PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 2nd October 2011)

ROBCamra
26-09-2011, 13:13
Oggwyn Trench: Thwaites Nutty Black
Quinno: Hook Norton Copper
Al 10000: Peak Ales Bakewell Best
Alesonly: Skinners Betty Stogs
aleandhearty: Fernandes Ale To The Tsar
RogerB: Millis Dartford Wobbler
Bucking Fastard: Red Squirrel London Porter
Paris Hilton: Plain Ales Indulgence
Pubsignman: Oakham Bishop's Farewell
oldboots: Marble No. 5
ROBCamra: Allgates Junga

Oggwyn Trench
02-10-2011, 09:38
Spent a couple of hours in Shrewsbury yesterday then a visit to the Crown in Oakengates for the beer festival which is on all week and has 34 handpulls on the go and i had forgotten all about it :whistle:(off work this week:D)

Marstons - Pedigree
Nelsons - Powder Monkey
Thwaites - Nutty Black
Joules - Blonde
Ringwood - Boondoggle
Phoenix - Monkey Town Mild
Saxon City - Iceni

BOTW Thwaites - Nutty Black

Quinno
02-10-2011, 11:14
A close one between Hook Norton Copper (a copper coloured ale with plenty of big old school flavours) and Binghams Hop Harvest, their first foray into a light zesty ale, both at The Nags Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1691/)

Hook Norton shades it.

Al 10000
02-10-2011, 13:19
A great day out yesterday in Bakewell and Matlock Bath with the good wife,we tried several good beers some more than once.

Ashover - Hydro
Ashover - Golden Valley Ale
Peak Ales - Bakewell Best
Peak Ales - Chatsworth Gold
Peak Ales - Swift Nick
Bradfield - Farmers Blonde
Brunswick - White Feather
Banks's - Banks's bitter
Marstons - Pedigree

All the local beers were very drinkable and my beer of the week goes to Peak Ales Bakewell best this was a very nice amber coloured bitter that was quite bitter and very drinkable, this was tired in the Peacock in Bakewell.

Alesonly
02-10-2011, 18:47
Below is the best of Some of this weeks beers I had this week.

Thwaites Nutty Black
J W Lees Hopmeister
Skinners Betty Stogs
Wooden Hand Cornish Buccaneer
Darkstar Hophead
Rudgate Viking

Beer of the Week Is Skinners Betty Stogs

aleandhearty
03-10-2011, 09:42
A pretty average week on the beer front. Either not very exciting, or not in particularly good nick. Tried this week:

Ossett - Green Hop.
Ossett - Blonde.
Fernandes - Ale To The Tsar.
Fernandes - Wakefield Wheat Beer.
Fernandes - Crusade.
Vale - Black Swan.
Rat - Black Rat.
Brentwood - Pacific Pale Ale.

ATTT just shades it from the Black Rat. Once again, another totally underwhelming beer from Brentwood.

RogerB
03-10-2011, 09:58
I only have one brewery that I would describe as truly local, Millis - a tiny brewery that in my exprience doesn't penetrate very far outside North West Kent. Their beers are very hit and miss but my local has had the Dartford Wobbler on for the past few weeks and a fine pint it is. Although not that striong (4.3%) it seems to do what it says on the tin and I always feel wasted the next moring (although a few extra pints to celebrate our North London derby win may have contributed to this mornings effect). Good stuff.

Bucking Fastard
03-10-2011, 14:12
Revisited some favourite real ale pubs last week,The Old Cross Tavern in Hertford supplied a well kept Dark Star American Pale Ale among others,while the Harp was full on Friday evening and had a good selection as always from which my BOTW was Red Squirrel London Porter. It was a hot evening and folk were quaffing the golden ales with gusto,but I found the London Porter equally thirst quenching,although it was washed down afterwards by a few Dark Star Hopheads.

Pubsignman
03-10-2011, 15:21
It's a three-way fight this week between the only interesting beers I managed to find - Thornbridge Sequioa, Oakham Bishop's Farewell and Harvey's Armada Ale.

The Armada Ale in particular was excellent at the Victoria Hotel in Eastbourne, but I'm going to 'do a Thuck Phat' ;) and nominate Oakham Bishop's Farewell as my BOTW. The perfect pint for this unseasonable weather.

oldboots
03-10-2011, 15:33
In spite of a flying visit to the Cask & Kitchen plus some other decent pubs in that Lunnun I found my BOTW in sunny Knaresborough at Blind Jack's who usually have at least one from Marble plus the house beer brewed by them, I haven't had this one before and it was damn good - Marble No5.

Paris_Hilton
03-10-2011, 16:05
Plain Ales Indulgence 5.2%. A dark ruby porter with aromas just like those of the tin of Lyle's Black Treacle that Yer Gran used to put in the christmas cake.

ROBCamra
04-10-2011, 15:00
Fairly peaceful week last week after the delights of Tod Fest last week.

Welbeck Abbey Ernest George was very good in The Baub, but BOTW is going to be Allgates Junga. Crisp, fresh and light but with a bit of body as well. :cheers:

Thuck Phat
07-10-2011, 13:06
The Armada Ale in particular was excellent at the Victoria Hotel in Eastbourne, but I'm going to 'do a Thuck Phat' ;) and nominate Oakham Bishop's Farewell as my BOTW. The perfect pint for this unseasonable weather.

A very fine choice on which I commend you and your excellent taste Mr PSM. I'm glad that it went down well.