PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hoppy

Delboy20
19-01-2010, 19:35
Hey Hoppy,

We all know you are a confirmed Wetherspoon addict and I have read the phrase "tick them off" in your posts so you must know.

How many Wethers have you been in ????

Does anyone else keep track of how many they have been in ????

Cheers,

Del.

runningdog
19-01-2010, 19:49
Hey Hoppy,

Can't speak for the 'hops', but as JDW fan, nope, I haven't a clue, but then I don't keep records and have no idea how many other pubs I've been in either..........

hopwas
19-01-2010, 21:00
Hey Hoppy,

We all know you are a confirmed Wetherspoon addict and I have read the phrase "tick them off" in your posts so you must know.

Cheers,

Del.

*HIC* sorry.. just got back from pub crawl today. Hmmmm.. I must have visited at least 100 JDW in this country. Good question.. Luckily I have JDW directory with me. I'll come back to you when I am sober!

RogerB
19-01-2010, 22:21
A quick count up reveals 89 different 'Spoons for me not including airports (no idea which ones I've done at airports). I have also been to 4 that have now closed.

hopwas
21-01-2010, 18:27
A quick count up reveals 89 different 'Spoons for me not including airports (no idea which ones I've done at airports). I have also been to 4 that have now closed.

I done... 89 JDWs! Exactly same number as you! Hopefully 90th in London on Monday.

hopwas
21-01-2010, 19:39
Found this blog about my home JDW.. The Silk Kite, Tamworth.

http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/09/23/inside-the-silk-kite-tamworth-blogs-review/

If you scroll down and click on flicker photographs.

Nice looking Deco building eh?

RogerB
21-01-2010, 21:04
I done... 89 JDWs! Exactly same number as you! Hopefully 90th in London on Monday.

I hate to say it but I found 2 more - 91 now!

hopwas
21-01-2010, 21:15
I hate to say it but I found 2 more - 91 now!

:moremad:

Dont worry.. I am planning to new JDW in Derby then 2 new JDW in Brum in next few weeks which will brings me up to 92.

I have no idea where my 100th JDW will be...

RogerB
21-01-2010, 21:23
:moremad:

Dont worry.. I am planning to new JDW in Derby then 2 new JDW in Brum in next few weeks which will brings me up to 92.

I have no idea where my 100th JDW will be...

Well I still haven't been to the new one in Sidcup or despite my frequent trips to Greenwich, not done that one. Or Lewisham. I reckon I can easily keep one step ahead. :p

hopwas
21-01-2010, 21:26
Well I still haven't been to the new one in Sidcup or despite my frequent trips to Greenwich, not done that one. Or Lewisham. I reckon I can easily keep one step ahead. :p

Lucky you.. there is Zillions of JDW's in London! while there is mere 20 in Brum.. Oh I am so jealous of Londoners! I would happily to spend every known 'Spoons in London..

RogerB
21-01-2010, 21:28
I would happily to spend every known 'Spoons in London..

You've obviously never been to Woolwich.

hopwas
21-01-2010, 21:34
You've obviously never been to Woolwich.

Yes?.. What about Woolwich? :confused:

RogerB
21-01-2010, 22:23
Yes?.. What about Woolwich? :confused:

Arsenal started there. Not much else needs to be said other than you go to the Great Harry on a Saturday night at your own risk.

arwkrite
22-01-2010, 06:14
I have only driven once through Woolwich on a Saturday night . We were looking for a Chinese restuarant and Lynne could not understand why I did not want to stop. Something about the place just set my alarm bells ringing which I have found are pretty reliable. I thought I may have done Woolwich an injustice but after reading RogerB posts my concience is clear.

hopwas
22-01-2010, 17:25
I just remembered I missed out Portland Hotel, Chesterfield which takes me to 90 JDW I have visited.. :drinkup:

Soup Dragon
22-01-2010, 18:16
I just remembered I missed out Portland Hotel, Chesterfield which takes me to 90 JDW I have visited.. :drinkup:

Its amazing you are still sane

hopwas
22-01-2010, 18:21
Its amazing you are still sane

JDW and Tamworth FC is the only things kept me from going crazy :p

Soup Dragon
22-01-2010, 18:27
JDW and Tamworth FC is the only things kept me from going crazy :p

Have you ever read Catch-22?

hopwas
22-01-2010, 18:33
Have you ever read Catch-22?

