PDA

View Full Version : Pub Of The Month - October 2011

ROBCamra
07-10-2011, 14:02
For some reason this thread simply isn't very popular. Strange as we all visit so many pubs.

It may have to die through lack of interest soon. :(

Anybody got any ideas to to liven it up?

I think I'll try and post on this thread each time I find a new pub that I'm pretty impressed with or one I revisit after a decent gap.

That way there will be updates fairly regularly rather than just at the end of the month if others do the same.

ROBCamra
03-11-2011, 13:47
My POTM for October is going to be Town Wall (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/75211/)

They've made a great job of saving and restoring a Grade II listed building and the ale and food were excellent.

Well done guys. :notworthy:

Pubsignman
03-11-2011, 15:24
Quite a few contenders for POTM this time;

The Red Lion in Leytonstone and White Horse, Parsons Green come out on top for beer choice, the the Hung Drawn and Quartered near Tower Hill had some of the friendliest staff I've ever encountered and the Enigma Tavern in Bletchley gave wonderful views across the adjacent Burger King drive-through. :rolleyes:

In spite of all that, I think I'll nominate the Blythe Hill Tavern in Forest Hill - an unpretentious, traditional local and a great place to spend a few hours over a pint or two of Hophead.

gillhalfpint
04-11-2011, 08:07
I think I find it hard to come up with a pub of the month that comes up to the one that I love local to me, so will use this thread for the best pub in the month I have been away to, and October it was the Gardeners Rest in Sheffield as it is one that never lets me down for variety of choice and standard of beer.

Al 10000
04-11-2011, 11:57
Lots of good pubs done in October in Leicestershire.

My pub of the month goes to the Bulls Head in Stoney Stanton 6 real ales on the bar and the pub still had its original two roomed layout.

trainman
04-11-2011, 12:48
In spite of all that, I think I'll nominate the Blythe Hill Tavern in Forest Hill - an unpretentious, traditional local and a great place to spend a few hours over a pint or two of Hophead.

And the best service I can think of, erm... anywhere!

If you'd been in on 23Oct, you'd have had to put up with a very noisy individual, jumping about & shouting... 6 times! :p

Bucking Fastard
04-11-2011, 13:34
Drifting southwards on the Grand Union ,there were two jewels which were in the running for POTM.The Rising Sun in Berkhamsted is a beautiful little boozer and a must visit but for shere ale quality and lively atmosphere it was pipped by The Sportsman ,Croxley Green (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14741/) .Not obvious from the outside ,but a real gem within.

Currently moored up in Uxbridge and planning to visit Paddington and Tottenham Hale in November ,a month that has already started well with the discovery of a decent pub in Slough:eek:

ROBCamra
04-11-2011, 13:54
a month that has already started well with the discovery of a decent pub in Slough:eek:

Would it by any chance be this one The Rose & Crown (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1870/) ?

If not try it. I worked in Slough for over 2 years :(and it was always the best pub.

If you do go say hello to Rex for me if he's still around. He's Black & White & furry. :)

Thuck Phat
04-11-2011, 14:09
Having accompanied Mr Fastard on his boating trip I'll go for the one he didn't. POTM for me is The Rising Sun in Berkamsted.

Bucking Fastard
04-11-2011, 14:28
Would it by any chance be this one The Rose & Crown (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1870/) ?

If not try it. I worked in Slough for over 2 years :(and it was always the best pub.

If you do go say hello to Rex for me if he's still around. He's Black & White & furry. :)

Correct Rob,I though the Rose and Crown was wonderful and very friendly.Easy to get chatting with locals but no sign of your feline friend.There are a lot of kebab shops nearby;)

ROBCamra
04-11-2011, 14:53
Correct Rob,I though the Rose and Crown was wonderful and very friendly.Easy to get chatting with locals but no sign of your feline friend.There are a lot of kebab shops nearby;)

Canine rather than feline.

I finished in Slough 11 years ago and Rex was probably about 4 then.

I've been back a few times since but not for about 4 years.

He was a rescue dog and had had a hard time of it before being adopted by the pub.

I suspect he's gone to the great boneyard in the sky. :(

Bucking Fastard
04-11-2011, 15:11
I finished in Slough 11 years ago and Rex was probably about 4 then.

I've been back a few times since but not for about 4 years.

He was a rescue dog and had had a hard time of it before being adopted by the pub.

I suspect he's gone to the great boneyard in the sky. :(

No sign of any dog either,but offering a rescue dog a home sounds in keeping with the ethos in the pub,it felt like a village local strangely plonked into Slough High Street.Glad to report that it hasn't changed in your absence.

trainman
09-11-2011, 13:03
POTM for me is The Rising Sun in Berkamsted.

Known locally as The Riser (at least on my visit) and prettily pictured on the cover of GBG 2012.