PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 9th October 2011)

ROBCamra
03-10-2011, 13:28
Millay: Tring XL IPA
Thuck Phat: Vale Gravitas
Oggwyn Trench: Phoenix Black Bee
Quinno: Butts Barbus Barbus
Bucking Fastard: Joules Pale Ale
oldboots: Copper Dragon Summer Creek
gillhalfpint: Yorkshire Heart Traditional Mild
PaulOfHorsham: Kernel Simcoe IPA
Al10000: Blue Monkey BG Sips
aleandhearty: St Austell Proper Black
ROBCamra: Geeves Fully Laden
PubSignMan: Redemption Burnham No 6
Wittenden: Jennings Cumberland
Alesonly: Wharfebank Treacle Toffee Stout

Millay
09-10-2011, 07:22
Unlikely to have any today so this week it's going to be Tring Brewery XL IPA. Brewed to celebrate CAMRA's 40th anniversary (XL = 40) and launched at the St Albans Beer Festival last month.

Thuck Phat
09-10-2011, 11:23
Some good ale this week:
Fullers Red Fox
London Pride
St Austell Tribute
Guiness (to avoid GK IPA)
Rebellion Mutiny
Dark Star American Pale Ale
Vale Gravitas
Oakham Bishops Farewell

The Red Fox, American Pale Ale and, as ever, Bishops Farewell were all excellent but BOTW was Vale Gravitas, a traditional strong bitter at 4.8% which is still light, fresh and subtle enough to absolutely fly down. Dangerously delicious.

Oggwyn Trench
09-10-2011, 12:50
A good variety this week , could get used to this not going to work :D...... back to the grind tomorrow:(

Brakspear - Oxford Gold
Fullers - London Pride
Wood - Shropshire Lad
Milltown - Slubbers Gold
Pictish - Citra
Pictish - Palisade
Pictish - Admiral
Beowulf - Quest
Hobsons - Mild
Empire - Kismet
Woodfordes - Ketts Rebelion
Kalamazoo - Black Silk
Ringwood - Groundhog
Everards - Whakatu
Phoenix - Black Bee
Ruddles - County
Oakham - Bishops - Farewell

BOTW Phoenix - Black Bee a very drinkable porter made with a touch of honey

Quinno
09-10-2011, 13:35
Butts Barbus Barbus at the Nags Head. :drinkup:

Bucking Fastard
09-10-2011, 15:36
Some quality ale has gone down over the last week.Glad to see the return of seasonal Fuller's Red Fox,and the selection at The Riser in Berko was excellent:drinkup:,but my BOTW goes to Joules Pale Ale supped in their tied house The Glebe in Stoke Town after missing a train connection:mad: and having an hour to kill in SoT.

Originally brewed in Stone but discontinued by Bass Charrington in 1970,some enterprising folk bought the trademark and recipies from InBev and started brewing Joules in Market Drayton in 2010.They have got the Pale Ale spot on judging from the pint I had,very subtle with mineral water and a lasting faint bitterness,this is a quaffers pint.Shame I couldn't stay longer.The recipes date back to 1779 according to the GBG,this was a top pint in a top pub.

oldboots
09-10-2011, 18:51
Butts Barbus Barbus at the Nags Head. :drinkup:

A fine beer drunk in a fine pub sir.

My BOTW has to be Copper Dragon Summer Creek bursting with new world hops.

Oggwyn Trench
09-10-2011, 21:17
Some quality ale has gone down over the last week.Glad to see the return of seasonal Fuller's Red Fox,and the selection at The Riser in Berko was excellent:drinkup:,but my BOTW goes to Joules Pale Ale supped in their tied house The Glebe in Stoke Town after missing a train connection:mad: and having an hour to kill in SoT.

Originally brewed in Stone but discontinued by Bass Charrington in 1970,some enterprising folk bought the trademark and recipies from InBev and started brewing Joules in Market Drayton in 2010.They have got the Pale Ale spot on judging from the pint I had,very subtle with mineral water and a lasting faint bitterness,this is a quaffers pint.Shame I couldn't stay longer.The recipes date back to 1779 according to the GBG,this was a top pint in a top pub.

I quite like a pint of Joules , see it a lot around here , reminds me of when Bass was a great pint , with there pubs they are finding the oldest plans for the building and trying to convert the pub back to how it was in times past , no more souless barns , hope they suceed , more info here http://www.joulesbrewery.co.uk/

gillhalfpint
09-10-2011, 21:41
Beers this week were all in Sheffield on Friday. All but the last 4 were in the Gardeners Rest, then 2 at Shakespeare and 2 at Devonshire Cat.

Barneys Dark Ale
Barneys Pale Ale
Black Paw Bishops Best
Bridge House Heathcliff
Bridge House Little Hero
Bridge House Stolers Bitter
Brodies Steam Beer
Coniston Thurstein Pilsner
Junction Light Rale
Junction Der'aled
Southport High Tide
Wentworth Treacle & Oats
Yorkshire Heart Traditional Mild
Hornbeam White Swan
Summer Wine Resistance
White Rose White Lightning
Brew Company Devonshire Cat Pale Ale.

