Pages : 1 [2] 3

hondo
04-02-2010, 12:00
only just :twigs::twigs: hopwas is a place :o:confused::nishelypished:
found this
http://www.tamworth-heritage-pubs.co.uk/index.html

Bucking Fastard
04-02-2010, 12:00
Thanks Conrad.I will post pub reviews on here regularly from now on and will have a word with a few mates who also share my beer and boating interests and get them to contribute as well.From early impressions this does seem a real community site and I hope it works financially as well.Here's hoping that you will soon get to the first page on Google organic searches.
If the user name is too much ,let me know and I will change it.

hopwas
04-02-2010, 12:07
only just :twigs::twigs: hopwas is a place :o:confused::nishelypished:
found this
http://www.tamworth-heritage-pubs.co.uk/index.html

:D

I actually worked on that website with friend and others of mine many years ago. We no longer update it but decided to leave it on for people to have a look at our pubs in Tamworth.

If you see picture of extreme bottom left corner, you will see a woman pulling a pint.. she is close friend of me and former landlady of The Albert.

Thanks for bringing it up.. I completely forgotten it!

Oh Hopwas is a Villiage in Lichfield District (Not belong to Tamworth as many people thought)

Hoppy

Bucking Fastard
04-02-2010, 12:08
Hoppy ,.You can imagine that trying to persuade a thirsty crew that it is worth walking a long way into Tamworth for a decent pint requires good information on the intended target.However after a visit to The Anchor ,I didnt have to persuade too much .

hopwas
04-02-2010, 12:15
Yup thats it .You can imagine that trying to persuade a thirsty crew that it is worth walking a long way for a decent pint requires good information on the intended target.However after a visit to The Anchor ,I didnt have to persuade too much .

I salute you!

Once Me and my friends did pub crawl from west Derby to east Derby (Around 15 miles) in 8 hours.

Our legs were pretty much knackered!

Recently I did pub crawl from Sutton Coldfield to Erdington (around 8 miles) in 6 hours. (See thread: http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?629-Sutton-Coldfield-Erdington-pub-crawl-(P1))

I love long pub crawls and good way to slim my beer belly :whistle:

hondo
04-02-2010, 13:07

I actually worked on that website with friend and others of mine many years ago. We no longer update it but decided to leave it on for people to have a look at our pubs in Tamworth.

If you see picture of extreme bottom left corner, you will see a woman pulling a pint.. she is close friend of me and former landlady of The Albert.

Thanks for bringing it up.. I completely forgotten it!

Oh Hopwas is a Villiage in Lichfield District (Not belong to Tamworth as many people thought)

Hoppy

Six degrees of separation :cool:

Conrad
04-02-2010, 13:39
Thanks Conrad.I will post pub reviews on here regularly from now on and will have a word with a few mates who also share my beer and boating interests and get them to contribute as well.From early impressions this does seem a real community site and I hope it works financially as well.Here's hoping that you will soon get to the first page on Google organic searches.
If the user name is too much ,let me know and I will change it.
Thanks we appreciate all promotion :).

Dave is snowed under at the moment but is part way through preparing a post about Google so that we share our understanding of what is going on, broadly speaking though if anyone wants to give us links that helps ;) and definitely all the new reviews that people are doing and the fact that we have such a good cross-section of the country represented will only help us.

The site is currently not working financially :(. But that is partly our fault, we really need to start offering the pubs some benefits so that we can ask them to help us in running the site. We are big believers that if you have a solid community you can make money through various methods, and just in case anyone is wondering there is no plans to flood the site with ads, certainly not pop-under/overs. We try to be as transparent as possible though so if anyone ever wants any answers on any of those aspects feel free to ask, the worst we will do is just suggest we don't want to answer the question.

User name is fine, if it wasn't spoonerised I would reject it, but otherwise your contributions should be what you are judged on :)

Gann
04-02-2010, 14:23
Whilst I am in flow as well, we wont be setting up a private forum for post counts, that just prohibits new blood. No problem with private zones, but the qualifier should make sense.

Sorry Cornrad if this has been covered already as I am backreading some of these threads since joining.
For me this is a key point that I am in agreement with. I gave up on the BITE forums when the admin put the protected forum out of the reach or any late comers and then only posted key site information on the protected forum.

I even had the experience of the admin slapping a BITE God for exposing protected forum information to the unworthy, which I took as quality behavior...

Therefore fully supportive of your views...

Conrad
04-02-2010, 14:32
Sorry Cornrad if this has been covered already as I am backreading some of these threads since joining.
For me this is a key point that I am in agreement with. I gave up on the BITE forums when the admin put the protected forum out of the reach or any late comers and then only posted key site information on the protected forum.

I even had the experience of the admin slapping a BITE God for exposing protected forum information to the unworthy, which I took as quality behavior...

It is easy to be wise after the event, so this isn't a dig at any who agreed with it. But I do think a forum should be alive and welcome newcomers, people will leave forums for various reasons, and sometimes you just run out of things to chat about - so you do need new blood constantly coming in to keep things alive and interesting. A goalpost based private community like that, particularly one that was a moving target is always just on a hiding to stagnate for me and where it was so unachievable to get in it will just irritate new comers.

Going forward if we can get publicans more involved in the site I would like to give them a private corner to chat in, if they want to, which I hope is understandable. But other than that I think PM's offer the only level of privacy needed.

ROBCamra
04-02-2010, 14:48

Was that the one on how the top twenty pubs were calculated?

If so, I have to confess it was indeed I who got the slap from :muppet:chris:muppet:

I didn't agree with his reasoning then and I still don't.

You are promoting me way above my station though Gann.

I only ever made BITE Fanatic. Godliness was reserved for others. :notworthy:

Strongers
04-02-2010, 20:38

If so, I have to confess it was indeed I who got the slap from :muppet:chris:muppet:

I was a god once, but was demoted to Super Member - I was a little upset, but the wife didn't mind!:D

runningdog
04-02-2010, 21:02
I was a god once, but was demoted to Super Member - I was a little upset, but the wife didn't mind!:D
Never got beyond Super meself, but I do remember your reign as a godhead figure. But, wasn't it our MrB wot got the smack in the gob(d)...:drinkup::drinkup:

runningdog
04-02-2010, 21:44
As if pulled by some alien tractor beam, I found myself logging on to BitE just now.But that is it, balderdash and piffle don't come close. I know that some on here intend to keep a foot in either camp, I respect that, but I don't agree with them. Unless there is some major sea-change, I don't intend to go near the site again.
It's something I've encountered twice before, in different fields of interest, I've not regretted either. Put simply, I'm too old for misplaced loyalty...:drinkup::drinkup:

trainman
04-02-2010, 22:17
I gave up on the BITE forums when the admin put the protected forum out of the reach or any late comers and then only posted key site information on the protected forum.
To be fair, many regular contributors, still way short of the post criteria, were granted concessionary entry into the secure forum as an area to avoid the (2) moronic trolls. Sorry, Gann, if the exemption list missed you at the time. Maybe that rare admin energy would have been better spent shooting down obvious troll abuse as the forums there have undoubtedly dies a death; the main site, though, still offers by far the best insight into target pubs for a visit/crawl (option to limit by rating, distance from station, easily visible reviews, etc).
So, for me, P(u)G is winning hands down for forum & admin/mod friendliness, but BITE is many divisions higher in terms of main site usefulness.

oldboots
05-02-2010, 07:34
So, for me, P(u)G is winning hands down for forum & admin/mod friendliness, but BITE is many divisions higher in terms of main site usefulness.

True, but only for now.

PuG will only be as good as we make it. Get out there and review pubs, go through the entries for areas you know and help get the database as accurate as possible, make those suggestions for improvements,

After all BITE started somewhere.

Strongers
05-02-2010, 08:16
still offers by far the best insight into target pubs for a visit/crawl (option to limit by rating, distance from station, easily visible reviews, etc).

I actually think that the map option on this site is far easier to use. This was discussed on another thread where this newbie discovered that if you type the staion name in the search box eg 'New Southgate Train Station' or 'Morden Tube Station' you can select a map with all of the nearby pubs and not just the one as it is on BITE. I even typed my road name in and was able to select it. I found a pub 5 minutes walk from my house that I didn't know existed and I've lived here for three years. Shame the pub isn't very good though!

The reviews will obviously take time to bolster, but this site has just gained some of the most prolific pub reviewers in the country!

ROBCamra
05-02-2010, 08:18

Actually I did make Super Member briefly just before the rules changed.

Luckily the other half didn't have time to get used to it before I reverted to normal. ;)

an_ecumenical_matter
05-02-2010, 10:50
Hello all. Met up with Quinno in the Nags Head Reading who reminded me that here was the place to hang out!!! They actually had an absolutely STUNNING pint of Oakleaf Piston Porter on there last Sunday,a gallon was had I think !!! :glass:

I've managed to spell me handle correct this time unlike on the other channel. Tis a pity the bloke has left it go down the tubes over there but he has his ideas (or lack of!!!) and its his football and if he wants to play with it his way,well thats up to him.

I was thinking though,would it be possible to repost reviews through copy/paste from there to here but to maintain the chronology??? For example if I reviewed the Nags in 2008,could the review be listed at the correct date?? Just an idea but the regulars could really make PG somewhere to refer to if we could. The archive of reviews is whats good on BITE,you can see the peaks and troughs of landlords coming and going or pubco houses changing to freehouses etc.

Anyway glad to be along,nearly time to head for the Seven Stars,Mr Snuffys Old Ale 5.9% was rather good last night...............

hopwas
05-02-2010, 10:54
Hi An ecumenical matter or aem if you prefer..

Welcome to PG forum.

Conrad and Dave M is admin on here. Soup Dragon and Alehearty is Moderators.

Hope you enjoy your time on here.

Hoppy.

P.S about repost reviews through copy/paste. I am sure Conrad will tell you about that

Conrad
05-02-2010, 10:58
Ok thanks to ob & Strongers for basically saying what I am thinking.

It sounds like from what you are saying trainman you actually only want to use BITE, I personally don't want this site to just be BITE, I want it to be something that continues to evolve and get better.

The problem I have is that I don't necessarily see all the things others do, for instance I never use trains, so the suggestions for trains stations mean nothing to me. Some of the members have been asking about train and tube stations on this thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?962-Train-and-tube-stations&p=6262#post6262), until someone replies to that for me it is going to stand still as no one has told me what they actually want to see and I have no idea what the expectation is. I have been over to BITE and looked at the train stuff, I can certainly duplicate it easily enough, but if that is all I am doing it for this site may as well be BITE moderated.

So if our site really is that bad tell me why, I personally am not in this just to have a nice forum I have to moderate, I want the best pub site with a forum.

