PDA

View Full Version : Chatter

Pages : [1] 2 3

aleandhearty
20-01-2010, 19:27
And with BITE having a fresh meltdown today, I think there may be a few more on the way!

I popped my head over the parapet earlier today and it made rather gloomy reading. I hope i'm not tempting fate by mentioning the 't' word, but the migration of all the good contributors is finite and sooner or later we're going to get some socially inadequate 's**t-for-brains' intent on stirring things up. Hopefully Conrad's contingency plan is a good one.

Actually we had 12 on other night.. surely new record?
I think the site is just great at the moment. I'm really enjoying it. Love the banter on the forums and the listings and reviews are really starting to take off. Well done Conrad and Dave.

hopwas
20-01-2010, 19:32
Bilmey! Whats went wrong with BITE? I seldomly browsing their site and their layout is bit too confusing for me. I much prefer this one.. much easier, pity about 'post town' farce.. :whistle:

Just occured me that I must be only PG regular on here that never been BITE member..

Conrad
20-01-2010, 19:37
I popped my head over the parapet earlier today and it made rather gloomy reading. I hope i'm not tempting fate by mentioning the 't' word, but the migration of all the good contributors is finite and sooner or later we're going to get some socially inadequate 's**t-for-brains' intent on stirring things up. Hopefully Conrad's contingency plan is a good one.
This is an oft debated point between me and Dave, I am afraid there is a limit to what we can do - but we will do our best, if only because I don't want my experience here ruined either.

We'll chat about it more as it becomes an issue, but the early barriers are that you can just ignore members (as in set it so you don't see their posts) who are annoying to you. Where someone clearly crosses the line they will be banned, and we will do our best to fend off multiple registrations, there are some tools at our disposal to do that.

I think that where I have seen communities work though it is because they have made it difficult enough that the trolls don't swarm, what has happened over at BITE is just mad. Whilst I am in flow as well, we wont be setting up a private forum for post counts, that just prohibits new blood. No problem with private zones, but the qualifier should make sense.

Soup Dragon
20-01-2010, 19:44
You led Soupy , we followed

Only as far as the White Horse, Oggy;)

Conrad
20-01-2010, 19:45
Bilmey! Whats went wrong with BITE? I seldomly browsing their site and their layout is bit too confusing for me. I much prefer this one.. much easier, pity about 'post town' farce.. :whistle:

Just occured me that I must be only PG regular on here that never been BITE member..
Not quite, there are a few. FILO and Tilly-Miss spring to mind as not being mega contributors to BITE (possibly never) and bzylzy defected a long time back. That is just off the top of my head.

I think we are running out of BITE refugees slowly, so hopefully going forward there will be a lot more as well, as I would like to see this place flourish.

hopwas
20-01-2010, 19:51
Not quite, there are a few. FILO and Tilly-Miss spring to mind as not being mega contributors to BITE (possibly never) and bzylzy defected a long time back. That is just off the top of my head.

I think we are running out of BITE refugees slowly, so hopefully going forward there will be a lot more as well, as I would like to see this place flourish.

Oh FILO.. whatever happened to him, he was regular poster until for some reason he disappeared. Never mind.. he seems quite nice bloke.

I remember when I first joined PG nearly 3 years ago (didn't realise that is quick! Seems only yesterday) We would be lucky to get just one post in a day. Now we get well excess of 100, it is very promising look for PG.

Oh I got an idea, if you want to take this to next level, why not you advertise your website in CAMRA mags, newspapers and beer/pubs blogs. Just an idea.

aleandhearty
20-01-2010, 19:52
we wont be setting up a private forum for post counts, that just prohibits new blood. No problem with private zones, but the qualifier should make sense.

I think you're right. I must admit I cautiously welcomed the idea initially, but I think it became counter- productive. Instead of there being a hassle free zone to diiscuss a wide range of topics, essentially it just became a place to bitch about contributions outside the private forum.

Conrad
20-01-2010, 20:42
Oh I got an idea, if you want to take this to next level, why not you advertise your website in CAMRA mags, newspapers and beer/pubs blogs. Just an idea.
It is a good idea, that costs money :). Before we do that though we want to be in a slightly more robust position site wise. Hopefully the site is easy enough for you to use, but we want to make it so that we can manage it a little more easily from our end, and also so that we have something to sell the publicans so we can make more out of having more visitors.

There are some really cool ideas that have been floated, the McGraw's came up with a stormer, basically we get business cards made up to promote ourselves and then give them out to members who can leave them in pubs if they like, which is really low cost for us, and hopefully some of the members would enjoy it.

RogerB
20-01-2010, 20:56
can Gill 1/2 and John Bonser be far behind?

I actually PM'd both of them to make them aware of this Forum. I'd like to think they will sign up in due course. I think John will continue his reviews for BITE but hopefully will join in the PG Forum once he has brushed up on his Star Trek trivia.

runningdog
20-01-2010, 21:01
I actually PM'd both of them to make them aware of this Forum. I'd like to think they will sign up in due course. I think John will continue his reviews for BITE but hopefully will join in the PG Forum once he has brushed up on his Star Trek trivia.

'winchester club' is another I'd like to see..........

RogerB
20-01-2010, 21:06
Latest BITE posting by Gill 1/2 Pt doesn't look too promising. I wish her well - she's got a great attitude to life! :(

RogerB
20-01-2010, 22:04
Latest BITE posting by Gill 1/2 Pt doesn't look too promising. I wish her well - she's got a great attitude to life! :(

I take it back - I've had a message and she's comin' over. :):):)

arwkrite
20-01-2010, 22:09
:)Great to have Gill here. A traveller around G.B with knowledge of pubs and beer few of us can match.

RogerB
20-01-2010, 23:05
...and it looks like Manky Badger is also on his way. Not heard from John Bonser :notworthy: yet though. I should have been a recruitment consultant!! BITE is really having a bad day although I don't get much satisfaction from saying it.

Eddie86
20-01-2010, 23:39
It is a good idea, that costs money :). Before we do that though we want to be in a slightly more robust position site wise. Hopefully the site is easy enough for you to use, but we want to make it so that we can manage it a little more easily from our end, and also so that we have something to sell the publicans so we can make more out of having more visitors.

There are some really cool ideas that have been floated, the McGraw's came up with a stormer, basically we get business cards made up to promote ourselves and then give them out to members who can leave them in pubs if they like, which is really low cost for us, and hopefully some of the members would enjoy it.

I personally use vistaprint.com - they have a little advert in tiny writing on the back, and you get your business cards for free! Or you can pay to have their advert taken of, it's worth a look at. A great idea by the way - tag line could be 'rate this pub at pubsgalore.com'

Soup Dragon
21-01-2010, 00:12

it could have "You've just been rated on PG" - or personal ones - "You've just been Souped!"

oldboots
21-01-2010, 08:32
...and it looks like Manky Badger is also on his way. Not heard from John Bonser :notworthy: yet though.

So that leaves:
Rex Rattus
Maldenman
Trenchlad
Trains2064
DrinkDougalDrink :eek:
ETA
Ales Only
Strongers
DPV
Carlurmston
Lad Newton
Winchester Club
TiaMariaJim
Have I missed anyone else sensible? The next goal is 50 active users.

Of course some may be here already but hiding

trainman
21-01-2010, 08:37
basically we get business cards made up to promote ourselves and then give them out to members who can leave them in pubs if they like, which is really low cost for us, and hopefully some of the members would enjoy it.
Yes, and it would be good for the site in that the cards would presumably only be left in pubs that members actually liked, therefore encouraging positive reviews. That does provide a slight downside, in that poor pubs may not be noted as such (apart from the member's review, hopefully), and also that the card may well end up behind the bar with the risk that the owner/manager/staff all write glowing reports, regardless of the pub's actual merits.
That said, the site is in desperate need of some review coverage, which is very weak indeed, so anything to kick-start contributions from other than forum members (whose offerings, I should say in deference, will usually be the most reliable), must be a good thing.
As with any expanded coverage, PG will then be likely to attract a small proportion of spoilers, but I'm sure Conrad is ready & waiting with his .22 for the duck-shoot. There's an unmissably aggravating style that Biters will recognise, & we'll be happy to alert you to definite & possible culprits. Btw, Conrad, have you the facility to ban an IP address? If so, have you ever used it, was it successful in any degree in removing serial spoiler ids?

trainman
21-01-2010, 08:38
"You've just been Souped!"
Well, it beats ''You've just been archived!''

trainman
21-01-2010, 08:40
The next goal is 50 active users.

Are you on commission ob?

oldboots
21-01-2010, 08:48
Are you on commission ob?

if only....

a lively forum hopefully keeps people coming to the site and maybe encourages them to contribute reviews. I agree with your comments that we need more reviews, some areas are very lightly covered, and that forum contributors are likely to be trustworthy reviewers.

RogerB
21-01-2010, 08:51
So that leaves:
Trenchlad

He's already here in disguise isn't he.

RogerB
21-01-2010, 08:57
So that leaves:
Have I missed anyone else sensible? The next goal is 50 active users.

Of course some may be here already but hiding

There was poor old Grailhunter who never made it behind closed doors! Also Silk Tork - a beer expert if ever there was one. A few that disappeared from the initial meltdown a few months ago - Sussex Red, Alph River & Kake (we a few of the fairer sex to keep things in order).

oldboots
21-01-2010, 09:02

whoops, sorry lad. spookily enough I'm just looking at a story in this weeks Private Eye called "Dementia: same old story"

RogerB
21-01-2010, 09:28
whoops, sorry lad. spookily enough I'm just looking at a story in this weeks Private Eye called "Dementia: same old story"

There's an article in this weeks Private Eye called Dementia: same old story. You should try reading it.

Conrad
21-01-2010, 09:38
The Your Favourite thread has gone a little more off track than usual.

As it is a sticky thread and given the nature of the chat I am going to merge all the BITE posts into this thread to try and make things a little clearer.

Sorry about the inevitable initial confusion.

aleandhearty
21-01-2010, 09:56
'winchester club' is another I'd like to see..........

Just PM'd him to let him know where we are.

Conrad
21-01-2010, 10:13
Ok, just done my dictator bit and moved everything around, sorry about that, was rather hoping my last post would become the first post in this thread, oh well.

Firstly, really glad to have you all here and no problem with you chatting about any of this on the forum. I kind of feel I should say I am not encouraging PMs and wholesale defections (neither am I discouraging it), and to also echo that it is sad times on the BITE forum, the BITE site has an amazing heritage with the forum emerging through the revival a few years back. I am however clearly glad to have our own thriving forum. Moving forward I hope we become known as Pubs Galore and can make the site something even more special and not just a BITE 2. Beyond that I think it is probably wrong for me to say much about BITE, just to reiterate, fantastically glad to have you all here.

Ed - thanks for the pointer on the cards, will look at that later, that will save me a lot of work, I hate trying to find starting points for these things.

Trainman - We do desperately need reviews, but it is one of these things were reviews generate reviews, we have noticed an upturn in membership and reviews since we started seeing the influx of reviews from BITE refugees. Also with a decent core community who want to be involved it means that the reviews can be kept to a standard, I need to rewrite the reviewing engine in the coming months to do a lot of things that have been discussed on the forums, and also to make it easier to report bad reviews.

As I am rewriting all the code I am also adding the potential for roles, so that we can delegate more of our work to the community, and hopefully get everyone more involved with the site. The first demonstration of this was giving Edmon control over the beer festivals he adds, a small step (an easy one for us to code) but hopefully the first of a trend.

Potentially I am thinking of allowing anonymous reviews in the rewrite of the code, whereby non-members could review pubs, if we did this though they would need to be reviewed by an admin or trusted member before they became visible. In general I am not a fan of this, but it could chunk up the site with some reviews and we could switch it off when we were satisfied.

IP-blocking. We do have the facility, most simply we just chuck the IP address into the servers firewall and that IP-address is going nowhere on our server. We have used against idiots who are harassing us or DJs who tried to leave an advert on every pub review in a town. It has worked when we have done it. But (you knew it was coming) we are also aware it is not a magic bullet, many users have access to more than 1 access point and some Internet services (AOL & a few flavours of BT) use some really weird IP allocation service where each cluster of calls comes from a different IP address, I have no idea how they thread that back together at the end. If anyone wants some more in depth or an explanation on any of the IP stuff let me know, it is probably a bit boring for most though.

RogerB
21-01-2010, 10:26
Had a PM from John Bonser :notworthy: - I reckon he will be over shortly! Conrad - you'd better build an extension and swap the bar stools for some extra large sofas.

runningdog
21-01-2010, 10:29
Firstly, really glad to have you all here and no problem with you chatting about any of this on the forum.

Thanks for those remarks, Conrad, it lets us know where we stand. I'll say again, this time for the last time, I have no intention of deserting BitE. If I can manage two local pubs then I can manage two pub forums. By the way, I call this one PuG, seems to go with BitE somehow...........

