PDA

View Full Version : FAO Old Blue

Farway
05-09-2011, 15:25
Hi OB

I have just seen your updates to locations for some Pompey, and other pubs, and am in awe at your dedication & time, but, always a but, I think I will have to dispute some locations in Pompey, not your fault at all, and I am not denigrating your efforts in anyway, I should have "located" the pubs myself yonks ago, but due to slow internet connection have not got round to it

An example is the Stamshaw Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13625/) which is in, as name suggest, Stamshaw & not North End, likewise The Mother Shipton (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13591/)

Plus the The Oliver Twist (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13598/) should be Landport, sort of

Plus http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13541/ is also Stamshaw

I do not wish to go on, but Clarence Pier (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65933/) just is not Central Southsea, it is a mile away, in fact it is nearer Old Portsmouth if anything, I would place this as Southsea West, not that such a place exists of course

My very sincere apologies for mentioning these corrections, I hope you do not take them as some sort of trolling, and I promise, connection allowing, to update & correct the Pompey locations

Old Blue
05-09-2011, 19:50
Thanks Farway, absolutely no problem and certainly no need for you to apologise. I was aware I'd ars£d up some of these, which would need to be redone - sorry if this has caused you distress in the meantime!

To an extent it is because when doing areas in a large town I find it slightly difficult to keep track, because once you put a pub in an area it disappears straight away from the 'pubs without areas' view, but doesn't appear in the view for the area you've put it in until it's been actioned on the system - so if you have a memory as bad as mine it's difficult to correct your own errors as you go along. So I sometimes find it easier to do a first cut, and then come back after they've been actioned in the system to complete the job and correct errors from the first time round. If you are offering to do the completion/snagging then that's absolutely fine with me...

The other and rather more significant reason is that I haven't been there for ages - you obviously know the area much better and if you are happy to sort it out then many thanks.

On your specific points:
Stamshaw - you are right of course, though I think you could also argue that they area also loosely speaking in North End, being just round the corner from North End Grove, etc. Part of my thinking was not to create a too much of a multiplicity of sub-areas. By the same logic you could probably also create Buckland, West Buckland and several other subdivisions which are all technically within the district of Landport. I do think there is an issue about how far it is helpful to subdivide. Buit what you put in train (and I have since mucked up) is I think a lot more meaningful than having them lumped into a 'portsmouth central' as has happened in some other places.

Oliver Twist - isn't Mile End strictly speaking the part of Landport that has its heart at Old Commercial Road? If that is correct then isn't Oliver Twist the only one that is (was) actually in Mile End whereas the others just happen to be around the Mile End Road?

Clarence Pier - yes, I did wonder about this. I thought about Southsea West but these days I try to avoid creating non-existent directional areas as I know it's frowned upon by some, though it can be useful where there's a group of pubs that don't really fit into any other descriptor. If you think it needs its own area then maybe just put it in 'Clarence Pier' area?

Any of the above may of course be wrong somewhere, and as I say, I am very happy to defer to your better knowledge (and let you do the work, if that's what you want to do).

Regards,
OB

Farway
06-09-2011, 14:44
OB Thanks for reply, I know what you mean about sub division, and ref Mile End, it does all get a bit confusing, where to stop & start, Stamshaw could just as easily tip into Tipner as well as North End, but for me North End is the grotty bit with the shops

My only "objection" with having pubs lumped in Southsea Central is that it could confuse strangers looking for a pub in a central location, I think your "Clarence Pier" area is good one though, even if it is only one pub

I tend to defer to Portsmouth Pub News (http://www.portsmouthpubs.org.uk/pubnews.html) for location these days, may as well all sing from same sheet as they say

Old Blue
07-09-2011, 00:56
Cheers Farway, all yours! If you can find a better option than lumping most of southsea into 'southsea central' then so much the better also. I must admit it had defied me completely.

Slightly surprised you weren't in the Bridport area last week, as far as I know. Usually when I travel, sheer coincidence puts you there also..although unlike me you seem to manage to stay off the mother's ruin and the dodgy burgers.

OB

Farway
07-09-2011, 15:59
[QUOTE=Old Blue;36719
Slightly surprised you weren't in the Bridport area last week, as far as I know. Usually when I travel, sheer coincidence puts you there also..although unlike me you seem to manage to stay off the mother's ruin and the dodgy burgers.
OB[/QUOTE]

I am in training for Navy reunion at Shanklin on the Isle of Wight early October, also late October day trips to Lincoln, York & Scarborough, however as I have never been to any of them the camera may take priority to the ale, but the hotel does have a 99p bar, which will almost certainly be keg, but every one has their price, and mine is 99p :cheers:

ROBCamra
07-09-2011, 16:07
late October day trips to Lincoln, York & Scarborough, :cheers:

I'm a regular visitor to all 3 places so if you want any recommendations............... :cheers:

Farway
09-09-2011, 14:32
I'm a regular visitor to all 3 places so if you want any recommendations............... :cheers:

Thanks very much for the offer, but as I am on a daily coach trip to each location, from a hotel in Leeds, I suspect time, and thus pubs, will be quite limited

However a couple in each city / town centre would be useful, even if I am unable to take full advantage of all of them

Al 10000
09-09-2011, 16:52
Thanks very much for the offer, but as I am on a daily coach trip to each location, from a hotel in Leeds, I suspect time, and thus pubs, will be quite limited

However a couple in each city / town centre would be useful, even if I am unable to take full advantage of all of them

Hi Farway,

These are some of the pubs i often visit when in these towns.

Lincoln: If near the cathedral or castle the Strugglers or the Victoria are decent pubs and are very near to each other,if you are at the bottom of the city close to the train station the Treaty of Commerce is a decent down to earth pub.

York: If in the centre of the city the Hamson Cab is a decent Sam Smiths house and if you want somthing a bit different Pivini is worth a try,i also like the three York brewery houses these are all in the tourist areas of York.
On the other side of the river Brigantes is well worth a visit.

Scarborough: One of our favourites if in the south bay is the Golden Ball this is a Sam Smiths tied house and overlooks the harbour.
The best pub in the north bay area is the North Riding.

I hope this is of help to you. :cheers::drinkup:

Farway
10-09-2011, 14:04
Al 10000 Thanks for adding reputation to this user.

Hope I can at least visit some, if not all

Al 10000
12-09-2011, 15:14
Al 10000 Thanks for adding reputation to this user.

Hope I can at least visit some, if not all

Hi Farway,

How have i added reputation to you.

:confused: Alan

Farway
13-09-2011, 15:02
Hi Farway,

How have i added reputation to you.

:confused: Alan

You have not, I added to yours, then I copied & pasted the response I got as a sort of "thanks"

Hope this has un- confused you

Al 10000
13-09-2011, 15:21
You have not, I added to yours, then I copied & pasted the response I got as a sort of "thanks"

Hope this has un- confused you

Yes i am now unconfused.

Thanks for that Farway