

...and how is young David Button getting on - I hear he has saved the Shrews a few times since he's been there.

HTM69
24-01-2010, 11:11
If it is Villa v Utd then no problem where my allegience will be for the afternoon.

Ahh, cheers Roger - knew we could count on your support to stuff the brummies ;)

RogerB
24-01-2010, 11:17
Ahh, cheers Roger - knew we could count on your support to stuff the brummies ;)
No chance! You win enough already and with all the additional time Fergie will want if they are losing, the game might not be finished in time for me to go to work the next day. :rolleyes:

Tilly-Miss
24-01-2010, 18:35
Wembley will rip the seat out of your pants be sure with that, i was part of the recent "Take That Circus Tour" and the prices were ridiculous,saying that Cardiff and Dublin were also guilty of hiking the prices which seems so unfair,Sunderland and Coventry boozers were very good and Manchester was brilliant we found a great watering hole in Trafford Park the landlady used to pick us up we had use of the showers and the lock inns were brilliant.
Good luck to Villa but i have a sneaky feeling fergies boys are going to be at wembley all guns blazing looking to capture the trophy and a few thousand to pay of there mammoth debt.

hopwas
24-01-2010, 19:42
My local team Tamworth are still in FA Trophy (Non league's FA Cup version). We are currently in 3rd round and if we go all the way then final will be at no other than Wembley! :cheers:

Tamworth have played at Wembley before in 1989 when they played AFC Sudbury in FA Cup final, drew 0-0 and in replayed match at Peterborough, we beat them 3-0.

Our FA Trophy match with Gainsborough is on Tuesday night..

Oggwyn Trench
24-01-2010, 20:20
...and how is young David Button getting on - I hear he has saved the Shrews a few times since he's been there.

Playing well by all accounts , may have to get off my backside and start going again , in 30 years i only missed about a dozen games at the Gay Meadow , yet to set foot in the new ground

Delboy20
24-01-2010, 20:47
Firstly congratulations - a Wembley final is a fantastic occasion, win or lose.

Bad move re drinking at Wembley though! Wembley is truly appaling for pubs. Most of them also hike up their prices on event days and even Wetherspoons charge £3 a pint across the board when there is a match or concert on at the Stadium, not that you will get served in there anyway. If you really have to choose one then I would suggest the Green Man - they do a couple of ales but are also guilty of cashing on with price hikes. There is a huge garden if the weather is OK and they usually have a barbie going. The only other slight recommendation, purely because they can handle the crowds, is the First Class Sports Bar near Wembley Park station (not currently on PG but I will sort that out) - the bar itself isn't very big but they have a massive marquee at the rear with plenty of seating, plasma screens etc and service is pretty good. No ales and it was £3.50 a pint when I was last there over a year ago so expect £3.60/£3.70 for a lager (there ain't much else). The other thing worth noting is that the police usually segregate the pubs so you will be limited in what area of Wembley you can drink in. I will endeavour to stick some of my old Wembley pub reviews on the site (they won't have changed for the better since I wrote them) but personally I think you are better off getting the tube into town (Marylebone / Baker Street area will have a few football friendly pubs) and then coming back to Wembley for the game.

I went to the Green Man in 94 against United, The Greyhound in 96 against Leeds and Thirsty Eddies in 2000 against Bolton. I would like to go in the Spoons to get my count up and stay ahead of Hoppy. It is a total rip off around the ground. In 2000 against Chelsea we stayed in the Moon on the Hill in Harrow for a while.
I haven't been to Marylebone since I went to Highbury some years ago so that is a possibility for the Saturday afternoon session.
This time I hope to avoid dodgy strip bars in Kings Cross as I am taking my 70 year old father with me !!!

Cheers,

Del.

RogerB
24-01-2010, 23:34
My local team Tamworth are still in FA Trophy (Non league's FA Cup version). We are currently in 3rd round and if we go all the way then final will be at no other than Wembley! :cheers:

Tamworth have played at Wembley before in 1989 when they played AFC Sudbury in FA Cup final,

Er, are you really sure about this!

Soup Dragon
25-01-2010, 21:40
I think they were Sudbury Town then - but i dont quite think it was the FA Cup final - mind you, it could be more outlandish, he could have said Birmingham City!