Gann
05-02-2010, 11:09

Yes Rob, you are correct. This was the incident that irked me the most, probably even above the apparent apathy to deal with the Trolls...
And apologies for promoting your importance, but for us juniors Fanaticism was close to godliness.....:)

Conrad
05-02-2010, 11:11
And again Hoppy beats me whilst I am having a rant :)

Hello all. Met up with Quinno in the Nags Head Reading who reminded me that here was the place to hang out!!! They actually had an absolutely STUNNING pint of Oakleaf Piston Porter on there last Sunday,a gallon was had I think !!! :glass:

I've managed to spell me handle correct this time unlike on the other channel. Tis a pity the bloke has left it go down the tubes over there but he has his ideas (or lack of!!!) and its his football and if he wants to play with it his way,well thats up to him.

I was thinking though,would it be possible to repost reviews through copy/paste from there to here but to maintain the chronology??? For example if I reviewed the Nags in 2008,could the review be listed at the correct date?? Just an idea but the regulars could really make PG somewhere to refer to if we could. The archive of reviews is whats good on BITE,you can see the peaks and troughs of landlords coming and going or pubco houses changing to freehouses etc.

Anyway glad to be along,nearly time to head for the Seven Stars,Mr Snuffys Old Ale 5.9% was rather good last night...............

Hi Yeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr {knock} I mean an ecumenical matter,

Good to have you on board. As Hoppy said, me and Dave M are the admins if you have any other queries, problems or suggestions on how to improve the site do let us know.

The copy & paste is possible, limitations are as you say the date of the review, which we can fix here (it is touched upon way back when in this thread) and the fact that currently we only allow one review per user, that will go away but we are stuck with it at the moment. For people asking about this, hang fire we are looking into the changing of times at our end and will hopefully have some news next week. Anyone should feel free to hassle me via a suggestions forum thread or PM if you are in a rush to get more info.

Also good to have someone from Bristol who actually knows what they're on about as well, we are just embarrassing, and hopefully buy you a drink Seven Stars at some point :)

Conrad

aleandhearty
05-02-2010, 11:20
True, but only for now.

PuG will only be as good as we make it. Get out there and review pubs, go through the entries for areas you know and help get the database as accurate as possible, make those suggestions for improvements

Totally agree 'ob'. Was Lord Kitchener the little voice inside your head when you were typing that? :)

arwkrite
05-02-2010, 11:36
No offence meant to anyone but BITE became very South of England orientated.Not having any reason to visit there anymore it was a pleasant change to hear Soupdragon' midland travels. I do not want PuGs to become a mirror image of BITE which may have a big database but things are in a perpetual state of flux. How old should reviews be before they are meaningless? I am not interested in anything older than 12 months whilst acknowledging some pubs can have a long history of being top class. Many of the reviews on BITE did little to inform me about a pubs suitability. The regulars likes and dislikes became known to me over time and whenever possible I tried to visit pubs they had liked. The Nags Head in Reading was a brilliant afternoon for me and the mrs last September. Good job I had the Mrs wheelchair to lean on backt to the Travelodge.
I support Conrad ( that will probably get me a derogatory mention in Trollville) in his desire to make this something other than a copy of Bite. Come on everybody ,cut him some slack and lets see how different we can make Pugs.

trainman
05-02-2010, 12:01
It sounds like from what you are saying trainman you actually only want to use BITE

So if our site really is that bad tell me why, I personally am not in this just to have a nice forum I have to moderate, I want the best pub site with a forum.

Whoooaaah, Conrad, I'm sorry if my post came across too strong, I wasn't aiming to be directly critical of your site, indeed it probably has lots of functionality that I don't know about yet and links/shortcuts that may make things easier as one becomes familiar with them. It's an accepted fact that Bite has a far greater bank of reviews and I equally accept that PG will slowly catch up on that front especially, as has been noted elsewhere, with your new influx of highly respected correspondents.
It's probably also a case of what one is used to - when planning a crawl, for instance, I would type in the name of a town, say, Derby, then limit the answerset to those pubs rated, for instance, >6.5/10, then read reviews regarding beer etc before deciding which were to be included. I appreciate your feeling re ratings and again accept that any ratings system will have faults, esp with schemers & assassins on the loose, but they used to provide a reasonable starting point - rather than trawling thru reviews for every pub in town, which is kinda what one would have to do with the otherwise excellent location maps on PG - one sees the pubs, but not an overview of their calibre.

maybe I should have disguised the post under a pseudonym ("devil's_advocate")?
Anyway, I appreciate all the thought and effort that is evidently going into the site on a daily basis & am not here to slag it off. Queue summat about messengers & shootings...?

trainman
05-02-2010, 12:10
Met up with Quinno in the Nags Head Reading who reminded me that here was the place to hang out!!!

As, indeed, is the Nags Head. It'll be amongst the list of many when we re-tour Reading 06Mar, if you happen to be at a loose end that day...

Conrad
05-02-2010, 13:32
Whoooaaah, Conrad, I'm sorry if my post came across too strong,
I think judging by your response we are both guilty of that. The point I was trying to put across was don't just say BITE is better get on and tell us what you want here, otherwise for you BITE always will be better.

oldboots
05-02-2010, 13:38
Totally agree 'ob'. Was Lord Kitchener the little voice inside your head when you were typing that? :)

I know what you mean but I think it was probably more like Kenneth Williams in his "Carry On Sergent" character :D

No offence meant to anyone but BITE became very South of England orientated.Not having any reason to visit there anymore it was a pleasant change to hear Soupdragon' midland travels. I do not want PuGs to become a mirror image of BITE which may have a big database but things are in a perpetual state of flux. How old should reviews be before they are meaningless? I am not interested in anything older than 12 months whilst acknowledging some pubs can have a long history of being top class. Many of the reviews on BITE did little to inform me about a pubs suitability.
I support Conrad ( that will probably get me a derogatory mention in Trollville) in his desire to make this something other than a copy of Bite. Come on everybody ,cut him some slack and lets see how different we can make Pugs.

No it's South East biased rather than the South but that probably just reflects the user's locations; other than that Mr A I endorse every word you say, I'm here because it's not BITE and I try to use a different style now to that I used on BITE. Stuff the trolls, inadequete Onanists and illiterate to boot.

It's an accepted fact that Bite has a far greater bank of reviews and I equally accept that PG will slowly catch up on that front especially, as has been noted elsewhere, with your new influx of highly respected correspondents.

As Mr S says "Many of the reviews on BITE did little to inform me about a pubs suitability" ; I say at least 3/4 of the reviews on BITE are not really reviews, this shouldn't be a case of "never mind the quality feel the width"............nuff said.

..... when planning a crawl, for instance, I would type in the name of a town, say, Derby, then limit the answerset to those pubs rated, for instance, >6.5/10, then read reviews regarding beer etc before deciding which were to be included. I appreciate your feeling re ratings and again accept that any ratings system will have faults, esp with schemers & assassins on the loose, but they used to provide a reasonable starting point - rather than trawling thru reviews for every pub in town, which is kinda what one would have to do with the otherwise excellent location maps on PG - one sees the pubs, but not an overview of their calibre.

It is useful to search based on ratings and that's partly what I do but for the reasons you give I share the misgivings about ratings and like a number of us I don't give them. I know this strategy makes planning crawls more arduous and will get worse as more reviews are added. Just keep thinking up ideas and put them to Conrad and Dave and we'll get something much better.

arwkrite
05-02-2010, 14:20
Yes South East my mistake. No one has shackles fitted when they join PuGs or Bite or even Favourite places.We all know the internet is a massive data base so go where you want for your information. Not doing so is in my opinion a crime. Bring it all back to the friendly clubhouse called Pugs and share it with your mates and then post it for the world to see.In between times try and consume some beer. I would really like to see this thread start to gracefully slide down the charts.Perhaps its a quick fix for cold turkey?

Conrad
05-02-2010, 14:25
I don't know I am kind of enjoying the irony of the fact that our most popular thread is talking about BITE and Chris, and their most popular thread is talking about PuG and me :)

Personally I have no problem with this thread and I suspect there are a couple more introductions to be made and this is fairly practical for that.

arwkrite
05-02-2010, 14:30
The Intros I am glad to see. Its the soul searching and breast beating that I find a bit like pulling teeth.

hopwas
05-02-2010, 14:34
I don't know I am kind of enjoying the irony of the fact that our most popular thread is talking about BITE and Chris, and their most popular thread is talking about PuG and me :)

Personally I have no problem with this thread and I suspect there are a couple more introductions to be made and this is fairly practical for that.

I have just read some of posts.. I couldn't believe what I am seeing. Everyone had a dig at you and I don't know what is their problem. At least this forum is far mature and no trolling. I will be always loyal to you..;)

arwkrite
05-02-2010, 14:37
Hoppy you can even outcrawl me . I bow to a Master:D

Conrad
05-02-2010, 14:38
I choose to see it as cathartic, I know what you mean, but at least it is all in one place and out in the open.

That said when it does naturally sink down the listings will be a good sign that we are just moving forward.

hopwas
05-02-2010, 14:42
Just before I joined PG in 2007, I nearly joined BITE cos it looked very interesting and lively forum then I thought I must seach for more pub forums until I saw "Pubsgalore" on google..

The rest is history. I have no regrets!

Gann
05-02-2010, 14:44
I have just read some of posts.. I couldn't believe what I am seeing. Everyone had a dig at you and I don't know what is their problem.

I think you will find everyone is in fact...... one !
BITE admins complete inability to deal with a couple of trolls with severe MPD is the reason that a lot of us are now here.....

arwkrite
05-02-2010, 14:49
I will see if I can get my counselor to join. I may spend an hour a week talking rubbish but in return I get to letch at something easy on the eye. May be she can sort out Hoppy's obsession with JDWs and his submissive/ desire to be dominated syndrome. Yeehh this could get sort of interesting . Anyone else with a few strange problems. Whoa don't all rush at once.

hopwas
05-02-2010, 14:54
I will see if I can get my counselor to join. I may spend an hour a week talking rubbish but in return I get to letch at something easy on the eye. May be she can sort out Hoppy's obsession with JDWs and his submissive/ desire to be dominated syndrome. Yeehh this could get sort of interesting . Anyone else with a few strange problems. Whoa don't all rush at once.

I can cope few days without setting foot in JDW but one week I would get cold turkey and withdrawal symptoms..

I blame Standing Order in Derby that started my obsession! In that time Carling was 99p, pretty useful when I was almost skint!

Soup Dragon
05-02-2010, 15:25
I would really like to see this thread start to gracefully slide down the charts.

Amen, Mr A!

runningdog
05-02-2010, 16:40
Now let's see...How shall I put it. PuG is great, Pug is good. How big it becomes while getting greater and gooder is all down to Conrad, Dave and their merry band of brothers, that's us. I've given over looking back up the road, there was pub there once, now there is just a lending library. Libraries are damn useful things, but they ain't pubs...:drinkup: Cheers Conrad and Dave...
I'll have another, one for yourself?:cheers::drinkup:

Manky Badger
05-02-2010, 21:20
Talking of BITE, is it just my PC, or has the regulars forum gone?
(I can't see it any more)

arwkrite
05-02-2010, 22:01
You are correct M.B the regular forum has gone. It was there earlier this evening because I was having a mooch about and read your pointed comment about someone should read what they write before hitting the send button. A rather immature re action one thinks but there you go.

an_ecumenical_matter
05-02-2010, 22:04
Yes its gone............................

