PDA

View Full Version : Fullers Pubs - Loyalty Card Scheme

Millay
21-01-2010, 22:17
I wondered if anyone else has come across this. I found it at the Doric Arch Euston, which thankfully is one of the few Fullers pubs where they allow guest beers. I was told that a small number of Fullers pubs are running the same thing, not sure if it is restricted to London.

The deal is a buy 8 get one free which largely just brings the price down to what other pubs charge. You can only use the card in the pub that issues it and for some strange reason you have to declare the name of the beer on the card and you only get it stamped when you buy that beer. Thankfully the Doric Arch has as one of it’s regulars York’s Centurion’s Ghost which is one of my favourites. I’m well on my way to my second free pint which probably explains why I’ve not posted on the forums much this week, I think this is the first night I’ve got home sober. :nishelypished:

Soup Dragon
21-01-2010, 22:40
Fullers are one of my least favourite, sorry to say Millay, so i dont think i will qualify!

Tilly-Miss
22-01-2010, 10:36
Millay keep drinking it tastes better when it is free,and i cannot blame you going home not sober.

aleandhearty
22-01-2010, 13:26
Doric Arch Euston, which thankfully is one of the few Fullers pubs where they allow guest beers.

The deal is a buy 8 get one free which largely just brings the price down to what other pubs charge.

I remember reading that my local brewery Ossett and Fullers had done a reciprocal beer arrangement. Has that dried up then? I still see Pride, ESB and HSB in my Ossett owned local.

If you're used to paying London prices, a trip to the north will see you drinking four pints and getting the fifth one free, card or no card!

ROBCamra
22-01-2010, 13:34
I remember reading that my local brewery Ossett and Fullers had done a reciprocal beer arrangement. Has that dried up then? I still see Pride, ESB and HSB in my Ossett owned local.

If you're used to paying London prices, a trip to the north will see you drinking four pints and getting the fifth one free, card or no card!

Or drink in a Sam Smiths pub in the north and it's buy one get one free! :drinkup::drinkup:

aleandhearty
22-01-2010, 14:01
Or drink in a Sam Smiths pub in the north and it's buy one get one free! :drinkup::drinkup:

:D Yes! Even better (assuming you can (a) drink Sam's, (b) don't mind its ice cold temperature).

Farway
22-01-2010, 14:34
Gales used to do something similar, from memory it was applicable to all Gales pubs, you had to get the card stamped in every pub, one stamp per pub, the more stamps the more prizes, which I have no idea now what they were

Not seen the Fuller's one here [ex Gales houses] which is a pity as HSB is the drink of choice round here, understandably.

Millay
23-01-2010, 13:45
Millay keep drinking it tastes better when it is free,and i cannot blame you going home not sober.

It does indeed taste better when it's free, I picked up my second free pint last night.

I asked about other pubs and was told that the scheme was available to all pubs but as the cost is paid for by the pub and not Fullers not many have taken the option up. With the Doric Arch being more of a drinkers pub that some of the mainstream Fullers outlets I guess they felt it was worth it. Certainly it was packed last night.

Millay
23-01-2010, 13:55

I am just planning a Northern trip for March, although to the other side of the Pennines I'm afraid, Manchester. Hoping that Grailhuner may join me on the way back from Edinburgh where he's staying the previous week. Actually I might fly to Edinburgh myself for a couple of days and get the train down to Manchester. I feel another Blog coming on :cheers: Does PG have a blog facility?

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 13:56
I did get a funny hat from O'Neils for drinking a load of Guiness and having my card stamped. Gave it to the gran kids to play with..it made me feel ill when ever looked at it. I thought the Govt were not in favour of drinking establishments doing this sort of thing in case it encourages drinking. Me , I'm all for it as long as they keep the prices realistic.