I have only been to the New Meadow once Oggy - a bit of a walk out - saw Shrews v Accrington (who are they? - exactly)

RogerB
25-01-2010, 22:26
I went to the New Meadow (or is it the Prostar Stadium?) a few weeks ago when they played Bury as part of my efforts in going to all 92 grounds. Probably the worst game I have seen this season. Pubs were good though!

I have been to the new Wembley 24 times - 22 matches and 2 gigs - next visit will be the England v Egypt game. As for the old Wembley, I clocked up 123 matches, 28 gigs and a stadium tour!

In my 1,861 matches so far (yes I have a record of each one), Tamworth are the only Conference team I have never seen play although technically I have never seen Hayes & Yeading since they merged.

Tilly-Miss
27-01-2010, 22:25
Well done Man Utd another injury time goal sets up an interesting confrontation with Villa..will be a great day and something to look forward to..who will win? wouldnt like to say Villa are a very good team who have caused United a few problems in the past and they will be up for it, interesting day to come.

Soup Dragon
27-01-2010, 22:34
Well done Man Utd another injury time goal sets up an interesting confrontation with Villa..will be a great day and something to look forward to..who will win? wouldnt like to say Villa are a very good team who have caused United a few problems in the past and they will be up for it, interesting day to come.

Come on the VILLA!

Conrad
27-01-2010, 23:12
A couple of new (rather large) smileys added till after the final when I will retire them.

ROBCamra
28-01-2010, 11:21
A couple of new (rather large) smileys added till after the final when I will retire them.

As the 33 years clock ticks over to 34. Will City ever win a trophy? :manutdfc:

Sorry trainman. :whistle:

HTM69
29-01-2010, 10:33

Nope!

Glory, Glory, Man Utd, Glory, Glory, Man Utd! :manutdfc:

trainman
31-01-2010, 11:02
Sad sad sad! Mind you, as a Kentish chap (chap of Kent?), you're virtually a local for that lot HTM!

I've been made aware of www.leaguecup50.com with a bit of something for many readers of these pages. Shame the 'Dale segment didn't feature a video clip. Roger, I didn't know Rab C. was playing for spurs in '73? Obviously Tueart securing our last trophy gets my vote, "34 years, and we're still here..."

Oggwyn Trench
31-01-2010, 11:10
Tempted to vote for Chester City as the poor bugers need all the help they can get at the moment , winding up orders from the taxman and up for sale for £1 , though thats probally overpriced

Maldenman
31-01-2010, 11:26
Tempted to vote for Chester City as the poor bugers need all the help they can get at the moment , winding up orders from the taxman and up for sale for £1 , though thats probally overpriced

The £1 means taking on all of Chester's debts though and they are believed to be considerable. They have been destroyed by a succession of owners who have/would have failed the right and proper person test. Good luck to their fans, they deserve better. I just hope they make it to the end of the season otherwise if their record is expunged my team (Altrincham) will lose four points.

hopwas
31-01-2010, 11:57

Tamworth have played at Wembley before in 1989 when they played AFC Sudbury in FA Cup final, drew 0-0 and in replayed match at Peterborough, we beat them 3-0.

Our FA Trophy match with Gainsborough is on Tuesday night..

We beat Gainsborough but only JUST! 2 - 1 on freezing night. It was so cold that I nipped to warm clubhouse 5 mins early before half time.

We drew away to Guisley and was due to play yesterday but was called off due to frozen pitch. :moremad:

Maldenman
31-01-2010, 17:13
Anyone else congratulating Workington on their win yesterday at the new self appointed home of non league football? Superb turn up, especially for a team having suffered so much and voted out of the league more on location than anything.

Soup Dragon
31-01-2010, 23:54
i have seen Workington play, just not at Borough Park, as yet!

ROBCamra
02-02-2010, 09:08
Well Dale were on the telly again last night and true to form they lost again last night. :mad:

Why oh why are they so crap when they get on the box? :(

RogerB
02-02-2010, 09:18
Well Dale were on the telly again last night and true to form they lost again last night. :mad:

Why oh why are they so crap when they get on the box? :(

I actually watched Bury v Dale last night in preference to Makems v Stoke! Sounds like it was the right choice.

hopwas
04-02-2010, 15:52
We beat Gainsborough but only JUST! 2 - 1 on freezing night. It was so cold that I nipped to warm clubhouse 5 mins early before half time.