Tilly-Miss
21-01-2010, 10:40
Must say a big thank you to everyone on this forum,there are some very good people with some very good banter on a daily basis, Conrad has been very helpful and we show respect and thanks,a very good forum indeed and one that will be added to my link page on the next update..regards Bite..i have never heard of it? and maybe just as well regarding the comments,have a lovely day everybody.

aleandhearty
21-01-2010, 10:42
Firstly, really glad to have you all here and no problem with you chatting about any of this on the forum. I kind of feel I should say I am not encouraging PMs and wholesale defections (neither am I discouraging it), and to also echo that it is sad times on the BITE forum, the BITE site has an amazing heritage with the forum emerging through the revival a few years back. I am however clearly glad to have our own thriving forum. Moving forward I hope we become known as Pubs Galore and can make the site something even more special and not just a BITE 2. Beyond that I think it is probably wrong for me to say much about BITE, just to reiterate, fantastically glad to have you all here.

You're being very generous. Just for the record, I PM'd 'winchesterclub' to answer his query on the forum, I didn't set out to actively poach him. I certainly don't want a BITE2 and I'm sure others don't either. I understand that on one level it must be a bit weird for you right now, inheriting so many active users 'en masse'. PG already has its own special, particularly friendly, feel and it's something I hope it never loses.
One thing that's starting to happen, that I think is very encouraging, is the prominence of PG reviews when a pub is googled.

oldboots
21-01-2010, 11:00
I certainly don't want a BITE2 and I'm sure others don't either. .... PG already has its own special, particularly friendly, feel and it's something I hope it never loses.

can I echo A&H's comments and say once the present kerfuffle is over we don't mention BitE and its "challenges" again, Like RD I will also keep up with BitE but will keep the two very separate; apart from the name of course. Absolutely correct about the friendly feel too.

:confused:Now what did I come in here for?:confused:

Conrad
21-01-2010, 12:12
Must say a big thank you to everyone on this forum,there are some very good people with some very good banter on a daily basis, Conrad has been very helpful and we show respect and thanks,a very good forum indeed and one that will be added to my link page on the next update..regards Bite..i have never heard of it? and maybe just as well regarding the comments,have a lovely day everybody.
You may well of heard of BITE, it is an accronym for www.beerintheevening.com

As your business involves pubs if you haven't heard of it, it should be noted. Of the pub web sites it has the largest audience still and will normally be highest placed on Google for many pub searches.

Soup Dragon
21-01-2010, 12:33

As your business involves pubs if you haven't heard of it, it should be noted. Of the pub web sites it has the largest audience still and will normally be highest placed on Google for many pub searches.

Not for much longer:pray:

RogerB
21-01-2010, 12:33
Just had a PM from DPV - looks like he is also about to prop up the PG Bar for a few jars :D

hopwas
21-01-2010, 12:35

How about do a "Krauft" by taking over BITE and merge into PG?... :whistle::whistle::whistle:

RogerB
21-01-2010, 12:40
Of the pub web sites it has the largest audience still and will normally be highest placed on Google for many pub searches.
They may have the quantity but after this week, I doubt they will have the quality.

Conrad
21-01-2010, 12:46
They may have the quantity but after this week, I doubt they will have the quality.
:D

I honestly actually think this right.

Unless directly questioned I am now not going to reply in this thread. We are very complimented by it all, and I have no end of snappy comebacks, but I think it would be a little crass for me to put the boot in right now.

RogerB
21-01-2010, 13:10
As I have mentioned to a few of the others in a few PM's that are rocking to and fro, I would rather read half a dozen reviews from people with good track records than 50 uninformative one liners from single posters who only have their local pub to heart. I am continuing to rewrite and update my 650+ reviews and add them to the site but it is a long, but quite enjoyable haul.

One aspect that PG wins hands down over BITE and I am most impressed with is that we can update our existing review at a later date and it springs back to the top of the pile as a new review so we hopefully won't get a string of reviews from the same person cloggiing up a particular pub's page.

hopwas
21-01-2010, 13:15
One aspect that PG wins hands down over BITE and I am most impressed with is that we can update our existing review at a later date and it springs back to the top of the pile as a new review so we hopefully won't get a string of reviews from the same person cloggiing up a particular pub's page.

Top post Sir!

I have looked at Birmingham and my hometown Tamworth pub listings in that particular website.. out of date with few pubs haven't marked closed yet and too few photographs. Also I have noticed there is few crude comments and attacking fellow reviewers which is out of order!

Tilly-Miss
21-01-2010, 14:10
Good comments from Conrad and RogerB i feel.

Farway
21-01-2010, 14:20
Late coming to this thread and not ex bite forum contributor so not a refugee as such, did post some pics & reviews a couple of years back, but got fed up with the bloomin' pop unders getting on my nerves

Business cards, good idea, would be very handy in my case when publican asks why I am photographing, give him a card, smiles all round, and maybe a free pint?

dpv
21-01-2010, 14:30
Greetings all - I'm another of the rats deserting the sinking ship of the BITE forums.
Well not really, I really hope things will improve over there. But my past experience with forums of other types doesn't give me much hope at the moment for the forum side of their site.

Anyway I'm not here to slag off another site - so here's a bit of introduction for those who don't know me. I'm male, 40, originally from the US but have lived in N London for the past 10 years, I'm not easy to get rid of. I grew up on cheap tinned lager ("Red White & Blue", a budget knock-off of Budweiser if you can believe it) but those days are long gone. Mrs dpv and I (she prefers strong dark ales, I tend toward the floral and fruity) are both camra members of the "inactive with intent to improve" brigade.

Looking forward to settling in here and finding my way around.

Conrad
21-01-2010, 14:39
Hi dpv,

Glad to have you, just in case you haven't gathered - myself and Dave M are the administrators of the site so if you have any problems, queries or can see any way to improve the site just let either of us know, we are keen to hear them.

Probably a good place to mention the Your favourite... (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?382-Your-favourite) thread, the first post is the most important after that it rambles in and out of topic, but is quite a good intros thread for all our new members.

But most of all, hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

Soup Dragon
21-01-2010, 15:04
hello dpv, welcome over - nice to see some old faces again

RogerB
21-01-2010, 15:10
Good comments from Conrad and RogerB i feel.

Thank you - I obvously talk more sense now I have moved off the diluted wines. :cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
21-01-2010, 19:01

No this is the real me , Trenchlad is the disguise !

Manky Badger
21-01-2010, 19:14
...and it looks like Manky Badger is also on his way.

coo-eee Here I am :o)

Eddie86
21-01-2010, 19:22
Crimes, its a good job the bar re-furb will be finished tomorrow! I go out for one day and look what happens :D

Nice to see Conrad has a clear sense of direction for the site, and the one of allowing trusted users a small amount of moderation power as the site grows is to be commended IMO.

As for reviews, I've got a couple to put up, probably after the weekend. The Angel was the surprise hit for me in Manchester yesterday, and the thing that made it for me was the barman (not in that way before you get any ideas!) His knowledge and helpfulness was refreshing.

Millay
21-01-2010, 20:43
There was poor old Grailhunter who never made it behind closed doors!

I know Grailhunter well so will have a word with him about PG at some stage. For the next two weeks he's got work assignments in Dublin then Belfast, lucky git!! So I've been giving him a few tips about Belfast pubs from my recent visit.

I had a PM from Lee Newton about the 'millay clone' so have let him know about PG.

Conrad - you'd better build an extension and swap the bar stools for some extra large sofas.

Sofas Roger?, sofas? in a pub? you'll be drinking Pimms on the lawn and recommending the lime & coriander crab cakes with rocket salad and Peruvian vinaigrette next.:D:D

Millay
21-01-2010, 21:01

I seem to remember this idea was tried, or at least considered, by Pubutopia a few years ago to raise some awareness of the site. The problem was they had so few active members and so few pub reviews that it was a bit counterproductive. Someone picks up a card, logs on to the site, looks at their home town pubs and sees almost no reviews. So they chuck the card away and never visit the site again.

In a way I think that PG may be in a similar position right now. For all the current problems at BITE it has got years of successful activity behind it and almost every pub has multiple reviews. I have often looked around other sites, including I suspect this one, when researching trips, pubs etc. and always came to the conclusion that none of them could hold a candle to BITE when it comes to coverage and information.

So I think I'd offer a word of caution that it might be a little early for this idea. The speed of development is however in our own hands, between PG members we probably cover most parts of the country and have recent reviews of many pubs available. It's really up to us to not only spend time chatting on the forums but to get on the main site and start adding reviews. I suppose I better go and do that now ;)

RogerB
21-01-2010, 21:07
Sofas Roger?, sofas? in a pub? you'll be drinking Pimms on the lawn and recommending the lime & coriander crab cakes with rocket salad and Peruvian vinaigrette next.:D:D

I don't even know why I suggested it - I hate sofas in pubs as well as tub seats and ankle height tables. Coriander Crab Cakes sound good though.

runningdog
21-01-2010, 21:21
I suppose I better go and do that now ;)
Me too, but only after another Beast...:drinkup:...Soon as I can drag myself away I'd best starting earning me corn..........

Millay
21-01-2010, 21:25
I don't even know why I suggested it - I hate sofas in pubs as well as tub seats and ankle height tables. Coriander Crab Cakes sound good though.

I have to admit Roger that I stole the coriander crab cakes comment from my own review of the Norfolk Arms, which I have just reposted on PG.http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22007/

RogerB
21-01-2010, 21:27
I have to admit Roger that I stole the coriander crab cakes comment from my own review of the Norfolk Arms, which I have just reposted on PG.http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22007/

Cheat! Cheat! Cheat! Cheat! Cheat! Cheat!

runningdog
21-01-2010, 21:28
'early drinker's' another we should hope for..........

Millay
21-01-2010, 21:57
Cheat! Cheat! Cheat! Cheat! Cheat! Cheat!
It would make an interesting legal case, whether or not it’s possible to plagiarise your own work. Given that I didn’t get paid for writing the review I consider that I still have the right to use it elsewhere. I suppose anyone is really, I’ve already spotted one of my BITE reviews posted verbatim on PG, although to be fair it was just a short bit of information about a closure and renaming rather than a proper review.

RogerB
21-01-2010, 22:27
It's hard work trying to rework your own reviews to make them seem a bit different although I am trying to ensure my 2010 remixes make a bit more sense and are at least free of all the spilling mtsitakes.

Conrad
21-01-2010, 22:30
coo-eee Here I am :o)
Hi Manky Badger,

I'm sure by now you must have spotted my introduction elsewhere, but just in case me and Dave M are the admins of the site, so if you have any problems, questions or suggestions we would love to hear them.

And most importantly, I hope you enjoy your stay and that it is a long one

Nice to see Conrad has a clear sense of direction for the site, and the one of allowing trusted users a small amount of moderation power as the site grows is to be commended IMO.
Pure self interest I'm afraid :). We want this site to grow, if we can get others to do some of the admin work it can free us up to continue development. Also the heart blood of the site is the users who want to post more reviews pictures and the like, by getting them invested hopefully they will continue wanting to contribute.

Looking forward the forum is getting quite busy - at some point I think we should promote a couple of moderators out of the community, me and Dave occasionally take holidays (well Dave does anyway) and it cant hurt to have a few more people able to take care of any trolls.

I seem to remember this idea was tried, or at least considered, by Pubutopia a few years ago to raise some awareness of the site. The problem was they had so few active members and so few pub reviews that it was a bit counterproductive. Someone picks up a card, logs on to the site, looks at their home town pubs and sees almost no reviews. So they chuck the card away and never visit the site again.

In a way I think that PG may be in a similar position right now. For all the current problems at BITE it has got years of successful activity behind it and almost every pub has multiple reviews. I have often looked around other sites, including I suspect this one, when researching trips, pubs etc. and always came to the conclusion that none of them could hold a candle to BITE when it comes to coverage and information.

So I think I'd offer a word of caution that it might be a little early for this idea. The speed of development is however in our own hands, between PG members we probably cover most parts of the country and have recent reviews of many pubs available. It's really up to us to not only spend time chatting on the forums but to get on the main site and start adding reviews. I suppose I better go and do that now ;)
Interesting I was vaguely aware that Pubutopia (http://www.pubutopia.com/) had done something like that, hadn't heard the rest of the logic. I'm not sure about all of the logic, I can't disagree that there is a good chance they will throw it away and then ignore the site, but I don't know if it is forever. Which is my way of trying to say as long as it doesn't lose you customers it isn't a bad thing (although potentially not value for money). And sadly all forms of advertising would suffer the same limitation. It is definitely the case that if we can get all the new contributors here to start adding to the PG site it would be a huge leap in the right direction.

I don't think it is what you meant anyway, but my pride forces me to say we have better coverage than BITE in that we have more pubs listed on the site than them and I believe our listing is more accurate (loads of work behind the scenes and on the forums by members):). We also have an incredible collection of pub pictures. BITE does have more traffic and waaaaaaaaaaaaay more reviews though, and whilst some of their quality is questionable there is more than enough good stuff there.