I would say maybe if you want to save your BITE reviews maybe now might be the time to copy them and paste on to a word document. Its war.

To backtrack-no I don't want PuG to be BITE,ever. But the reviews I made were in good faith so preserving them for people to make balanced judgements isn't much to ask.....

Manky Badger
05-02-2010, 22:12
Yes its gone............................

I would say maybe if you want to save your BITE reviews maybe now might be the time to copy them and paste on to a word document. Its war.

BITE have a strange idea of how to run a website.... they are utterly dependent on the good will of others to do endless unpaid work for them.
And rather than thanking them, they insult their unpaid workers.

I've blogged my feelings on the site, and have copied out all my reviews just in case. But I doubt they will get deleted. They are too lucrative....

Quinno
05-02-2010, 22:20
re BITE's South-East bias - it was started as a bit of fun by some friends in London in 2002 and mushroomed (back in the day when a bit of html skill and a good idea could get you so far in a short timeframe!).

Anyways, I think it's time to put BITE to bed on here and let PuG find it's own way - let's everyone work together and for gawds sake make sure that we don't seem like some invading army trying to dictate. An I'd suggest never posting things on the forum whilst pissed!

So yes, now it's time for me to post something outside of this thread, which I will do...

an_ecumenical_matter
05-02-2010, 22:29
BITE have a strange idea of how to run a website.... they are utterly dependent on the good will of others to do endless unpaid work for them.
And rather than thanking them, they insult their unpaid workers.

I've blogged my feelings on the site, and have copied out all my reviews just in case. But I doubt they will get deleted. They are too lucrative....

Is there a "pats himself on the back" smiley that I've missed manky "badget"...............:whistle: But your point is quite valid.

trainman
05-02-2010, 22:53
An I'd suggest never posting things on the forum whilst pissed!

Wise words indeed. trainman - take note!!

runningdog
05-02-2010, 23:12
An I'd suggest never posting things on the forum whilst pissed!

Damn, does that I've got to delete all mine:pray::whistle::drinkup:

Eddie86
06-02-2010, 08:52
Damn, does that I've got to delete all mine:pray::whistle::drinkup:

No, for you we'd rather you posted ALL yours whilst pissed :D

runningdog
06-02-2010, 09:02
No, for you we'd rather you posted ALL yours whilst pissed :D

I do..........I was gonna do a couple last night, but after a gallon, literally, of the Beast, plus a bottle back home, I forgot, went to sleep. Now I've got to go and retrieve the car, which will, hopefully, still be there and in one piece..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Eddie86
06-02-2010, 09:18
I do..........I was gonna do a couple last night, but after a gallon, literally, of the Beast, plus a bottle back home, I forgot, went to sleep. Now I've got to go and retrieve the car, which will, hopefully, still be there and in one piece..........:drinkup::drinkup:

I'm a biker nowadays, pedal power. Sadly you can still be done for being in charge of one drunk

arwkrite
06-02-2010, 09:24
The upside is they cannot ban you from riding one......unless they stick an ASBO on you but you have to be a very naughty boy to get one of those.

Conrad
06-02-2010, 09:31
Although they can ban you from driving a car whilst you are drunk in charge of your pushbike I believe.

arwkrite
06-02-2010, 10:16
Thats interesting, don't suppose you have the chapter and verse ,so to speak ,on it. I think it could come as a shock to some who think its a safer option to take a bike. Only ever did two blokes, on separate occasions, for drunk i/c bicycle. Both were paralytic in the middle of the road with no lights in the early hours. It was for safeties sake they got arrested, their own and other peoples. I took one of them ,a strapping 6' plus back home next morning. He was physically shaking in fear at the thought of going home to his Mum. I knocked on the door and a little woman opened it. I began to explain but never got the chance. " Where the hell of you been all night" she exploded. I can still see the look in his eyes, they some times come back to haunt me at night, imploring me to protect him as this 4' of spit and fury erupted and chased him into the house with a yellow duster. The door slammed shut with dreadful finality. I sighed with relief and hot footed down the garden path. Nora Batty was a pussy compared with that one.
He pleaded guilty at magistrates court and fined Ł5. His mother who had hold of him said to me " Thank you for looking after him. You won't be having anymore trouble with him because he goes to chapel with me."
I spoke to him in a pub some years later. His mother had died sometime before and he had gone back to being a local piss artist.

A Cautionary Tale !

hopwas
06-02-2010, 10:19
I remember about 10 years ago, I got stopped by police after they saw me zig zag all over the place on road. I drank about 8 pints and set off home on my bike. I hardly can control and hope for the best! Lucky I got good telling off by Copper.

Never again...

Conrad
06-02-2010, 10:24
Thats interesting, don't suppose you have the chapter and verse ,so to speak ,on it.
Not to hand, it is a vague memory, I may try and look up and see if I am right later, I'm trying to work out where I may have got that idea.

Great story as well :) They don't make parents they way the used to.

NickDavies
06-02-2010, 10:38
Not to hand, it is a vague memory, I may try and look up and see if I am right later, I'm trying to work out where I may have got that idea.

Great story as well :) They don't make parents they way the used to.

I've heard it on numerous occassions over the years, usually when someone is getting ready to wobble off home. "That'll be 12 points on your licence if the old bill catch you" they say. Has anyone ever heard of it actually happening? My hunch is we're in saloon bar lawyer territory.

Conrad
06-02-2010, 10:47
I've heard it on numerous occassions over the years, usually when someone is getting ready to wobble off home. "That'll be 12 points on your licence if the old bill catch you" they say. Has anyone ever heard of it actually happening? My hunch is we're in saloon bar lawyer territory.
Can I have a gun to go with that title? :)

arwkrite
06-02-2010, 10:47
My deeper knowledge of the law is way out of date. Gawd knows how many have gone on the book since I left the job. What I dont like is this using laws meant for one thing being used for another. We may have been considered untrustworthy back then but never devious.

runningdog
06-02-2010, 11:25

I think it's rubbish. The bike thing don't work for me anyway, :nishelypished: and I'm safer in me car than on the bike..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Conrad
06-02-2010, 11:32
If you've been drinking, it's not your safety I am worried about ;)

I enjoy cycling, but Bristol is just mad, I wont get on my bike for fear either I end up killing someone or end up getting killed. If I was in charge of it all I would get rid of all the cycle lanes (they just create an us and them atmosphere), and get rid of half the lights in Bristol. Everyone just drives round with their eyes closed in the 10 yard dashes between traffic lights :moremad:

Millay
06-02-2010, 12:44
Hello all.

Oh Feck! now we're in trouble, he's found us. Welcome mate, trust you are well.

The next Grailhunter/Millay Stairway Challenge will take place either in Edinburgh or Manchester as that's where we are heading in March. Not sure if FP will be coming along, he may still be struggling with that bottle of champagne lager he bought in the Cornubia :D

runningdog
07-02-2010, 09:32
If you've been drinking, it's not your safety I am worried about ;)

I'll modify that, I would be safer in me car..:whistle:

Farway
07-02-2010, 14:07
Hi everyone

I'm also a bit confused about the review facility here, as it seems you can only recommend pubs - are reviews of pubs you disliked discouraged from this site?

Pubsignman

Hi & welcome

Conrad will tell you better than I, but briefly Bad reviews are sort of allowed, but rants are not encorouged because it can lead to mates of pub owner adding their two pennorth then it gets into slanging match. So we tend to be polite & honest, if poor service or food etc then no harm mentioning you had to wait ten minutes to be served at bar, more leeway is sort of allowed once you have your feet under the table so to speak & have some good or positive reviews to enable folk to judge your general viewpoint

Here is one of my less than favourable reviews http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13600/

hopwas
07-02-2010, 14:50
I agree with Farway..

Have a look at this classic example.. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/34651/

Wittenden
07-02-2010, 21:28
I hadn't intended to comment on BITE here, but it looks as if Chris has turned off the forum totally.Not really surprising!

Wittenden
08-02-2010, 08:34
I hadn't intended to comment on BITE here, but it looks as if Chris has turned off the forum totally.Not really surprising!

Looks like they're back!

winchesterclub
22-02-2010, 13:55
Hey Fella"s
Winchesterclub here thought i would sign up to the "forums" anyway to start with,hope you are all well and enjoying your new found troll free freedom !!!
Just thought i would let you know one peice of good news from the BITE site is that the Goddess that is FRAN is back on board the BITE ship!!, good move from Chris me thinks , I have sent her a small message to say welcome back and if she had been here when this kicked off it may of been a lot easier !. Anyway hope to keep in touch with some old friends on this site ,and i hope you will keep in touch with me and say hello to Fran soon

Winchesterclub

Millay
22-02-2010, 15:54
Welcome to PG Winchesterclub, hope you enjoy it around here. Interesting news about Fran, I still dabble on BITE so will see how things develop. Either way I still consider this to be my main site now.

Cheers

Soup Dragon
22-02-2010, 15:56
welcome Winchesterclub, good to see you here.

Rex_Rattus
22-02-2010, 15:59
Good to see you here WC. I think you will spot some difference in the quality of discussion on the forums here.

Soup Dragon
22-02-2010, 16:01
Good to see you here WC. I think you will spot some difference in the quality of discussion on the forums here.

Sorry about that, chaps, will do our best to raise it a bit:D

Crossste
22-02-2010, 19:18
Wondered were everyone had got too from BITE.

I,m not a prolific poster but will chip in if i feel i have sumat to say.

New forum new I.D.

Conrad
22-02-2010, 19:37
Hi Crossste,

Welcome to Pubs Galore, I am guessing that you already know a lot of the posters then. Myself and Dave M are the admins of the site, so if you have any queries, problems or suggestions on how to improve the site please do let us know.

Hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

Eddie86
22-02-2010, 21:18
I've found myself posting a bit more over here - the constant talk of trolls et al over there stopped me posting. Interesting to hear fran is back - I think I joined very shortly after she left, given what the topics of choice were at the time I joined...

RogerB
22-02-2010, 21:41
The idiot goat troll has still managed to get in a cheap insult about me today even though I haven't contributed to the site since the New Year. How sweet to know I'm still never far from his thoughts. :eek:

Quinno
22-02-2010, 22:28
The idiot goat troll has still managed to get in a cheap insult about me today even though I haven't contributed to the site since the New Year. How sweet to know I'm still never far from his thoughts. :eek:

Buggered if I can remember what you did to annoy him so much....!?

Millay
23-02-2010, 05:48
Buggered if I can remember what you did to annoy him so much....!?

I recall Roger’s shed being the centre of attention for a while for some bizarre reason :confused:

Rex_Rattus
23-02-2010, 14:48
I see that there's a "BITE's No 1" thread. Interestingly Fran seems oblivious to the fact that six of the responses are from the Surrey Troll's various aliases. Sums it up really. We'll see if she's up for doing anything about the trolls; it's the acid test.