We drew away to Guisley and was due to play yesterday but was called off due to frozen pitch. :moremad:

Beat Guisley 1-0 on snow filled pitch and was watched by crowd of 291. We now play winners of Cambridge and Salisbury away in Quarter Final on 20th Feb. Just 3 more matches (Quarter and two legs of Semi) before Final at Wembley!! :pray::pray::pray:

We have reached Final before but was held at Villa instead of Wembley as they were rebuilding at that time.

Delboy20
04-02-2010, 20:37
Beat Guisley 1-0 on snow filled pitch and was watched by crowd of 291. We now play winners of Cambridge and Salisbury away in Quarter Final on 20th Feb. Just 3 more matches (Quarter and two legs of Semi) before Final at Wembley!! :pray::pray::pray:

We have reached Final before but was held at Villa instead of Wembley as they were rebuilding at that time.

Villa Park is a better ground than Wembley so you were quite lucky !!

hopwas
04-02-2010, 20:44
Villa Park is a better ground than Wembley so you were quite lucky !!

Why? :confused:

If we do make to Wembley then we will be first side to played 3 finals on 3 different grounds (Old Wembley in 1989, Villa Park in 2003 and Hopefully New Wembley in 2010)

And second to win the FA double (FA Vase and FA Trophy) after Stafford Rangers.

Maldenman
04-02-2010, 22:26
I reckon Tamworth now have a chance with so many bigger Conf teams out and some of the Billy Big B*lls teams regarding it as an irritation. Also the pre tournament favourites Alty are bizarrely out :whistle:

Workington delighted me beating the favourites elect Wimbledon, you been there yet, the most one eyed fans ever, but they won't go the distance. Good luck to you, plus I reckon you're worth a punt if the odds are good enough.

Maldenman
04-02-2010, 22:28
Why? :confused:

And second to win the FA double (FA Vase and FA Trophy) after Stafford Rangers.

Stafford won the Vase? Are you sure about that? Off my radar.

hopwas
04-02-2010, 22:37
Stafford won the Vase? Are you sure about that? Off my radar.

You are right.. I always thought Rangers has won the vase in early 1970 but i googled it found they actually didnt.

Do you know team have won FA Vase and FA trophy?

Bucking Fastard
05-02-2010, 11:39
You are right.. I always thought Rangers has won the vase in early 1970 but i googled it found they actually didnt.

Do you know team have won FA Vase and FA trophy?

That honour may yet fall to your boys,but Foest Green Rovers came close winning the Vase in 81/82 but loosing a Trophy final in 2000/01.The power of Google....

hopwas
05-02-2010, 11:51
That honour may yet fall to your boys,but Foest Green Rovers came close winning the Vase in 81/82 but loosing a Trophy final in 2000/01.The power of Google....

I knew about Forest Green came close winning Trophy.

Tamworth is in chance for unique double :pray::pray::pray:

ROBCamra
25-02-2010, 09:35

After last nights result.......... tick, tick, tick :p

RogerB
25-02-2010, 09:38
Forecast is rain. I reckon it will be postponed.:avfc::manutdfc:

hopwas
25-02-2010, 18:50

Sadly we got knocked out by Salisbury in Quarter final and result was 0 2. Over 1,000 watched the game and I didnt make to the game cos I was skint.

Never mind.. Next up at home is Gateshead on this Tuesday.

Soup Dragon
25-02-2010, 20:05
i have been to Gateshead's ground - listen out for them shouting cummon' th' heed (come on the [Gates]head in English)

Youngie
26-02-2010, 20:54
http://soccernet-akamai.espn.go.com/design05/images/jb2/rooney_get5000.jpg
:manutdfc::manutdfc::manutdfc:

Delboy20
26-02-2010, 22:17
Hmmmm nice - old photo I see !!

Certainly not from this season because Shrek hasn't scored against us ( tempting fate I know !! ).

Early night for me. Heading down to London early in the morning, should be a good session tomorrow.

Cheers each,

Del. :avfc: :avfc: :avfc: :avfc:

Maldenman
26-02-2010, 23:30
Personally I'm getting rather stressed. My lad supports Fulham, and I have no problem cherry picking games to take him to, eg Burnley, Wigan, Stoke etc and various cup ties. We've been to all the Europa league homes, priced nice and cheap and a lot of fun.
Suddenly they are within one game of a Wembley semi final and in the last 16 of the EL! I really don't want to play anymore and want to get off the rollercoaster now but I can't let him down. It's also starting to interfere with me supporting Alty when I can.
Come on Tottenham, and Juve!

