PDA

View Full Version : One door opens & another closes

sheffield hatter
01-09-2011, 22:25
I've reported elsewhere the reopening of The Sheaf (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43364/) in Sheffield, now a real ale house called... The Ale House. Also today, the Sheffield Telegraph reports (http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/business/local-business/robin_hood_pub_slips_into_history_after_200_years_ 1_3733662) the permanent closure of the historic Robin Hood (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43340/) in Little Matlock on the edge of Sheffield.

I must admit to only having been in this pub three or four times in the nearly 14 years I've lived in Sheffield, so I clearly share some of the blame for its demise, but it has to be said that it's seriously remote. I went there a couple of years back with some friends of mine from Dunstable who were up here for a visit. We caught the tram to Malin Bridge and set off to walk to the Robin Hood. After about half a mile there was a sign at the side of the road: "This way to the Robin Hood - 800 yards". This was encouraging, as one of my friends was recovering from an operation and wasn't really up to a long walk. After another ten minutes, we saw another sign: "This way to the Robin Hood - 700 yards". :eek: (We weren't walking that slowly.) One of these signs was clearly being economical with the truth. Unfortunately it was the first sign that was the liar. :(

RogerB
02-09-2011, 09:29
Amid the doom and gloom of pub closures there is the occasional bright spark to illuminate the horizon. A newish PubCo called Antic http://www.antic-ltd.com/ are looking to revitalise areas of ale-free London blighted by poor pubs by selecting traditional pubs, some of which are on their last legs, and restoring them back to former glories. I had already noticed improvements on recent visits to some of their pubs (the Dogstar in Brixton being one) without actually knowing anything the company so all power to them - the results of their labours and vision has being noted!

Their latest project is the Red Lion in Leytonstone, formally a South African themed night club called Zulus. They have apparently restored its Victorian splendour and offer a good selection of ales (I know the new Kent brewery have delivered some of their stuff to them which is good enough to make me pay it a visit at some time). A welcome change in trends in an area of numerous pub closures and never exactly a hotbed for decent beers. With the King William IV (home of Brodies beers) and a couple of other reasonable pubs within walking distance, Leytonstone now has something to offer the more discerning drinker.

trainman
03-09-2011, 07:50
http://www.antic-ltd.com/
I've seen the banner for Knowles (West Norwood), & 'Beer Parlour' sounds promising in a relative ale desert

Rex_Rattus
03-09-2011, 21:44
Aah yes, West Norwood. Is a pint of Young's Bitter still the best one can Hope for?

I read somewhere (London Drinker possibly) that when Antic re-open The Greyhound in Sydenham they intend to re-instate the original Victorian tiling that had been removed in the past. Antic are certainly a pub plus factor, but the only slight disappointment for someone like me who likes to start early in the day is that their pubs tend not to open until 4.00 PM

trainman
04-09-2011, 08:47
Aah yes, West Norwood. Is a pint of Young's Bitter still the best one can Hope for?

Generally yes, and £3.35 is way over the odds round here. That said, the Hope had Bath Summer Daze as a guest at £2 on Fri, and London Gold at the same price. A rare but pleasing offer.

RogerB
19-09-2011, 12:21
Antic have just opened another good sounding pub - the former Walkabout (amongst other things) in Battersea has been reopened as the Battersea Mess & Music Hall - 10 ales form "Big Names to Microbrews" according to my Facebook update from them. I feel a trip coming up.

sheffield hatter
20-09-2011, 18:32
The Cricketers Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43108/) opposite Sheffield United's Bramall Lane stadium was an old Stones pub that for many years was a music venue that was allowed to deteriorate, and subsequently seemed to be open only on match days, until finally giving up the ghost a couple of years ago.

It has now reopened, with a lick of paint and looking much smarter, and selling beers from Kelham Island Brewery. It is clearly being aimed at the local student population rather than the football crowd, with special discounts for students, including cask ales at less than £2 a pint. I'll go in for a look around once freshers week is over.

aleandhearty
21-09-2011, 10:40
The Cricketers Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43108/)... has now reopened... I'll go in for a look around once freshers week is over.

I notice the Sheaf View at Heeley is just down the road. Have you ever been? An acquaintance reckons it's the knees of the bee and as good as any of the more famous pubs in the centre. Possible double header?

sheffield hatter
21-09-2011, 20:54
I notice the Sheaf View (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43365/) at Heeley is just down the road. Have you ever been? An acquaintance reckons it's the knees of the bee and as good as any of the more famous pubs in the centre. Possible double header?