RogerB
23-02-2010, 15:03
Someone pointed the thread out to me earlier and my extra large spew bucket is now overflowing! These were the same :muppet:'s who have barely done a single pub review between them and their sole contribution to the site was to abuse people on the forum. 6 weeks ago they were dismissing BITE as being "small" with barely 30 active members and now it's the greatest pub website ever devised by mankind. If there was a sycophantic hypocrites of the year award, I know where my vote would go. I'd just let them get on with it - they all know the truth. It's actually quite funny observing it all.

Alesonly
23-02-2010, 15:23
I see that there's a "BITE's No 1" thread. Interestingly Fran seems oblivious to the fact that six of the responses are from the Surrey Troll's various aliases. Sums it up really. We'll see if she's up for doing anything about the trolls; it's the acid test.

Yes Ive seen it as well . Ive just posted in it about the lack of Pub updates and how it needs all contributors too put in updates and help otherwise the data base is useless and soon becomes outdated. lets see if they bite now.

Manky Badger
23-02-2010, 17:07
Yes Ive seen it as well . Ive just posted in it about the lack of Pub updates and how it needs all contributors too put in updates and help otherwise the data base is useless and soon becomes outdated. lets see if they bite now.

I see they've turned the pop-ups back on....

Millay
24-02-2010, 00:02

Alesonly, yes I’ve seen your posting and, as ever, it is a considered, encouraging and non-inflammatory response. I did think that Fran’s original post was a tad misguided at this early stage of her self-proclaimed triumphant return to the forums. I have always believed, and stated, that it is the ‘hitwise’ figures that drive the behaviours of the BITE owners not forum activity. If Fran’s return improves the main site by way of the speed of new/changed pub response times then I believe that will be a positive from a ’hitwise’ perspective. I still think that the better forum moderation that is being lauded as a result of Fran’s return is very welcome but it will not be the main focus. In a way I think that sometimes, as members, we concentrated too much on the BITE forums and less so on the underlying database. This may seem like an inflammatory comment but let us not make the same mistake with PG.

arwkrite
24-02-2010, 06:44
The inability of BITE management to fix the huge backlog of data certainly caused resentment which spilled over into the forums.It was the only way members could voice their concerns.Lack of action on other fronts gave me the impression the whole thing was now considered a cash cow. It may be taking a lot of hits but how much of the database is out of date as has been pointed out by others.
Any way time has moved on. I have settled in here and here I will stay. I wish Bite all the best, it was the first forum I ever posted on so I do have a sentimental attatchment to the place.

RogerB
24-02-2010, 08:03
My first forays into pub write ups were on a site called pubs247 after seeing adverts in my local pubs around 2002. In fact most of my early BITE reviews were copied from that site although they are now far to outdated for use on PG so I can't get away with it a third time! The site was still going until recently (I have just noticed today that it has now disappeared) and I would occasionally use it because it was so out of date that it was handy for researching closed pubs and previous pub names.

oldboots
25-02-2010, 08:06
In a way I think that sometimes, as members, we concentrated too much on the BITE forums and less so on the underlying database. This may seem like an inflammatory comment but let us not make the same mistake with PG.

Very wise words too much navel gazing not enough drinking and reviewing and drinking.

RogerB
25-02-2010, 08:16
Very wise words too much navel gazing not enough drinking and reviewing and drinking.

...or drinking.:cheers:

aleandhearty
25-02-2010, 10:31
It was never about the trolls for me, rather the intransigence of Chris, the lack of activity and the total absence of civilised communication. :mad:

In a way I think that sometimes, as members, we concentrated too much on the BITE forums and less so on the underlying database. This may seem like an inflammatory comment but let us not make the same mistake with PG.

Any way time has moved on. I have settled in here and here I will stay.

I was rather hoping this thread was sliding down the pages, but as everyone else is commenting I thought I'd have my two penn'orth. I agree with your point 'Millay'. Much as I enjoy the forums the database/reviews has always been my first love. Regarding the future, I agree with 'arwkrites' sage words. (No, I didn't think I'd write the two side by side either :D).

P.S. Had to laugh when Fran said that looking back through the threads she couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Well she wouldn't! Anything that that was vaguely contentious or critical The Scarlet Pimpernel of Olde Cheltenham Towne deleted months ago.

taurus
04-03-2010, 13:56
A lot going on at the moment!

oldboots
04-03-2010, 14:36
A lot going on at the moment!

hmm, looks like someone's had a bit of a breakdown, very sad, real car crash stuff.

winchesterclub
04-03-2010, 14:43
Old Chris is culling everyone of the old guard and leaving the trolls to carry on how does prince monolulu get away with it !
quite funny and sad at the same time "a right monz up"

Strongers
04-03-2010, 15:12
Old Chris is culling everyone of the old guard and leaving the trolls to carry on how does prince monolulu get away with it !
quite funny and sad at the same time "a right monz up"

I think a few of us got hit by some flying toys!:muppet:

hopwas
04-03-2010, 15:37
Oh dear Oh dear.. I see 3 members already banned! :eek:

Someone threw a fit... :eek:

Rex_Rattus
04-03-2010, 16:11
Possibly my turn next. And hello to Taurus - care to tell us anything about yourself? Were you also a BITE regular? I confess to not recognising the handle.

Manky Badger
04-03-2010, 16:40
Possibly my turn next. .

Welcome to the "Banned" club....

As one of the "Banned" i find it rather ironic that I can no longer post to the forum (not that I actually did very much), but I can still review pubs. I suppose there's no money to be made from my words on the forum, but my pub reviews are what makes his site profitable for him.

Maldenman
04-03-2010, 17:58
Hello to fellow banned contributors. I really struggle to understand his approach, as others have said, Monolulu, plus his numerous alter egos, is allowed to be racist, homophobic and simply abusive to other members. No wonder people have reacted. For me it was when the despotic loon posted his warning that we all hush up and shut up, and do as he says.

I had to comment on that, in my view honestly, and not offensively.

It's so much easier to talk on here, so no regrets whatsoever. A new dawn, move on.

taurus
04-03-2010, 18:08
A new dawn, move on.

Steady on MM!

Strongers
04-03-2010, 19:44
Hello to fellow banned contributors. I really struggle to understand his approach, as others have said, Monolulu, plus his numerous alter egos, is allowed to be racist, homophobic and simply abusive to other members. No wonder people have reacted. For me it was when the despotic loon posted his warning that we all hush up and shut up, and do as he says.

I had to comment on that, in my view honestly, and not offensively.

It's so much easier to talk on here, so no regrets whatsoever. A new dawn, move on.

It's a lot easier to ban people and then slag them off as they cannot defend themselves. Also, all the puffing out of chests and sitting on the moral high ground still hasn't addressed the main issue of the more important review section of the site being totally unregulated so it is full of misleading and downright offensive comments – unlike this one!;)

Maldenman
04-03-2010, 20:47
Steady on MM!

Excuse me taurus, not with you mate? Do you have a new user name, as if you are from BiTE I don't know you?

Hmm, possibly a good spot RR.

winchesterclub
05-03-2010, 09:12
Chris has removed the thread i expect fran told him to !!, so prince monocarbolic or what ever he is called can carry on as long as he does"nt swear !!
Anyway on this site all the talk is about Beer and Pubs ! a right result

Winchesterclub

hopwas
05-03-2010, 09:22
Anyway on this site all the talk is about Beer and Pubs ! a right result

Seconded! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Rex_Rattus
05-03-2010, 09:37
Yes, clearly easier to remove the thread than respond to the points I raised. Anyway in the spirit of PuG freedom, I think I'll do something really useful with my time today and visit and review sevral Wapping and Limehouse pubs!

Strongers
05-03-2010, 09:48
I found some pubs on here that I didn't know existed and had a two and a half hour round trip to visit them on Wednesday afternoon. One was demolished, another was closed for the afternoon and the last one was a Harvester.:mad:

hopwas
05-03-2010, 09:51
last one was a Harvester.:mad:

Don't get me started on Harvester! I loathe them

winchesterclub
05-03-2010, 10:15

Whoa ! before everyone agrees with you ,i will have to stand up for my local Harvester "the stag and Hounds" as it is my local drinking place. i have two other pubs within walking distance of my drum and they are both ok if you want to buy cheap aftershave car parts or anything else that was near the door of the local Wilkinson store if you get my drift !
So the Harvester it is and although they only have the usual suspects behind the ramp Fosters ,Stella Carling and Carlesberg at Ł2.20 a pint! they do have Speckled Hen and Guinness.
There is a loyal group of regulars at the Bar most evenings and although it will never win any awards for Beer or Decor ! it does have a real fire
So there you have it i have stood up for a Harvester:whistle:
I have left my coat hanging but i can always go and get it

Winchesterclub

NickDavies
05-03-2010, 10:18

Ah the "Legendary Salmonella, oops, Salad Cart"

trainman
05-03-2010, 10:18
in the spirit of PuG freedom, I think I'll do something really useful with my time today and visit and review sevral Wapping and Limehouse pubs!

Blimey, I thought for a moment you were acting as the advance scouting party for Maldenman, but now see his 'East London Riverside Ramble' thread was last night, so you must be teaming up today. Well, thanks for the invite chaps!

(I couldn't do it with a biggy tomorrow in Reading but, what the heck, may as well give you a guilt complex).

hopwas
05-03-2010, 10:31
Whoa ! before everyone agrees with you ,i will have to stand up for my local Harvester "the stag and Hounds" as it is my local drinking place. i have two other pubs within walking distance of my drum and they are both ok if you want to buy cheap aftershave car parts or anything else that was near the door of the local Wilkinson store if you get my drift !
So the Harvester it is and although they only have the usual suspects behind the ramp Fosters ,Stella Carling and Carlesberg at Ł2.20 a pint! they do have Speckled Hen and Guinness.
There is a loyal group of regulars at the Bar most evenings and although it will never win any awards for Beer or Decor ! it does have a real fire
So there you have it i have stood up for a Harvester:whistle:
I have left my coat hanging but i can always go and get it

Winchesterclub

Fair point..

But... I'll give you an example, The Bassets Pole near Sutton Coldfield used be really good pub and had decent ales until Harvester decided to buy it and ruined it.. I went there in 2008 and walked out after just one pint. Children everywhere and decent taps replaced by usual tap beers. You can forget visit it on Sundays as they being taken over by Hell's Angels..

arwkrite
05-03-2010, 10:53
Thats an unusual mixture...Harvester and Hell Angels.
The Timberdine near Worcester is another one with a separate bar and well used by locals.However the surrounding housing is all modern with no new pubs considered in the planing. As a result you drink in a Harvester or a Toby Carvery. Both no good if you use the dog as an excuse for a quick pint.In the vicinity of the same stretch of road is a Brewers Fayre. An ordinary ? pub is a vey long stretch of the legs away.As far as I am aware none of these establishments have resident or visiting parties of Hells Angels or Lady Mud Wrestlers. Pity really, life could be so much more interesting

hopwas
05-03-2010, 10:57
Hi Arwkrite..