Youngie
26-02-2010, 23:57
Damn!
Delboy is 4 3 up in 'Smiley-flag-wavers'..... best add a couple more in the 9th min of 'Fergietime' to clinch it 5 4!!
:manutdfc::manutdfc:

:)

RogerB
27-02-2010, 07:48
Personally I'm getting rather stressed. My lad supports Fulham, and I have no problem cherry picking games to take him to, eg Burnley, Wigan, Stoke etc and various cup ties. We've been to all the Europa league homes, priced nice and cheap and a lot of fun.
Suddenly they are within one game of a Wembley semi final and in the last 16 of the EL! I really don't want to play anymore and want to get off the rollercoaster now but I can't let him down. It's also starting to interfere with me supporting Alty when I can.
Come on Tottenham, and Juve!

My ticket for Fulham v Spurs Cup tie was only £25 (as opposed to the £49 they charged us for the league fixture) so no excuse for at least one more trip, especially to see the mighty Spurs. No need for you to worry about any Wembley semi's though! :D

Maldenman
27-02-2010, 10:50
My ticket for Fulham v Spurs Cup tie was only £25 (as opposed to the £49 they charged us for the league fixture) so no excuse for at least one more trip, especially to see the mighty Spurs. No need for you to worry about any Wembley semi's though! :D

To be fair to Fulham their prices for category C games and cup ties are very fair. It is rarely more than a fiver for my son, and for example the Shaktar game was £15 for me and £5 for him. You'd pay more than that at a fair few Conference grounds.

hopwas
27-02-2010, 10:57
You'd pay more than that at a fair few Conference grounds.

Just £12 at Tamworth :D I am season ticket holder in last 5 years and it works out just £7.60 per game. Bargain! :cheers:

Maldenman
27-02-2010, 11:04
Just £12 at Tamworth :D I am season ticket holder in last 5 years and it works out just £7.60 per game. Bargain! :cheers:

Yes, and £13 at Alty, £12 at Wimbledon down the road. I'm thinking more Oxford, Wrexham, Kettering etc. Kettering now have a rather cynical pricing structure where higher category games are charged more. When we went there as a Cat C game they closed the standing section and made us go in the seats at Cat A equivalent price!

hopwas
27-02-2010, 11:23
Yes, and £13 at Alty, £12 at Wimbledon down the road. I'm thinking more Oxford, Wrexham, Kettering etc. Kettering now have a rather cynical pricing structure where higher category games are charged more. When we went there as a Cat C game they closed the standing section and made us go in the seats at Cat A equivalent price!

I originally planned go to Kettering for our New Year Day match then I found out Kettering decided to close away end and moved to seating area which would cost us £18! Not surprisingly around 50 Tamworth supporters decided not to go as part of boycott including me. Away End would cost me 5 quid cheaper than in seating area.

Scandalous! :moremad::moremad::moremad:

Oggwyn Trench
27-02-2010, 12:44
AFC Telford charge £11 and there Blue Square North
Its £16 at Shrewsbury if you buy in advance or £18 on the day

RogerB
27-02-2010, 21:40
Our recent away Cup game at Bolton was £15 (£13 if you are a season ticket holder / club member). Spurs sold 5,000 away tickets, Bolton sold 8,500 home tickets. I wonder how many Bolton fans would come out of the woodwork and queue up for a Cup Final ticket had they got there.

Oggwyn Trench
28-02-2010, 00:32
Strangley the only 2 teams (from the league/premier)i have not seen play are Spurs and Coventry

RogerB
28-02-2010, 08:35
Strangley the only 2 teams (from the league/premier)i have not seen play are Spurs and Coventry

With the '87 Cup Final in mind, I wish I hadn't either. :(

Off to WHL for our lunchtime game which means I will miss this afternoons final but I may catch the end if it goes to Extra Time, Fergie Time and Penalties.:D

Oggwyn Trench
28-02-2010, 09:16
With the '87 Cup Final in mind, I wish I hadn't either. :(

Off to WHL for our lunchtime game which means I will miss this afternoons final but I may catch the end if it goes to Extra Time, Fergie Time and Penalties.:D

I think 87 was the last decent final , end to end attacking football and lots of exitment , plus Steve Ogrizavitch(i think thats how you spell it) was an ex Shrewsbury player

RogerB
28-02-2010, 09:27
plus Steve Ogrizavitch(i think thats how you spell it) was an ex Shrewsbury player

I remember him - he made Luke Chadwick look like a pin up!

hopwas
28-02-2010, 10:33
I think 87 was the last decent final

Keith Houchen's flying header goal was superb and one of the best FA Cup Finals I have witnessed live on TV. I was 8 at that time and I used to support Coventry City.