Soup Dragon
21-01-2010, 22:36
Its funny to think, with the size of reviews of RogerB, OB and ROBCamra to name but a few, that you had to scrap the word limit you used to have for my meagre efforts

Millay
21-01-2010, 22:46
I don't think it is what you meant anyway, but my pride forces me to say we have better coverage than BITE in that we have more pubs listed on the site than them and I believe our listing is more accurate (loads of work behind the scenes and on the forums by members):). We also have an incredible collection of pub pictures. BITE does have more traffic and waaaaaaaaaaaaay more reviews though, and whilst some of their quality is questionable there is more than enough good stuff there.

I was thinking more about reviews than listings when I mentioned coverage, and was based on my own experience. When I first looked at the site I checked out my home town, as I guess most people would, and found around 60 pubs. However only about 10% had reviews and they were all single reviews. Strangely around 50% have photos. I will of course remedy the lack of reviews in Watford over the course of time.

Conrad
21-01-2010, 22:53
Its funny to think, with the size of reviews of RogerB, OB and ROBCamra to name but a few, that you had to scrap the word limit you used to have for my meagre efforts
And thank God we did. Another one of those changes I should have done years ago on reflection. :) I have 20:20 hindsight.

Soup Dragon
21-01-2010, 22:56
And to think, this time back in August, you were a spritzer boy on 5 posts!

Conrad
21-01-2010, 22:58
I was thinking more about reviews than listings when I mentioned coverage, and was based on my own experience. When I first looked at the site I checked out my home town, as I guess most people would, and found around 60 pubs. However only about 10% had reviews and they were all single reviews. Strangely around 50% have photos. I will of course remedy the lack of reviews in Watford over the course of time.
Can't argue with you there, and thank you in advance for rectifying it!

The pictures are odd, we have a lot of members who enjoy the photography end and aren't so bothered to review - which I can understand. I am not entirely sure why they come here (but I am grateful), I think it ties into what was said earlier in the thread, people see the pictures and want to contribute more, not unlike reviews. The other reason I suspect is that we are more open than other sites, in that we do show the contributors name and you can delete your own pictures if you want to (and sadly some members have :()

Conrad
21-01-2010, 22:59
Shhhh, none of us confess to being Spritzer's once.

runningdog
22-01-2010, 00:34
Shhhh, none of us confess to being Spritzer's once.
Whad'je mean confess, I'm still bluidy annoyed about it, at least two of me ghostly dogs have stopped talking to me...:drinkup:... the Beast preserve us...:drinkup:...shame it's a cat..........

runningdog
22-01-2010, 00:38
Somethings just occured to me, Conrad, and you, Dave, I'm thoroughly enjoying being here. Thanks lads...To you and yours...:drinkup:...cheers..........

Dave M
22-01-2010, 00:51
Cheers rd :drinkup: it's great to have a lively site, myself and Conrad are thoroughly enjoying having you here! :drinkup:

Tilly-Miss
22-01-2010, 01:00
Warm welcome DPV and your missus,i am a newbie myself but this lot of great people will make you very welcome,it is a great place to be with a lot going on and looking to get better as we strive through the new year,a very warm welcome to you both.

arwkrite
22-01-2010, 05:45
Somethings just occured to me, Conrad, and you, Dave, I'm thoroughly enjoying being here. Thanks lads...To you and yours...:drinkup:...cheers..........

Just like to second Runningdog's sentiments. This is a great friendly site and I have been gratefull for the support I have recieved from them over the recent months.I look on the members as mates.
So thanks to everyone....Cheers......

RogerB
22-01-2010, 08:58

I managed to make the latest rites of passage unnoticed somewhere in the Star Trek waffle. I'd like to think my newly acquired status is a half full 2 pint container though.

ROBCamra
22-01-2010, 10:58

So did I. Gill was at the Winter Ales at the same time as me but we didn't meet as far as I know.

ROBCamra
22-01-2010, 11:08
By the way. Is this the fastest growing thread ever?

I was only away for about a day and a half and come back to find 8 pages :)

RogerB
22-01-2010, 11:53
By the way. Is this the fastest growing thread ever?

Fisticuffs seemed quite popular as well :eek:

trainman
22-01-2010, 12:18
I am continuing to rewrite and update my 650+ reviews and add them to the site but it is a long, but quite enjoyable haul.
I s'pose I could copy my reviews over when I get a chance - I must own the 'intellectual rights' (is that the correct phrase?) to do so if I wish, possibly with a date rider to make clear the comments are not necessarily current.
Does your 'update' process involve a 650-pub crawl Roger? It's a tough job, but...

Eddie86
22-01-2010, 12:19
So did I. Gill was at the Winter Ales at the same time as me but we didn't meet as far as I know.

Judging by his review of the Smithfield Hotel, which had a beer festival on, I think I may have seen him, or his group. If so I better lay low - they were quietly enjoying drinks at the back of the room and we enjoyed drinks with the Otley boys, which I've found is almost the complete opposite of 'a quiet pint'.

RogerB
22-01-2010, 13:24
I s'pose I could copy my reviews over when I get a chance - I must own the 'intellectual rights' (is that the correct phrase?) to do so if I wish, possibly with a date rider to make clear the comments are not necessarily current.
Does your 'update' process involve a 650-pub crawl Roger? It's a tough job, but...

There are several reviews that I cannot reproduce without undertaking a new visit so I think there will be a good few excuses to get about a bit! I still have about 450 that never got finished for BITE so they are also still in the pipeline.

NickDavies
22-01-2010, 13:27
Something's rattled Bite's cage because I've just suddenly started getting update e-mails, first since a small flurry last May.

RogerB
22-01-2010, 13:32
I managed to make the latest rites of passage unnoticed somewhere in the Star Trek waffle. I'd like to think my newly acquired status is a half full 2 pint container though.
And I've just gone past the ton without even noticing. Those Spritzers suddenly feel so long ago!

ROBCamra
22-01-2010, 13:33
Something's rattled Bite's cage because I've just suddenly started getting update e-mails, first since a small flurry last May.

I've had 8 in the last 1/2 hour or so.

If I'm going to be sent every update on my hundreds of pubs I could get overwhelmed. :D

RogerB
22-01-2010, 13:34
I've had sod all.:mad:

oldboots
22-01-2010, 13:52
I've had sod all.:mad:

me too, but I've only been waiting since July: :whistle:

BITE Regulars is probably a better place for this type of stuff.

trainman
22-01-2010, 14:22
Judging by his review of the Smithfield Hotel, which had a beer festival on, I think I may have seen him, or his group. If so I better lay low - they were quietly enjoying drinks at the back of the room and we enjoyed drinks with the Otley boys, which I've found is almost the complete opposite of 'a quiet pint'.
... her review, I think. Was the caravan outside?

Farway
22-01-2010, 14:56
The pictures are odd, we have a lot of members who enjoy the photography end and aren't so bothered to review - which I can understand. I am not entirely sure why they come here (but I am grateful), I think it ties into what was said earlier in the thread, people see the pictures and want to contribute more, not unlike reviews. The other reason I suspect is that we are more open than other sites, in that we do show the contributors name and you can delete your own pictures if you want to (and sadly some members have :()

I originally arrived because of the pictures, one of the hobbies is photography so by using this site I can expand my hobby & visit places I would never normally, like Bloody Bognor, to take pub photos, and maybe pop into a few pubs whilst there.

For me this site has expanded my hobby and travel, without it I would never had made the trip to Arundel for instance, or gone into the Mucky Duck [White Swan] JDW in Pompey. Both of which were worthwhile

arwkrite
22-01-2010, 22:10
Farway has explained my reasons. Loved photography for years and always carried a camera on me. In recent years pub photos have revived my interest and given me a new reason to get about. Having a vehicle of Lynne's to drive meant I could not drink in every pub I took a shot of.
Someone in Hereford, a number of years ago, was walking past the Bulmers Cider Plant when tragically a huge storage vat exploded and became airborne.They took a photo and it was syndicated making quite a sum for the photographer. Now with qood quality cameras on mobile phones most people have the means to take such a shot but how many would have the presence of mind to do it ?

runningdog
22-01-2010, 23:26
It seems that Bite's PM feature is turned of, except between Regulars. Chris has put in an appearance, three in fact. I just hope it's a prelude to something effective...:pray::drinkup:

RogerB
22-01-2010, 23:34
It seems that Bite's PM feature is turned of, except between Regulars. Chris has put in an appearance, three in fact. I just hope it's a prelude to something effective...:pray::drinkup:

He can put in as many appearances as he likes. I lost any faith or respect for him months ago and he wont win me back. He has not once addressed the very issues that have made people desert the site and carries on oblivious. If by posting a couple of messages about storing PM's and the Pub of the Day repeats are his way of saying "look guys, I really do care" then it's no surprise we are all here.

Just polished off a bottle of red wine. Does it show?

runningdog
22-01-2010, 23:41
Nope, you still look like Homer...........:drinkup:

trainman
23-01-2010, 08:24

I think that's the previously disfunctional forum pm - I imagine the main site pm will be working just as previously. Like Roger, I doubt that chris is building up to anything effective - on the very day he should have been concerned about evidence/notification that some key players were giving up, he simply made a joke about the rpotd not working and later 'closed' an offensive thread but left the comments visible. One pub added in the last 30days from, I believe, a list of a coupla thousand?

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 09:09
For some time I have failed to see what Chris plans to do with BITE. The main site needs a lot of work to maintain which you must agree has been not received sufficent attention.All good sites I visit have effective moderation again something BITE sadly lacks.
Let us all look to the future and make PuG the place we all want it to be. The members now are some of the best in the business of reviewing and posting about a great variety of subjects ( anyone for Heller ?). Being the biggest can have its drawbacks, PuGs name should stand for quality.

Manky Badger
23-01-2010, 10:22
For some time I have failed to see what Chris plans to do with BITE.

Whilst I'm a newbie here, I was in the first twenty to sign up to BITE's forum......

It strikes me that Chris doesn't plan (or need to plan) to do anything with BITE. All the time the thing is bringing in advertising revenues, he's happy. I would respectfully submit that what we all tend to forget (me most of all) is that being roving reporters for us is a passion, for Chris (and the BITE team) having a website that rakes in the cash is a job. And like most jobs, minimum effort with maximum reward is the target...

RogerB
23-01-2010, 10:39
Whilst I'm a newbie here, I was in the first twenty to sign up to BITE's forum......
And like most jobs, minimum effort with maximum reward is the target...

If I put the minimum effort into my job, I know what the maximum reward will be. The extra time heaped upon me will probably be spent down the pub wondering why I was such a lazy idiot!

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 10:43
I see your point Manky Badger but a good business needs to be worked at otherwise it becomes an ex business. If I owned a pub I would not want it anywhere near Bite for fear of crackpot reviews, flame wars or insulting comments to myself or my staff . Lack of moderation both on the main site and the forums enable this to happen. Both landlords and members have repeatedly appealed for reviews / threads to be removed because of content but usually go unheeded or are left to run collecting even more rubbish.
I enjoyed BITE when I first joined but became disillusioned not by its members but by the attitude of its management.
As we have all seen recently no company is to big to fall and in the scheme of things BITE is but a tiddler.

Having said that glad to see you here as a representative of my favourite corner of the country....Arwkrite.:cheers:

NickDavies
23-01-2010, 11:00
For some time I have failed to see what Chris plans to do with BITE. The main site needs a lot of work to maintain which you must agree has been not received sufficent attention.All good sites I visit have effective moderation again something BITE sadly lacks.
Let us all look to the future and make PuG the place we all want it to be. The members now are some of the best in the business of reviewing and posting about a great variety of subjects ( anyone for Heller ?). Being the biggest can have its drawbacks, PuGs name should stand for quality.

I'm not entirely convinced that websites, well BITE - there's never been much sign of the other ones, are Neransk's core activity any more

Type neransk computer into Google.

" We buy and sell computer equipment. We are based in Cheltenham Spa, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom.
We are available to buy and sell any computer equipment. From PC's to consoles and the latest handhelds and games."

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 11:09
That does not sound to good. Computer sellers come and go all the time around here. I believe the other site was a dating agency....not so interesting as beer drinking unless you are a serial dater.
one wonders what the after sales service is like

runningdog
23-01-2010, 11:38
one wonders what the after sales service is like

Was like, most likely..........

Millay
23-01-2010, 13:14

It strikes me that Chris doesn't plan (or need to plan) to do anything with BITE. All the time the thing is bringing in advertising revenues, he's happy. I would respectfully submit that what we all tend to forget (me most of all) is that being roving reporters for us is a passion, for Chris (and the BITE team) having a website that rakes in the cash is a job. And like most jobs, minimum effort with maximum reward is the target...

