PDA

View Full Version : Not A Fan Of Wetherspoons? Check This Out!

HTM69
18-01-2010, 13:25
Here goes: first post!

Anyone with a dislike for Tim Martins forever-growing empire can join this merry lot!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Avoid-JD-Wetherspoon/44864167834#

Conrad
18-01-2010, 13:37
Hi HTM69,

Oh dear :D, this can't end well.

Welcome to PG, I think you already know quite a lot of our posters, myself and Dave M are the site admins so if you have any problems, queries or can see ways to improve the site, just let us know. I would normally suggest that our most prolific poster Hopwas (Hoppy) will be along to greet you shortly, but as someone who would get a job cheerleading for JDW he may be a bit grumpy (plus he is on a pub crawl in London).

Hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

oldboots
18-01-2010, 13:43
Hello to another name familiar from somewhere else, welcome HTM69 join the rest of the escapees :D

Hoppy - calm down, calm down, HTM doesn't mean it, it's just a bit of fun on Farcebook

RogerB
18-01-2010, 13:53

Anyone with a dislike for Tim Martins forever-growing empire can join this merry lot!

Oh dear. I shouldn't have told you that Wetherspoons 3rd biggest fan (behind Tim Martin and that John Adams bloke who has visited virtually every one) is present on this site.

HTM69
18-01-2010, 14:02
Well, I wanted to start a thread and I thought this would generate a few responses!

I am actually a Wetherspoon fan.

I wonder if Hoppy could enlighten me on whether they are likely to open a new branch in the Medway area? I e-mailed them and got the response I expected: ' we are always on the look out. Please inform us if you know of any premises which become avaiable and may be suitable' Well, it went something like that, anyway!

RogerB
18-01-2010, 14:16
Well, I wanted to start a thread and I thought this would generate a few responses!

I wonder if Hoppy could enlighten me on whether they are likely to open a new branch in the Medway area? I e-mailed them and got the response I expected: ' we are always on the look out. Please inform us if you know of any premises which become avaiable and may be suitable' Well, it went something like that, anyway!

This is the best place to get the latest on Wetherspoon openings - its the John Adams (as previously mentioned) 'Spoons page http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaajpa/pubs-spoons.html . The answer, sadly, is no.

Conrad
18-01-2010, 14:38
Oh well thats Hoppy writing in and suggesting his house then ;)

hopwas
18-01-2010, 14:41

:moremad::moremad::moremad: I would just love to meet this person who set up.. I would gladly bring him to Silk Kite in Tamworth and discuss our differences. What is his beef with JDW? Most of JDWs I have visited is very friendly staff, great food, huge array of beers and great banter with fellow drinkers. I must admit one or two I had a bad experience but I just walked it off. It is seedy pubs like The Acorn in Erdington, Tavern in the Town, Tamworth and any dodgy pubs recieves far worse reaction than JDW.

Hello to another name familiar from somewhere else, welcome HTM69 join the rest of the escapees :D

Hoppy - calm down, calm down, HTM doesn't mean it, it's just a bit of fun on Farcebook

:D I just calmed down after reading farcebook. Oh I have noticed there is surge of people from BITE to here. What happening?!

Oh dear. I shouldn't have told you that Wetherspoons 3rd biggest fan (behind Tim Martin and that John Adams bloke who has visited virtually every one) is present on this site.

:D Thanks Roger! I have virtually every one in West Midlands (not black country) and most in East Midlands.

Iam glad you are JDW fan :cheers: I am pleased there is growing support of JDW on this forum :drinkup: See below. Also there is 2 new JDW open in Brum very soon. I do intend to visit both and tick off JDW pubs.

This is the best place to get the latest on Wetherspoon openings - its the John Adams (as previously mentioned) 'Spoons page http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaajpa/pubs-spoons.html . The answer, sadly, is no.

Yep It is simply the best place to visit or grab free JDW mag in JDW pubs. They usually show listings of new coming soon pubs.

hopwas
18-01-2010, 14:45
Oh well thats Hoppy writing in and suggesting his house then ;)

:D That's right. You should have keep your mouth shut...

If I were to open new JDW in my house. I would call it as..