However last decent final was 2006 FA Cup final between Liverpool and West Ham with Gerrard's last min screamer which forced Extra time. Here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FA_Cup_Final

HTM69
28-02-2010, 10:45
This afternoon’s League Cup Final is a re-run of the first final a young 10-year-old HTM69 watched on television: the 1994 ‘Coca-Cola Cup’ Final between, yes, Manchester United and Aston Villa. The mighty reds were in fact not so mighty and got thrashed 3-1 – Mark ‘Sparky’ Hughes getting a consolation, if I recall. Rather ironically, United wore there green-and-yellow Newton Heath commemorative jerseys – bet they won’t be this afternoon!

Anyway, enough of the guff! Come on you reds – Glory, Glory Man Utd!

Maldenman
28-02-2010, 10:52
A few of us at work were discussing cup finals recently and being of similar age, mid 40's shall we say, we all found we could recall all the FA Cup finals from around 1970 through to the mid 90's, where things start to get hazy. Even recalling the final from last season or the one before unanimously caused us some effort. We couldn't decide why, but the general concensus was that back in the day, the FA Cup final was probably the only live game on TV, if not in a World Cup year, whereas today its live football nearly every day. The rarity of this therefore making the occasion more special.

hopwas
28-02-2010, 10:52
This afternoon’s League Cup Final is a re-run of the first final a young 10-year-old HTM69 watched on television: the 1994 ‘Coca-Cola Cup’ Final between, yes, Manchester United and Aston Villa. The mighty reds were in fact not so mighty and got thrashed 3-1 – Mark ‘Sparky’ Hughes getting a consolation, if I recall. Rather ironically, United wore there green-and-yellow Newton Heath commemorative jerseys – bet they won’t be this afternoon!

Anyway, enough of the guff! Come on you reds – Glory, Glory Man Utd!

I actually attended this final in 1994 with my ex brother in law and still got programme (£5 in 1994 is quite expensive!) It was great experience!

Millay
28-02-2010, 11:04
I’m not really sure who I want to win this afternoon. Being a Spurs supporter I rarely have any interest in Cup Finals :D

So I’ll give it one of each :avfc: :manutdfc:

My one hope is that my three Fantasy Football players, Dunne, Evra and Rooney, all come through unscathed for when they return to Premier League action.

RogerB
28-02-2010, 17:09
A few of us at work were discussing cup finals recently and being of similar age, mid 40's shall we say, we all found we could recall all the FA Cup finals from around 1970 through to the mid 90's, where things start to get hazy. Even recalling the final from last season or the one before unanimously caused us some effort. We couldn't decide why, but the general concensus was that back in the day, the FA Cup final was probably the only live game on TV, if not in a World Cup year, whereas today its live football nearly every day. The rarity of this therefore making the occasion more special.

I've had similar conversations in the past and you're spot on. From 1970 to mid 80's I could probably name every cup final and probably most goal scorers. Who won last year is a struggle. I could probably still name most of the major First Division team line ups in 1-11 order from the 70's - a bit tricky now.

Always a good question that crops up - who wore the No 7 shirt for Celtic when they won the European Cup?

HTM69
28-02-2010, 17:16
:drinkup::manutdfc: :manutdfc:

Youngie
28-02-2010, 19:43
I've had similar conversations in the past and you're spot on. From 1970 to mid 80's I could probably name every cup final and probably most goal scorers. Who won last year is a struggle. I could probably still name most of the major First Division team line ups in 1-11 order from the 70's - a bit tricky now.

Always a good question that crops up - who wore the No 7 shirt for Celtic when they won the European Cup?