I'm with you on this one MB, I do often find myself wanting to defend BITE despite everything. Chris has continually said that it's being run as a business and not to pander to the whims of the members - a bit too forthrightly at times I must admit. With these web businesses I think it's all about hits, on pubs not on forums, that generate advertising revenues so I guess that will be his main focus. He set the forums up for our benefit, the first time we have had such a function since I joined back in July2003, but has never claimed that they would be actively moderated. Moderation of the main site is of course a different matter as that can have a negative effect on revenues. I've never really understood the poor service that seems to be provided to pubs that do pay a subscription though, I'd have thought that should be a priority.

By the way, I have just made my 1,000 post on BITE and am now a Super Member, just as everyone is buggering off :D:D

RogerB
23-01-2010, 13:26
By the way, I have just made my 1,000 post on BITE and am now a Super Member, just as everyone is buggering off :D:D

Pah! I was God once and never bothered fraternising with mere Super Members - not fit to wash my golden pint goblet out I say. I only came over to PG to see how the rest of the universe exists. :whistle:

Millay
23-01-2010, 13:31
I know Grailhunter well so will have a word with him about PG at some stage. For the next two weeks he's got work assignments in Dublin then Belfast, lucky git!!

I spoke to Grailhunter yesterday and he said that he'd been lurking on PG as a visitor and noticed the familiar names. I think after his holiday, sorry his very important work assignment, to the Emerald Isle he may well join up.

Millay
23-01-2010, 13:34
Pah! I was God once and never bothered fraternising with mere Super Members - not fit to wash my golden pint goblet out I say. I only came over to PG to see how the rest of the universe exists. :whistle:

Yes, I do remember the outrage when they removed your deity status Roger.

Farway
23-01-2010, 13:35

Another in agreement with MB, in some pubs I have been in when queried about taking photo I often mention PG, to which I often get blank look & told they use BITE, an example is Hole in Wall, Southsea http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54396/ even has link on his web site to his BITE entry

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 13:43
Such humility Roger to have an ex-god walking among us and looking for one of us to wash his singlet . If my Bite posts and PuG post were added I should have over a thousand but I prefer to stay as a common mortal and feel the hurt of the ordinary man. Better stop here I feel a bad case of utter drivel coming on.

Soup Dragon
23-01-2010, 13:59
Most of my posts were made up of me talking to myself! i would only have 27 if they were taken away:muppet:

oldboots
23-01-2010, 15:15

When you reach 250 on here you can pick your own moniker, perhaps something simple and modest like "Supreme Being" would be suitable as it beats a mere BITE God :D.

Soup Dragon
23-01-2010, 15:23
Yes, Roger - OB's was originally - I'll stay on me own - then he picked old and bitter

oldboots
23-01-2010, 15:36
We need that "Early Doors" thread, some people may not get the Tommy allusions

trainman
23-01-2010, 16:06
We need that "Early Doors" thread, some people may not get the Tommy allusions
Well if they don't, they need to get it ordered post haste. Great stuff those series (both 1&2), I hope they run to another sometime.
Too much to pack in here (tho the coppers out back are increasingly fab), but a couple of favs from Tommy, for me, were when he arrives & Ken asks if he'd like a pint of the finest beer in Manchester, Tommy replies 'Yeah, but I'm staying in here tonight!', and the classic scene when asked how his new job is going, Tommy replies 'Alright, apart from the people I have to work with. I hate them, & they hate me. We've agreed to just not even talk to each other'. Then he picks up his out-of-view lollipop stop-sign, & grumbles off home!

Conrad
23-01-2010, 16:41
When you reach 250 on here you can pick your own moniker, perhaps something simple and modest like "Supreme Being" would be suitable as it beats a mere BITE God :D.
350 now, it is a rolling bar to keep things lively we don't want everyone being Gods, you need mere mortals filling in the vacancies. No one has moved into the new band that exists above 250 yet, Arwkrite was the last God in this batch (and still not exercised his rights with that status), along with Soup, Hopppy and OB.

PaulOfHorsham
23-01-2010, 16:47
Well if they don't, they need to get it ordered post haste. Great stuff those series (both 1&2), I hope they run to another sometime.
Too much to pack in here (tho the coppers out back are increasingly fab), but a couple of favs from Tommy, for me, were when he arrives & Ken asks if he'd like a pint of the finest beer in Manchester, Tommy replies 'Yeah, but I'm staying in here tonight!', and the classic scene when asked how his new job is going, Tommy replies 'Alright, apart from the people I have to work with. I hate them, & they hate me. We've agreed to just not even talk to each other'. Then he picks up his out-of-view lollipop stop-sign, & grumbles off home!

I don't know, bl00dy johnny-come-latelys... We did Early Doors months ago

Soup Dragon
23-01-2010, 16:48
What you going to do when you get to 1000, Conrad?

Conrad
23-01-2010, 16:59
What you going to do when you get to 1000, Conrad?
Laugh at Methuselah?

Oggwyn Trench
23-01-2010, 17:31

As an Atheist it would have to be Non Existant Supreme Being

trainman
23-01-2010, 17:32
I don't know, bl00dy johnny-come-latelys... We did Early Doors months ago
Easy PoH, why don't you help us poor jcl types & attach the source thread then?

PaulOfHorsham
23-01-2010, 17:40
Well, it would have been easier to direct you when things were quiet round here... [there would be a 'smile' smiley here (and a 'whistling' one in my last post), but my efforts to include one are being ignored].

Anyway, I can't see there being objections to another Early Doors thread, quality entertainment that it is.

oldboots
23-01-2010, 17:55
Easy PoH, why don't you help us poor jcl types & attach the source thread then?

IIRC there isn't actually an official "Early Doors" thread although due to thread-drift there's quite a lot in the Real Ale Tw*ts (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?432-Real-Ale-Tw*ts/page4) thread as well as cropping up here and there just like those roadworks at the end of Rosamund Street.....

Soup Dragon
23-01-2010, 17:58
just like those roadworks at the end of Rosamund Street.....

they added 20 minutes to the time it took to write my reply posting, OB:D

oldboots
23-01-2010, 18:51
Ok here's Tommy for those who haven't seen it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIEZ-gnFeE&feature=related

runningdog
23-01-2010, 20:04
I know what you mean, sir, I was aiming at Godhead, indeed I once worshipped Mr B, but he, like us all, was reduced to drinking spritzer. But at least I shall shortly be allowed to drink from a full glass...:drinkup:...Not before bluidytime either..........

runningdog
23-01-2010, 20:06
There, that's better, I feel human already...:drinkup::cheers::glass:

RogerB
23-01-2010, 21:20

I'll get my witty thinking cap on - still plenty of time yet though.

GuideDogSaint
25-01-2010, 00:01
Another refugee here! Thanks to RogerB for the invite.

arwkrite
25-01-2010, 09:45
Welcome to this little corner of sanity but by all means bring a sense humour with you. A thick skin and a set of claws will otherwise be needed. Seriously you will find a lot of old friends a quiet a few new ones.What appears to be serious mental health problems with some of us is passed off a comedy.Its just part of the charm of a signed up PuGer.:drinkup:

Conrad
25-01-2010, 12:07
Hi GuideDogSaint,

You've probably heard already, but me and Dave M are the administrators of Pubs Galore so if you have any problems, queries or suggestions of improvements just let either of us know, we are keen to hear. Ark has between me to the welcome and done it far better than I could.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

RogerB
25-01-2010, 17:41
Welcome to this little corner of sanity

You sure? :confused:

Welcome GDS - Good job I spotted your recent BITE review as you had escaped the lassoo in our BITE round up! Good to have you on board. I believe Conrad has now paved over the PG beer garden and fitted in some extra seating. If we get any more we will need to borrow the Marchwood Roebuck's 4 tier grandstand. :eek:

Soup Dragon
25-01-2010, 20:26
Hi GDS

another familiar face - we seem to be getting a good 'canine' crowd

Hostelry Host
27-01-2010, 14:07
Another BITE refugee here (albeit under a new name ... I used to be known as Brewshed). Thanks RogerB and John Bonser for pointing me in the right direction.

Conrad
27-01-2010, 14:11
Hi Hostelry Host,

Welcome to PuG, just to give you the standard blurb, me and Dave M are the admins of the site, so if you have any problems, queries or ideas on how to improve the site please do ask.

Thanks for joining up, and hope you enjoy your stay.

arwkrite
27-01-2010, 14:20
Glad you could make H.H it must be getting lonely over there from what I have seen. This is the place to be so find a seat ,get yourself a drink and make a start. I think RogerB is out back building an extension so we all can fit in here.:)

aleandhearty
27-01-2010, 14:58
Another BITE refugee here (albeit under a new name ... I used to be known as Brewshed.

Hi HH welcome. Good to see you here.( Must admit, I'd never have made the connection between Brewshed and Hostelry Host!)

RogerB
27-01-2010, 18:04
Thanks RogerB and John Bonser for pointing me in the right direction.

I think John must still be in some of the pubs in between. :confused:

runningdog
29-01-2010, 18:14
I think John must still be in some of the pubs in between. :confused:

Well he wasn't in the other place just now, nobody was..........:nishelypished:

oldboots
29-01-2010, 19:03
Well he wasn't in the other place just now, nobody was..........:nishelypished:

I dropped by and there was drifting tumbleweed, whistling wind and a howling coyote in the distance............and someone from Surrey gibbering to himself in the corner (insert w4nk3r smiley)

oh dear I know we shouldn't intrude on private grief but I couldn't help myself :(

:cheers:at least this Fullers 1845 is bludy good stuff:cheers:

Maldenman
30-01-2010, 15:01
Hi to all. Dropping in for a quick look round. It was getting a touch lonely.

ROBCamra
30-01-2010, 15:05

You found the hidden tunnel then. Welcome aboard, I'm sure Conrad will be along to welcome you soon, he doesn't seem to sleep. :notworthy:

Maldenman
30-01-2010, 15:12
Cheers Rob, still posting reviews over there but there are not many people left to chat with. Not sure if my mate Rex Rattus has appeared here yet, I'll have to do a trawl.

aleandhearty
30-01-2010, 15:48
I dropped by and there was drifting tumbleweed, whistling wind and a howling coyote in the distance............and someone from Surrey gibbering to himself in the corner (insert w4nk3r smiley)

:D That's some picture you paint, but it certainly sums up how I feel. What amazes me is the fact that one or two established forum users are still submitting posts to the pub changes forum. :eek:

Conrad
30-01-2010, 16:46
Hi Maldenman,

I have been beaten well and truly to the welcome today, clearly you already know a lot of the members, Dave M and me are the admins of the PuG site and forum, so if you have an problems, queries or suggestions just let us know and we will do our best to help.

Glad to have you here, and hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

Maldenman
30-01-2010, 17:26
Cheers Conrad, glad to make your acquaintance. Thanks for the welcome. I seem to have one hell of a lot of reading back and catching up to do. Looking forward to it though as it seems lively and cheery on here.

Regards

Maldenman

ROBCamra
30-01-2010, 17:31
Cheers Conrad, glad to make your acquaintance. Thanks for the welcome. I seem to have one hell of a lot of reading back and catching up to do. Looking forward to it though as it seems lively and cheery on here.

Regards

Maldenman

You'll need to get a few posts in as well before you can have a drink. You can't be teetotal for long.:)

Maldenman
30-01-2010, 17:37
All still new to me though. Looks pretty busy on here.

Conrad
30-01-2010, 17:42
Were doing well at the moment, I hope it stays as busy, don't worry too much about needing to read back, we try not to be forum nazi's so do just dive in.

oldboots
30-01-2010, 18:21
What amazes me is the fact that one or two established forum users are still submitting posts to the pub changes forum. :eek:

Hope burns eternal....

Good to see you using those lines from Carol Ann Duffy's version of John Barleycorn BTW.

Quinno
30-01-2010, 19:13
I popped my head over the parapet earlier today and it made rather gloomy reading. I hope i'm not tempting fate by mentioning the 't' word, but the migration of all the good contributors is finite and sooner or later we're going to get some socially inadequate 's**t-for-brains' intent on stirring things up. Hopefully Conrad's contingency plan is a good one..

Looks like the loony has twigged where everyone has gone (took him long enough) so be prepared for troll attack in the forthcoming days...

aleandhearty
30-01-2010, 19:16
Good to see you using those lines from Carol Ann Duffy's version of John Barleycorn BTW.

I'm sure you can guess where I saw the poem. Fantastic isn't it ? There's also a clip of her reading it on You Tube, although you probably already know that!

RogerB
30-01-2010, 20:03
Reminds me of this little ditty of an advertisement that was concocted by the landlord of the Crown & Anchor in Dartford (now the Wat Tyler and one of my main local watering holes) around the time of the 1st World War. There are 57 local pubs mentioned (sadly only 21 remain)...

