PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 18 September 2011)

ROBCamra
12-09-2011, 16:30
Thuck Phat: Saddlers Hop Bomb
Oggwyn Trench: Purple Moose Ysgawen
oldboots: Fyne Ales Jarl
rpadam: Tempest Brewing Jocktoberfest
Wittenden: Old Dairy Copper Top
Bucking Fastard: Staropramen :eek::sick: Should have nipped down the parallel street to The Old House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63375/) ;)
Pubsignman: Brodies Amarilla
Evil Gazebo: Thornbridge Jaipur
gillhalfpint: Brass Castle Bad Kitty
ROBCamra: Green Mill Talisman
aleandhearty: Magic Rock High Wire
Alesonly: Burton Bridge Staffordshire Knot
Al 10000: Castle Rock Harvest Pale
RogerB: Youngs Ordinary

Thuck Phat
18-09-2011, 12:34
To choose from:
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Nobbys Guilsborough Gold
Saddlers Hop Bomb
Wetherspoons Red Nectar

The Bishops sampled in the Lawrence Sheriff Wetherspoons in Rugby deserves a mention as it was on offer for £1.65 making it excellent value and top quality with a CAMRA voucher at £1.15. Definitely the quality at value pick of the week. But BOTW goes to Saddlers Hop Bomb. It does what it says on the tin, full of hoppy bitterness and flavour and flies down for a 5% ale.

Oggwyn Trench
18-09-2011, 18:08
Folk and Ale festival yesterday so a decent selection of ale and beards :eek:

Dancing Duck - Gold
Ironbridge - Galaxy
White Horse - Saracen IPA
Purple Moose - Ysgawen
Mortons - Gregorys Gold
Wood - Summer That
Northumberland - Summer Gold

BOTW Purple Moose - Ysgawen very good even by Purple Moose standards :notworthy:

oldboots
18-09-2011, 20:22
Lots of choice mainly from the Midlands but it's a Scottish beer that wins

Fyne Ales Jarl

drank in the wonderful Three Fishes in Shrewsbury.

rpadam
18-09-2011, 22:07
The ultra-rare (with only two casks produced, apparently) Jocktoberfest from the Kelso-based micro Tempest Brewing, sampled on my first visit to the rather good Port Street Beer House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72631/) in Manchester.

Wittenden
18-09-2011, 22:48
A choice between Old Dairy Copper Top, a darkly malty best bitter, and Westerham's Westertham Flyer, a take on an American Steam Beer, whatever that is. Interesting: the hopbines ( US Northern Brewer) clamber malelevantly around your molars. Lager yeast is used , but mercifully it lacks that nasty thin chemical taste that puts me off lager.
On balance both beers were excellent, but my BOTW is Old Dairy Copper Top.

Bucking Fastard
19-09-2011, 11:08
I should hang my head in shame as I was in Sheffield briefly but only managed to head into a bar in West Street and have a Staropramen which by default is my BOTW.I did consume a brew from Oldershaw earlier in the week but this came close to BABOTW and was much worse than the kegged lager mentioned above:sick:

Next boating and boozing trip...hit and hope in Milton Keynes and then trying hard not to look like a vulnerable male in Leighton Buzzard.

Pubsignman
19-09-2011, 11:29
Three strong contenders this week - Hardknott Katalyst (Jolly Butchers, Stoke Newington), Redemption Big Chief (Pineapple, Kentish Town) and Brodies Amarilla (Old Coffee House, Soho).

I've seen quite a few Redemption beers in recent weeks and have been very impressed with them and the Big Chief was no different, but BOTW goes to Brodies Amarilla, which despite having tried numerous Brodies brews over recent years, was a new one on me and ranks as one of their best.

Evil Gazebo
19-09-2011, 12:07
A weekend in Sheffield failed to provide the beer-related opportunities I’d have liked due to pressure of time, but I did get to the Sheffield Tap at the railway station. What a gem that is, and what a rarity compared to facilities at other stations.

Anyway, having gone in for a quick drink, first one train was passed up in favour of another pint, then another then another until I (almost literally) had to drag myself out. It turned out to be for the best; I increasingly find a large intake of alcohol is necessary to insulate oneself from the misery of travelling on Britain’s railways.

BOTW from a very strong field just from the Tap alone is Thornbridge Jaipur, with honourable mentions to the same brewery’s Wild Swan and Alchemy, as well as Marble’s Manchester Bitter, any of which would have won in another week.

gillhalfpint
19-09-2011, 14:13
Looking forward to our Sheffield crawl on Thursday and will certainly be starting in the Tap, and may even finish there too.