No-one! No shirt numbers worn that day, although Jimmy Johnstone wore No 7 on his shorts!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/youngie44/Untitledvilla-1.jpg
:manutdfc::manutdfc:

RogerB
28-02-2010, 23:21
No-one! No shirt numbers worn that day, although Jimmy Johnstone wore No 7 on his shorts!

Thats the answer - no-one wore a No 7 shirt - the numbers were on the shorts.

Strongers
01-03-2010, 00:55
It must get boring winning all the time :rolleyes:

I wasn't around in 1942 to see the MIGHTY BEES win the London War Cup and my visits to Wembley have ended in frustration, but I still like the feeling of being happy with a draw unlike some clubs that I could mention!:cheers:

RogerB
05-03-2010, 10:04
Not too many pub stories coming from you Villains who popped down for the weekend. You must be over the result by now - what happened on the beer front?

Farway
06-03-2010, 14:54
Although I will not be attending Pompey at least will be at Wembley, just beaten some team from oop north 2- 0 :whistle:

At least it will be handy for the High Court winding up hearing, save another trip :rolleyes:

Delboy20
06-03-2010, 20:23
Hi there,

Had a good weekend apart from the result !! Yes he should have been sent off but ref bottled it. Having said that Man U where the better side.
We had a tour on Saturday with an all day tube ticket. I have no idea what the last few pubs where though. Started in The Globe then the Metropolitan (Marylebone), then the Argyle Arms oxford circus - gem of a pub. Then the Shakespeares Head - Carnaby Street, Then to Leicester Square for the Wetherspoons and The Sussex. Now it gets a bit hazy. I remember the Crown, Monmouth St and the Crown and Anchor - Both under Strand. After that I am struggling - I didn't get to bed until nearly 4 !!.
Sunday we stayed in Harrow for a while. The Moon at 10 feeling rough. Then O'Neills, Trinity and the Junction before getting some cans and over to Wembley. A couple in the ground (£4 for a bottle) and back to Moon in Harrow for a few.
Left the hotel bar at 8.30. A few cans on the coach and back to the Moon in Cradley Heath for the last hour. I got home at about 1 absolutely exhausted !!
Glad I had Monday off work !!!
Now all we need to do is beat Reading tomorrow and I can do it all again !!

Cheers,

Del. :drinkup:

PS- Can I have my Villa smiley back ?? I wanted that as my signature !!

hopwas
06-03-2010, 20:26
back to the Moon in Cradley Heath for the last hour

Was one eyed fella there in last night... :rolleyes:

Soup Dragon
06-03-2010, 20:31
Yes, Del, as long as you dont mention Doncaster Rovers

Maldenman
06-03-2010, 23:39
Just in from seeing Alty get a creditable draw at Wimbledon, Senior strikes again, BSP player of the month. Prob shouldn't be posting right now, stream of consciousness thing... yes, good day out, met up with the boys at Richmond, walked the river to Kingston, with a couple of stops Teddington (Tide End Cottage) and Boaters Inn, then a good North Kingston crawl after, Willoughby (twice), Wych Elm, Park Tavern, Richmond Park. Bag of curry, shouldn't have opened the red wine but have, sleep a good idea. Goodnight folks.

Conrad
07-03-2010, 00:41
If all we are going to do on the thread is talk about football I may have to lock it :moremad: (if I don't get to see any, I don't see why anyone else should be able to talk about it).

avfc smiley is just hidden, click on more and there it is.

Delboy20
07-03-2010, 20:35
Another roller coaster ride with the Villa but here we go again !!!!

Just the small matter of Chelski next.

Cheers,

Del.

Maldenman
18-03-2010, 20:55
Can't bloody believe Fulham pulled that off. Just prising my son off the ceiling. Anyone know what Hamburg's like for pubs?

trainman
18-03-2010, 22:20
Anyone know what Hamburg's like for pubs?
Nope, but we know a lehrer who might Mm...
Presume there may be some Beatles tours & stuff out there too?

Maldenman
10-04-2010, 21:36
Nice one Tamworth , eh Hoppy, livens it up a bit. We could get a decent turnout against Stevenage now.

As for Fulham, this miserable sod can't believe it!

hopwas
10-04-2010, 21:50
Nice one Tamworth , eh Hoppy, livens it up a bit. We could get a decent turnout against Stevenage now.

As for Fulham, this miserable sod can't believe it!