It was a glorious day when the Sportsman arose, with the Rising Sun over against the Windmill under the Walnut Tree, to shoot the Eagle, which looked like a Phoenix.

Rose of the Three Tuns sat beneath the Royal Oak, entwining the Ivy Leaf, where the Prince Of Orange, who rode on a White Horse, gave a Salutation or Royal Exchange to Alexandra, who wore the Orders of the Rose & Crown, The Ship and the Anchor Of Hope.

The Prince Of Wales who saw the Crown on the Kings Head, spoke of the Victory of Cressy. A Black Boy drove up in the Coach & Horses and told them he had cut off a Bulls Head. The Bull had been caught by the Foresters and the Bull & George had been taken to the Fulwich Hotel.

Two Brewers called a Jolly Wagoner who had caught a Bird In Hand at the Railway Tavern, when a Rifleman rushed from the Coachmaker’s Arms to shoot a Tiger that had escaped from the New Town Tavern and had gone down by the Smiths Arms to the Huffler’s Arms. The Waterman’s Arms waved wildly as the Tiger plunged into the Creek to be swallowed immediately by the Dolphin which was duly caught by A Salmon Fisher off Long Reach Tavern when, Who’d Have Thought It, Eleven Cricketers arrived and some Jolly Millers with a Fox & Hounds and an Oddfellow from the Kentish Arms with a Plough and a Malt Shovel.

A Star from the New Inn rung One Bell at the Mason’s Arms and asked the Woodman to settle everything at the Crown & Anchor where the best of wines and spirits, at moderate prices, can be obtained.

rpadam
30-01-2010, 22:10
:D That's some picture you paint, but it certainly sums up how I feel. What amazes me is the fact that one or two established forum users are still submitting posts to the pub changes forum. :eek:
It's just a thing I do once in a while in a pointless attempt to embarrass Chris into doing something with his wasting asset...

Quinno
30-01-2010, 22:31
typing the name 'Neransk' into the Companies House search facility makes for interesting reading...

arwkrite
30-01-2010, 22:46
On the Neransk website I see five dating sites are included in the portfolio. I should imagine they dont take much intervention from the management.Twos company,threes a crowd under normal circumstances. By the way I got no return on Companies House website.

rpadam
30-01-2010, 22:46
typing the name 'Neransk' into the Companies House search facility makes for interesting reading...
Nothing new there - I think several BITE users got themselves banned for 999 years by Chris when they pointed this out about 18 months ago...

Eddie86
30-01-2010, 22:53
Comes up 'no results' for me, unless I've missed a trick here...

rpadam
30-01-2010, 22:56
Nothing new there - I think several BITE users got themselves banned for 999 years by Chris when they pointed this out about 18 months ago...
I don't know whether posting links works here, so I'll give it a go...

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/3ccd3ea99f2a5c6554414d74c1e4897c/compdetails

Eddie86
30-01-2010, 23:55
It's ok - none of that makes any sense at all to me!

RogerB
31-01-2010, 00:10
It's ok - none of that makes any sense at all to me!

The way I look at it, there are proposals to strike the company off for not submitting their annual accounts but looking at the details, this has been on the cards for the last 2 or 3 years and nothing has yet happened. What this would mean to BITE if Neransk was struck off is anyone's guess but I would imagine there is a danger that the site would be frozen, shut down or sold off. When or if this actually happens is probably subject to vast amounts of Company Law that I wouldn't know where to start with. Whatever way you look at things, it isn't very impressive from a business point of view.

Conrad
31-01-2010, 00:49
Looks like the loony has twigged where everyone has gone (took him long enough) so be prepared for troll attack in the forthcoming days...
I have become aware of this, first thing I need to say is that they are clearly trying to annoy us without even being here yet, so try to enjoy the forums and I will attempt to deal with these issues when they arrive.

For the moment I intend to deal with any badly flavoured posts as I see fit, which may just be to leave them and give us a laugh. The poster will be placed into moderation meaning anything they post will have to be approved by a mod or admin before it appears on the forum. If they continue to demonstrate they are no use we will delete the account/ban/block as appropriate.

It's just a thing I do once in a while in a pointless attempt to embarrass Chris into doing something with his wasting asset...

Hi rpadam,

Really nice to see you here, you obviously know the other BITE refugees. Dave M and me are the admins of PuG and the forum if you have any problems, queries or suggestions on how to improve the site we would love to hear them.

Hope you enjoy your stay and that it is a long one,

Conrad

The way I look at it, there are proposals to strike the company off for not submitting their annual accounts but looking at the details, this has been on the cards for the last 2 or 3 years and nothing has yet happened. What this would mean to BITE if Neransk was struck off is anyone's guess but I would imagine there is a danger that the site would be frozen, shut down or sold off. When or if this actually happens is probably subject to vast amounts of Company Law that I wouldn't know where to start with. Whatever way you look at things, it isn't very impressive from a business point of view.
Ok, not sure if Dave will respond to this (he may continue our policy of not responding unless asked unlike me), but this is more his area of understanding. The proposal to strike off the company I believe has come into being due to Neransk not filing any returns with Companies House and is just a standard thing that comes into play after a certain amount of time. Slightly more oddly they have not been struck off (or more likely corrective action taken) yet unlike most contemporary companies with the same issue, my best bet is that none of their creditors have waded in to escalate the issue, although there may be some protective action going on by Neransk I am not aware of. Assuming BITE is an asset of Neransk, which I am not sure of then were the company to be struck off the Crown seizes all assets to dispose of, so if it sees any value in the domain it will sell it, probably without content (to be clear I know the domain clearly has a great deal of value, but I have seen weird things happen when domains get seized).

arwkrite
31-01-2010, 07:38
Let us follow Conrads advice and enjoy PGs forum. I think we are in danger of spending to much time looking backwards whilst worrying about the future. An ideal position for walking into lamposts.
If the trolls follow there is nothing we can do about it but the management here have a different idea about trolls and how to deal with them. I say leave it to Conrad and Dave by not feeding the trolls from the start.Any worries we have about them then a PM to Conrad is less informative to the trolls than an open complaint on the open forum.
We have nearly all been forced from Bite by the behaviour of trolls and the lack of moderation. I have every hope things will be different here.
Now get on with being PuGers and less of being ex Biters.:D

Oggwyn Trench
31-01-2010, 11:03
Let us follow Conrads advice and enjoy PGs forum. I think we are in danger of spending to much time looking backwards whilst worrying about the future. An ideal position for walking into lamposts.
If the trolls follow there is nothing we can do about it but the management here have a different idea about trolls and how to deal with them. I say leave it to Conrad and Dave by not feeding the trolls from the start.Any worries we have about them then a PM to Conrad is less informative to the trolls than an open complaint on the open forum.
We have nearly all been forced from Bite by the behaviour of trolls and the lack of moderation. I have every hope things will be different here.
Now get on with being PuGers and less of being ex Biters.:D

Well said Mr A

Rex_Rattus
31-01-2010, 12:12
Well, Well, what do we have here? An easily recognisable motley crew of the ex-BITE usual suspects?! Or a dedicated coterie of pub and beer afficionados? Both probably.

arwkrite
31-01-2010, 12:21
Well, Well, what do we have here? An easily recognisable motley crew of the ex-BITE usual suspects?! Or a dedicated coterie of pub and beer afficionados? Both probably.

Who ? What ? Me ? No ,never heard of em. Don't know any of em. I'm only hear for the Irish stepdancer with long legs and black fish net tights. I don't feel well .I think I will have a lie down.

Maldenman
31-01-2010, 12:35

Well well! I wondered how long, welcome to a saner world.

Conrad
31-01-2010, 12:39
Hi Rex_Rattus,

Welcome to PuG, I guess you know most of the posters here, myself and Dave M are the admin's of PuG and the forum so if you have any problems, queries or suggestions on how to improve the site please do ask us. Hoppy has just reappeared from a week away so I am sure he will be along shortly as the most passionate of the original PuG posters to say hi himself.

Good to have you here, and hope you enjoy your stay.

Conrad

Strongers
31-01-2010, 14:10
Afternoon everyone,

I thought I’d come to say hello as I know most of the names on these forums as I am another refugee from the ‘Tumbleweed Tavern’. I’ve not used this forum format before so I’ll have to have a play around, but I’m sure I’ll work out what the hell is going on by the end of the year.

Anyway, my name is Steve and I live in Barnet North London. I’m going through a Guinness phase at the moment, but I will knock back most liquids. I’m more interested in visiting new pubs and areas than drinking new ales, but that is just my thing. I support Brentford FC and I have a love for darts – Which I am watching on ITV4 now whilst drinking the wife’s Fosters (Yes Fosters - I await the barrage). I am a fan of Fullers’ Pubs, but not their prices and I’m averse to gastro conversions.

I make a promise not to mention BITE again unless prompted and I’m looking forward to my stay.

Cheers

Steve

Soup Dragon
31-01-2010, 14:28
Hi Strongers and Rex, good to see you both.

hopwas
31-01-2010, 14:30
Hoppy has just reappeared from a week away so I am sure he will be along shortly as the most passionate of the original PuG posters to say hi himself.

Indeed I am back from hectic week.. Finally today is my rest day thank god!

Oh Rex welcome to PG! Hope you will find this place is comfortable for you!

Hoppy

arwkrite
31-01-2010, 14:37
"Oh Rex welcome to PG! Hope you will find this place is comfortable for you!"

Welcome Rex and Strongers. Its getting crowded in here despite RogerB building outside extensions. I recommend you dont leave your seat ( if you can find one ) cause some one will pinch it the rate they are coming in here..

Conrad
31-01-2010, 14:45
Hi Strongers,

Good to have you here, you have probably caught my welcome already, but me and Dave M are the admins of PuG and the forums, so if you have any problems, queries or improvements please do contact us.

Thanks for the excellent introduction, hope you enjoy your stay here and that it is a welcome one.

Welcome Rex and Strongers. Its getting crowded in here despite RogerB building outside extensions. I recommend you dont leave your seat ( if you can find one ) cause some one will pinch it the rate they are coming in here..

It is brilliant to watch, I'm really enjoying the forums, and it does feel alive here.

arwkrite
31-01-2010, 14:48
Us new ones are supposed to be boring old F777s . Imagine if you had a whole collection of clever sods....no don't even go there.

ROBCamra
31-01-2010, 15:46
Afternoon everyone,

I thought I’d come to say hello as I know most of the names on these forums as I am another refugee from the ‘Tumbleweed Tavern’. I’ve not used this forum format before so I’ll have to have a play around, but I’m sure I’ll work out what the hell is going on by the end of the year.

Anyway, my name is Steve and I live in Barnet North London. I’m going through a Guinness phase at the moment, but I will knock back most liquids. I’m more interested in visiting new pubs and areas than drinking new ales, but that is just my thing. I support Brentford FC and I have a love for darts – Which I am watching on ITV4 now whilst drinking the wife’s Fosters (Yes Fosters - I await the barrage). I am a fan of Fullers’ Pubs, but not their prices and I’m averse to gastro conversions.

I make a promise not to mention BITE again unless prompted and I’m looking forward to my stay.

Cheers

Steve

Welcome aboard Strongers. I suspect that this means that the pub reviews in London will increase by about 30 per week. :)

Strongers
31-01-2010, 16:04
I'm sure that you'll see a few reviews from me in the near future. I even have a couple of reviews of pubs from up north in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldbury:whistle:

runningdog
31-01-2010, 20:04
Great, in'it, I stay away for a day and the place gets even more crowded, good bunch of lads I have to admit, M'man, Strongers, rp, I'm glad to find you here, oh and the King Rat too. Don't worry about me, Conrad, I think it's great here.
That the t-folk should get was/is inevitable but I'd hazard a guess:pray: that they might well bite :o off more than they can chew.
As my last mention of BitE, I always had a personal beef with the t-folk. I am not, repeat, not a Boring Old Fart.. I am a BLoody Annoying Old Farter, it's just a matter of pride.
If this post seems a mite disjointed, it's becos I ain't fathomed out the multiple quote thingee.:nishelypished:

arwkrite
01-02-2010, 00:25
I like being known as a boring old f77t. It means my brain is operating at a far higher level than your common troll can comprehend. I wear it as a badge of pride.:whistle:

Alesonly
01-02-2010, 11:59
Hello too All & everyone. Ive finally found out what happend too you all from Bite and have come too join the Party for a few beers.

Conrad
01-02-2010, 12:31
Hi Alesonly,

Welcome to Pubs Galore. Me and Dave M are the admins of the site so if you have any problems, queries, or suggestions to improve the site do let us know.

Hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

RogerB
01-02-2010, 13:21
Hello too All & everyone. Ive finally found out what happend too you all from Bite and have come too join the Party for a few beers.

Welcome aboard. Good to see you again.

Alesonly
01-02-2010, 14:01
Welcome aboard. Good to see you again.