Millay
23-01-2010, 14:11
I did get a funny hat from O'Neils for drinking a load of Guiness and having my card stamped. Gave it to the gran kids to play with..it made me feel ill when ever looked at it.
We have to endure that every St Patrick's Day don't we, the 'Twats in Hats' as I refer to them despoiling our town centres with their faux Irish wit. The rest of the year they'll be drinking Fosters or WKD's. Which brings me to a review of Yates in Manchester that I did a few years ago of which I am paticularly proud. If I may be allowed a little self-promotion I have just put it on to PG here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55835/

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 14:20
And have a look whose review was previous to yours. OH the indignity of it being refused entry, my ire lasted all of one second before I said " Right lets go find a proper pub" with much relief.By the way the ONiells manager was a mate so I did not have to go the whole hog to get the hat thank gawd.

Millay
23-01-2010, 14:44
And have a look whose review was previous to yours. OH the indignity of it being refused entry, my ire lasted all of one second before I said " Right lets go find a proper pub" with much relief.By the way the ONiells manager was a mate so I did not have to go the whole hog to get the hat thank gawd.

I hadn't :twigs::twigs:'ed (is that what you use that icon for?) that the other review was yours. Certainly a pub to stay away from and, as you say, many better pubs in the vicinity.

Eddie86
23-01-2010, 14:58
If it's cheap you want, you could buy 3 pints in a :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: and have change for the same price as 1 pint around here!

trainman
23-01-2010, 15:01
If I may be allowed a little self-promotion I have just put it on to PG here
Of course you may, but if I read it right, did you then give it 4 stars?

Soup Dragon
23-01-2010, 15:04
I hadn't :twigs::twigs:'ed (is that what you use that icon for?) that the other review was yours. Certainly a pub to stay away from and, as you say, many better pubs in the vicinity.

Hi Millay

The twig icon was set up by Conrad to sum up anything that was really naff - as he knew how much i hate those 'so called' decorative twigs in pubs with bloody lights on them. You will notice in other threads how OB, Hoppy and the other posters have left little pictures of twigs to take the p*ss!

oldboots
23-01-2010, 15:33
You will notice in other threads how OB, Hoppy and the other posters have left little pictures of twigs to take the p*ss!

Not at all, nothing further from my mind, as if I would ever take the P out of a fellow PuGGer (??). An appreciation

of the cutting edge of pub design is just one facet of my overall love of pubs, can I also just make the point that

twigs are perhaps a modern take on the old custom of hanging a branch outside as a pub sign :p

I know you like them really so here's a couple of old favourites :whistle:

142 143

Millay
23-01-2010, 15:47
Of course you may, but if I read it right, did you then give it 4 stars?
Certainly not. If you hover over the stars it says zero average rating, which was what I gave it. Looking at other pubs it seems that it's only stars that are coloured in that indicate the average rating, it is a bit misleading though.

Hi Millay

The twig icon was set up by Conrad to sum up anything that was really naff - as he knew how much i hate those 'so called' decorative twigs in pubs with bloody lights on them. You will notice in other threads how OB, Hoppy and the other posters have left little pictures of twigs to take the p*ss!
Thanks that makes sense now - I think

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 16:03
I know I shouldnt but I find myself looking for twigs in pubs to photograph now. I get some funny looks but I am used to that.

trainman
23-01-2010, 16:16
Certainly not. If you hover over the stars it says zero average rating, which was what I gave it. Looking at other pubs it seems that it's only stars that are coloured in that indicate the average rating, it is a bit misleading though.

I didn't think so, but no amount of hovering is showing me anything other than 4 yellow(?) stars, Very misleading indeed.

Soup Dragon
23-01-2010, 16:46
Not at all, nothing further from my mind, as if I would ever take the P out of a fellow PuGGer (??). An appreciation

of the cutting edge of pub design is just one facet of my overall love of pubs, can I also just make the point that

twigs are perhaps a modern take on the old custom of hanging a branch outside as a pub sign :p

142 143

I think thats a QED moment

Conrad
23-01-2010, 16:48
I didn't think so, but no amount of hovering is showing me anything other than 4 yellow(?) stars, Very misleading indeed.
We probably hoped when testing it that no pubs would get zero stars :)

I think we will have to live with it for now unless anyone has some bright easy ideas of how to make it clearer (happy to change this if it is easy enough)? Hopefully at some point we will come up with some good ideas for the ratings and more miraculously I may do them ;)

runningdog
23-01-2010, 20:28

Now, c'mon, ob, If the second one's a twig, I'd love to see your idea of a tree..........:whistle::drinkup:

oldboots
24-01-2010, 09:20
Now, c'mon, ob, If the second one's a twig, I'd love to see your idea of a tree..........:whistle::drinkup:

Well you asked for it didn't you? All together now in best Crocodile Dundee style "call that a tree.....