Have a look at this photographs which was taken at Bassetts Pole's car park..

http://www.g6urp.co.uk/bikes/bpole/index.htm

trainman
05-03-2010, 11:00
I think you'd have to call that a motorcycle convention of some sort hoppy, rather than a gathering of Hell's Angels - they hardly look like they're about to terrorise the town!

hopwas
05-03-2010, 11:02
I think you'd have to call that a motorcycle convention of some sort hoppy, rather than a gathering of Hell's Angels - they hardly look like they're about to terrorise the town!

I should make clear.. Yes Bikers club is on Tuesdays but PROPER Hell's Angels do meet up on Sundays.

Conrad
05-03-2010, 11:06
Good business by the looks though!

arwkrite
05-03-2010, 11:08
Sadly no Lady Mud Wrestlers (Heavywieght Division)

hopwas
05-03-2010, 11:12
Good business by the looks though!

Yep you are right.. Bassetts Pole is on major aroundabout where routes to Tamworth, Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield and Lichfield meets.

winchesterclub
05-03-2010, 11:13
Fair point..

But... I'll give you an example, The Bassets Pole near Sutton Coldfield used be really good pub and had decent ales until Harvester decided to buy it and ruined it.. I went there in 2008 and walked out after just one pint. Children everywhere and decent taps replaced by usual tap beers. You can forget visit it on Sundays as they being taken over by Hell's Angels..
I can cope with the Hell"s Angels but children everywhere !
oh my good gawd
Children in pubs i have slightly left the lid on Pandora"s box ajar !

Winchesterclub

Strongers
05-03-2010, 11:16
I went to a christening in Chepstow some time ago and it coincided with the yearly Hoggin’ on the Bridge (or something like that) where the hells angels meet up and drive around the town and then cross the Severn Bridge on their impressive machines. I did chuckle watching the local lads getting involved riding their 75cc scooters!

aleandhearty
05-03-2010, 12:14
Thats an unusual mixture...Harvester and Hell Angels.

Such an incongruous pairing immediately made me think of Morrissey. Starts waving air gladioli and sings in best Manc whine:

" Hells Angel in a Harvester
Dry sherry and a bag of nuts
Busily knitting a tank-top
For the love of his life Big Fritz....."

taurus
05-03-2010, 17:37
I thought for a moment you were acting as the advance scouting party for Maldenman

Conrad. The ex-BITE chaps are reprising. There's a surprise!

:rolleyes:

Conrad
05-03-2010, 17:51
No idea what you are on about taurus.

Since you clearly don't want to say who you were on BITE I have placed you into moderation, any new posts you make will have to be approved by an admin or a mod before being displayed.

taurus
05-03-2010, 18:01
Since you clearly don't want to say who you were on BITE .....

I was never on BITE - never said I was!

I'm just an observer of both sites and their over-lapping members and views.

Is that ok?

:)

Conrad
05-03-2010, 18:11

Is that ok?

You have made 4 posts so far, all of them look like attempts to just keep this thread alive and 2 of them bordered on trolling, any posts that don't contribute to the threads will be declined from here on.

oldboots
05-03-2010, 18:30
Whoa ! before everyone agrees with you ,i will have to stand up for my local Harvester "the stag and Hounds" as it is my local drinking place.

I've been in in the Winchester Road Harvester twice (years ago), I thought the Pig & Whistle was a better pub :D

trainman
05-03-2010, 20:49
Conrad. The ex-BITE chaps are reprising. There's a surprise!

:rolleyes:

Is that ok?

No, not really. What are you trying to say with either of these nonsensical comments?
Are you just here as a troublesome troll? Let me guess...?

Maldenman
05-03-2010, 21:06
Blimey, I thought for a moment you were acting as the advance scouting party for Maldenman, but now see his 'East London Riverside Ramble' thread was last night, so you must be teaming up today. Well, thanks for the invite chaps!

(I couldn't do it with a biggy tomorrow in Reading but, what the heck, may as well give you a guilt complex).

Sorry trainman, guilt complex duly in place, although I''m out of sackcloth. Decent stroll through the Wapping riverside, but not great for decent beer. History and the riverside were the interest for me, although splendid to find The Grapes opens through the afternoon on Fridays. Nigel's sandwich delayed us somewhat, I'll blog this.

Manky Badger
05-03-2010, 21:15
Meanwhile over on the other place, I see the management has written "we've asked for guest posters for the blog repeatedly for over 2yrs.. never had anyone wanting to contribute!"

Does anyone know where they asked that? I never saw it, and would have had plenty to contribute...
(I would post over there, but I can't....)

arwkrite
05-03-2010, 21:25
I visited Bite last night to remove some personal stuff . Realized tonight I had not logged of for the last time so I corrected my mistake. Sadly the posts are not at the moment worth reading but I hope things will pick up there eventually. I agree with Conrad and we have all said it before "Don't Feed The Trolls". I have had to bite ( no pun intended ) my tongue so I often I may have to get a voice synthesizer. We have a good community here and have found a polite approach to the forum leads to respect all round. Some of us may have strong feelings about various things but we rarely let them get in the way of a good discussion . I like the way the threads wander around with a life of their own often raising things that people may not think worthy of a new thread.

runningdog
07-03-2010, 19:06
I like the way the threads wander around with a life of their own often raising things that people may not think worthy of a new thread.

Couldn't agree with you more, 'arkwrite', it's all part of the fun. I contribute to a WW2 Aviation forum that was so po-faced that you got moderated if you strayed from the point. It got swamped by heavy-weight trolls a year or so back, and shut down. Now, reprised and reorganised, it no longer has 'threads', it has 'conversations' instead. Much more fun.
Here's to 'thread drift...:drinkup:bring on the Beast:drinkup::drinkup:

Maldenman
07-03-2010, 20:52
Running Dog

Have a read of my review of The Roebuck, Hampton. I thought of you.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/27543/

winchesterclub
08-03-2010, 07:56
I've been in in the Winchester Road Harvester twice (years ago), I thought the Pig & Whistle was a better pub :D
Blimey oldboots there"s a blast from the past the Pig and Whistle knocked down a few years back now the site of an Asda!
Once run by Tommy Steeles brother a pub with a dodgy reputation but at least the regulars used to throw the pinball machine out the window on a Saturday night so on Sunday morning the local kids could a have a free go as it was still plugged in !

Winchesterclub

HTM69
08-03-2010, 11:15
I used to regularly visit the Harvester in Falconwood (SE London) for the ‘Early Bird’ deal. I have never used one as a pub, however. It was always gobble-down the grub, slurp my coke and then go!

winchesterclub
08-03-2010, 11:30
I used to regularly visit the Harvester in Falconwood (SE London) for the ‘Early Bird’ deal. I have never used one as a pub, however. It was always gobble-down the grub, slurp my coke and then go!

You will be pleased to know HTM69 you know get free Coke refills at the Harvester !
(Not a good enough to stay any longer i grant you that )
Winchesterclub

Conrad
08-03-2010, 11:39
Thread name changed, as the old name attracted flies :whistle:, no implications on what you are allowed to chat about though.

hopwas
08-03-2010, 11:51
Thread name changed, as the old name attracted flies :whistle:, no implications on what you are allowed to chat about though.

How about "Other side of Dark Side"... :whistle:

Strongers
08-03-2010, 11:51
You will be pleased to know HTM69 you know get free Coke refills at the Harvester !
(Not a good enough to stay any longer i grant you that )
Winchesterclub

I went to Nandos a few days ago with the wife and two kids and got a refillable glass for the fanta, coke etc between the four of us – I’m turning into a right old miser!

winchesterclub
08-03-2010, 12:44
I went to Nandos a few days ago with the wife and two kids and got a refillable glass for the fanta, coke etc between the four of us – I’m turning into a right old miser!

But you feel like your getting one over them by doing this !! somehow still does"nt feel right though

Winchesterclub

NickDavies
08-03-2010, 15:53
How about "Other side of Dark Side"... :whistle:

Well they found it funny, gave them (or maybe him) a chance to indulge in some witty banter m8 ;)

Or indulge in something solitary anyway.

hopwas
08-03-2010, 16:40
Well they found it funny, gave them (or maybe him) a chance to indulge in some witty banter m8 ;)

Or indulge in something solitary anyway.

Well personally I really don't care about B**E. My one and only REAL pub forum is pubsgalore.co.uk :cheers::cheers::cheers:

End of. :D

oldboots
08-03-2010, 17:35
End of. :D

I totally agree but you could also have used "nuff said" :whistle:

Manky Badger
08-03-2010, 17:44
Well personally I really don't care about B**E. My one and only REAL pub forum is pubsgalore.co.uk :cheers::cheers::cheers:

You have to laugh (at them) - Having told us all to get knotted, I see on their forum they now want to encourage contributors like those they've actively driven over here.....

hopwas
08-03-2010, 18:24
You have to laugh (at them) - Having told us all to get knotted, I see on their forum they now want to encourage contributors like those they've actively driven over here.....

Thats so true!

From their forum..

Also, a high precentage of their reviews are dated - by years even!

Well they speak for themselves!

Anyway, I am focused on this one and not any other pub website including B**E

Nuff said!

runningdog
08-03-2010, 20:45
Anyway, I am focused on this one and not any other pub website including B**E

Sorry, hops, old son, which site was that, for the life of me I can't place it:drinkup::drinkup:Bring on the Beast

hopwas
08-03-2010, 20:51
Sorry, hops, old son, which site was that, for the life of me I can't place it:drinkup::drinkup:Bring on the Beast

It is where you used to post before you decided to come here.. :whistle: No I refuse name it :D

I miss the BEAST! No BEAST aound here.. :moremad:

Maldenman
08-03-2010, 20:58
Both previous posters are spot on, leave the other place behind unless individuals feel the need to share. Each to their own. I'm perfectly happy here, but if others want to double up then why not.

runningdog
08-03-2010, 21:01
It is where you used to post before you decided to come here.. :whistle: No I refuse name it :D

I miss the BEAST! No BEAST aound here.. :moremad:

Oh yeah, I think I remember something. Any old how, I'm on me last bottle till tomorrow............:drinkup::drinkup:

Ps Could we have a cryin in yer beer e'ticon. Pretty please......:whistle::drinkup::notworthy:

hopwas
08-03-2010, 21:02
Both previous posters are spot on, leave the other place behind unless individuals feel the need to share. Each to their own. I'm perfectly happy here, but if others want to double up then why not.

Hear Hear! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Oh Malden.. I am off to Sutton Coldfield Vs Bromsgrove tomorrow night. Should be cracker! :drinkup:

Maldenman
08-03-2010, 21:14
I love grass roots football Hoppy and I'm proud to support it. Good man.

It may be crap, but at least it's honest football!