Yes its good too find the Old crowed on here. As I have been moving House over Christmas and New Year and doing a lot of decorating I was not about much on the computer or on-line for the past few months. So I was quiet surprised everyone had suddenly disappeared from Bite.

Hostelry Host
01-02-2010, 14:35
I had a quick look at the BITE forum thios morning and it appears that the trolls have located our new home here. At present they do not seem too interested in coming over to create trouble but who knows how long that will last.

Rex_Rattus
01-02-2010, 16:55
I had a quick look at the BITE forum thios morning and it appears that the trolls have located our new home here. At present they do not seem too interested in coming over to create trouble but who knows how long that will last.
I see that Millay has been stirring the trolls up. By "stirring up" I mean, of course, trying to make a serious point - that resulted in some personal abuse from CAPSLOCK. Clive, time to leave them to play with themselves, as it were, I think!

oldboots
01-02-2010, 17:30

At least the good guys know where we are too, a belated welcome to you all by the way.

Eddie86
01-02-2010, 19:13
Welcome over here gents...

May I suggest we follow the old adage, and 'ignore them and they will go away'?

ETA
02-02-2010, 13:45
I'm another BITE member who has gone "down the road" to see what the neighbours are up to, and it's nice to see so many familiar faces (well, names anyway). Thanks for the tip, chaps. Let's hope this site doesn't suffer the same fate as the other. I shall continue to review there but shall avoid posting on the public forums until the morons have gone.

Conrad
02-02-2010, 13:55
Hi ETA,

Welcome to PuG, myself and Dave M are the admins of the site so if you have any problems, queries or suggestions of improvements to the site do let us know.

You obviously know the familiar BITE people, Hoppy (Hopwas) is the most vocal of the the original PuG crowd, he'll be along shortly but is still suffering cold sweats having been fleeced for a pint by Harrod's ;)

Hope you enjoy your stay, and that it is a long one.

As an aside - just as an idle observation, I was wondering if any of our new members actually found us due to Dr1nk3r's post over on BITE? Since the post we have had about 6 new members who use the BITE site and (touch wood) no trolls.

I do wonder if the trolls are more interested in trolling BITE for the moment, it is if you like, their bridge and why bother hiding under a new one. I'm sure we will have our own eventually, and we will just deal with them, but it looks like it isn't going to be the deluge we feared.

As things stand bizarelly I think Dr1nk3r's post has overall been a good one from the perspective of keeping the community together, so personally I'm actually kind of glad they did the post. Certainly unless things change dramatically I have decided I think they did us a good turn.

ROBCamra
02-02-2010, 16:25
Chris has just posted to a thread in the regulars section on BITE that seems to suggest that the regulars were responsible for the trolls not the fact that the site isn't moderated.

What a total :muppet::muppet::muppet:

He just doesn't get it does he?

Grailhunter
02-02-2010, 16:34
Hi all

I'm another refugee from the other place who has been watching the forums here go from strength to strength. If you don't mind I'd like to join in the sensible and fun conversations you guys seem to be having.

By way of introduction I'm 50 years old, enjoy a pint or two of ale, visiting pubs (especially new ones to me and those that are of the more traditional type). I'm fortunate in that my job involves me in a good bit of travel (i'm in Dublin this week) so I get the chance quite often to try new pubs and beers.

I hope I can add to the quality of the discussions you guys seem to be enjoying.

hopwas
02-02-2010, 16:35
Thanks Conrad..

I am still moaning about that £7 pint at Harrods...

ETA..

Welcome to PG (or PuG as some people call it)

Obviously I have no idea what is going on over there (BITE) and I am sure we will not do the same as over there.

Hope you enjoy your stay

Hoppy

Conrad
02-02-2010, 16:37
Hi Grailhunter,

I'm sure you have seen, but to give you the standard spiel, me and Dave M are the admins of PuG, so please do let us know if you have any problems, queries, or suggestions of improvement.

Glad to have you here, and hope you enjoy your stay.

runningdog
02-02-2010, 16:57
Well, I just signed off over at the other place, 1001 posts down the pan. I don't intend to go back, I'll probably be banned anyway. That's it for me, Chris can go and live with his trolls, he seems to like them..........
:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup: By the gods, I needed them, and another for luck:drinkup:

Ps...I'm off now to see if there's any Buzzard left..........:mad::drinkup::moremad::drinkup:

oldboots
02-02-2010, 17:12
Chris has just posted to a thread in the regulars section on BITE that seems to suggest that the regulars were responsible for the trolls not the fact that the site isnt moderated.

What a total :muppet::muppet::muppet:

He just doesn't get it does he?

Not as bad as the backstabbers comment :moremad:, which I think was worse, anyway definately time to move on.

On a brighter note I see the number of active PuG members has reached the magic 50, (don't let it slip back) so well done to all of us and thanks especially to Soupy, Hoppy, Conrad and Dave for their hard work on the revitalisation. Time for a big drink I think.

100 active members anyone?

Conrad
02-02-2010, 17:19
100 active members anyone?
Gets my vote :drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
02-02-2010, 18:54
I think the main difference here is the fact if you have got a complaint/suggestion/idea about the site , Conrad and Dave are happy to help out :notworthy: Where on BITE its taken as moaning or a personal attack :moremad:

RogerB
02-02-2010, 19:35
I think the main difference here is the fact if you have got a complaint/suggestion/idea about the site , Conrad and Dave are happy to help out :notworthy: Where on BITE its taken as moaning or a personal attack :moremad:

Well he's just had another to mull over now.

ROBCamra
02-02-2010, 19:43

Well having read that Roger all I can say is "Stop sitting on the fence, tell him what you really think" :D:D:D

Nice one.

runningdog
02-02-2010, 20:00

Good for you, mate, though I don't expect he gives a rat's tiddle about what we say.
Do you know who I hated, worse than the trolls. Chrish, him an his MA updates. I'm a subscriber to the Advertiser and I read it. Please, please, don't go down that route, Conrad...:pray::pray::pray:

runningdog
02-02-2010, 20:05
Oh, an I forget to say, the Buzzard is still soaring...:nishelypished:...down with the Beast....:drinkup:...........

runningdog
02-02-2010, 20:08
All together now, 'We are sailing, we are sailing, stormy waters etc etc to be free'. Rejoice everyone, Voyager is home. That's a hint by the way...Told you I was pished..........:nishelypished::drinkup:

Strongers
02-02-2010, 20:20
All together now, 'We are sailing, we are sailing, stormy waters etc etc to be free'. Rejoice everyone, Voyager is home. That's a hint by the way...Told you I was pished..........:nishelypished::drinkup:

I was in a bit of a quandary as to whether or not I was going to have a few beers tonight – You have made up my mind and I have just cracked open a can of Guinness – Cheers!:cheers:

As for the Chris thing - He was never that interested in the site to begin with and the writing was on the wall when Fran left.

Alesonly
02-02-2010, 20:21
Yes I’ve Just read that Post by Chris. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot and alienating the People that are trying too help you out. There were plenty of offers of help too moderate the site by a lot of us but this was just dismissed. :(

Strongers
02-02-2010, 20:27
Yes I’ve Just read that Post by Chris. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot and alienating the People that are trying too help you out. There were plenty of offers of help too moderate the site by a lot of us but this was just dismissed. :(

I agree, but it is hard to reason with someone that doesn’t give a damn.

Did I read that you had moved house? If I did read right you’ve obviously not moved very far if you’re still in Muswell Hill.

runningdog
02-02-2010, 20:34
I was in a bit of a quandary as to whether or not I was going to have a few beers tonight – You have made up my mind and I have just cracked open a can of Guinness – Cheers!:cheers:
...and the writing was on the wall when Fran left.

Yeah, it passed me by at the time, but you're right. Enjoy the black stuff, I have the happy task of deciding, Old Peculiar, Exmor Beast or Old Empire. I think we all know where this is going...Bring on the Beast...:drinkup::drinkup: still:nishelypished:, and getting nicer by the hour,:drinkup::drinkup:

Ps I never wonder if, only what..........

aleandhearty
02-02-2010, 20:59
After ROBCamra had mentioned Chris's post this afternoon I went over to have a look. I fully intended to let him have both barrels, but in the end I just couldn't be bothered. Mentally, I let go of BITE months ago and didn't want to cross that line again. Having said that Roger summed up everything that I wanted to say. It was never about the trolls for me, rather the intransigence of Chris, the lack of activity and the total absence of civilised communication. :mad:

Millay
02-02-2010, 22:59
Oh dear, I really hate to do this but, having the devil’s advocate tendencies that I do, I keep wanting to stick up for BITE, maybe for nostalgic reasons as a long time member. As much as I hate what Neransk are doing, or more importantly not doing, with the site now, they rescued it from oblivion a few years ago when they took it over. They instigated the forums for us members and for some time that helped the site thrive. In my opinion Chris has never made any promises to the members about the forums so I have no real issues, only irritation really, about what is happening on there now. My only concern is the management of the main site and for that reason I fear for its future.

Alesonly
02-02-2010, 23:20
I agree, but it is hard to reason with someone that doesn’t give a damn.

Did I read that you had moved house? If I did read right you’ve obviously not moved very far if you’re still in Muswell Hill.

Hi Strongers
No I have not moved far at all still in the same road but a bigger Flat on G/F with own Garden & Shed too do me Bikes up in.

Millay
02-02-2010, 23:28
Hi all

I'm another refugee from the other place who has been watching the forums here go from strength to strength. If you don't mind I'd like to join in the sensible and fun conversations you guys seem to be having.

By way of introduction I'm 50 years old, enjoy a pint or two of ale, visiting pubs (especially new ones to me and those that are of the more traditional type). I'm fortunate in that my job involves me in a good bit of travel (i'm in Dublin this week) so I get the chance quite often to try new pubs and beers.

I hope I can add to the quality of the discussions you guys seem to be enjoying.

Welcome mate. I thought it was Belfast this week, maybe fitting in the Crown, John Hewitt, Whites Tavern etc. into that busy work schedule.

Strongers
02-02-2010, 23:40
Hi Strongers
No I have not moved far at all still in the same road but a bigger Flat on G/F with own Garden & Shed too do me Bikes up in.

Living the dream!

I've been messing about with my old CBR125 today as it is appearing in MCN Thursday and I hadn't ridden it for 3 months. Obviously didn't work when I tried to start it, but a jump start off the Skoda and evacuation of rotten fuel did the trick. Solid little bike it is - rather have the 600 back though!

Strongers
02-02-2010, 23:44
Oh dear, I really hate to do this but, having the devil’s advocate tendencies that I do, I keep wanting to stick up for BITE, maybe for nostalgic reasons as a long time member. As much as I hate what Neransk are doing, or more importantly not doing, with the site now, they rescued it from oblivion a few years ago when they took it over. They instigated the forums for us members and for some time that helped the site thrive. In my opinion Chris has never made any promises to the members about the forums so I have no real issues, only irritation really, about what is happening on there now. My only concern is the management of the main site and for that reason I fear for its future.

I know where you are coming from as when I started posting three years ago it was effectively a dead site with no moderation team at all. The problem now is that although there is a moderator he doesn’t do anything, so he may as well not exist. To be honest I couldn’t care less about the forums as it was just an added extra as far as I was concerned, but what he doesn’t seem to realise is that the main site is turning into a joke and the ‘report for removal’ feature may as well say ‘bugger off, we’re not bothered’.
I’m in a difficult position now as, no offence to the excellent admin of this site, I have reviewed almost 1200 pubs over there and it makes it very difficult to track where I have and haven’t been if I start reviewing pubs just on here.

After having a fag and yet another can of Guinness I have now decided to only post reviews on here as the latest rant from the overlord shows nothing but contempt and leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth – and that is not just the Guinness that I left too long in the freezer so the widget doesn’t work – it’s my last one from the box and I’m not wasting it!

There’s a fantastic community on here and long may it continue, hats off to you all!

rpadam
03-02-2010, 00:27
I have reviewed almost 1200 pubs over there and it makes it very difficult to track where I have and haven’t been if I start reviewing pubs just on here.
I don't wish to dwell on the old days, but like Strongers I have reviewed over 1000 pubs on "the other place" which leaves me in a quandary.

Obviously the forums here are much better run (thanks Conrad), but the PG database is miles behind you-know-where.

What do I do now?

Maldenman
03-02-2010, 00:36
I have copied and pasted some of my more recent reviews, with amendments as necessary. The difficult bit is what to do with older ones as they may not be relevant and on here pop up as new. I personally do not wish to lose them, but all I can offer as advice is to copy them into word or wherever so if the opportunity arises to reuse you can. This topic was discussed at length tonight in the pub by a couple of regular users. Older reviews of course may still be realistic but I'm sure a pub revisit will assist in anyone's decision.:D

Strongers
03-02-2010, 00:49
I don't wish to dwell on the old days, but like Strongers I have reviewed over 1000 pubs on "the other place" which leaves me in a quandary.