Cheers! Official away attendance was 1,457 while home was rather pathetic 797. At least we got an unexpected draw. Stevenage are on red hot form at the moment so I know you will find very difficult against them.

Fulham? Sorry I don't do Premier League..

Maldenman
10-04-2010, 22:12
Fulham? Sorry I don't do Premier League..

Neither do I mate but my boy is Fulham through and through, it could be a lot worse! Problem I have is that they are having an unprecedented season and my usual trips consisting of the likes of Wigan, Blackburn, Burnley etc have been rather countered by unexpected games in the Europa League. We've done all the homes except Juventus, sold out, but what do I do if they beat Hamburg!! Can't let the lad down, oh dear, dilemma of all dilemmas.

hopwas
10-04-2010, 22:17
Neither do I mate but my boy is Fulham through and through, it could be a lot worse! Problem I have is that they are having an unprecedented season and my usual trips consisting of the likes of Wigan, Blackburn, Burnley etc have been rather countered by unexpected games in the Europa League. We've done all the homes except Juventus, sold out, but what do I do if they beat Hamburg!! Can't let the lad down, oh dear, dilemma of all dilemmas.

Don't you realise you may meet not-so-mighty Liverpool in Final. Where is the final will be held?

Maldenman
10-04-2010, 22:23
Final is in Hamburg, so the semi will be a dress rehearsal. It's not "you" though mate, it's the lad's team. If Alty were playing a hypothetical meaningless game nearby he wouldn't be going!

hopwas
10-04-2010, 22:29
Final is in Hamburg, so the semi will be a dress rehearsal. It's not "you" though mate, it's the lad's team. If Alty were playing a hypothetical meaningless game nearby he wouldn't be going!

Oopps! i mean your lad! Forgive me, my friend. It's your hometown where it counts (Althrough I was born in Birmingham, Tamworth is where I was raised and lived all my life) It annoys me to see little kids wearing Chelsea's, Man Utd's, Liverpool's shirt where they should support local team..

Maldenman
10-04-2010, 22:48
Mainly Fulham and AFC Wimbledon around here. There were are lot of Chelsea at one time but myself and the lad have picked most of them off through the loft window....:whistle:

RogerB
11-04-2010, 08:20
After an unbelievable day yesterday when the Darts clinched the Rymans championship by winning 6-2 at 2nd place Kingstonian, its off to Wemberleeeeey this afternoon for part 2 of one hell of a footy weekend. Not sure we'll be allowed to run onto the pitch for a party afterwards today though.

Maldenman
11-04-2010, 08:46
Congratulations to Dartford, glad to see them on the way back up. Hopefully another southern game in a season or two. Looks like the Darts may have a local derby with Ebbsfleet next season, not looking too good for them.

RogerB
11-04-2010, 08:58
Looks like the Darts may have a local derby with Ebbsfleet next season,

..as well as Welling, Bromley, Grays and Thurrock and possibly the old foe, Le Dovre if they don't get through theplay offs. We'll be reacquainting ourselves with a few local teams! Looking forward to some good long beer/footy weekends next season - Bath, Dorchester and Worcester on the map and St Albans, always good for a session. Shame Newport County have been promoted - I fancied us in Europe. :D

HTM69
11-04-2010, 12:35
Congratulations to Dartford, glad to see them on the way back up. Hopefully another southern game in a season or two. Looks like the Darts may have a local derby with Ebbsfleet next season, not looking too good for them.

Yes, congratulations to the Darts for a sterling effort this season and getting themselves promoted. It’s just a shame that my two visits to Princes Park have seen a 1-1 draw and 1-0 defeat! – to bloody Margate!!

Oggwyn Trench
11-04-2010, 14:15
..as well as Welling, Bromley, Grays and Thurrock and possibly the old foe, Le Dovre if they don't get through theplay offs. We'll be reacquainting ourselves with a few local teams! Looking forward to some good long beer/footy weekends next season - Bath, Dorchester and Worcester on the map and St Albans, always good for a session. Shame Newport County have been promoted - I fancied us in Europe. :D

Thats if Worcester are still in buisness , thet had to sell the ground to pay off £1.5 million in debts just to secure there short term future , lots of dodgy dealings by former chairman from what i hear

Maldenman
11-04-2010, 20:13
I didn't know Worcester had joined the clubs in peril ranks. Too many moneybags fools have got involved in non league football, the car crash that is the conference AGM each year shows this all too well. Good luck to Worcester City, an old adversery.

