PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 11 September 2011)

ROBCamra
05-09-2011, 11:19
Spinko: Acorn Light Ale
Thuck Phat: Marstons Old Empire IPA
Oggwyn Trench: Ossett Mellow Yellow
Bucking Fastard: Everard's Tiger
oldboots: Castle Rock Screech Owl
Wittenden: Old Dairy Blue Top
aleandhearty: Durham Magus
ROBCamra: Abbeydale Hat Glue
Pubsignman: Twickenham Naked Ladies
Alesonly: Hawkshead Brodies Prime
Paris Hilton: Buxton Double Axe Edge IPA
runningdog: Forge Handsome
MJ71: Three Tuns Old Scrooge

Spinko
10-09-2011, 00:36
Tonight had some good ones.

I tried to rememeber them all but clealy I need to start taking notes. Had a couple of good Acorn ones in the Midnight Bell in Leeds, one was Warrior IPA and theother a Light Ale. The Light Ale was the better of the IPA's and properly dialled back. Very quaffable. On next to Punk IPA oin thw Cross Keys, a welcome reminder that Holbeck isn;t just for boring brown beers. Top drawer punk. Then on to Foley's, and as usual it was too warm, as was the beer. This is why I always go for keg in there. Then on to North Bar, which was too busy even to get a spot at the bar. Why do people crowd bar space when there is other space within the venue? Dunno. Had to leave the Flying Dog Centennial I had at £4.50 a pint as it was just too difficult to tackle in the state I was in. Off to Adelphi, ordered a curry on the way then went in for some IPA which wasn't an IPA (seems to be a recurring episode
in the Adelphi now).

Acorn Light Ale from Midnight Bell is my pick

trainman
10-09-2011, 03:57
Off to Ipswich today to sample, amongst others, the delights of the (stellar) Dove Street Inn, Fat Cat and, new to me, St Jude's Brewery Tavern (http://www.stjudesbrewery.co.uk/) and Brewery Tap, but they'll all do well to provide something better than the Rooster's Cheers I tried had last night in the Moon on the Mall. What a shame, I note from their website, that the Rooster's founders are aiming to sell this year.

Thuck Phat
11-09-2011, 11:26
To choose from this week:
Hook Norton Bitter and Old Hooky
Doom Bar
Pedigree
Marstons Old Empire IPA
Everards Tiger
Oakham Bishops Farewell

The Bishops Farewell was, as ever, fantastic and I always forget quite what a good Best Bitter Tiger is but BOTW goes to Marstons Old Empire IPA for being a 5.9% beer which flies down such that you forget the strength until midway through the third!

Oggwyn Trench
11-09-2011, 14:18
Decent night following my pre match London Pride and Wood Shropshire Lad

Abbeydale Sanctuary
Pictish Liberty
Wadworth 6X
Beowulf Chiller
Ossett Mellow Yellow
Mallinsons Dragon

BOTW Ossett Mellow Yellow

ROBCamra
11-09-2011, 15:28
What a shame, I note from their website, that the Rooster's founders are aiming to sell this year.

Yes they are but they're selling the brewery to Market Town Taverns and are then joining the MTT payroll as consultants for 12 months.

It's in safe hands as the people taking over have been brewers at both Copper Dragon & Daleside. :cheers:

Bucking Fastard
11-09-2011, 17:13
A few days boating ,to move away from the restrictions enforced by low reservoirs in parts of the South Midlands,meant a fair selection of beers to choose from and my BOTW goes to Everard's Tiger bought in The Barley Mow,Cosgrove where it is good to see an Everards tied house,especially so close to Milton Keynes.A very reliable Best Bitter ,I have a Tiger pump clip attached to the tiller so maybe I am biased.

oldboots
11-09-2011, 21:18
An excellent week's drinking, notable beers were

Moorhouses Premier Bitter
Dark Star Summer Meltdown
Oakham Citra
Firestone Walker Red Nectar Ale ( a US ale on sale on draught in the local JDW)

but the early leader never dethroned was Castle Rock Screech Owl

Wittenden
11-09-2011, 22:36
Only the one beer this week, an excellent if unexpected pint of Old Dairy Blue Top, a fine example of a Kentish (India) Pale Ale:hoppy and nutty.

aleandhearty
12-09-2011, 09:34
Quiet week for me, with nothing really having the wow factor. Tried:

James & Kirkman - Harvest Gold.
Durham - White Gem.
Durham - Magus.
Marston's - Draught Bass.
Brentwood - Maple Mild.
Brentwood - Summer Virgin.

Easy winner was the Magus. Has anyone else had much experience of Brentwood beers?. They're being featured by Ossett pubs at the moment and having tried four, I find them rather underwhelming to say the least. Is it just me?

ROBCamra
12-09-2011, 10:29
Has anyone else had much experience of Brentwood beers?. They're being featured by Ossett pubs at the moment and having tried four, I find them rather underwhelming to say the least. Is it just me?

We had a couple on at the Baum and we too were underwhelmed.

They phone up almost every week but we haven't ordered any more. :(

Pubsignman
12-09-2011, 10:39
There are a few contenders this week, mostly from a mini crawl of Kingston prior to a gig there on Thursday.
Westerham Viceroy IPA and Roosters Yankee both went down well, but BOTW goes to Twickenham Naked Ladies, tried in the Canbury Arms, Kingston.

ROBCamra
12-09-2011, 11:52
Well a weekend in Sheffield certainly gave me plenty of choice this week.

Welbeck Abbey Henrietta was excellent in the Bankers Draft. Empire Glorious was also very good in Henry's.

Sheffield Blanco Blonde was good in the Gardeners Rest as was Dorset Piddle Silent Slasher in the Kelham Island Tavern.

But BOTW is going to go to Abbeydale Hat Glue tried in the Museum. Light and hoppy but without the very bitter aftertaste that some very hoppy beer have. :cheers:

Alesonly
12-09-2011, 21:46
Only had a few Pints this week KELHAM ISLAND PALE RIDER and HAWKSHEAD BRODIE’S PRIME so I will go for Hawkshead Brodies Prime as Beer of the week.

Hawkshead Brodies Prime

Paris_Hilton
13-09-2011, 13:36
:cheers:

Buxton Double Axe Edge IPA at Somerset CAMRA Real Ale Festival

runningdog
13-09-2011, 20:18
I'm a bit vague this week, it was something from the Forge Brewery, I think, and it may have been called Mr Handsome. ;)But of one thing I am sure, it was bluidy good pint, or two, or mebbe more..........I got:nishelypished: and a lotta stick from 'mrs rd'.

ROBCamra
14-09-2011, 07:57
I'm a bit vague this week, it was something from the Forge Brewery, I think, and it may have been called Mr Handsome. ;)But of one thing I am sure, it was bluidy good pint, or two, or mebbe more..........I got:nishelypished: and a lotta stick from 'mrs rd'.

Forge brew a beer called Handsome and at 5.1% it wouldn't take too many to get you :nishelypished:

hondo
14-09-2011, 08:18
http://www.forgebrewery.co.uk/page2.html

MJ71
14-09-2011, 18:03
Can I nominate Three Tuns 'Old Scrooge' at 6.5% ABV? Not a new beer of course but a very old 'un! I had two halves at Ludlow Food Festival last weekend having only tried it in a bottle previously. What an amazing drink! So much flavour to enjoy.:cheers:

RogerB
23-09-2011, 13:59
I'm playing catch up again. That week was particularly good with a couple of evenings at the Pelton Arms first Beer Festival in Greenwich throwing a few goodies into the bag. Choice of the week was the Castle Rock Black Gold.