BOTW was Yorkshire Heart Traditional Mild in the Gardeners Rest.

PaulOfHorsham
10-10-2011, 10:29
A festival at The Snowdrop in Lewes showcased some amazing beers. You'd have expected Saison Dupont (on tap) to win it normally, but I'm going with Kernel Simcoe IPA - strong, but proper hoppy.

Al 10000
10-10-2011, 12:02
A tour round some of Nottinghams better pubs on Saturday and all beers tried were very nice.

Blue Monkey - BG Sips
Dancing Duck - Round Heart
Nottingham - Rock bitter
Nottingham - Extra Pale ale
Castle Rock - Harvest Pale
Castle Rock - Tern
Nottingham- Rock mild

My beer of the week goes to Blue Monkey BG Sips tried in the Organ Grinder.

Bucking Fastard
10-10-2011, 12:22
I quite like a pint of Joules , see it a lot around here , reminds me of when Bass was a great pint , with there pubs they are finding the oldest plans for the building and trying to convert the pub back to how it was in
times past , no more souless barns , hope they suceed , more info here http://www.joulesbrewery.co.uk/

Oggy,thanks for that link,it made very interesting reading.I have been impressed with their pub renovations and I too hope this is a big commercial success for them.Coopers Tavern in Burton is close to being my Pub of The Year,and the beer festival I happened across in The Duke of York ,Lichfield was class.Now they have got pubs in Cheswardine,Market Drayton and Whitchurch I can feel a trip up the Shropshire Union coming on:drinkup::drinkup:

aleandhearty
10-10-2011, 12:31
Seem to have tasted quite a few this week, with nipping to my local 'spoons twice for the festival beers:

Hook Norton - Flagship Ale.
Roosters - Last Stand.
Double Maxim - Anderson's Best Scotch.
Woodforde's - Kett's Rebellion.
WharfeBank - Treacle Stout.
Shepherd Neame- Whitsable Bay.
Brain's - Dark.
St Austell - Proper Black.
TSA - Taking The Pith.

Blakemere - Gold.
Great heck - Slaughterhouse Porter.
Rat - Brown Rat.
Vale - Black Beauty.
Goose Eye - Pommie's Revenge.
Fernandes - Ale to the Tsar.
Fernandes - Magnu.
Fernandes - Wheat Beer.

Thought the Proper Black was excellent, easily my BOTW.

Pubsignman
10-10-2011, 13:46
I've been pretty underwhelmed by the JDW festival beers I've tried so far - Hook Norton Flagship Ale is probably the best of an average bunch.

Went to the Grape and Grain (Crystal Palace) Autumn Beer Festival on Friday, which was also a disappointment- the beers on stilage were all too warm and a couple were nearly undrinkable. Those on the bar were pretty good though, the highlights being Westerham Rick's Birthday Bitter and Acorn Gorlovka Imperial Stout.

The best beers this week were found elsewhere - Dark Star APA and Thornbridge Raven were both excellent, but BOTW goes to Redemption Burnham No 6, as enjoyed at the Ravensbourne Arms in Catford. This is the third time I've nominated a Redemption beer for BOTW in recent months - an excellent brewery.

Wittenden
10-10-2011, 21:10
Not really a beer of the week (in fact the only pint taken all week,alas not unusual), but I'd never thought much about Jenning's Cumberland: my notes from last year said that I wasn't excited by it. However, I enjoyed my pint at the Welby Arms, Allington. A good example of a "Northcountry" Best: no hopbomb, but it had that "forward" hopping that I as a southern drinker associate with the dreaded sparkler, and an intriguing malt finish. As our teenagers say, I've 'ad worse...

Alesonly
10-10-2011, 22:02
Best 3 Beers of the week were Vale Long Dark Nights & St Austell Proper Black & Wharfebank Treacle Toffee Stout. I will go for the

For beer of the week I will go for Wharfebank Treacle Toffee Stout as it was Unusual

ROBCamra
11-10-2011, 11:22
I've noticed that now I administer this thread I'm always late in actually replying to it. :confused:

A few decent pints in the JDWs this week with Belhaven St Andrews Ale being very good in the White Hart in Todmorden.

Also in Tod Slightly Foxed Fox Glove was excellent in The Polished Knob.

Back in the Baum Mallinsons TR7 made a strong bid but....

BOTW is going to be Geeves Fully Laden (or Bin Laden as it's been nicknamed) a 6% proper IPA, full bodied and dangerous.

There's been quite a few Geeves on recently at the Baum. He originally started brewing on his narrowboat.

Hence the beer theme is all narrowboat based. All 4 tasted so far have been good with differing styles.

Definitely one to watch out for.

The best new thing to come out of Barnsley for a while. :p

RogerB
11-10-2011, 14:01
Mainly 'Spoons fest beers this week with a close call between the very drinkable for a 5.3%'er Odells 90 Shilling and Roosters Last Stand bot found at the Lord Moon in whitehall with the latter shading it.