Afraid not, Soupy..

arwkrite
22-01-2010, 23:22
Yeah Soupy I think that would fit Hoppy's dilemma. Must reread that book. We will have to find the quote.

runningdog
22-01-2010, 23:31
Yeah Soupy I think that would fit Hoppy's dilemma. Must reread that book. We will have to find the quote.

Great title, unreadable book, crap film, superb flying scenes..........;):drinkup:

arwkrite
22-01-2010, 23:43
I read it while in college where you do tend to read all sorts of stuff you would not normally go near. Perhaps I would read it with a different outlook today. I agree the film was a disappointment, more surreal than the book.If it had been filmed in the style of "Mash" then I believe it would certainly have been more entertaining. But thats just my thoughts.

trainman
23-01-2010, 08:13
Unreadable? Hard-going in parts, I'll grant you, but it must have summat about it to have achieved such high literary regard. I even ploughed through another Heller monster years later, 'Closing Time', ...did someone mention surreal?

So, the premise of Catch22 was that to get out of the war you had to be insane, but acting like you were was presumed to be just that - acting - therefore you must be sane (you must be sane to want to go home), therefore you had to stay. Catch22 has gone on to become an accepted phrase for a no-win situation. Can't recall the reason for '22' - was it the army rule number regarding mental/medical release?

RogerB
23-01-2010, 08:25
I'm not a big book reader but the most unreadable book I ever attempted was James Joyce's Ulysses. I lasted a page and a half. I think Posh Spice autobiographies are about my level.

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 08:48
I hate sitting in doctors or hospital waiting rooms and being forced to read old copies of "You" magazine and its ilk out of sheer boredom. The daily life of nobodies ...gawd. My docs is more Country Life , House and Home , and 4x4 mags. Much like the conversation in the pubs.

RogerB
23-01-2010, 09:00
A pub / doctors combined could be useful. They could dish out the headache and hangover pills as well as stitch any wounds from rucks or falling off bar stools. Concussion from the constant banging of heads on low beams would receive immediate attention and why not let them double up as a vet for the dog walkers. :rolleyes:

trainman
23-01-2010, 09:01
I find that hard to believe Roger. Posh's autobigraphies? Plural? Pre & post America...?

I'm also not a big reader, and take ages to finish a book - I can't do any of that scan-reading nonsense, and don't quite see the point of missing out chunks of descriptive prose. However...

As with Catch22, when younger I had to read, of course, Kerouac's 'On the Road', but I think I'd struggle to persist with it now. I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment, ploughing on way beyond what should have been a book's point of abandonment, but I was defeated by 'Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance', maybe you have to be smoking summat to get through that stuff.

Currently Ian McEwan's 'Atonement' and recently summat the mrs got on the back of 'Walking Ollie' (same author-Stephen Foster), was 'She Stood There Laughing' - a quite enjoyable Stoke City version of Roger's favourite book 'Fever Pitch'.

btw rd, I'd highly recommend Walking Ollie to any dog owner, but very apt for you as he's a lurcher - lots of laughs in the book.

RogerB
23-01-2010, 09:19
Roger's favourite book 'Fever Pitch'.

Must dig out my '81 Cup Final programmes! Actually, you may be shocked to learn that I have Fever Pitch on one of those freebie newspaper handout dvds and even more shocked to learn that I have even watched it! Had to throw the telly out afterwards though.

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 09:24
I do remember The Swan, Eardisland being used as a morning surgery for some reason but that was back in the 70's. I doubt it would be allowed today under Elf & Safety.Lets face it most pubs are not the cleanest of places.
At one time I read books by weight but dont have the concentration now. I like those books you can dip in and out of without straining the brain, the internet is ideal for that.

oldboots
23-01-2010, 09:34
A pub / doctors combined could be useful.

