PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 04 September 2011)

ROBCamra
28-08-2011, 11:21
Thuck Phat: Potbelly Welland 'Owd
Quinno: Saltaire Elderflower Blonde
Oggwyn Trench: Bobs Brewing White Lion
General Staal: Beowulf Beorma
Al 10000: Brewsters Hop A Doddle Doo
PubSignMan: Redemption Trinity
Bucking Fastard: Wychwood Scarecrow
aleandhearty: Marble Bitter
rpadam: Brimstage Trapper's Hat
Alesonly: Firestone Walker Red Nectar Ale
ROBCamra: Castle Rock Midnight Owl
Wittenden: Teetotal!!!!!:eek:
oldboots: Moor Pacific IPA

Quinno
29-08-2011, 20:56
if anything can beat Saltaire Elderfower Blonde at West Riding (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40387/) I will eat my hat. Beer of the year for me, so far!! :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

aleandhearty
01-09-2011, 13:19
A mini crawl around Horbury and Ossett, with Quinno, on Tuesday, saw us try some excellent beers. Sampled were:

Great Orme - Merlin.
Castle Rock - Boatman.
Mallinsons - Noxal Paramount.
Marble - Bitter.
Idle - Black Abbott.
Slaters - Golden.
Salopian - Hop Twister.
Acorn -Old Moor Porter.
Ilkley - Lotus IPA.
Brentwood - Best.
Ossett - Mellow Yellow.
Fernandes - Khalie.
Ossett - Excelsior.
Fernandes - Malt Shovel Mild.
Fernandes - Great Northern.
Cropton - Blackout.
Brentwood - Lumberjack.
Bob's - White Lion.
Five Towns - Ponte Carlo.

Particularly enjoyed the Noxal, Hop Twister and Great Northern, but the Marble Bitter was on stunning form and I can't see anything else coming close, this week. A flying visit to London, this weekend, might throw up a few more contenders, but as I probably won't have time to tick off any destination pubs, I doubt it.

runningdog
01-09-2011, 18:28
Pobably will not be my final choice, but I'm not going to miss it out. As some of you recall, I like milds. Now, Branscombe Original Mild is only 3.7 and my taste runs more to 5.7, but this was one of the tastiest beers I've ever drunk.........:notworthy::drinkup::drinkup:

Thuck Phat
04-09-2011, 10:01
A good week with a fair few sampled in and around the New Forest:
Doom Bar
Gales Seafarers and HSB
Keystone Goldspice
Hop Back John Barleycorn Bitter and Summer Lightening
Goddards Hoppiness
Derby Triple Hop
Potbelly Welland Owd
Oakham Bishops Farewell

All the above were very good, Fuller's have certainly stayed true to Gales style and both the Seafarers and HSB were excellent, the Summer Lightening was top as it always is and Goddards Hoppiness from the Isle of Wight was a new brewery to me but at 5% and hoppy it went down well. BOTW though goes to Potbelly Welland 'Owd, citrussy and bitter and at 4.5% extremely drinkable as Mrs Phat discovered when she tried it and couldn't put the glass down.

Oggwyn Trench
04-09-2011, 11:36
Decent night on Saturday

Blue Bee - Nectar Pale
Bobs Brewing - White Lion
Outstanding - Blond
Three Tuns - Stout
Northern - Navajo Extra
Cottage - Johnsons Single Bitter

BOTW Bobs Brewing - White Lion

General Staal
04-09-2011, 13:00
Beowulf Beorma in the Red Lion Erdington on 2 Sept.

Two Towers Mott St Mild at the Brown Lion yesterday. Needed it after getting my wallet out on a visit to the Jewellery Quarter with Mrs Staal. That's my monthly beer allowance gone! :eek:

Quinno
04-09-2011, 13:02
if anything can beat Saltaire Elderfower Blonde at West Riding (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40387/) I will eat my hat. Beer of the year for me, so far!! :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Well in the end Buxton Gold at The Grove (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40654/") ran it close, but Elderflower Blonde it remains!

Al 10000
04-09-2011, 13:42
After a crawl round Sleaford yesterday my beer of the week is Brewsters Hop A Doddle Doo this was a tawney coloured bitter and it was very tasty,this was tried in the Pack Horse spoons in Sleaford.

