PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 25 September 2011)

ROBCamra
20-09-2011, 09:11
trainman: Wentworth Chilli Choc Stout
Wittenden: Orkney Dark Island
PaulOfHorsham: Magic Rock High Wire
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
aleandhearty: Tyne Bank - Southern Star (New Zealand IPA)
ROBCamra: Tyne Bank - Southern Star (New Zealand IPA)
Oggwyn Trench: Brown Cow - Mell-Sheaf Gold
Al 10000: Nottingham Extra Pale Ale
Bucking Fastard: Mordue Autumn Tyne
Pubsignman: Yeovil Lynx Wildcat
Alesonly: Three Castles Knights Porter
RogerB: Keltek King

trainman
25-09-2011, 08:35
Intrigued by John McGraw's description, at Craft Beer Co, of Magic Rock's Curious being 'one of the best beers I've ever tried', I was delighted to find it at the same venue on Friday night, very nice too. I then traded up to High Wire from the same brewery and, after signing over the deeds to the house, managed a second pint. I don't want to consider the relative price that a&h paid in Wakey last week.

My botw, though, goes to a style which I occasionally enjoy as a counterbalance to that hoppy fruity style and, indeed, was supped in halves next to pints of Hophead in Croydon's Green Dragon yesterday - Wentworth (I think) Chilli Choc Stout - slowly warming and rather splendid.

Wittenden
25-09-2011, 09:50
We enjoyed our first Saturday afternoon in the pub for ages-Carpenters Arms, Windsor-no work,kids out, just eating ,drinking and conversation.Good beer choice:the three I tried were OrkneyDark Island,Itchen Valley Godfathers, and a wild card, Mordue Newcastle Coffee Porter.All good stuff.St Austell's new Trelawneys tasted, found it dull. My BOTW-Orkney Dark Island, a lovely dark friuty christmas pudding of an old ale, witha tantalising hint of the unknown sourness of late autumn.

PaulOfHorsham
25-09-2011, 09:55
I've decided to join in this week as, coincidentally, I've also had a pint of Magic Rock High Wire and enjoyed it immensely. The Southampton Arms is somewhat cheaper (though rather gloomier) than Craft, especially for the stronger ales.

Thuck Phat
25-09-2011, 12:18
Nothing as exciting as Magic Rock to sample this week sadly.

Joshua Tetley Nags Head
Crouch Vale Summer Breeze
Triple fff Moondance
St Austell Tribute
St Peters Ruby Red Ale
Oakham Bishops Farewell

All these were in good condition and the Moondance was especially quaffable but BOTW goes to the outstanding Oakham Bishops Farewell in The White Horse, Welton.

aleandhearty
25-09-2011, 12:34
I don't want to consider the relative price that a&h paid in Wakey last week.

...a counterbalance to that hoppy fruity style and

I could be cruel here, but I won't!

I hear what you're saying about counterbalance. I'm a confirmed hophead, but after so many pale beers I have to switch to a stout or porter. Usually, that dark roast malt hit is wonderful.

St Austell's new Trelawneys tasted, found it dull.

Glad it's not just me, I was very disappointed. Could hardly believe it was from the same people who produce Proper Job and Black Prince.

aleandhearty
25-09-2011, 12:58
Apart from an enjoyable leisurely session with Mr & Mrs ROBCamra, yesterday afternoon, at Todmorden Beer Festival, it's been a fairly quiet week. This weeks offerings:

Leeds - Yorkshire Gold.
Leeds - Midnight Bell.
Derwent - Blonde.
Angus Ales - Mashie Niblick.
Kirby Lonsdale - Monumental.
Boggart Hole - Rum Porter.
Tyne Bank - Southern Star (New Zealand IPA)
Box Steam - Derail Ale IPA.
Tryst - Raj IPA.
Red Willow - Ageless Double IPA.

Easy Winner was the Tyne Bank, which had lovely grapefruit and gooseberry flavours from the NZ hops. Rather disappointing were some of the big hitting IPA's, which didn't deliver the flavour you'd expect for their strength, or were rather mawkish.

Oggwyn Trench
25-09-2011, 13:40
Decent day yesterday even the couple of pre-match pints of London Pride out of a plastic glass tasted pretty good

Elland - Digit-ale
Brown Cow - Mell-Sheaf Gold
Empire - Jonah
Cairngorm - Sheepshaggers Gold
Salamander - Winklepicker
Ramsbury - Chalk Stream

BOTW Brown Cow - Mell-Sheaf Gold

Al 10000
25-09-2011, 16:46
I have had quite a few good beers this week mainly on a session around Nottingham city centre.

Nottingham - Rock bitter
Everards - Tiger bitter
Sharpes - Doom Bar
Marstons - Pedigree
Oldershaws - Regal Blonde
Nottingham - Extra Pale Ale
Castle Rock - Harvest Pale
Blue Monkey BG Sips

All of these beers were very nice but my beer of the week goes to Nottingham Extra Pale Ale tried in the Trip to Jerusalem.

Bucking Fastard
26-09-2011, 09:59
After last weeks Man Drinks Lager shock-horror:eek:,normal service was resumed on a slow cruise through Milton Keynes.There was a fair amount of average real ales around,but it was good to see some autumn ales making an appearance and BOTW goes to Mordue Autumn Tyne served in good nick in The Red Lion,Fenny Stratford.

ROBCamra
26-09-2011, 15:58
I'm going to have to agree with A&H this week and go for the Tyne Bank Southern Star.

It was by far the best beer I tasted at the festival (out of quite a few).

Honourary mentions to Goose Eye Chinook tried in the White Hart Todmorden & Saltaire Cascadian Black at the Regal Moon in Rochdale. :cheers:

Pubsignman
26-09-2011, 20:04
Most of my drinking this week was done at an excellent little beer festival run by the Rose and Crown in my home village of Lytchett Matravers in Dorset. Highlights included Exmoor Wildcat, Hop Back Entire Stout and Box Steam Golden Bolt but BOTW goes to a beer from a new brewery to me - Yeovil Lynx Wildcat.

Alesonly
27-09-2011, 00:54
Had A some very good Ales this week best three below hard decision picking the best one of the three below as there all excellent.

Batemans Victory Ale
Conwy Shipwreck IPA
Three Castles Knights Porter

I will go for Three Castles Knights Porter as beer of the week as its a nice dark Ale which is my favourite type.

Brewguru
28-09-2011, 09:35
Most of my drinking this week was done at an excellent little beer festival run by the Rose and Crown in my home village of Lytchett Matravers in Dorset. Highlights included Exmoor Wildcat, Hop Back Entire Stout and Box Steam Golden Bolt but BOTW goes to a beer from a new brewery to me - Yeovil Lynx Wildcat.

The word is spreading ... Yeovil Ales have been around for 5 years or so and are always good beers. A bit hard to find though.

ROBCamra
28-09-2011, 10:27
My botw, though, goes to a style which I occasionally enjoy as a counterbalance to that hoppy fruity style and, indeed, was supped in halves next to pints of Hophead in Croydon's Green Dragon yesterday - Wentworth (I think) Chilli Choc Stout - slowly warming and rather splendid.

Currently on at The Baum and the pint I had last night was very good.:cheers:

Moonraker
28-09-2011, 14:57
St Austell's new Trelawneys tasted, found it dull.

Yes, I had a pint at The Harbour Inn in Porthleven. Hard to believe it comes from St Austell, yet another bland golden coloured ale of which there are many. I believe St Austell brew Dartmoor Best Bitter, which I also found insipid.

RogerB
03-10-2011, 09:54
A week behind as usual. Wasn't the most diverse week but the ailway in Blackheath did muster up a nice pint of Keltek King which was good enough for my nomination!