Definitely worth a visit. Excellent choice of well-kept beers at reasonable prices. Although it's a bit out of the way, you could certainly combine it with the Cricketers and I would also suggest the White Lion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43455/), for its interesting interior as much as for the beer.

Unfortunately I've not been to either since I started doing reviews here, so you have a chance to be the first.

teninchwheels
23-09-2011, 12:26
Their latest project is the Red Lion in Leytonstone, formally a South African themed night club called Zulus. They have apparently restored its Victorian splendour and offer a good selection of ales (I know the new Kent brewery have delivered some of their stuff to them which is good enough to make me pay it a visit at some time). A welcome change in trends in an area of numerous pub closures and never exactly a hotbed for decent beers. With the King William IV (home of Brodies beers) and a couple of other reasonable pubs within walking distance, Leytonstone now has something to offer the more discerning drinker.

Yes indeed. As a local I can honestly say the Red Lion reopening has been the best thing to happen to Leytonstone in the 9 or so years we've lived here. It's not been restored to its original high Victoriana though - it's all bare bricks and floorboards with architectural salvage. After many careless owners I don't think there was much left to restore.

RogerB
23-09-2011, 12:36
Yes indeed. As a local I can honestly say the Red Lion reopening has been the best thing to happen to Leytonstone in the 9 or so years we've lived here. It's not been restored to its original high Victoriana though - it's all bare bricks and floorboards with architectural salvage. After many careless owners I don't think there was much left to restore.

Firstly welcome to our little cyber pub - always good to see new names coming through the door!

I'm glad the Red Lion has made an impact even if it has lost some of its original spendour. I'm monitoring Antic quite closely - they seem to be doing a great job with pubs in areas that really need someone to try and kick start pub revivals. I look forward to a Red Lion visit myself at some stage.

teninchwheels
23-09-2011, 12:48
Hi, Roger - and thanks for the welcome. I used to post quite a lot on BITE as 'Albert Campion'. I gave up on that site, as many others seem to have.

Antic seem to have something sadly lacking in many chains - imagination and a genuine enthusiasm for what they're doing. The Red Lion is having a 70-odd ale festival in October!

RogerB
23-09-2011, 12:56
I used to post quite a lot on BITE as 'Albert Campion'. I gave up on that site, as many others seem to have.

Antic seem to have something sadly lacking in many chains - imagination and a genuine enthusiasm for what they're doing. The Red Lion is having a 70-odd ale festival in October!

A-Ha! I recall the name well. You'll find several of us "oldies" here in either familiar or not so familiar guises. Looks like an October Red Lion visit is on the cards. Will keep an eye out for the Festival details - I am on the Antic facebook page so I expect I will get a nudge at some stage. Maybe see you there!

aleandhearty
23-09-2011, 13:54
I used to post quite a lot on BITE as 'Albert Campion'.

Hi Albert/ TIW. I'd also like to welcome you to the site. I certainly remember you from the 'dark side' because of your Yorkshire connections. Hope you'll stick around and join the merry throng.

I've just twigged where I recognise your username from.You're on the blogroll of fellow blogger Olthwaite. I've actually dipped into your blog in the past. Well, well.

teninchwheels
23-09-2011, 14:32
Hi A&H,

Ah, it's a small WWWeb alright. And Thanks for visiting me 'umble bog. Need all the visitors I can get!

Rex_Rattus
23-09-2011, 17:43
And a welcome from me as well, Albert/TIW. I seem to recall we debated snob screens some while age.

Anyway, although Antic are generally a good thing, they are not all sweetness and light. There's a good chance that what they've done at the Grade II listed Old Red Lion in Kennington may well be in breach of planning regulations, in that changes have been made without getting listed building consent, or are in excess of whatever consent they may have obtained. It is possible that they will get taken to court by the council, and perhaps of lesser concern to them, CAMRA will probably remove the pub from their Heritage listing.

teninchwheels
23-09-2011, 19:41
Hi Rex - didn't know that. Shameful.

Yes, I recall our debate - The Princess Louise! I'm boycotting Sam Smiths over their treament of the Cropton brewery. I'm sure they're trembling in their boots...

ETA
29-09-2011, 09:25
I'm boycotting Sam Smiths over their treament of the Cropton brewery. I'm sure they're trembling in their boots...