I don't think so, my doctor called me a binge drinker when I said I had 15 pints last week :moremad:

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 09:45
You want my doctor OB. She told me that seeing I did not do drugs,smoke anything or indulge in promiscuous sex she would turn a blind eye to the self admitted over indulgence. To cap it she is young and pretty as well. If I knew she could cook I would probably propose marriage.

oldboots
23-01-2010, 09:53
Mine bears a striking resemblance to Sammy Davis jnr so I'll definitely swap you

Conrad
23-01-2010, 10:09
I don't think so, my doctor called me a binge drinker when I said I had 15 pints last week :moremad:
I still haven't found time to read up on all this neopro's stuff (or Catch 22 ;)), but I will this morning. It does seem to just be getting silly now.

Edit: Sorry by way of explanation, it is something Pete Brown has blogged about (http://petebrown.blogspot.com/2010/01/answering-neo-prohibitionists-10-of-10.html) and is echoing round a lot of the beer blogs.

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 11:00
I cannot see anything silly about OBs 15 pints. Thats serious dedication:notworthy:. Me ? its just a case of infatuation:love:. She is far to young for me. What would we talk about after? My medical records ?:whistle:

runningdog
23-01-2010, 11:05
btw rd, I'd highly recommend Walking Ollie to any dog owner, but very apt for you as he's a lurcher - lots of laughs in the book.

I started reading that once, was thoroughly enjoying it, then my copy vanished into thin air and I've never gone back to it. Thanks for the reminder. Couple of others worth a read, 'A Dog in the House', as in Westminster and perhaps the funniest dog tale I've ever read, '500 mile Walkies' about taking a stray for a walk round the SW Coast Path, hilarious yet realistic. Dogs, may all yours be there at Rainbow Gate...:drinkup:...Innis & Gunn Vintage today. Bluidy early, I hear you say. Who cares, I don't..........:)

trainman
23-01-2010, 12:48
I started reading that once, was thoroughly enjoying it, then my copy vanished into thin air and I've never gone back to it. Thanks for the reminder. Couple of others worth a read, 'A Dog in the House', as in Westminster and perhaps the funniest dog tale I've ever read, '500 mile Walkies' about taking a stray for a walk round the SW Coast Path, hilarious yet realistic. Dogs, may all yours be there at Rainbow Gate...:drinkup:...Innis & Gunn Vintage today. Bluidy early, I hear you say. Who cares, I don't..........:)
Thanks for that, I just found 500 mile Walkies in same volume as Boogie up the river for 1p plus p&p, order placed.
Didn't understand the Rainbow Gate, but I'm sure it must be dog heaven or summat. Mine are giving me the hurry-up to go out, I'm on duty today, as no pub-crawl. (What? I hear you all say - Sat? & no pub-crawl tm? Sad, but true).

Soup Dragon
23-01-2010, 13:02
I cannot see anything silly about OBs 15 pints.

Where these 15 pints in one go OB, or all week - i think they were that night you were texting me saying how p****d you were - in which case the Dr may have a point - sorry i didnt reply by the way, i couldnt press the keys after my 14th pint:muppet:

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 13:28
I could manage 15 pints over a week but not in one sitting. Just cannot take the bulk these days. Have to revert to wine or scotch. I would say 4 pints is my limit physicaly before I feel over bloated.I just dont seem to get ratted these days even when depressed.Just get fed up and go to bed.

Soup Dragon
23-01-2010, 13:40
I could manage 15 pints over a week but not in one sitting. Just cannot take the bulk these days. Have to revert to wine or scotch. I would say 4 pints is my limit physicaly before I feel over bloated.I just dont seem to get ratted these days even when depressed.Just get fed up and go to bed.

We will have to meet up Mr A, do Leominster or something - get you back on the beer path!

oldboots
23-01-2010, 15:08
Where these 15 pints in one go OB, or all week - i think they were that night you were texting me saying how p****d you were - in which case the Dr may have a point - sorry i didnt reply by the way, i couldnt press the keys after my 14th pint:muppet:

I don't think I've ever had 15 pints in one sitting (or crawl) maybe 8 or so but like Mr A I get bloated after a while and hit the shorts or the brain warping Belgian stuff. In the week in question it was, I believe, a crawl one day and a few bottles at home over the rest of the week nothing outrageous. Bloody cheek of him anyway, when I was a lad the biggest P-Artistes in the pub were the doctors from the local general hospital.

RogerB
24-01-2010, 13:29
Just done a proper count up (it's a slow day so far) - it's actually 94 that I know of + 1 of Heathrow's bars (not sure which terminal) + 4 that are now closed + 1 that was a 'Spoons but I never went there when it was.

runningdog
24-01-2010, 18:46
Didn't understand the Rainbow Gate, but I'm sure it must be dog heaven or summat.
Sorry about that I was goin through old photos and feelin a bit maudlin or summat. I find the tail I'll PM it some time.........
Tail, I ask you, bluidy fingers..........

HTM69
26-01-2010, 10:43
A quick count up reveals I have visited 21 Wetherspoons - 3 of which are/were labelled as Lloyds No.1

I have visited one-or-two airport 'Spoons, but have not cincluded those in the final figures

arwkrite
26-01-2010, 12:11
So far I can remember 32 not including airport locations. This to me appears on the low side considering the amount of touring we used to do, but I have only comparatively recently started to keep track of pubs visited.JDWs would have been a sure stop in any town centre due to its policy on disabled facilities.Whilst writing this I have amended the total four times as I remember others.

HTM69
26-01-2010, 20:00
A quick count up reveals I have visited 21 Wetherspoons - 3 of which are/were labelled as Lloyds No.1

I have visited one-or-two airport 'Spoons, but have not cincluded those in the final figures

Actually, make that 22!

Just remembered the dozen-or-so visits to The Gate Clock, Greenwich - one of their least inspiring efforts, IMO

Delboy20
26-01-2010, 23:13
Hi all,

I know I am over the 100 mark. No airport ones at all.
Just think of all that waiting for service !!

Cheers,

Del.

arwkrite
27-01-2010, 06:52
I remember having a pint at one of London's Airports at 6am>7am .Having been awake most the night it felt quite normal.No queue either. Otherwise its coffee and brandy, I like the coffee JDWs serve.

aleandhearty
27-01-2010, 12:26
As far as I can recall, I've been in just four. What that actually says about me, I don't know!

arwkrite
27-01-2010, 12:37
As far as I can recall, I've been in just four. What that actually says about me, I don't know!
What about" I tend to drink so much I forget the name of the pubs I drink in" ? Sorry Mod . I will get at the back of the queue.:whistle:

oldboots
27-01-2010, 17:41
apparently I've been in 14 of them.

Oggwyn Trench
27-01-2010, 17:47
I think i`ve only been in 4 and 1 of them is closed

trainman
05-02-2010, 11:24
perhaps the funniest dog tale I've ever read, '500 mile Walkies' about taking a stray for a walk round the SW Coast Path, hilarious yet realistic

My 1p (plus ~£2.60p&p) copy of Travels with Boogie just arrived! Comprising '500 Mile Walkies' and 'Boogie up the River'. Gotta finish Atonement first, but I'll report back eventually rd.
My copy of Ollie went out on loan & I don't think it ever reappeared. If it does, I'll happily send it on if you wish.

arwkrite
05-02-2010, 11:54
Not now having the power of concentration to read a great deal and my general dislike of TV I am a big fan of radio. Not the endless music and phone in stuff more the radio 4 . My favourite is BBC7 on DAB, its never off.
This week they have had a serialised " Boogie up the River" plenty of Sherlock Holmes and old style comedy. An interesting monologue by Joyce Grenfell on her life and crime thrillers about a priest who solves murders.
I have to dispose of my mrs collection of mostly crime fiction. If she was not playing games on her laptop she was reading murder stories. A big fan of NCIS the more gruesome the better, Kathy Riechs being her favourite. The charity shops won't know what hit them.

Gann
05-02-2010, 12:33
36 so far for me..

Best Beer choice experience is in The Crosse Keys on Gracechurch Street (which is why I keep going back)

Best Architechture experience is The Opera House in Tunbridge Wells

And worst experience so far goes to The Lantokay in Street, Somerset..

Gann
05-02-2010, 12:38
[QUOTE=Gann;6400]

Best Beer choice experience is in The Crosse Keys on Gracechurch Street (which is why I keep going back)

QUOTE]

Sorry that is Gracechurch Street in The City of London...
I had my London view head on, apologies to all north of Watford Gap.

hopwas
05-02-2010, 12:44
36 so far for me..

Best Architechture experience is The Opera House in Tunbridge Wells

And worst experience so far goes to The Lantokay in Street, Somerset..

Hi Cann.. Glad to see fellow forumer who appreciate JDW

Best Beer choice experience.. Babington Arms, Derby. sells at least 10 ales, sometimes 15.

Best Architecture experience.. The Palladium, Llandudno, Wales. Formerly theatre and still retain original fittings.

Worst Experience.. The Penny Black, Bicester. Plenty of drunks and Chavs milling about.

Grailhunter
05-02-2010, 13:10
Hi Cann.. Glad to see fellow forumer who appreciate JDW

Worst Experience.. The Penny Black, Bicester. Plenty of drunks and Chavs milling about.

I reckon I've probably done around 50 JDW and I have to agree with Hoppy, the Penny Black in Bicester is truly awful.
I find that JDWs' are either very good or very bad. Rarely seem to get one in the middle which is just OK.
My favourite is the Winter Gardens in Harrogate. More for the architecture than anything else. It is a great place to just sit and chill out with a good reasonably priced ale.

hopwas
05-02-2010, 13:14
Hi Grailhunter..

I have visited Oxfordshire quite number of times Such as Banbury, Bicester, Henley but strangely never Oxford itself! I dont know why..

Grailhunter
05-02-2010, 13:20
Hi Grailhunter..

I have visited Oxfordshire quite number of times Such as Banbury, Bicester, Henley but strangely never Oxford itself! I dont know why..

Oxford has some good pubs and some pretty lousy ones as well. Much like anywhere else really. Should you ever decide to visit let me know and I'll give you some recommendations, especially some places where the students tend not to find so they're less mobbed.

Gann
05-02-2010, 13:24
My favourite is the Winter Gardens in Harrogate. More for the architecture than anything else. It is a great place to just sit and chill out with a good reasonably priced ale.

Can concur, this would be my second choice on the architectural front and had the opportunity to visit last year..

Was a close thing, but The Opera House in TW swings it due to the perfect original features (ceilings, boxes and decor).
You can also sit and drink on the original stage with the original massive opera organ behind..

The photo's on PuG give some impression but http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/TunbridgeWells/OperaHouseImages.htm is a good site if you want to have a closer look..

hopwas
05-02-2010, 13:33
The photo's on PuG give some impression but http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/TunbridgeWells/OperaHouseImages.htm is a good site if you want to have a closer look..

Wow.. Very nice pub. Won't mind go there myself.

Inside "The Palladium" looks exactly the same as The Opera House.

Front:

http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/images/pictures/16/26/the-palladium-llandudno-160183.jpg

Inside:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/2946831774_ffe937ab37.jpg

Dave M
05-02-2010, 14:34
I once spent a night in Bicester but couldn't recall which pub I visited.

Just had a look though and it was definitely the Penny Black, seem to remember it not being the nicest. But I was in good company so didn't care. I certainly hadn't realised it was a JDW though.

hopwas
05-02-2010, 15:04
I once spent a night in Bicester but couldn't recall which pub I visited.

Just had a look though and it was definitely the Penny Black, seem to remember it not being the nicest. But I was in good company so didn't care. I certainly hadn't realised it was a JDW though.

One interesting fact about the Penny Black, Footballer Gazza once caused trouble inisde the pub and made into National papers.

hopwas
10-02-2010, 20:02
UPDATE

I also missed out The Turnhouse at Edinburgh Airport then 5 JDWs I visited yesterday takes me up to 96.

runningdog
10-02-2010, 20:10
A big fan of NCIS the more gruesome the better, Kathy Riechs being her favourite. The charity shops won't know what hit them.
Now that's an author to conjure with you. I enjoy the 'Bones' series, but there's nothing jokey about the originals.........:eek:

RogerB
11-02-2010, 09:24
UPDATE

takes me up to 96.

I'm now on 99. I'm wondering if I get the executive key to the staff toilets and free bag of nuts when I hit the ton.

hopwas
11-02-2010, 09:59
I'm now on 99. I'm wondering if I get the executive key to the staff toilets and free bag of nuts when I hit the ton.

Excellent! I wonder which JDW will be your 100th?

I already plotted the route for my next pub crawl.. By looking at route.. Either Stourbridge's The Edward Rutland or Halesowen's The William Shenstone will be my 100th

Hopefully I'll get free beer at any JDWs for life when I hit 100.. :whistle:

arwkrite
11-02-2010, 10:26
RogerB that idea could be a good marketing ploy if the demand was there. But thinking about it you always see the staff using the disabled toilet and leaving the door open. Perhaps they don't have executive wash rooms. I won't say no to a packet of nuts though.

I read the posts about Bicester with interest. I have a stepson who lives in a nearby village and during the summer of 08 me and the mrs babysat the grandson. Our escape was a trip into Bicester. Of no real architectural or cultural merit we nevertheless found the people friendly ,good shopping and some good pubs. What we really liked was the place was flat and very wheelchair friendly. Our visits were always in the afternoon, midweek or Sunday. The Penny Black while overcrowded with tables was no worse than the average Spoons with your average daytime mix of customers.Most of the staff were chatty and the beer and food ok. I do know that Bicester changes character onThur/ Friday /Saturday nights just like most towns so we made ourselves scarce. On these nights we would go no further into town than The Bure Farm, a Marstons eatery cum pub with a very good chip shop nearby. Good choice of country pubs out and about.
One of my fondest memories is of sat outside the Bure with a pint of Jennings with the mrs secretly feeding chips to the grandson for the first time.Like feeding a monkey nuts.

arwkrite
11-02-2010, 10:40
Halesowen's The William Shenstone.

I like this pub, one of the smaller JDWs it can get manic at the time shops and offices close. Great view of the imposing church opposite ( better than looking at shops or empty buildings).There is a bust stop outside and the taxis always evident. Its always had a good selection of beers and its always been good. Good Choice. The customers are certainly less intimidating than Cradely

hopwas
11-02-2010, 10:49
Halesowen's The William Shenstone.

I like this pub, one of the smaller JDWs it can get manic at the time shops and offices close. Great view of the imposing church opposite ( better than looking at shops or empty buildings).There is a bust stop outside and the taxis always evident. Its always had a good selection of beers and its always been good. Good Choice. The customers are certainly less intimidating than Cradely

Thanks fella! Havent been to Halesowen for years since I went to famous Waggon and Horses pub. My route will be Northfield (New JDW opening tomorrow), Halesowen, Stourbridge, Brierley Hill, Dudley, Sedgley and finally Walsall.

Northfield's JDW is the only one I never been to in entire Birmingham City District.

Oh it is Cradley not Cradely that you spelt.

arwkrite
11-02-2010, 10:53
Cheers
Hoppy, spelling is not my strong point, a bit of a drawback if like me you are a crossword nut. Spell checkers are my friends who occasionally let me down.

arwkrite
11-02-2010, 11:08
"I am back!!! What a mad day in West Midlands, Especially Creadley Heath.. reports will be on here later on!

J.D Wetherspoon = http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/../images/smilies/smiley-gen053.gifhttp://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/../images/smilies/smiley-gen053.gifhttp://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/../images/smilies/smiley-gen053.gif Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/" (http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/09/23/inside-the-silk-kite-tamworth-blogs-review/)

Eerrmm HOPPY how did you say it was spelled ?

hopwas
11-02-2010, 11:18
Errrrrrrrrrrr....

Blame on coffee.. caffeine gives me shakes!