Real Ale Ray
04-09-2011, 18:02

Which pub did you sample this magic brew in and what was the percentage? Cheers Ray

Quinno
04-09-2011, 19:02
Which pub did you sample this magic brew in and what was the percentage? Cheers Ray

West Riding Licensed Refreshment Rooms, Dewsbury (the 'West Riding' bit above hyperlinks direct to the PuG page. Didn't make a note of the %. Saltiares site (http://www.saltairebrewery.co.uk/html/cask_ales.html) says 4%. It just really hit the spot and I guess it may well have also just reached that magic part of the barrel mind you I did have two, just to check :D

Pubsignman
05-09-2011, 00:19
I was looking forward to trying the Sambrooks Pale Ale that I found in the Bree Louise on Tuesday, but unfortuately it was in pretty ropey condition, so I'm not sure I caught it at it's best.

BOTW therefore goes to Redemption Trinity, perfectly served up in the nearby Euston Tap.

Bucking Fastard
05-09-2011, 08:42
Virtually the only beer consumed and hence BOTW was Wychwood Scarecrow,a very pleasant seasonal golden pale ale. I managed to sneak this pint in The Students Union Bar during an open day at Southampton University with my youngest son...he wanted to check out the most important facilities there ;)

aleandhearty
05-09-2011, 08:51
A mini crawl around Horbury and Ossett, with Quinno, on Tuesday, saw us try some excellent beers. Sampled were:

Great Orme - Merlin.
Castle Rock - Boatman.
Mallinsons - Noxal Paramount.
Marble - Bitter.
Idle - Black Abbott.
Slaters - Golden.
Salopian - Hop Twister.
Acorn -Old Moor Porter.
Ilkley - Lotus IPA.
Brentwood - Best.
Ossett - Mellow Yellow.
Fernandes - Khalie.
Ossett - Excelsior.
Fernandes - Malt Shovel Mild.
Fernandes - Great Northern.
Cropton - Blackout.
Brentwood - Lumberjack.
Bob's - White Lion.
Five Towns - Ponte Carlo.

Particularly enjoyed the Noxal, Hop Twister and Great Northern, but the Marble Bitter was on stunning form and I can't see anything else coming close, this week. A flying visit to London, this weekend, might throw up a few more contenders, but as I probably won't have time to tick off any destination pubs, I doubt it.

As it turned out, I did manage a couple in the Cask Pub & Kitchen:

Dark Star - Hophead.
Magic Rock - Dark Arts.
Arbor Ales - Black Eye PA.

Very impressed with the Dark Arts, but as I suspected BOTW is Marble Bitter.

rpadam
05-09-2011, 22:06
Nothing beat the very nice pint of the local Brimstage Trapper's Hat here Gallaghers Pub and Barbers Shop (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/69115/)

Alesonly
06-09-2011, 16:56
Some good Beers over last week but I will go for FIRESTONE WALKER RED NECTAR ALE As its one Ive never had before and was a excellent Pint.

Quinno
06-09-2011, 17:38
I was looking forward to trying the Sambrooks Pale Ale that I found in the Bree Louise on Tuesday, but unfortuately it was in pretty ropey condition, so I'm not sure I caught it at it's best.

BOTW therefore goes to Redemption Trinity, perfectly served up in the nearby Euston Tap.

Why do those quotes not entirely surprise me? :rolleyes:

oldboots
06-09-2011, 18:57
Why do those quotes not entirely surprise me? :rolleyes:

It's still in the bludy GBG!!!! I'm guessing the Euston Tap wasn't open in time for inclusion.

While we're at it all three JDWs in Liverpool city centre are in, including the Fall Well (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56303/) :eek:

Talk about a lack of credibility, not to mention taste, from certain CAMRA branches:muppet::muppet::muppet:.

Oh nearly forgot, BOTW is the Moor Pacific IPA

Wittenden
06-09-2011, 21:22
No beer last week:by the time we'd finished work on Saturday we were too knackered to go to the Beer Festival up the road. I saw an Oakham Ales dray heading into Kent at the Dartford Crossing this morning. A good sign, but I reckon its the closest I'll get to the barmaid's apron this week!

ROBCamra
07-09-2011, 14:49
Forgot to enter my own BOTW. :o

Despite the Leeds crawl I'm going to vote for Castle Rock Midnight Owl tried in the Keans Head in Nottingham. :cheers: