PDA

View Full Version : Football Crazy

oldboots
18-01-2010, 12:51
I know there's a lot of footy fans on PG, and good luck to the guy but this sort of thing would make me find another pub pretty sharpish,

"Pubs continue to come up with ingenuous ways to make the most of the sporting calendar. The one that grabbed my attention recently was Marston’s tenant Tim Baker who has installed his very own four-tier stand at the Roebuck in Marchwood, Hampshire. Not surprisingly, going the extra mile for his sports-mad customers has seen turnover double to £10,000 a week. It cost about £10,000 to install his stand, but certainly makes a statement about the pub’s commitment to the best possible sports coverage."

from Paul Charity's column in the Morning Advertiser full story here (http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/85602?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ma-rss-all-news+%28Rss+news+feed+for+Morning+Advertiser%29)

RogerB
18-01-2010, 14:12
If I was just going to the pub specifically watch a match I think I would quite fancy it as a bit of a novelty. I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of it though to see how intrusive it actually is.

aleandhearty
18-01-2010, 15:02
who has installed his very own four-tier stand at the Roebuck in Marchwood, Hampshire.

I should imagine it whiffs a bit if everybody goes for a pee at the back.

Farway
18-01-2010, 16:06
Well I'm buggered, right near my daughter's, they reckoned pub was not up to much though whenever I have passed it with them

Are you aware the Scummers practice ground is there as well? Which probably may help to explain it, maybe get the groupies & WAGS in there?

Conrad
18-01-2010, 17:42
Doesn't appeal to me I must admit, but if it gets them a good crowd and keeps them in business fair play.

Oggwyn Trench
18-01-2010, 18:54
To be honest i dont like sitting down to watch football , its one of the reasons i stopped going and when i`m in the pub i prefer to prop up the bar so it`s no use to me , on the other hand if they installed a small section of terracing with crush barriers to lean against and the smell of pipe tobacco and bovril wafting around !!!! Sorry getting all nostalgic again:drinkup:

Soup Dragon
18-01-2010, 19:21
Well I'm buggered, right near my daughter's, they reckoned pub was not up to much though whenever I have passed it with them

Are you aware the Scummers practice ground is there as well? Which probably may help to explain it, maybe get the groupies & WAGS in there?

I went to Weston-Super-Mare V Dorchester once and all the WAGS for WSM were seated in front of us - the club wanted to do a calendar with them all in - sadly, there were only 5 to start with and 3 went for a cup of tea within 10 mins of KO - mind you, i went for a cup after 15 mins!

Dave M
18-01-2010, 19:46
To be honest i dont like sitting down to watch football
Yeah, don't like the thought of sitting in a pub in that way, one of the things I like about watching in a pub is that you get a nice mix of rival fans and so there is usually a bit of banter going. Having seating like that would ruin the atmosphere in the same way it does at grounds.

I wonder how they managed to increase turnover so much. Do you think perhaps they take advantage of the fact people are sat down by selling them pies and stuff?

the club wanted to do a calendar with them all in

I knew a WSM WAG a few years back, cant think that she'd have done that though. Must investigate. ;)

hopwas
18-01-2010, 19:52
I went to Weston-Super-Mare V Dorchester!

Ahhh thats blast from the past.. I used go to WSM many years ago when Tamworth was in same division as WSM and Dorchester. Interesting fact as WSM is that they never been relegated since its formation in 1887! :eek::eek:

(nudge nudge Tamworth and Bristol City you can learn from WSM..:whistle:)

hopwas
18-01-2010, 19:56
I knew a WSM WAG a few years back, cant think that she'd have done that though. Must investigate. ;)

One of my close friends who know England Rugby player Mike Tindall and has met Zara Phillips. Even He sat next to her at Twickenham two years ago and showed me photo as proof..

Farway
19-01-2010, 14:13
One of my close friends who know England Rugby player Mike Tindall and has met Zara Phillips. Even He sat next to her at Twickenham two years ago and showed me photo as proof..124

Here's one of me with said Zara, I was a bit younger then :D

Conrad
19-01-2010, 14:25

Her's one of me with said Zara, I was a bit younger then :D
I laughed.

When I find these posts particularly amusing I am now going to click on the little star to the bottom left of a post, it adds to the reputation of the poster - I think that is what the little green dots under your title are about.

ROBCamra
19-01-2010, 15:41

Here's one of me with said Zara, I was a bit younger then :D

I think we should start a name dropping thread, you know the sort of thing.

When I was younger I played pool against Lisa Stansfield (true).

What do you guys think?

RogerB
19-01-2010, 15:52

I bet she won as well. :D

Farway
19-01-2010, 15:57
I think we should start a name dropping thread, you know the sort of thing.

What do you guys think?

Malcolm Muggeridge's brother ran an ironmonger's shop near us

Farway
19-01-2010, 15:59
I saw Bob Geldorf near Downing Street when I was visiting the Houses of Parliament last year :notworthy:

ROBCamra
19-01-2010, 17:32
I bet she won as well. :D

She did, AND she knew more swear words than I did :rolleyes:

RogerB
19-01-2010, 17:51
I saw Bob Geldorf near Downing Street when I was visiting the Houses of Parliament last year :notworthy:

Near Chessington World Of Adventures (or Zoo as it was when I lived there, er, Chessington that is, not the zoo) is a large house which I presume is owned by a record company. The Boomtown Rats were one of the bands who had a period living there, presumably at the record company's expense and Geldof was often spotted in the nearby Harrow pub. Marillion also stayed there in the mid 80's but I had left town by then.

Oggwyn Trench
19-01-2010, 18:14
Many years ago i tried chatting up the tasty looking barmaid at the Three Fishs in Shrewsbury , did`nt get anywhere , next time i saw her was on MTV singing Heart and Soul , it was Carol Decker of T`pau

Conrad
19-01-2010, 18:50
Many years ago i tried chatting up the tasty looking barmaid at the Three Fishs in Shrewsbury , did`nt get anywhere , next time i saw her was on MTV singing Heart and Soul , it was Carol Decker of T`pau
Went to see her quite a few years back during a reform tour.

Amusing bit was I went with a friend who had had quite a crush on her in his youth, as we were going in the Seven Stars for a quick drink before seeing them play in the Fleece I glanced in the window to see the her and the band having a quick drink, so I turned to my mate and said, 'don't look ahead as you go in the pub' :).

Walked in turned straight away and walked to the bar leaving him staring at her from the doorway as he inevitably did exactly what told not to, thankfully didn't get punched for that one.

runningdog
19-01-2010, 20:03
Malcolm Muggeridge's brother ran an ironmonger's shop near us

Somehow, lad, that doesn't surprise me.........:glass:

Arthurish
25-01-2010, 11:13
Just wondering, was the stand inside the pub or out?

Arthurish