.....now that's a tree"

while finding that one I found this

runningdog
24-01-2010, 11:34
That's all very well, 'ob', but the other one deffo t'wern't a twig..........:cheers:

oldboots
24-01-2010, 12:35
That's all very well, 'ob', but the other one deffo t'wern't a twig..........:cheers:

it is compared to a Giant Redwood, besides I'm not so sure I called it a twig, "old favourite" or "this beauty" if memoery serves.

Now then, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

runningdog
24-01-2010, 18:51
"oldboots;5460 Now then, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

Tricky that, depends on there being angels to dance in the first place..........

arwkrite
24-01-2010, 23:31
I remember studying angels in trigonometry at school so they must exist. Did not realise they could dance though. Mine sat on the paper looking either acute or obtuse.Recalling Eddies reply the answer must be 42 as long as catch 22 does not apply. This is what happens when I allow myself to sober up. Try not to let happen to often.

Conrad
25-01-2010, 11:54
Ark,

You are getting your History mixed up with your Theology again, whilst I can remember Silly Old Hitler Caused Awful Headaches To Our Airmen it had no angels in it.

arwkrite
25-01-2010, 12:14
Honest Conrad I had a Square Protractor and you could use it to draw angels. Or were Angels the mates of the Saxons wot came here after the Romans had done there Wini, Widi ,Wici bit and gone home. May be Morrismen are the descendants of these Angels who danced on Pinheads. Who were the Pinheads? Perhaps a long lost distinct race who failed to adapt to Shephard Neme brewing practices. Aint Knowledge wonderfull. I thank my parents for letting me go to school instead of sending me up sooty chimneys like they did with my sisters.They told them it was a chance to go up in the world (Groan)

Farway
25-01-2010, 13:43
May be Morrismen are the descendants of these Angels who danced on Pinheads.

Herewith Morris men, not dancing on pinheads but near HMS Warrior

runningdog
29-01-2010, 18:10
Herewith Morris men, not dancing on pinheads but near HMS Warrior

I don't do Morris Men anymore. Mayhap I should rephrase that. Nah, cain't be bothered. They're all so bluidy cheerful and they all want me to chuck good money into a tin, and/or, buy 'em a drink. Have you ever noticed you can never get into a pub when they're about, shouldn't be allowed....:rolleyes:...:drinkup:

oldboots
29-01-2010, 19:05
Have you ever noticed you can never get into a pub when they're about, shouldn't be allowed....:rolleyes:...:drinkup:

They always head straight for the strongest ale on tap as well.................

Eddie86
29-01-2010, 22:29
They always head straight for the strongest ale on tap as well.................

And those tankards that they use hold more than a pint - about 1.5 if memory serves me correctly!

arwkrite
29-01-2010, 22:41
I find a small group of "elitist" folkies during the Bromyard Folk Festival carry such tin pots. We are also over run with Morris Dancers. OK the tourists like it but it don't do a thing for me.Its a bit like that Irish step dancing boring unless its done by a pretty girl with long legs covered in black nylon tights and a short skirt.Aaahhhhh.:)

Oggwyn Trench
30-01-2010, 08:52
I find a small group of "elitist" folkies during the Bromyard Folk Festival carry such tin pots. We are also over run with Morris Dancers. OK the tourists like it but it don't do a thing for me.Its a bit like that Irish step dancing boring unless its done by a pretty girl with long legs covered in black nylon tights and a short skirt.Aaahhhhh.:)

Quick nurse the tablets !!!

Eddie86
30-01-2010, 09:31
Nurse says we're out of tablets, but here's a brand new bottle of HPA from Wye Valley...

arwkrite
30-01-2010, 12:10
Just say Arwkrite went with a dreamy smile on his face....

oldboots
30-01-2010, 18:27
Spotted these today, CURLY twigs,

where do you stand on curly twigs Soupy? :whistle:

Oggwyn Trench
30-01-2010, 23:24
Spotted these today, CURLY twigs,

where do you stand on curly twigs Soupy? :whistle:

Waste of time asking him today , he will be in the White Horse with a pint of Bankss Mild (wishing it was Bathams) dreaming about the Railwaymans

runningdog
31-01-2010, 20:57
We are also over run with Morris Dancers.

You don't know over run with Morris folk until you do the Wimborne Folk Festival. Out of the cricket ground, past the Cricketers, all along East Street, up the High Street, round the Square, along East Borough, then it's Hanham Road and back to Park Lane and the cricket ground. Solid, back to back, no gaps. Then, when the first lot have got back, the queue to get started is still back to the coaches.
Bluidy incredible. but they won't be doin it anymore, the Cricket Ground is building site, soon to be a SuperMarket. Bluidy shame, apart from the Minster, the ground, in the middle of town, was the only touch of character Wimborne had.:mad::moremad:
Perhaps they'll change the Cricketers to the SuperMart Arms:moremad:
I feel a Peculiar Beast coming on:drinkup::drinkup::nishelypished:

Conrad
31-01-2010, 21:27
I ended up in Christchurch during part of the festival last year. Wall to wall morris dancers, I quite enjoyed it, far more fun than most of the busking and antics I normally see on the streets.

Millay
31-01-2010, 21:45
You don't know over run with Morris folk until you do the Wimborne Folk Festival. ...............Bluidy incredible. but they won't be doin it anymore, the Cricket Ground is building site, soon to be a SuperMarket........ Perhaps they'll change the Cricketers to the SuperMart Arms

That’s a real shame to note runningdog, I remember fondly playing cricket at Wimborne during cricket tours during the 1980’s. We’d also play at Colehill, Weymouth and a little place called Wool near a military camp I think. We stayed at a few places over the years, The Strouden Park, The Albion Wimborne, the Royal Oak Dorchester and the Horton Inn, out in the middle of nowhere. I remember Wimborne Cricket Club well, the pavilion was never that good but the welcome and hospitality was always first class and the cricket was a good standard. I’ve paid a few visits to the Cricketers over the years plus the Rising Sun (?) on the bridge over the river and remember a few encounters with the Morris Dancers. Shame to hear that the cricket ground is being developed but thanks for invoking a few good memories.

arwkrite
31-01-2010, 23:39
The Morris dancers are probably the same groups. Made the mistake of holidaying on the Dorset coast when it was festival time.Where ever you went ,day after day you saw the same dance groups. No place to park ,pubs filled to burstng no where to eat. Last time we made that mistake. We visited in the winter next time. Plenty of room in the pubs then and no Morris dancers.

Soup Dragon
31-01-2010, 23:43
Morris dancers in Dorset? well, here is a line from my review of the Bridge Inn, Topsham (Devon - well, its roughly the same thing, like Walsall and Bloxwich!)

"The interior is a nesting of little rooms, one of which was full of morris dancers, that jingled to look at the new entrant"

arwkrite
01-02-2010, 00:00
:D Brilliant Soupy

Jingle, Jingle

Brilliant.

runningdog
01-02-2010, 01:01
.....thanks for invoking a few good memories.

Small world, ain't it. Trouble is, it changes. The Strouden Park is gone, the Albion is being rebuilt following a serious multi-property fire, the Royal Oak is a JDW, while the Horton Inn is but a shadow that still trades on it's past and little else. I'm happy to say that both the Rising Sun and the Cricketers survive. Both are worth a visit but neither is my kinda place. Here's to good memories:drinkup::drinkup:

Millay
08-04-2010, 22:24

Maybe this is back on, the Doric Arch in Euston put Ossett Big Red on tonight and were pushing it quite heavily.

For any locals they have also got a loyalty card scheme going again, buy 7 get the 8th free.

Farway
10-04-2010, 16:38
I popped into The Ship & Bell, Horndean a few days back, found they operate the Fuller's loyalty scheme, which is good as the HSB is very good there, as it should be as it is next to the old Gales Brewery and if one could not get a decent pint of Horndean Special Bitter in the birthplace of it then it would be a very sad day