Alesonly
09-03-2010, 10:19
:whistle:

Well that decision was made for me and most other civil servants, Railway Staff, & Council workers by a higher authority. Our web Masters have banned the site for Unsuitable Content & Gambling.:moremad:
Also I cant even access it on any of the three Windows 7 computers at home running 64bit system as it don't seem compatible even when running in compatibility mode Plus Ive tried three diferent browsers unless Ive been banned. :whistle: :whistle:.

runningdog
09-03-2010, 10:47
:whistle:
Also I cant even access it on any of the three Windows 7 computers at home running 64bit system as it don't seem compatible even when running in compatibility mode Plus.

Sounds like a good excuse to swap from Vista..........:drinkup:

ETA
09-03-2010, 10:53
I often use Firefox in a Linux (Ubuntu KK, for the geeks) environment at home - it's faster and more stable than any Windows I've ever used. Oh yes, and it's free.

Alesonly
09-03-2010, 11:30
I often use Firefox in a Linux (Ubuntu KK, for the geeks) environment at home - it's faster and more stable than any Windows I've ever used. Oh yes, and it's free.

Yes I have a small 7 in CnM Net Book With Linux with Bon Echo on this is excellent for wireless connection when in Pubs For browsing & posting on forums on the move.

ETA
09-03-2010, 11:51
Yes I have a small 7 in CnM Net Book With Linux with Bon Echo on this is excellent for wireless connection when in Pubs For browsing & posting on forums on the move.

Is BE still in an alpha product? I'm thinking of building a new laptop and just deciding how I want it, so if there's an advantage over FF (memory usage? Speed?) I'm up for it.

Alesonly
09-03-2010, 14:14
Is BE still in an alpha product? I'm thinking of building a new laptop and just deciding how I want it, so if there's an advantage over FF (memory usage? Speed?) I'm up for it.

Bon Echo is Part of Mozila as is Firefox it was the older version of a mobile browser I still use it as its small in disk space and fast. But theres a new mobile Firefox Web browser available. It’s built on the same engine as the desktop Firefox 3.6. See there web site for more details. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/

runningdog
09-03-2010, 18:15
Greek, all Greek to me...:drinkup::drinkup:

ROBCamra
09-03-2010, 18:52
Greek, all Greek to me...:drinkup::drinkup:

Are you sure you don't mean Geek rd ? :D

arwkrite
09-03-2010, 19:24
I stiil use XP. More a case of finance, or lack of it, than preferance. Browser is a choice of Firefox or I.E.8 according to mood or needs. Pretty boring choices actually.

runningdog
10-03-2010, 16:56
Are you sure you don't mean Geek rd ? :D

I passed on that one, Rob, I was pretty sure someone would bring it up.
As for me I'm on Vista and IE. They suit me, usually if they come with the box, I use them. Vista's ok, and I'm used to IE..........:drinkup:

oldboots
11-03-2010, 07:11
Blimey oldboots there"s a blast from the past the Pig and Whistle knocked down a few years back now the site of an Asda!
Once run by Tommy Steeles brother a pub with a dodgy reputation but at least the regulars used to throw the pinball machine out the window on a Saturday night so on Sunday morning the local kids could a have a free go as it was still plugged in !

Winchesterclub

Another delightful :whistle: Basingstoke pub I remember, did the Night Jar disappear under the latest town centre redevelopment?

winchesterclub
11-03-2010, 14:02
Another delightful :whistle: Basingstoke pub I remember, did the Night Jar disappear under the latest town centre redevelopment?

Ah the old Nightjar or the Goat and Barge as it was originally known as the Basingstoke Canal used to run right along side the pub, yes this pub has also been demolished but not in the recent revamp of the town centre but the first time round about 1987 or thereabouts

Winchesterclub

Evil Gazebo
15-03-2010, 16:49
So this is where you all went…

I’d only just started contributing to BITE when everyone started disappearing - I was worried it was me!

As a sometime lurker on the BITE forums I recognise plenty of names on here, it’s just that by the time I got there, there were no worthwhile discussions to get involved with.

Hello, anyway.

Conrad
15-03-2010, 17:24
Hi EG,

Glad you made it past the various blocks we put in your way, you will have gathered I am one of the admins, Dave M is the other, if you have any problems, queries or suggestions on how to improve the site please do let us know.

I keep forgetting to mention it but the Your Favourite..... (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?382-Your-favourite......) thread is a great place to introduce yourself.

Hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

Evil Gazebo
15-03-2010, 19:18
Cheers Conrad & thanks for your help getting me in here.:drinkup:

an_ecumenical_matter
15-03-2010, 20:00
Cheers Conrad & thanks for your help getting me in here.:drinkup:

Is an Evil Gazebo like a big umbrella that pokes irishmen in the eye????

Rassclatt I say. :cheers:

Quinno
05-10-2010, 17:25
The latest lunacy. Just posting to see how long it's allowed to carry on for....

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/5502/ (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/5502/)

runningdog
05-10-2010, 18:17
The latest lunacy. Just posting to see how long it's allowed to carry on for....
Ignore 'em, I do. Who cares how long, after all, it's not on 'ere..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Maldenman
05-10-2010, 19:46
Ignore 'em, I do. Who cares how long, after all, it's not on 'ere..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Too true, thankfully the remaining sane subscribers seem to be floating over. Let it kill itself as it surely will.

winchesterclub
06-10-2010, 07:53
Hey everyone hope the beer is still flowing

Yes the Portsmouth Arms is getting a right roasting at the moment,as usual it"s two or three people with an axe to grind !, funny because most of the time the place is packed with the full age range , i notice the Firefly at Bourne End is having a nightmare as well at the present ,no different to how you left it really :lol:
But as you say at least they are on the dark side on have not seen the light !
Glad to see all the old names are still here and still supping :cheers: and i will stay in touch

Winchesterclub
note, Conrad not sure if you have these listed mate but the Coach and Horses at Rotherwick, and the Fur and Feathers at Herriard are currently closed !

RogerB
06-10-2010, 08:03
It's not surprising that so many pub pages are being attacked by trolls - the admin have spent the last 6 months adding 2 new pubs to the database. You can't expect them to cope with such an influx of new information and monitor the site as well. :eek:

winchesterclub
06-10-2010, 08:41
Mr B
Hope your well , yes i think that BITE actually like this kind of stuff going on ! you report for removal but as we all know .... ,cant say it bothers me but i have the said pub as one of my listed so i keep getting a nudge when a reply is made , about 3 times a day at the moment :o
Still at least none of that goes on here , I was at the Beer festival at Earls Court recently did you or anyone make an effort ?

Winchesterclub

trainman
06-10-2010, 09:05
I was at the Beer festival at Earls Court recently did you or anyone make an effort ?

A number here had bad experiences previously at Earls Court so I was glad to be given a ticket for the trade session afternoon for my first gbbf attendance since it moved from Olympia. It meant I avoided the worst of the overcrowding which must be off-putting, esp fri/sat night & I enjoyed it, with predictable consequences...

Strongers
06-10-2010, 09:06
It's not surprising that so many pub pages are being attacked by trolls - the admin have spent the last 6 months adding 2 new pubs to the database. You can't expect them to cope with such an influx of new information and monitor the site as well. :eek:

I remember it being mentioned before I jumped ship that only new pubs would be added when a licensee of said pub paid the subscription charge. Looks like the plan is working well.

winchesterclub
06-10-2010, 09:47
A number here had bad experiences previously at Earls Court so I was glad to be given a ticket for the trade session afternoon for my first gbbf attendance since it moved from Olympia. It meant I avoided the worst of the overcrowding which must be off-putting, esp fri/sat night & I enjoyed it, with predictable consequences...

Yes i stayed in Earls Court that weekend so i was banging on the door Saturday morning to get in !
so i left before the evening rush come out to play , i was standing at the Fullers bar when around 40 people suddenly started standing behind me asking me when it was going to start !
I said "soon i belive" , mind you i had no idea what they were talking about , when all of a sudden the barman asked who was first to try it ,well as i was nearest i said "two please" and everyone surged forward and asked me what it was like.
Apparantly me and my mate were the first to try the Brewers special reserve which had just been pulled ,nice to be first especially when it"s Beer related :cheers:

PS and No i did"nt think much of it at all :lol:

Winchesterclub

winchesterclub
06-10-2010, 09:51
I remember it being mentioned before I jumped ship that only new pubs would be added when a licensee of said pub paid the subscription charge. Looks like the plan is working well.

Hi Strongers
Yes it seems like the forums have joined the main page now as that is all that is left, i think the whole fleet of window licking buses have crashed into BITE!
Still it is funny to watch it from afar and feel like you dont have to get involved nowdays

Winchesterclub

Strongers
06-10-2010, 10:06
Window licking buses!:lol:

ETA
06-10-2010, 10:08
Hi Strongers
Yes it seems like the forums have joined the main page now as that is all that is left, i think the whole fleet of window licking buses have crashed into BITE!
Still it is funny to watch it from afar and feel like you dont have to get involved nowdays

Winchesterclub

It has been a little sad to watch the whole thing descending to ever deeper levels of stupidity. The last four pubs I suggested have still not been added after 6 months, and frankly I no longer wish to be associated with the moronic behaviour which now seems to have taken over. Not what I signed up for. Harrumph.

Strongers
06-10-2010, 11:34
Oh how I laughed (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/28/28767/Cock_Inn/Clare) at this pub name and location. Doesn't look as funny the way it is written on PuG.

Quinno
06-10-2010, 11:37
Oh how I laughed (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/28/28767/Cock_Inn/Clare) at this pub name and location. Doesn't look as funny the way it is written on PuG.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: brilliant

trainman
06-10-2010, 12:10

My brother-in-law once told me that new secretaries would be asked to send a letter to a landlady (Ivy Keeps) in Hertfordshire, village of Tillit (or Tillet, don't know whether it exists). Anyway, the poor newbie would innocently type the envelope

Mrs Ivy Keeps
The Olde Cock Inn
Tillit
Herts.

an_ecumenical_matter
06-10-2010, 23:58
My brother-in-law once told me that new secretaries would be asked to send a letter to a landlady (Ivy Keeps) in Hertfordshire, village of Tillit (or Tillet, don't know whether it exists). Anyway, the poor newbie would innocently type the envelope

Mrs Ivy Keeps
The Olde Cock Inn
Tillit
Herts.

I thought the landlady's name and address was-
"Lucy Lykes
The Cockwell Inn
Tillet
Herts"......................

trainman
07-10-2010, 07:25
I thought the landlady's name and address was-
"Lucy Lykes...

Yes, perhaps apochryphal either way then.

arwkrite
07-10-2010, 10:02
Reading some of the links leading to the darkside reminds me of certain passages in " Lord of The Rings ". You are knee deep in Trolls, Fairies, Goblins ( and the in-laws, Hobgoblins ).All it wants are a few Leprechauns , imps, pimps and bango players.
It really is getting beyond belief.