Maldenman
11-04-2010, 20:29
I went for a walk yesterday part of which was along the Grand Union Canal near Brentford. I passed some pitches near Osterley Lock when suddenly a ball flew over and straight into the canal. Suddenly a rather fat middle aged bloke burst through the hedge, waving a massive fishing catch net and retrieved the ball to shouts of "hurry Up XXXXX" from the adjacent pitch. Two minutes earlier it was total peace and I even saw a kingfisher flash past. It was a bit of a Little Britain moment.

Oggwyn Trench
11-04-2010, 21:15
I didn't know Worcester had joined the clubs in peril ranks. Too many moneybags fools have got involved in non league football, the car crash that is the conference AGM each year shows this all too well. Good luck to Worcester City, an old adversery.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/local/6242731.City_FC_were_24hrs_from_disaster/ this might give you a clue to whats been going on , apparently not even the supporters trust knew

Maldenman
12-04-2010, 07:37
It will be a shame to see St Georges Lane go, a proper atmospheric old ground. Hopefully the new ground will get built and will have some individuality unlike most new identikit grounds.

RogerB
12-04-2010, 09:20
Time to rebrand the thread as "We're all p*ssed off we're not going to Wemberley".:(

Life sometimes comes round to one on the bum. After the highs of Saturday, the lows of Sunday. The best chance we ever had of Chas N Dave reforming has now gone, perhaps for ever.:eek:

Farway
12-04-2010, 13:17
Time to rebrand the thread as "We're all p*ssed off we're not going to Wemberley".:(

Life sometimes comes round to one on the bum. After the highs of Saturday, the lows of Sunday. The best chance we ever had of Chas N Dave reforming has now gone, perhaps for ever.:eek:

Lows, what lows? Pompey 2, Spurs & Harry Rednap 0, great result all round :D

Evil Gazebo
12-04-2010, 15:03
Pompey 2, Spurs & Harry Rednap 0, great result all round :D

The unexpected beneficiaries from this could be whoever finishes 7th in the Premiership, because my understanding is that Portsmouth won't be allowed to compete in Europe next season, even if they beat Chelsea in the final.

RogerB
12-04-2010, 15:16
The unexpected beneficiaries from this could be whoever finishes 7th in the Premiership, because my understanding is that Portsmouth won't be allowed to compete in Europe next season, even if they beat Chelsea in the final.

That'll be Spurs then!

Delboy20
12-04-2010, 19:58

I'll agree with the new name for this thread...
2 trips to Wembley for me and 2 defeats. All I have to show for it is an empty wallet and a couple of hangovers !!
Still, I did have another good day out - maybe next season..

Cheers,

Del.

Maldenman
12-04-2010, 20:49
..as well as Welling, Bromley, Grays and Thurrock and possibly the old foe, Le Dovre if they don't get through theplay offs.

Hmm, possibly not Grays then Roger, this from the Alty official site.

BSP NEWS
Grays Athletic vice-chairman Andy Swallow confirmed to the NL Paper that the club faces administration and a drop to the Ryman. He said, "We're looking at the Ryman Premier if we can stabilise over the summer". Also the NLP says that the club "have been evicted from The Rec [their ground] after more than 100 years... It has been sold by the landlords for housing. Mr Swallow added, 'We're likely to go into administration in the very near future. That's a formality as we don't have a penny. We will play our last game at the Rec. on April 24. To be honest, I think the Ryman is where we belong'"

Shame, nice club, friendly people and two great pubs in The White Hart and Theobalds Arms.

Conrad
29-04-2010, 22:53
Hope you are feeling flush MM.

Maldenman
30-04-2010, 00:26
Ha ha, nice call Conrad. Not long back actually, what a night down there it was. The Cottage can be a bit stuffy and sleepy at times but it was a-rockin' tonight. The lad and his mate were ecstatic and bouncing around all over. There is definitely a feeling of destiny about this campaign.

As most know I'm not a Fulham fan myself, just take my son along, but you couldn't help but get wrapped up in that tonight. Great night.

Conrad
30-04-2010, 13:39
Fantastic result, at least we can have some English interest in Europe still.

RogerB
30-04-2010, 13:43
Could they become the first team to win a European Trophy having never won a domestic one? A potential future quiz question!