Having spent three days at the super York fest, BOTW has to come from there. Brass Castle Bad Kitty 5.5% was our first beer, and whether it was due to being on a clean palate or not, don't know, but it was fantastic. Don't always go for dark beers, but programme states - Chewy chocolate vanilla dream of a porter - and it ended up being voted beer of the festival too. Great beer from a new 2011 brewery.
Banner at the fest stated York Tap due to open November 2011, so a week up there in the caravan to do justice to the pubs is on the cards.

aleandhearty
19-09-2011, 15:07
The good news this week is that I managed to stumble upon a Magic Rock 'Meet The Brewer' session at The Bull & Fairhouse, Wakefield yesterday afternoon. The bad news is the taxi arrived to take the brewery team away, just as I walked through the door! However, I was able to quickly offer some rather gushing praise and state how popular the beers were with those members of PuG who'd tried them.

Tried this week:
Fox Beer Co - Arctic Fox.
Acorn - Barnsley Gold.
Mallinsons - Mount Pleasant Mild.
Roosters - Cheers.
Fyne - Vital Spark.
Elland - Merry Whistle Blower.
Magic Rock - High Wire.
Magic Rock - Rapture.
Magic Rock - Curious.
Magic Rock - Dark Arts.
Wensleydale - Black Dub.
Fernandes - Hop Master.
Fullers - Red Fox.
George Wright - Northern Lights.

The Black Dub and Vital Spark may well have won in an average week, but Magic Rock beers are just outstanding. Very difficult to separate Dark Arts and High Wire, but the latter was on stunning form.

ROBCamra
20-09-2011, 09:09
Very peaceful week this week after our recent trips to Nottingham, Leeds & Sheffield and I've only been in The Baum & the Regal Moon all week.

BOTW is going to go to Green Mill Talisman tried at the Baum, light & hoppy, but not a hopbomb which means I can manage more than one.

George Wright Ecky Thump & Goose Eye Chinook both tried at the Regal Moon get an honourable mention as runners up. :cheers:

Alesonly
21-09-2011, 22:10
Best of only two ales last week very limited choice. BURTON BRIDGE STAFFORDSHIRE KNOT Brown Ale 4.8 abv

Al 10000
22-09-2011, 15:39
I know i am very late but my beer of the week for last week,this was Castle Rock Harvest Pale tried in the Stanhope Arms in Stanton by dale,this was a very drinkable beer so i had a quick four pints.

RogerB
23-09-2011, 14:06
Gonna throw in a surprise here. Since the thread is Beer of the Week and not Best Beer of the Week, I'm going to nominate Young's Ordinary. Yep, you read it right. The reason is that on the Friday I went to see a friends band down the Belvedere Hotel in, er, Belvedere, not a hotbed for pubs at the best of times. My only previous visit was several years ago when I had a ropey pint of Greene King IPA. As you can imagine I wasn't expecting much and the only choice on this occasion was the Youngs Ordinary (there was a reversed Bombardier clip as well). Not exactly a favorite pint of mine and given the quality of Belvedere pubs I was expecting it to be just about drnkable at best but I have to say it was probably the best pint of the stuff I have ever had, and at £2.50 a pint, very reasonable. So that's it. Not the best pint I had all week but certainly the most surprising and well done to the Belvedere Arms. I'll be back in about 10 years.

rpadam
23-09-2011, 20:28
Gonna throw in a surprise here. Since the thread is Beer of the Week and not Best Beer of the Week, I'm going to nominate Young's Ordinary. Yep, you read it right.
Ha - Young's Ordinary was going to be my BOTW too! However, I do enjoy this beer anyway (especially when it's free with a voucher from the Evening Standard and it is being drunk in a relaxed Thames-side pub on a very pleasant late Friday afternoon after a hard week's work...).

Spinko
23-09-2011, 21:37
[QUOTE=aleandhearty;37008]The good news this week is that I managed to stumble upon a Magic Rock 'Meet The Brewer' session at The Bull & Fairhouse, Wakefield yesterday afternoon. The bad news is the taxi arrived to take the brewery team away, just as I walked through the door! However, I was able to quickly offer some rather gushing praise and state how popular the beers were with those members of PuG who'd tried them.

Tried this week:
Fox Beer Co - Arctic Fox.
Acorn - Barnsley Gold.
Mallinsons - Mount Pleasant Mild.
Roosters - Cheers.
Fyne - Vital Spark.
Elland - Merry Whistle Blower.
Magic Rock - High Wire.
Magic Rock - Rapture.
Magic Rock - Curious.
Magic Rock - Dark Arts.
Wensleydale - Black Dub.
Fernandes - Hop Master.
Fullers - Red Fox.
George Wright - Northern Lights.

The Black Dub and Vital Spark may well have won in an average week, but Magic Rock beers are just outstanding. Very difficult to separate Dark Arts and High Wire, but the latter was on stunning form.[/QUOTE

Try their Human Cannonball.

I have never had a different beer where I took a sip and said, wow, that is beer heaven.

Camra wouldn't approve though so I suppose that makes it a bad beer?