Strongers
07-10-2010, 10:30
Reading some of the links leading to the darkside reminds me of certain passages in " Lord of The Rings ". You are knee deep in Trolls, Fairies, Goblins ( and the in-laws, Hobgoblins ).All it wants are a few Leprechauns , imps, pimps and bango players.
It really is getting beyond belief.

Do you mean banjo players or bogan players?

ETA
07-10-2010, 10:32

or worse, bingo.

Quinno
07-10-2010, 12:21
or worse, bingo.

or bongo :D:D:D:D

arwkrite
07-10-2010, 12:55
Bango,Bongo,Bingo,Bogon they are all welcome by the looks of it. Its open house over there.
Honestly, if you were a licencee would you pay good money to have your pub added only to have a flame war start ? You cannot expect to take the money then ignore what happens on your website. But perhaps it is a reflection of modern society. Something for nothing and no respect for anything or anyone. Oh dear ,the shed dweller in me is showing:whistle:

NickDavies
09-10-2010, 08:54

You have to go here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70762/) for that (http://www.theunderdogbar.co.uk/). Look like nobody has though.

Alesonly
10-10-2010, 11:44
Has Anyone else Noticed Bite have lost there No 1 Web site ratting its now been removed from the front Page. :whistle:

Farway
10-10-2010, 13:42
Has Anyone else Noticed Bite have lost there No 1 Web site ratting its now been removed from the front Page. :whistle:

Freudian slip?

gillhalfpint
10-10-2010, 19:00
BITE has just put a pub on site that I recommended. Trouble is, it was in May when we visited and I cannot remember what we had to drink. It had been recommended to us for the meal deals for pensioners, so we tried it and I know the food was great. In fairness to the pub, I have rated it.

Just looked at my review on here, and am satisfied I have given it a fair review on BITE. Hope they are not hanging onto many other suggestions.

NickDavies
10-10-2010, 19:10
BITE has just put a pub on site that I recommended. Trouble is, it was in May when we visited and I cannot remember what we had to drink. It had been recommended to us for the meal deals for pensioners, so we tried it and I know the food was great. In fairness to the pub, I have rated it.

Just looked at my review on here, and am satisfied I have given it a fair review on BITE. Hope they are not hanging onto many other suggestions.

The Red Lion in Blackwater (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/69470/)? That must be the one pub added to Bite in the last month. What a busy life he leads.

an_ecumenical_matter
13-10-2010, 08:14
The Red Lion in Blackwater (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/69470/)? That must be the one pub added to Bite in the last month. What a busy life he leads.

28 pubs added yesterday. Alas the Firefly in Bourne End is still being maligned by those who say fee fi fo fum.

NickDavies
13-10-2010, 09:01
28 pubs added yesterday. Alas the Firefly in Bourne End is still being maligned by those who say fee fi fo fum.

The entry for the Back of Beyond (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/38/3877/Back_of_Beyond/Reading) in Reading is quite franky disgusting.

Evil Gazebo
13-10-2010, 10:24
That is genuinely astonishing.

The Firefly’s page is beyond pathetic now - God knows how the daily infantile postings can have gone on, completely unchallenged for nearly 3 months now. Tragically, googling “Firefly Bourne End” brings up its BITE page as the first result. Presumably the owners/managers are aware of the idiocy clogging up their entry. Is there a suggestion that all pubs’ entries are being left unmoderated unless they are prepared to stump up their £135 to register? Hard to imagine anybody wanting to pay anything, given the car-crash that the site has become.

As for the Back of Beyond’s entry, you’d think that even the most lazy, empty-headed site-owner would realise that having offensive racist insults and ugly homophobic rants on a page listing for a commercial business is not a particularly sensible move. If those sorts of comments (and there seem to be a growing number) are left visible, then BITE is heading for - and frankly deserves - even more serious trouble.

Incidentally, on their home page, having scrolled down past the usual playground obscenities about the Firefly, I noticed that the current Top 5 rated pubs are all in Bourne End. What a remarkable place it must be.

Alesonly
13-10-2010, 10:41
That is genuinely astonishing.

Incidentally, on their home page, having scrolled down past the usual playground obscenities about the Firefly, I noticed that the current Top 5 rated pubs are all in Bourne End. What a remarkable place it must be.

I noticed If you look at the first Pub in No 1 position for instance its not hard too work out why or whats going on 80 votes mostly all 10 out of 10 but only seven slanted reviews. They need some decent admin.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/38/38270/Black_Lion/Bourne_End

NickDavies
13-10-2010, 12:26
As for the Back of Beyond’s entry, you’d think that even the most lazy, empty-headed site-owner would realise that having offensive racist insults and ugly homophobic rants on a page listing for a commercial business is not a particularly sensible move. If those sorts of comments (and there seem to be a growing number) are left visible, then BITE is heading for - and frankly deserves - even more serious trouble.

I've pointed out the Back of Beyond's BITE entry to JDW's customer services department, as I suspect some of the comments are bordering on illegality. I'll be interested to see what reply I get.

Quinno
13-10-2010, 13:01
I've pointed out the Back of Beyond's BITE entry to JDW's customer services department, as I suspect some of the comments are bordering on illegality. I'll be interested to see what reply I get.

I for one will look forward to hearing about it!

NickDavies
14-10-2010, 11:04
I for one will look forward to hearing about it!

Dear Mr Davies

Thank you for your email of 13th October and taking the time to contact us.

I have noted your feedback and a copy of this has been passed to our Legal team for their information and review.

I appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of this matter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pub: 323 | The Back of Beyond, Reading, RG1 3BY
Greetings - I can\'t find a corporate public relations address, but I draw you attention to the entry for the Back of Beyond on the Beerintheevening website.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/38/3877/Back_of_Beyond/Reading
The comments are disgusting, probably illegal and certainly do your company no favours. Can I suggest you contact the website concerned with a view to removing the entry for this pub.
Best wishes
Nick

Quinno
14-10-2010, 11:13
Dear Mr Davies

I have noted your feedback and a copy of this has been passed to our Legal team for their information and review.

Brilliant, I shall keep an eye on its page over there. Interestingly (perhaps!) that pub is directly opposite my flat, so I am aware of some of the names and characters mentioned in these diatribes!!

Alesonly
14-10-2010, 14:09
Brilliant, I shall keep an eye on its page over there. Interestingly (perhaps!) that pub is directly opposite my flat, so I am aware of some of the names and characters mentioned in these diatribes!!

What about the Wynford Arms right next door too the Spoons Back of Beyond is that any good I notice theres been no reviews for it yet on this site.
Or could this be Part of the problem as there seems too be a bit of a war of words between the two Pubs over on the other site.

aleandhearty
14-10-2010, 14:36
Dear Mr Davies

Nicely handled Mr D. :) A fairly restrained initial reply, but hopefully you'll hear more. The Firefly is one hell of a trump card if the JDW legal team want more evidence on how the site is run.

NickDavies
14-10-2010, 15:07
I was under the impression at one point that Chris Hughes read this site, but I suspect now he doesn't even do that. Any businessman worth their salt will tell you that you ignore the competition at your peril.

NickDavies
14-10-2010, 18:16
I was under the impression at one point that Chris Hughes read this site, but I suspect now he doesn't even do that. Any businessman worth their salt will tell you that you ignore the competition at your peril.

Any businessman worth hardly any salt at all should know what's going on in their own business before they even start thinking about anyone else's. You're fired.

Quinno
15-10-2010, 09:31
What about the Wynford Arms right next door too the Spoons Back of Beyond is that any good I notice theres been no reviews for it yet on this site.
Or could this be Part of the problem as there seems too be a bit of a war of words between the two Pubs over on the other site.

It's a gay pub that hosts an indifferent ale. It was better a couple of years back under the old Landlord. Jukebox is free until 5pm!

Quinno
18-10-2010, 08:38
The entry for the Back of Beyond (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/38/3877/Back_of_Beyond/Reading) in Reading is quite franky disgusting.

The lunacy continues

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/3877/

Strongers
18-10-2010, 08:53
:muppet::muppet::muppet: the lot of them!

runningdog
21-10-2010, 19:04
:sick:Ain't we glad we got outa the place..........:drinkup: Hey ho, and down the drain it goes..........
We can only hope:drinkup::drinkup:

an_ecumenical_matter
24-10-2010, 06:52
He looked in yesterday and deleted the main protagonist at the Firefly. But he left all the rest of the idiots/Reigate multiple IDs so it still is horrendous.

What a clown.

Quinno
25-10-2010, 13:10
He looked in yesterday and deleted the main protagonist at the Firefly. But he left all the rest of the idiots/Reigate multiple IDs so it still is horrendous.

What a clown.

Noticed that the masthead has had a Haloween makeover (anyone fancy taking a bet that it's still like that come Christmas?)

Unfortunately the racial and homophobic abuse still exists on the Back of Beyond's entry.

Skewed priorites.

Strongers
25-10-2010, 23:13
Just had a look after reading Quinno's post, I think it's a great ploy to bring people in - Google like. They have a multi million pound advertising team and they thought it was a good idea!

I'd probably sort out the content first though, no point dragging in the butterflies to fly around a turd.

Quinno
26-10-2010, 00:11
Just had a look after reading Quinno's post, I think it's a great ploy to bring people in - Google like..

LOL, yes Google are clearly the aim there :lol::lol::lol: if there was a Post of the Month, I'd nominate this one :D:D

Conrad
26-10-2010, 12:02
Noticed that the masthead has had a Haloween makeover (anyone fancy taking a bet that it's still like that come Christmas?)
Isn't it just a scheduled thing? I seem to remember that cat from last year.

RogerB
26-10-2010, 12:05
Maybe we can add this somewhere!

http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/product/preview/flash/bws8Shell.swf?ihost=http://ak.imgag.com/imgag&brandldrPath=/product/full/el/&cardNum=/product/full/ap/3125133/graphic1

Strongers
26-10-2010, 12:08
Oh dear!

Eddie86
26-10-2010, 21:33
Ah, Christmas. Just think, every pub full of :twigs::twigs::twigs:

arwkrite
27-10-2010, 08:34
The festive :twigs::twigs::twigs::twigs: I can manage, My problem is the :muppet::muppet: wearing little red and white pixie caps. Plus the crowds of once a year :drinkup::drinkup: who have little idea of how to behave in a pub. They should never be let off the copying machine at the office party.
Maybe I am just disenchanted with Christmas ?...."Cratchett, throw another urchin on the fire. Hang the expense for its the season of Good Will"

Alesonly
01-11-2010, 20:59
I was Just browsing on another well known site when I notice there pub comments count this month is Minus 817 Pub comments added this month they must be having a clean up & purge. Probably forced too. :whistle:

an_ecumenical_matter
02-11-2010, 07:47
A mate of mine who still posts over there sent a terse email regarding the pop ups getting ridiculous,and miraculously got a same day reply saying "the supplier had changed the settings and normal 2 maximum a day had now been restored"............... Has he got someone else to tidy it up(hopefully) or is just another sporadic visit(probably)???