Obviously the forums here are much better run (thanks Conrad), but the PG database is miles behind you-know-where.

What do I do now?

I've decided to review only on here and just rate the pub over the road as to keep in check with the database.

I personally do not wish to lose them, but all I can offer as advice is to copy them into word or wherever so if the opportunity arises to reuse you can. This topic was discussed at length tonight in the pub by a couple of regular users. Older reviews of course may still be realistic but I'm sure a pub revisit will assist in anyone's decision.:D

That's a good tip and i've done just that. It would be good if it was possible to see all the comments that have been written by one self on here without clicking on the individual pub - is it possible?

Conrad
03-02-2010, 00:53
Ok, suffering from insomnia, and Internet connection has finally come back to a semblance of life. :)

Sorry feel a need to be defensive here, so take this as me caring about the site.

The only way I believe the PuG site is technically behind BITE is the quantity of reviews, the list of pubs I believe is more current (thanks to the community), and we are currently dealing with all corrections within 1 working day (and yes I am being bitchy there, but once again I am proud of this site).

Anything we can do to help you enjoy the site we want to do, people not reviewing because we don't have reviews is a bit of a Catch 22 for me :( Maldenman, would it help if I come up with a way of letting you doctor the date on your reviews (and indeed any of the BITE members who we know wont abuse it)?

Sorry that post is more bluntly worded than I would normally go for, but given everything being said on this thread I really want to convey that I do give a damn about this site.

Conrad
03-02-2010, 00:56
That's a good tip and i've done just that. It would be good if it was possible to see all the comments that have been written by one self on here without clicking on the individual pub - is it possible?
In the box on the right that you log in to there is a link saying Your Contributions, I am hoping to do some light work to improve it in the near future, so if there are changes you want to it let me know in the Suggestions Box.

Strongers
03-02-2010, 01:18
In the box on the right that you log in to there is a link saying Your Contributions, I am hoping to do some light work to improve it in the near future, so if there are changes you want to it let me know in the Suggestions Box.

I've already posted a question in there, but I'll have a good look at the threads tomorrow so that I don't start covering old ground.

Ok, suffering from insomnia, and Internet connection has finally come back to a semblance of life. :)

Sorry feel a need to be defensive here, so take this as me caring about the site.

The only way I believe the PuG site is technically behind BITE is the quantity of reviews, the list of pubs I believe is more current (thanks to the community), and we are currently dealing with all corrections within 1 working day (and yes I am being bitchy there, but once again I am proud of this site).

Anything we can do to help you enjoy the site we want to do, people not reviewing because we don't have reviews is a bit of a Catch 22 for me :( Maldenman, would it help if I come up with a way of letting you doctor the date on your reviews (and indeed any of the BITE members who we know wont abuse it)?

Sorry that post is more bluntly worded than I would normally go for, but given everything being said on this thread I really want to convey that I do give a damn about this site.

I didn't really see the point of posting old reviews as they would be out of date, but if it is possible to post date them to bolster the review content I would be more than happy spending some time transferring some of my more informative reviews onto this site.

It’s great to see that you are defensive of this site and I apologise for discussing BITE so much, but I’m readjusting – you could say that I’ve just emigrated and am trying to sort out my affairs. I’ve already noticed the speed at which this site gets updated and I think it is great. You don’t break ties that you’ve had for three years involving hundreds of hours lightly.

Also, it’s true what they say then – you never sleep!;)

Conrad
03-02-2010, 01:27
It’s great to see that you are defensive of this site and I apologise for discussing BITE so much, but I’m readjusting – you could say that I’ve just emigrated and am trying to sort out my affairs. I’ve already noticed the speed at which this site gets updated and I think it is great. You don’t break ties that you’ve had for three years involving hundreds of hours lightly.

Also, it’s true what they say then – you never sleep!;)
I have no problem with people chatting about BITE (ok well maybe a small problem ;)), I think you get a lot further by being open about things, if you lot weren't chatting about BITE here I wouldn't be seeing so much constructive criticism. I also think there is a lot of venom that needs excising, and it is nice to just get it all out in this thread.

Being honest I guess the hardest part is not interjecting constantly with my feelings about BITE, it would seem a little opportunistic if I started putting the boot in myself now though.

I wish it weren't true, but sadly there are nights where my brain does its best not to sleep, clearly I need some of the Beast :drinkup: ;)

Strongers
03-02-2010, 01:40
You show good restraint!

It’s good to put things down in writing whilst supping a few beers as it clears the brain and I always make my best decisions half cut.

Salute:drinkup:

Millay
03-02-2010, 07:08

What do I do now?

For me PG is now my main site for pub reviews and forum use. When planning pub crawls, trips etc. I'll probably go to BITE first (although I do like the PG map function better as it shows icons for nearby pubs, something that BITE doesn't). If my investigations on BITE, or indeed in 'real life', highlight a deficiency in the PG database then I'll suggest changes in the certain knowledge that they will be acted upon. I think that is the best way of helping PG continue it's development.

As for old reviews, like most others I have transferred across some recent ones and updated some older ones often after a fresh visit. On some older ones I have added in the date of the visit but the ability to date the review as suggested by Conrad seems a good one. I think this should only be for a short period of time though, what we really should be doing is going out and visiting or re-visiting pubs. I have trips to Edinburgh and to Manchester already in my diary for March so will no doubt re-visit a few old favourites :drinkup:

ETA
03-02-2010, 07:27
I'm going to start reviewing from scratch - things change too quickly at the moment, and any review which is more than a couple of months old may well be out of date. I've found that a couple of times before. he worst case was a pub which closed, opened, closed then opened again while I was waiting for it to be added (not a criticism of the site but of the speed at which these things happen).

Strongers
03-02-2010, 08:35
I'm going to start reviewing from scratch - things change too quickly at the moment, and any review which is more than a couple of months old may well be out of date. I've found that a couple of times before. he worst case was a pub which closed, opened, closed then opened again while I was waiting for it to be added (not a criticism of the site but of the speed at which these things happen).

Whilst I agree that this is true I do think that it is better to have a review on a pub, be it old or not, as someone reading it is far more likely to leave their own comment if there is already one there.

Eddie86
03-02-2010, 08:44

given that the normal update time is 24 hours on here your worst case scenario is just Monday opening hours around here! Fortunately I dont have any old reviews to worry about, but there aee recent ones coming

ROBCamra
03-02-2010, 09:45
I have trips to Edinburgh and to Manchester already in my diary for March so will no doubt re-visit a few old favourites :drinkup:

If you fancy a meet up when you're in Manchester I'm sure I could arrange to be around. :cheers:

Corbieres ? :drinkup:

runningdog
03-02-2010, 10:27
I'm going to start reviewing from scratch - things change too quickly at the moment, and any review which is more than a couple of months old may well be out of date.

That's my plan too, I've started revisiting pubs in the area that I don't use much, if at all, and have had a couple of shocks already. I don't get to that many pubs so I don't do a lot of reviews. Even when I head away from home I tend to visit the pubs I know, as one of my little philosphies is that the best way to get good service is to become a regular, or at least get your face known.
Just a thought, Conrad. Would a short, rather generalised comment, such as;
"Small family run pub, the ales is decent and food value for money. Tricky parking"
be better than no comment at all? There are a lot of places in my area, well Wessex really, that I feel qualified to make such a comment on, while it may be months before I'll get to them to do a more detailed review.:drinkup::drinkup:

Conrad
03-02-2010, 10:35
Just a thought, Conrad. Would a short, rather generalised comment, such as;
"Small family run pub, the ales is decent and food value for money. Tricky parking"
be better than no comment at all? There are a lot of places in my area, well Wessex really, that I feel qualified to make such a comment on, while it may be months before I'll get to them to do a more detailed review.:drinkup::drinkup:
From my perspective yes! As has already been mentioned reviews kind of breed reviews. The only issue I have with it is that at some point I hope to make the site a little more about the regulars, so that if someone likes your reviews they can more easily find all you your reviews. So if some of your reviews are the short shots it may devalue your work to the casual viewer if you see what I mean. I don't know if anyone else has any ideas on how to avoid that?

Rex_Rattus
03-02-2010, 10:49
I've kept all my reviews in a Word document since the time when in Another Place the reviews would disappear into a black hole on being posted, never to appear on the pub's page. I've read shorter books than that Word document, and like some others I feel a bit sad about abandoning them, as it were. Also, I won't re-post reviews on PuG that are more than a month or so old for reasons already stated. What I plan to do is validate old reviews by repeat visits whenever possible, and use those parts of my old reviews that remain accurate - such as layout (in most cases), decor, furnishings, etc. Should work, although a lengthy, but enjoyable, task.

runningdog
03-02-2010, 11:14
From my perspective yes! As has already been mentioned reviews kind of breed reviews. The only issue I have with it is that at some point I hope to make the site a little more about the regulars, so that if someone likes your reviews they can more easily find all you your reviews. So if some of your reviews are the short shots it may devalue your work to the casual viewer if you see what I mean. I don't know if anyone else has any ideas on how to avoid that?
Yeah, it's a good point, Conrad, but I guess I can put up with it. I am only thinking short term, most, if not all, will be visited in the next eighteen months or so.
I think I'd best explain, during the summer, Mrs rd and I travel around the country at weekends to lurcher shows and country fairs. Our time off site is limited so we tend to go to places that we know, the same applies on the journeys there and back, same routes, same pubs. It may sound a bit unexciting to all you travelling men, but it has an upside. Nowadays, we rarely have anything less than a good time. From the Dartmoor to the Peaks, from Salop to the Dales, there must be about 100 or so pubs in which we feel at home. All in all, I like it. Now, on top of that I may get to meet some of you...here's to us, the PuGs, and good pubs everywhere...:drinkup::cheers:

trainman
03-02-2010, 11:14
On some older ones I have added in the date of the visit but the ability to date the review as suggested by Conrad seems a good one.
I dunno, I think if I copied over reviews from elsewhere then the addition of original date to the script might be sufficient, rather than 'jibbing' the PuG date. Also, I think many reviews could be reproduced without worrying too much about whether the content reflects the current state of the pub - many will have been revisited since the review so, in my case, often only the list of beers will have changed (which would within a few days anyway) and, besides, any date annotation allows an observer to choose whether the pub may be (still) worth a visit.

Conrad
03-02-2010, 11:41
I've kept all my reviews in a Word document....
I actually kind of like this idea as a feature, allow users to output a document of their own reviews, write your own pub review book. :)

Gann
03-02-2010, 16:40
Looks like I've found the tunnel as well... Hope I'm welcome...

arwkrite
03-02-2010, 16:45
What a lifestyle R.D.
:cheers:

I may get my self a pair of Labradors and start a comedy act. I bet you have friends all over the country. Me , I am green with envy. Long may you and mrs R.D. reign. Remember to put a sticker in the windscreen" Running Dog On Tour":notworthy:

Conrad
03-02-2010, 16:46
Hi Gann,

Hopefully everyone is welcome here, at least until they prove otherwise.

Glad to have you, I think you know a lot of the people already here, me and Dave M are the site admins so if you have any problems, queries or suggestions to improve the site then please do let us know.

Pull up a chair with the rest and hope you enjoy a long stay,

Conrad

oldboots
03-02-2010, 16:49
Looks like I've found the tunnel as well... Hope I'm welcome...

very much so, there may be a few more after Chris's latest hissy fit.

Maldenman
03-02-2010, 16:57
I've copied a few of my recent reviews over now and the extremely useful tool enabling rewriting or error correction means any non relevant stuff or misleading info can be easily altered. I don't think I'll go back too far though as things do change and I certainly do not wish to mislead.

runningdog
03-02-2010, 19:40
What a lifestyle R.D.
:cheers::
It's hard work, getting harder as we get older and the cost of fuel is beginning to be a real strain..........:drinkup:

Pubsignman
03-02-2010, 21:16
Hi everyone

Another BITE refugee here. I didn't contribute much on the BITE forums so my name may not be familiar to the other exiles but I was a regular reviewer on the main site and have decided to make the move to this site which thankfully appears to be very well run, if sadly lacking in reviews at present.

I'm a Dorset lad, born and bred but now living in the concrete fields of Croydon, South London. I enjoy visiting different types of pub, although I prefer the traditional pub with good ale selection. I mostly drink in Croydon which, despite its reputation, has plenty of excellent pubs which I've tried to highlight through my reviews. As an AFC Bournemouth fan, I get to try out to pubs around the country at various away games and I make numerous forays into Central London to check out recommended pubs in and around the city. I also collect photos of traditional pub signs and I'm in the process of putting together a website to showcase them, although I've never done any form of web design before, so it's all a bit patchy at the moment!!

I'm hoping to transfer a few of my recent reviews from BITE onto this site, plus any older ones that I am confident will still be relevant. I presume this is allowed.

I'm also a bit confused about the review facility here, as it seems you can only recommend pubs - are reviews of pubs you disliked discouraged from this site?