The Coleshill Town Arms :whistle:

runningdog
18-01-2010, 15:19

I keep telling folk, 'e's only third or fourth...was in the Nightjar this morning, the guests were all dying, the Directors and Fortyniner off, but loads of pipe cleaning going on and a brand new barrel of Abbot which is now well started.....:drinkup::drinkup:

RogerB
23-01-2010, 13:42
I wouldn't want to upset Hoppy but just spotted my photo in the current 'Spoons mag - page 20 under "Visit a victory for ale-lovers". That's me, the tall one in the centre at the very back, in front of the vat, wearing a white t-shirt. You'll need a microscope though. Mrs B is a couple of faces to the right tucked in behind the baldy bloke! It was bloody cold in there!

arwkrite
29-01-2010, 22:13
I was reading this morning that Green King will try to appeal more to the 30 yrs + female .Pink toilets, glossy mags, toiletrys ,bigger wine glasses and drinks which have feminine appeal. It may also appeal to those chaps wishing to make closer contact with their feminine side.
I think GK is looking for a niche market that is probably already catered for. Ladettes know they want cheap booze and access to chaps and music. The Hunter/ Killer type of 30yrs plus female can be found in the same places looking for much the same. I use the term H/K because they are normally more single minded in what they want :love:and are not side tracked into competing with men as happens with the younger ones.:cheers:
Another group of 30+ females are to be found in groups of three or four ( I see few pairs these days) and are often found out for a meal sharing a bottle of white or rose' wine in a smaller food orientated venue. They enjoy themselves in a quiet manner and will never be found ratted in the gutter or the local A&E. Neither can I see them in the local Hungry Horse. JDWs however seem to attract a number but not later in the evening.
Never mind chaps on a quiet night at your GK local you can always read out the Problem Page in Cosmopolitan to pass the time. If the walls are pink you are definitely in the wrong one.

arwkrite
30-01-2010, 22:15
Now for something different.....As I was being chased out of the local supermarket with bottles of none discounted beer in my trolley I stopped to look at the front page of the Malvern Gazette.( the Store Detective really must have his hernia op,he cannot catch a cold at the moment). It would appear that JDWs have taken over the Folley Arms, Worcester Road, Malvern . No reviews on PG at the moment.

Oggwyn Trench
30-01-2010, 22:23
Now for something different.....As I was being chased out of the local supermarket with bottles of none discounted beer in my trolley I stopped to look at the front page of the Malvern Gazette.( the Store Detective really must have his hernia op,he cannot catch a cold at the moment). It would appear that JDWs have taken over the Folley Arms, Worcester Road, Malvern . No reviews on PG at the moment.

Is that the one thats been on the news this week , staff informed on day of closure , it was closing by fax .
Went in there years ago when it was a GBG pub , ok but slightly upmarket , suppose it will be slightly down market soon

arwkrite
30-01-2010, 22:30
Probabably that one Oggwyn. Not been to Malvern for a few years, to flippin hilly. When I drove past it the place looked like an upmarket hotel with pricey motors in its small roadside car park. I should imagine the views from the rear windows could be quiet impressive.

Oggwyn Trench
30-01-2010, 23:30
Probabably that one Oggwyn. Not been to Malvern for a few years, to flippin hilly. When I drove past it the place looked like an upmarket hotel with pricey motors in its small roadside car park. I should imagine the views from the rear windows could be quiet impressive.

I have not been drinking in Malvern in years , its not just the hills , for what is basically a small town its spread over such a wide area (well maybe long and narrow)

hopwas
31-01-2010, 12:00
I wouldn't want to upset Hoppy but just spotted my photo in the current 'Spoons mag - page 20 under "Visit a victory for ale-lovers". That's me, the tall one in the centre at the very back, in front of the vat, wearing a white t-shirt. You'll need a microscope though. Mrs B is a couple of faces to the right tucked in behind the baldy bloke! It was bloody cold in there!

I just saw photo! You lucky sod! Twice I was photographed but never made to Wetherspoon mag..

Maybe 3rd time lucky eh?

arwkrite
31-01-2010, 12:07
Lets face it Hoppy you are just not Celebrity material. I mean when were you last seen in "Hello" or "Time Out" or even "The Dog Breeders Gazette". Roger has that something that the man from Tamworth lacks.( Or the bloke from Bromyard come to that).

hopwas
11-02-2010, 16:56
I just found this website http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaajpa/pubs-spoons.html

It lists every JDW in UK
New JDWs opening soon
Closed JDWs

All are up to date.

I have bookmarked this into my favourites bar.. :cheers:

Hoppy

Conrad
11-02-2010, 17:05
Merged the threads where this link was mentioned, Rogerb pointed it out back in post #6 (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?821-Not-A-Fan-Of-Wetherspoons-Check-This-Out%21&p=4726#post4726).

hopwas
11-02-2010, 17:45
Merged the threads where this link was mentioned, Rogerb pointed it out back in post #6 (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?821-Not-A-Fan-Of-Wetherspoons-Check-This-Out%21&p=4726#post4726).

:eek: I bow to you.. you must have good memory! Just I thought you was starting to suffer from "grey cells".. :whistle:

Somehow I missed Rogerb's post :o Sorry Rogerb..

Thanks for merging this into this thread

Hoppy