ROBCamra
02-11-2010, 08:35
I was Just browsing on another well known site when I notice there pub comments count this month is Minus 817 Pub comments added this month they must be having a clean up & purge. Probably forced too. :whistle:

All the dodgy comments have gone from The Firefly. That must account for about -500. :p

an_ecumenical_matter
02-11-2010, 09:04
All the dodgy comments have gone from The Firefly. That must account for about -500. :p

He left the rating low,oh and deleted my "comeback" balanced review......

He's not touched the Wetherspoons in Reading nonsense.

TIT.

Alesonly
02-11-2010, 11:06
The Cask Pub And Kitchen in Pimlico has also been totally reset all our previous reviews are gone as well. Looks like someone must be on a good clean up.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/41/41995/CASK_Pub_and_Kitchen/Pimlico

RogerB
02-11-2010, 11:41
The Cask Pub And Kitchen in Pimlico has also been totally reset all our previous reviews are gone as well. Looks like someone must be on a good clean up.

They'll need a bloody big brush and lots of spare time!

gillhalfpint
02-11-2010, 11:57
I reviewed Cask Pub and Kitchen when I did a London crawl earlier this year, mainly because of the reiews I had read on the site, and I really liked the place. My review has gone out with the rubbish though.

ROBCamra
02-11-2010, 12:57
Looks like someone must be on a good clean up.

And they say there are no jobs for life anymore! :D

Dave M
02-11-2010, 13:46
Ok, so I have been following some of the stuff going on over there so just adding some of my observations.

He's not touched the Wetherspoons in Reading nonsense.

Actually some of it has gone. Most of the really bad stuff was down to two users, one of them has been deleted and the other hasn't. There is something odd going on with the listing, the main page still has all the Rentaghost lyrics, but if you click through to the comments page they aren't there.

The Cask Pub And Kitchen in Pimlico has also been totally reset all our previous reviews are gone as well.

The odd thing is that is a totally new listing, the old Cask Pub & Kitchen (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/38/38871/CASK_pub_Kitchen/Pimlico) page is still there - although that one has had all reviews and ratings removed from it.

They'll need a bloody big brush and lots of spare time!

The brush is pretty big, they have deleted all reviews with certain words in such as 'underage', 'drugs', 'www' as well as various swear words. For example your review of the Railway Bell in Gravesend (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16193/) has been culled, presumably due to use of foul language. :whistle:

Strongers
02-11-2010, 13:55
The brush is pretty big, they have deleted all reviews with certain words in such as 'underage', 'drugs', 'www' as well as various swear words. For example your review of the Railway Bell in Gravesend (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16193/) has been culled, presumably due to use of foul language. :whistle:

Looks like someone got a kick in the balls!

What a load of swankers!

PS: I hope Scunthorpe gets a battering!

RogerB
02-11-2010, 14:01
I don't think either the Railway Bell or myself will be too bothered! Interestingly, they have retained my rating on the page though.

Dave M
02-11-2010, 14:07
PS: I hope Scunthorpe gets a battering!

Funny you should mention that. Roger seems to have lost his review of The Bricklayer in Tottenham (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25652/) too.

ROBCamra
02-11-2010, 14:08

But there's already a dodgy comment back on the Firefly.

RogerB
02-11-2010, 14:12
Funny you should mention that. Roger seems to have lost his review of The Bricklayer in Tottenham (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25652/) too.

Just noticed things kicking off at the Firefly again.

Maybe they should just delete any comments on the site that use any of the 26 letters of the alphabet. Should resolve things.

Conrad
02-11-2010, 14:21
Maybe they should just delete any comments on the site that use any of the 26 letters of the alphabet. Should resolve things.

Give them time, it certainly worked with the forums.

Quinno
02-11-2010, 15:00

On a slightly serious note, will this affect any of the reviews still held on the mass migrate tool? I still have around 49 pages of my original 70 left to chug through...

NickDavies
02-11-2010, 15:09

My guess is they got a letter from m'learned friends suggesting room for improvement.

Strongers
02-11-2010, 15:15
On a slightly serious note, will this affect any of the reviews still held on the mass migrate tool? I still have around 49 pages of my original 70 left to chug through...

The reviews were copied so they are not linked to the dark side anymore.

Conrad
02-11-2010, 15:18
Absolutely, only implication is if you were someone we hadn't stored really. So anyone now coming across may be hit.

Quinno
02-11-2010, 15:57

Absolutely, only implication is if you were someone we hadn't stored really. So anyone now coming across may be hit.

suspected that might be the case but pleased to have it confirmed...

rpadam
02-11-2010, 22:50
Looks like thy have deleted one of my 1254 reviews, but what on earth did I say in that one (whatever it was) to get censored?

Dave M
02-11-2010, 23:15
Looks like thy have deleted one of my 1254 reviews, but what on earth did I say in that one (whatever it was) to get censored?

According to my records there are 3 of yours that have been deleted:-
Drakes in Maidstone (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16310/)
Marquis Of Granby, WC2 (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22116/)
Swan, Ashford (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/27410/)

Although if you look at the Swan page at BITE (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/17/17464/Swan/Ashford) you'll see that yours is still the most recent review showing. I'm sure they have deleted it from their database but it will continue to show on the page until someone writes another review.

RogerB
03-11-2010, 08:13
According to my records there are 3 of yours that have been deleted:-
Drakes in Maidstone (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16310/)
Marquis Of Granby, WC2 (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22116/)
Swan, Ashford (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/27410/)

Although if you look at the Swan page at BITE (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/17/17464/Swan/Ashford) you'll see that yours is still the most recent review showing. I'm sure they have deleted it from their database but it will continue to show on the page until someone writes another review.

"Underage", "Scunthorpe" and "drugs" appear to be respective pitfalls of your reviews!

Al 10000
03-11-2010, 11:10
Hi Dave,

Have i had any reviews removed as i was sure i did a review of the Railway Inn in Long Eaton but looked yesterday and it had gone i have put another review of this pub on but avoided putting the word drugs on.

I would be interested to know Thanks Alan.

Conrad
03-11-2010, 12:10
Hi Alan,

I'm not sure if you have picked up, but the drive of the conversation is about the beerintheevening (bite) site. A number of the regulars on here joined from there and still hold various forms of affection for it so chat about their observations here. In any case all the deletions mentioned here are for bite.

To answer your question though, no we haven't deleted your review. Anytime we delete or edit a review we send an email to your registered address, so if you have had a delete or edit you should receive an email (as a point of interest, where we delete some of the reviews this can prompt the more tedious vandals to keep coming back). If you are not receiving the emails or concerned they got lost you can always double check on the 'Page Activity' link, so in the case of the Railway Inn - link (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/reports/pubactivity.php?pub=69751). To give you an example of one discussed recently the Winston Churchill (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/reports/pubactivity.php?pub=40222) where Charlie Rooney has been playing.

Hope that extensive answer helps :o

Al 10000
03-11-2010, 13:06
Hi Conrad.

Thanks for that as usuall i dont know what is going on on this forum but i am enjoying myself pottering along adding my two penneth worth.

Once again Thanks Alan.

Quinno
04-11-2010, 11:06
Well lookee what's gone up on BITE:

Over the next coming few weeks whilst you are busy booking your Christmas parties and getting ready for the festive season we will making a number of changes to BITE!

Over the past few months we've been working very hard on brand new features and upgrades to BITE and we'll be releasing parts of it over the next couple of months with frequent announcements on our new blog.

We just thought we'd give you all a heads up incase you see something odd going on. We're going to try and keep any disruptions to a minimum but being such a busy site there may be the odd time when something isn't quite working like it should do :) In the meantime, if you wish to give us any feedback on new features you would like, just contact us!

Enjoy the run upto Xmas and keep logging into the members area for news on the updates and soon, the blog!

You can also keep upto date on BITE by joining our Facebook page below!

The BITE Admin Team

November 2010

arwkrite
04-11-2010, 12:11
I see my reviews are still there. On reading them they are not as scathing as I remember. Must be going soft in my old age. There must have been some big changes "over there". You do not go from studied indolence too galvanized for action in one jump unless one big lighted cracker has been put under you. May be someone else is at the helm ? No change occurred when Fran returned so it must be a new external agency.
Whatever, if I get back to visiting new pubs my reviews will be placed here and no where else.

Quinno
04-11-2010, 12:29
Whatever, if I get back to visiting new pubs my reviews will be placed here and no where else.

Amen to that.

RogerB
04-11-2010, 12:33
Had a look but I can't see anything different apart from the minus number of comments has increasing so looks like another purge of reviews has been undertaken. I use the site for info purposes on accasions but like Arky & Quinno, this is now my home and unless I'm evicted, here is where I'll stay!

trainman
05-11-2010, 09:18
The site having been so abjectly indifferent to the abuse for so long, I can only concur that a token clean up has been forced, rather than volunteered. It seems incredible, though, that an obvious culprit (Firefly) was not additionally flagged for mandatory moderation so, yes, one of the idiots has rejoined the puerile scrap under yet another id.

Plus ça change...

an_ecumenical_matter
05-11-2010, 12:52
Other than calling the ugly barmaid ugly why would this have been culled does anyone know???

George Inn, Knowle (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/10/10530/George_Inn/Knowle)
Visited during the recent ice age. Ugly barwoman and shaven headed barman. Putting glasses away and filling up peanuts was more important,"not enough intelligence between them to actually serve" was the quote from bloke standing beside me at the bar also waiting to spend . Usual "drugs not tolerated" signs .Big groups of "kiddies" standing around all shouting like halfwits,"kick off" used frequently,thus creating a undercurrent of simmering aggression. Bombardier (ÂŁ2.60)was good when I got it and ELO were playing through muffled ÂŁ6.99 a pair hi-fi speakers,so at least the place had something going for it. But no inclination to return.

RogerB
05-11-2010, 12:56
Other than calling the ugly barmaid ugly why would this have been culled does anyone know???

George Inn, Knowle (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/10/10530/George_Inn/Knowle)
Visited during the recent ice age. Ugly barwoman and shaven headed barman. Putting glasses away and filling up peanuts was more important,"not enough intelligence between them to actually serve" was the quote from bloke standing beside me at the bar also waiting to spend . Usual "drugs not tolerated" signs .Big groups of "kiddies" standing around all shouting like halfwits,"kick off" used frequently,thus creating a undercurrent of simmering aggression. Bombardier (ÂŁ2.60)was good when I got it and ELO were playing through muffled ÂŁ6.99 a pair hi-fi speakers,so at least the place had something going for it. But no inclination to return.

Tut Tut - "drugs" references, even though used in the correct manner!

an_ecumenical_matter
05-11-2010, 13:13
Tut Tut - "drugs" references, even though used in the correct manner!

Strewth.

RogerB
05-11-2010, 13:47
I understand they will be next be banning the use of the word "beer" as it may cause offence to the teetotallers who may occasionally stray onto the site.