Anyway, enough of me. Look forward to getting to know the site better over time.

Pubsignman

Millay
03-02-2010, 21:45
Another BITE refugee here. I didn't contribute much on the BITE forums so my name may not be familiar to the other exiles

I'm a Dorset lad, born and bred but now living in the concrete fields of Croydon, South London.
I'm also a bit confused about the review facility here, as it seems you can only recommend pubs - are reviews of pubs you disliked discouraged from this site?

Welcome Pubsignman, I recognise the name from your reviews.

There's another Croydon based member called slerpy that I'm hoping may join up (that's not you as well is it?)

I think the word 'recommendation' has caused a bit of confusion before but just use it for reviews, good or bad, as you normally would. Negative reviews are OK I think provided you give reasons why you think it's bad.

Cheers

Conrad
03-02-2010, 21:51
Hi pubsignman,

Welcome to PuG, myself and Dave are the site admins, so if you have any problems, queries or suggestions on how to improve the site please do let us know.

Your reviews are your own and we would love to have them on our site, it improves the site and helps the other members. The recommendations aspect is an attempt by us to try and influence people towards more positive reviews, I would prefer if our site doesn't turn into a series of 1 drop reviews slagging off bad service people happened to receive at a pub. More discussion about our reviewing policy and peoples take on it can be found in this thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?445-Reviewing-standards). Basically it boils down to the fact that if you have a history of reviews then negative reviews make sense as people can compare them to the pubs you do like.

Youngie, one of our irregular posters on the forum is a pub sign painter (well worth taking a glance at this thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?411-Lets-Design-a-Pub-Sign%21&highlight=sign)), and we have a member on the main site who contributes massive series of pub signs and is involved with The Inn Sign Society (http://www.innsignsociety.com/) if that is your interest. I myself find them fantastic, and if you are willing to share them we would love to show your sign photos on the main site, also if you get your site going let us know about it as we are keen to promote any directly pub related sites.

Anyway, thanks for the introduction and hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

runningdog
03-02-2010, 21:52
Hi everyone Another BITE refugee here. I didn't contribute much on the BITE forums so my name may not be familiar to the other exiles but I was a regular reviewer on the main site and have decided to make the move to this site which thankfully appears to be very well run, if sadly lacking in reviews at present.
Pubsignman

Welcome to the wateringhole, I've seen your reviews many a time, found them to be reliable. You're an ex-pat Dorset Boy, I'm one by adoption. AFC ain't doing too bad at all, mate, which is more than can be said for poor old Pompey. Yeah, I know, 'Stand up if yer hate Pompey'. I don't but I'm not too fond of Mr. Rednapp Snr. See you around...:drinkup::drinkup:..........

Millay
03-02-2010, 22:08
If you fancy a meet up when you're in Manchester I'm sure I could arrange to be around. :cheers:

Corbieres ? :drinkup:

That sounds like a good plan Rob. I'm meeting up with my John Smiths Smooth drinking mates on Friday 19th March, probably near Salford Central station. I think you recommended a pub around there last year, was it the Kings Arms, I'd like to get there this time.

I'll be staying in Manchester Saturday and Sunday, hopefully being joined by Grailhunter (of Bath Blog fame) and we'll be doing some of the better real ale pubs. Would be good to meet up if you are free that weekend, although I've just realised that the Sunday is the Man Utd v Liverpool game so the City Centre will be manic.

Let me know nearer the time if you can make it and we'll set something up. Not sure about Corbieres though, I'm still getting stick from my mates for getting caught in a wine bar last year :eek:

Cheers
Clive

Conrad
03-02-2010, 22:16
There's another Croydon based member called slerpy that I'm hoping may join up (that's not you as well is it?)
I suspect slerpy's non-appearance is my fault, he was trying a couple of days ago and presumably got frustrated.

I may drop him a follow up email and try and make sure we have helped him enough, I am always reticent to send unsolicited emails but equally would be annoyed if he doesn't make it. I'll chat with Dave tomorrow.

Maldenman
03-02-2010, 22:23
Slerpy is ok Conrad, no concerns there.

Millay
03-02-2010, 22:30
I suspect slerpy's non-appearance is my fault, he was trying a couple of days ago and presumably got frustrated.

I may drop him a follow up email and try and make sure we have helped him enough, I am always reticent to send unsolicited emails but equally would be annoyed if he doesn't make it. I'll chat with Dave tomorrow.

Thanks Conrad, I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Pubsignman
03-02-2010, 22:31
Welcome Pubsignman, I recognise the name from your reviews.

Cheers

Thanks Millay

No multiple personalities here I'm afraid!! I'm hoping to make it down to the festival at the Cricketers in Addiscombe tomorrow (work permitting). If I meet slerpy there I'll give him another nudge in this direction.

Conrad
03-02-2010, 22:37
Slerpy is ok Conrad, no concerns there.
Ok, will leave it alone then, thanks for letting me know :)

Strongers
03-02-2010, 22:39
Hi everyone

Another BITE refugee here. I didn't contribute much on the BITE forums so my name may not be familiar to the other exiles but I was a regular reviewer on the main site and have decided to make the move to this site which thankfully appears to be very well run, if sadly lacking in reviews at present.

Pubsignman

You made it up to sunny Barnet not long ago if memory serves me correctly.

Good to see you here.:cheers:

Pubsignman
03-02-2010, 22:47
Hi pubsignman,

Welcome to PuG, myself and Dave are the site admins, so if you have any problems, queries or suggestions on how to improve the site please do let us know.

Your reviews are your own and we would love to have them on our site, it improves the site and helps the other members. The recommendations aspect is an attempt by us to try and influence people towards more positive reviews, I would prefer if our site doesn't turn into a series of 1 drop reviews slagging off bad service people happened to receive at a pub. More discussion about our reviewing policy and peoples take on it can be found in this thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?445-Reviewing-standards). Basically it boils down to the fact that if you have a history of reviews then negative reviews make sense as people can compare them to the pubs you do like.

Youngie, one of our irregular posters on the forum is a pub sign painter (well worth taking a glance at this thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?411-Lets-Design-a-Pub-Sign%21&highlight=sign)), and we have a member on the main site who contributes massive series of pub signs and is involved with The Inn Sign Society (http://www.innsignsociety.com/) if that is your interest. I myself find them fantastic, and if you are willing to share them we would love to show your sign photos on the main site, also if you get your site going let us know about it as we are keen to promote any directly pub related sites.

Anyway, thanks for the introduction and hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

Thanks for the warm welcome Conrad. I really appreciate the offer to promote my site. I'm finding it hard to make time to put it together, as my utter incompetance with even the most basic HTML principles means that I take forever to do even the simplest of tasks!! Still, I'm enjoying learning about how to construct a site and hopefully I'll have something to present eventually. The thread about Youngie's sign was interesting to read and the end product was excellent. The thing I like about pub signs is that even the crappiest pub can have this single redeeming feature in the shape of a great pub sign.

With regards the negative reviews aspect - I obviously don't intend to come here just to make negative comments, but at the same time I want to review all the pubs I visit, and inevitably that would include the occasional duffer.

I like the beer of the week thread as well. I might be making an appearance there soon too!!

Pubsignman
03-02-2010, 22:52
Welcome to the wateringhole, I've seen your reviews many a time, found them to be reliable. You're an ex-pat Dorset Boy, I'm one by adoption. AFC ain't doing too bad at all, mate, which is more than can be said for poor old Pompey. Yeah, I know, 'Stand up if yer hate Pompey'. I don't but I'm not too fond of Mr. Rednapp Snr. See you around...:drinkup::drinkup:..........

Yeah, the Cherries have done surprisingly well given their transfer embargo. We only had 13 players to pick from against Rotherham last night and yet somehow still won. It's a shame to see Pompey struggling - there's always been a good relationship between AFCB and Pompey fans - and as much as I'd love to see them stay up, I fear the worse (another defeat tonight).

Conrad
03-02-2010, 23:11
Thanks for the warm welcome Conrad. I really appreciate the offer to promote my site. I'm finding it hard to make time to put it together, as my utter incompetance with even the most basic HTML principles means that I take forever to do even the simplest of tasks!! Still, I'm enjoying learning about how to construct a site and hopefully I'll have something to present eventually. The thread about Youngie's sign was interesting to read and the end product was excellent. The thing I like about pub signs is that even the crappiest pub can have this single redeeming feature in the shape of a great pub sign.
If you ever want to ask any questions do feel free to ask, can't promise to know the answer, but I do enjoy coding and am happy to offer any pointers I can. And agree completely with you on pub signs, they just add their personality to the pub.

Soup Dragon
03-02-2010, 23:20
Good to see you PSM - always had a soft spot for Bournemouth, as have relavives in Poole - I have been to Dean Court and watched them

ROBCamra
04-02-2010, 08:12
That sounds like a good plan Rob. I'm meeting up with my John Smiths Smooth drinking mates on Friday 19th March, probably near Salford Central station. I think you recommended a pub around there last year, was it the Kings Arms, I'd like to get there this time.

I'll be staying in Manchester Saturday and Sunday, hopefully being joined by Grailhunter (of Bath Blog fame) and we'll be doing some of the better real ale pubs. Would be good to meet up if you are free that weekend, although I've just realised that the Sunday is the Man Utd v Liverpool game so the City Centre will be manic.

Let me know nearer the time if you can make it and we'll set something up. Not sure about Corbieres though, I'm still getting stick from my mates for getting caught in a wine bar last year :eek:

Cheers
Clive

Kings Head, New Oxford and Black Lion would be three in the area to try and convert your JS Smooth drinking mates. :cheers:

They take the p*ss out of you for going to a wine bar that sells the real stuff and then drink JS Smooth? :eek:

Take the moral high ground sir! :p

Bucking Fastard
04-02-2010, 12:28
Have been posting pub reviews on BITE for the last year but became disallusioned after suggesting some outstanding pubs near Stoke on Trent in July 09 which have still not appeared on the BITE site.This included one of the best I've ever visited , the Black Lion Inn at Consall Forge, which I have now reviewed on this site.
I travel around England and Wales on my narrowboat and rely heavily on The Good Beer Guide,BITE and now Pubs Galore to suss out suitable pubs on my travels and I need to find good ale in hopefully real pubs to avoid the threat of mutiny.:)
I have only recently posted on the BITE forums but the infantile abuse of posters whose pub reviews I really valued has led me to this excellent alternative site.
BTW my user name is a brew from the Northumberland Brewery in case anyone was worried that I may be a potty mouthed troll.;)

hopwas
04-02-2010, 12:36
Hi Fuc.. Ahem I mean Bucking Fastard!

Welcome to PG!

I wondered do you ever pass Hopwas near Tamworth on Narrowboat? There is 2 pubs on either side of Canal, The Red Lion and Tame Otter.

I hope you enjoy your time on here

Hoppy

Bucking Fastard
04-02-2010, 12:47
Hoppy,
I reviewed The Tame Otter on the other site,very good lunchtime pints Of Tiger .Not overly impressed with The Red Lion but didnt bother posting on that one.
I really liked the Sir Robert Peel in Tamworth but its a long walk from the canal at Anchor Bridge.

Cheers

B_F

Conrad
04-02-2010, 12:48
Damn beaten by Hoppy, well done ;)

Have been posting pub reviews on BITE for the last year but became disallusioned after suggesting some outstanding pubs near Stoke on Trent in July 09 which have still not appeared on the BITE site.This included one of the best I've ever visited , the Black Lion Inn at Consall Forge, which I have now reviewed on this site.
I travel around England and Wales on my narrowboat and rely heavily on The Good Beer Guide,BITE and now Pubs Galore to suss out suitable pubs on my travels and I need to find good ale in hopefully real pubs to avoid the threat of mutiny.:)
I have only recently posted on the BITE forums but the infantile abuse of posters whose pub reviews I really valued has led me to this excellent alternative site.
BTW my user name is a brew from the Northumberland Brewery in case anyone was worried that I may be a potty mouthed troll.;)
Hi Bucking Fastard,

Just in case you haven't had the spiel, myself and Dave M are the admins of the site, so if you have any problems, queries or suggestions on how to improve the site please do let us know. Hoppy is PG's original chatty member but I think you will know most of the others.

I have to admit I did kind of assume with that name that you were a troll :o, snuck off and did a little research before you posted and was pleased to discover how wrong I was.

Glad to have you here, and appreciate the friendly words, I look forward to your reviews and hope you have a long and enjoyable stay here.

ps. Please do keep posting I really want these forums to be thriving and alive, it is a genuine joy to me seeing all the posts with people trying to meet up going on.

hopwas
04-02-2010, 12:51
I really liked the Sir Robert Peel in Tamworth but its a long walk from the canal at Anchor Bridge.

Cheers

B_F

:eek::eek::eek:

That's serious long walk! Oh Anchor Bridge.. I take it you mean The Anchor?