I did the same to Fullers over their treatment of Gales, and their profits went down by almost a pound last year as a result of my direct action. That's consumer power for you.

trainman
29-09-2011, 17:53
Looks like an October Red Lion visit is on the cards. Will keep an eye out for the Festival details

Busy-ish October for me, but if anyone gets info on this, I'd be interested in a visit.

Meanwhile, nearby, according to London drinker, Leyton Orient Supporters Club are hosting a showcase for Marble Brewery tomorrow from 17:00, feee entry.
My attendance is not confirmed but, if I can sneak out of work (yes, you read that right!) at 16:00 & bag a few in William IV beforehand, I may find myself in search of a pint of Pint (nee Janine's One) later on.

RogerB
30-09-2011, 11:11
Busy-ish October for me, but if anyone gets info on this, I'd be interested in a visit.

My Facebook man from Antic tells me that he is in the process of building the pub's web site so should be running shortly. According to the pub's Facebook page, they mention 10 October for the beer festival. How long it lasts or what is on offer I don't know but I'll update as I find out. They are doing a £2 ale every day until then, today's is Truman's Runner.

I will be visiting my first Antic pub tonight - the Battersea Mess & Music Hall. Will be interesting to see how good they are. Always the Falcon at Clapham Junction just down the road to fall back on!

RogerB
30-09-2011, 12:11
How long it lasts or what is on offer I don't know but I'll update as I find out.

Got this from the pub...

"Hi Roger, we have over 70 ales and 10 ciders and will be running the festival over 2 weeks starting from the 10th October. I've had to make a few changes to the cask line up due to issues with brewing times from some breweries.... Some breweries featured inc Summer Wine, Bristol Beer Factory, Darkstar, Grain, Hopback, Summerskills, Bath Ales, B&T, Fat Cat, Wolf Brewery, Green Jack....plus many more!".

He will be sending me a full list shortly but it sounds good. If anyone is interested in a meet up then maybe we should start a specific new thread and synchronise a date.

trainman
30-09-2011, 12:41
Always the Falcon at Clapham Junction just down the road to fall back on!

Yep, still good, although the price went up 40p after the invisible 'refurb'.

the Battersea Mess & Music Hall. Will be interesting to see how good they are

Another I'll keep an interested eye on...

Gann
30-09-2011, 12:45
He will be sending me a full list shortly but it sounds good. If anyone is interested in a meet up then maybe we should start a specific new thread and synchronise a date.

I'm up for that. Could make it an impromptu London meet up as a practice before the 2011 PuG meet.
I can't make the first week but early in the second week would be OK.

Pubsignman
30-09-2011, 13:56
I'd be up for an October London meet-up, especially as it looks almost certain that I won't be able to make Nottigham.

sheffield hatter
30-09-2011, 14:00
I can honestly say the Red Lion reopening has been the best thing to happen to Leytonstone in the 9 or so years we've lived here.

I've been following this thread with interest, but struggled to find the pub. Is it this one (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25139/)? It seems to be fairly close to Leytonstone tube, so I've added it to the Leytonstone area. I'm in London w/c 17 October, so if anyone's planning to meet, please let me know.

Cheers

RogerB
30-09-2011, 14:00
I'd be up for an October London meet-up, especially as it looks almost certain that I won't be able to make Nottigham.

See... one door opens and another closes. That's the thread gone full circle.

trainman
01-10-2011, 12:46
Leyton Orient Supporters Club are hosting a showcase for Marble Brewery tomorrow from 17:00, a few in William IV beforehand, I may find myself in search of a pint of Pint (nee Janine's One) later on.

Well, I made it, but the Pint wasn't as special as my memory suggested it should have been, maybe struggling against the several halves of 7.8% Porter at the preceding William IV. Failed to schmooze a free sarnie from the sad looking remnants on the LOSC bar and they sent someone after me when I wandered off with it for a laugh. Oh dear...

Aiming for Bank, I woke up at Hanger Lane. Plus ca change...

Farway
01-10-2011, 15:08
I did the same to Fullers over their treatment of Gales, and their profits went down by almost a pound last year as a result of my direct action. That's consumer power for you.

Around here no chance of boycotting Fuller's [this is Gales ex homeland BTW], so I can choose Marston's or Fuller's more or less, that is until the JDW opens in November, which may or may not be good

To be fair my local Gales / Fuller's (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14107/) is a good pub