PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 28 August 2011)

ROBCamra
23-08-2011, 11:57
Oggwyn Trench: Welbeck Abbey Fruit Arcade
Quinno: Brew Co Full Nelson
Pubsignman: Union Temno Pivo
trainman: Thornbridge Chiron
oldboots: Acorn Old Moor Porter
Alesonly: Purity Mad Goose
aleandhearty: Kirkstall - Dissolution IPA.
Bucking Fastard: Redemption Big Chief
RogerB: Hogs Back - England's Glory
ROBCamra: Abbeydale Surreal Ale

aleandhearty
25-08-2011, 19:50
Two very strong early candidates,tried on Tuesday in the Sheffield Tap. (Accompanied by my daughter, so no extended session, or crawl possibilities). Kirkstall Pale Ale and Dissolution IPA were both fabulous, but the IPA probably shades it.

Oggwyn Trench
28-08-2011, 14:20
Good week this week and a couple of new breweries to me

Woodland - Mild
Kvasnicove - Moravka (English brewed unpastuerised lager)
Welbeck Abbey - Fruit Arcade
Ilkley - Lotus IPA
Grafton - Heatwave
Fullers - London Pride
Wood - Shropshire Lad
Newsome - Harvest Gold
Dawkins - Mumbai PA
Cotleigh - Harrier
Marston Moor - Thunderbug
York - Decade
Rowton - Galaxy
Corvedale - Saint Georges Stout

BOTW Welbeck Abbey - Fruit Arcade just shades it from Corvedale - Stout

Quinno
28-08-2011, 20:05
Full Nelson by the newly-discovered Brew Co at the Rose & Crown (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/6934/) though Dancing Duck Ay Up and Barlow Stout at The Royal Oak (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/6996/)
both ran it damn close, as did the Buxton Russian Imperial Stout and Dancing Duck Ay Up (again!) at The Rutland (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/6940/)

plenty more to come next week... :bemerry:

Pubsignman
29-08-2011, 02:45
I spent most of this week in Slovenia, where my main aim beer-wise was to find somewhere to try the intriguingly named Human Fish Pale Ale, which I eventually managed to do in Ljubljana on Friday afternoon. It was an odd beer, pouring a hazy orange and with a taste of spice in the hops.

It doesn't get BOTW though, as that instead goes to Union Temno Pivo which is probably Slovenia's only dark beer. Had a bit of sweetness to it (they bizarrely market it as a dessert beer) which made it a little reminiscent of a British Mild.

trainman
29-08-2011, 09:45
Ticked the Craft Beer Co (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23311/) last Thurs and, despite my 3-pint round costing £11.30(!), the beers were very good. Thornbridge was strongly represented and their Chiron wins my botw. Actually, next to some tap stuff at £3.95 per half, our handpulled beers started to seem reasonably priced!

oldboots
29-08-2011, 10:06
A quiet week but the ever reliable Acorn brewery produced my BOTW; Old Moor Porter

Alesonly
29-08-2011, 10:53
My best Beer of the week was Purity Mad Goose closely followed by Purity Pure UBU.

So beer of the week Purity Mad Goose.

aleandhearty
29-08-2011, 13:25
A pretty good week with some excellent new beers and several old favourites. Tried this week:

Kirkstall - Pale Ale.
Kirkstall - Dissolution IPA.
Milestones - Raspberry Wheat.
Northern - Hit & Run.
Brown Cow - Thriller in Vanilla.
Five Towns - Guero.
Abbeydale - Original Sin.
Bob's - Trouble @ T'Mill.
Mallinsons - Hopped #5.
Thornbridge - Jaipur.
Copper Dragon - Golden Pippin.
Acorn - Gorlovka.

BOTW goes to the Dissolution IPA, but I must give special mention to the Five Towns Guero. Guero is Mexican for pale skinned, or blonde haired boy and in effect it is a pale 'boy's beer' at 2.9%. However, I thought it had fantastic hoppy flavour for its strength. Admittedly, it was the first of the day and it would probably struggle after anything stronger, but I thought it was a great example of British brewers being able to produce tasty, low strength beers. Well done Malcolm Bastow.*

*I think Malcolm's actually done some pub reviews for PuG, in the past.

Bucking Fastard
30-08-2011, 11:18
BOTW for me was Redemption Big Chief a 5.5% American Pale Ale encountered in The Euston Tap last Friday.One of my drinking companions suffers from vertigo ,making the loos up the very tight spiral staircase a non starter for him,so our quaffing there was limited to his bladder capacity (half gallon as it turned out) before a timely exit to The Bree Louise where drinking continued in a more relaxed manner.

RogerB
31-08-2011, 14:55
Several possibilities from the tail end of my stay in Glasgow including the ever popular Orkney Dark Island, a couple of the Clockwork Brewery craft beers and some local Kelburn ales that were quite impressive. A day in Chelmsford threw a few local Wibblers beers into the hat and even a Brentwood beer (not a brewery I have been keen on in the past. Faced with such a choice, many of which I can't really separate I will go with a previously untasted Hogs Back - England's Glory at my local Paper Moon 'Spoons as it passed the taste test among more than just myself!

ROBCamra
31-08-2011, 15:38
Well after a couple of days in Nottingham Blue Monkeys 99 Red Baboons in the Organ Grinder Nottingham threw its hat into the ring.

As did Dancing Ducks Mystery Duck tried at the Roundhouse Nottingham.

BOTW though is going to be Abbeydale Surreal Ale tried in The Salutation in Nottingham. :cheers: