PDA

View Full Version : Changing taste in beer...

General Staal
17-08-2011, 08:49
I have spent a long time hating all of Purity's beers. But I have now become very fond of UBU.

Last year I discovered a new liking for Abbott Ale after years of ignoring it.

Do our tastes change as we age, or do we get less fussy?

Strongers
17-08-2011, 08:58
I wondered this as my tastes have changed in regard to food and drink. I've become less fond of sweet things and I am more willing to try things that I have previously not liked.

General Staal
17-08-2011, 09:01
When I go out for a meal, I no longer eat dessert. I just head for the cheeses. And I have developed more of a taste for the strong blue cheeses...

I am also more willing to try different tastes.

Strongers
17-08-2011, 10:24
I didn't think that I liked sausages until I was about 15 when I had a decent one round a friends house. Turned out that my mum used to buy a bag of 10000 for a pound from Bejam. Same with cornflakes, loved them around my grandparents, but hated them at home. Always confused me until I realised how poor we really were and could only afford Happy Shopper!

This is why I now try food that I think I don't like as I'm often pleasantly surprised.

It doesn't matter how many times I drink GK IPA though, It's always nasty.

Gann
17-08-2011, 10:52
Most definately your tastes change as you go through life, and according to the medical people its all related to your taste buds and saliva..

When you're young you had taste buds, not only on your tongue, but on the sides and roof of your mouth. This tends to mean you were very sensitive to different foods and drinks. As you age, the taste buds began to disappear from the sides and roof of your mouth, leaving taste buds mostly on your tongue.
As you move into 'old codgerhood', your taste buds will become even less sensitive, so you will be more likely to eat foods that you previously disliked. So in one way , saying you become less fussy , is correct..

Personally I couldn't stand whisky and Olives as a teen, but now have a bit of an unhealthy taste for both..

and ps.. one sure fire way of numbing your taste buds is to smoke......

Gann
17-08-2011, 11:01
It doesn't matter how many times I drink GK IPA though, It's always nasty.

And Spookily Strongers, whilst revisiting the Cider thread I came across this quote from the beginning of the year....

"I used to drink Strongbow all the time, hence the user name Strongers which was given to me by the barman in Gertie Browns in Hampstead that is now long closed. My taste buds have changed as I’ve aged as I cannot stand the stuff now. "

Farway
17-08-2011, 14:41
I have found that spicier food is more palatable now, not vindaloo stuff, but mild chili or korma is acceptable whereas I could not stand it when younger

But I did like Red Barrel & Worthington E so perhaps my tastes have always been askew?

Strongers
17-08-2011, 14:54
The problem with curry is that a Madras in one restaurant can be hotter than a Vindaloo in another... bit of pot luck really. I like a good Chinese, but I've noticed a massive drop in quality over the years. So much so that I don't bother with them anymore. I must say that I do like a pub Thai every now and again and I've not had a bad one yet.

gillhalfpint
17-08-2011, 17:24
I have felt a little worried about tastes and beers. I used to love trying different beers, but find so many of them now are too citrusy and too sharp for my taste, and I went to a beer festival and had to think really hard to find a beer I would have enjoyed trying again. This did worry me.

I still want to experiment with flavour, but hope that the abundance of hoppy beers starts to give me some flavours I can hook onto as enjoyable rather than just added to my list as another tick. Don't know a solution to this really. Just keep enjoying going to the grand social gatherings we call beer festivals.

Egham tomorrow.

Andy Ven
17-08-2011, 20:22
I used to love trying different beers, but find so many of them now are too citrusy and too sharp for my taste.

Maybe to satisfy the recent lager converts?

As I moved from my late 20s and through my 30s I definitely moved towards richer and darker things:
- from sweet white wine gradually to full bodied reds (Barossa Shiraz over £10 per bottle is likely to hit the spot for me - roll on my next visit to Nidderdale!),
- from lager to blonde beer then on to dark amber beers and mild
- rich fruit cake laced with brandy

Still can't stand coffee though

gillhalfpint
17-08-2011, 20:41
That's funny as I went from white to red wines too, and had a spell on lager - never with lime though - yuk - and love fruit cake and brandy.

Started with Vaux Samson in the 60's and had spells on Rosso, Vodka and pineapple, but neat whisky - can't take most mixers, anti citrus again. Went through a brief creamflow stage till I rediscovered real ale thanks to Crag Rat. If at a do with no real ale I have had red wine or guinness, or popped to a pub next door for a quick half while folk thought I'd gone to the loo.

Strongers
17-08-2011, 21:31
I've gone off white wine and red gives me a hangover while I'm still drinking the second glass. Love Christmas pud and I take my coffee with a table spoon of milk (no I don't measure it).

I like Guinness, but I'll pass it over for any other stout, which I don't see/notice very often.

Alesonly
18-08-2011, 09:41
Ive noticed my self that I now prefer Darker Beers like Porters' Stouts & Milds where as years ago I preferred Light Beers but I find a lot of the light beers now have a too sharp taste for my liking.

General Staal
18-08-2011, 11:52
roll on my next visit to Nidderdale!)

I have just come back from a stay in Grassington, Wharfedale. Some top pubs around there. I especially liked the Craven Arms in Appletreewick. But my 'local' for the week was the Forester's Arms. Superb!

Moonraker
18-08-2011, 17:36
I would never admit to this, but I did once like the taste of Watney's Red. :moremad:

gillhalfpint
18-08-2011, 17:52
Grassington brings back memories of camping at Kettlewell in a stupid tent of muslin meant for kids in the garden. Great weather though, and a great pub in Kettlewell where a bloke offered me a lamb for £2. When I was daft enough to go and look at it, it looked like a full size sheep to me, despite being bottle fed so I declined. Swimming in the river under the bridge - great times. That was 1969 or thereabouts, and I had a slopey back Ford Anglia. I enjoyed the walk along the back road Kettlewell to Grassington and some of the walks over the tops to Arncliffe if I remember right.

aleandhearty
19-08-2011, 12:10
I still want to experiment with flavour, but hope that the abundance of hoppy beers starts to give me some flavours I can hook onto as enjoyable rather than just added to my list as another tick. Don't know a solution to this really.
I find the new wave of spicy red ales quite exciting (BrewDog '5am Saint', HighWire 'Rapture' etc). Hoppy, but with a bit more malt in the mix.

When you're young you had taste buds, not only on your tongue, but on the sides and roof of your mouth. This tends to mean you were very sensitive to different foods and drinks. As you age, the taste buds began to disappear from the sides and roof of your mouth, leaving taste buds mostly on your tongue.

Personally I couldn't stand whisky and Olives as a teen, but now have a bit of an unhealthy taste for both..

I read in an article by The Royal Horticultural Society, that total numbers of tastebuds can diminish by up to 50% when you're over the age of 40, a massive amount. I'm sure that's contributed to my polarised tastes in both beer and wine, where there's bags of character. I love pale hoppy beers, or the dark roast flavours of milds and porters. Similarly with wine, I love aromatic whites such as gewurtztraminer, viognier or dark broody reds such as shiraz, carmenere, primitivo etc.

For a fleeting moment, I had an image of you popping a couple of Kalamatas into a glass of your ten year old malt. :D

gillhalfpint
19-08-2011, 17:54
A good beer to tickle the tastebuds is Kent Chilli Pale 4.0% which we had at Egham fest yesterday. It was great. Ray didn't like it, but then I didn't like the wheat beer he chose. There you go. Tastebuds make a lot of difference and no-one can have the same choices really - we are all different.