PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 24 Jan 2010)

Conrad
17-01-2010, 17:38
Following on from the last thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?817-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-17-Jan-2010%29&p=4695), the place to discuss beers you enjoyed in the w/e 24 Jan 2010. I will promote any beers you clearly state as your beer of the week to this first post.

Eddie86: Tactical Nuclear Penguin (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?619-Beer-of-the-Week&p=4892#post4892)
Conrad: Bath Ales Festivity (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?818-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-24-Jan-2010%29&p=5113#post5113)
oldboots: Acorn Brewery's Barnsley Bitter (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?818-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-24-Jan-2010%29&p=5470#post5470)
Oggwyn Trench: Hobsons Best (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?818-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-24-Jan-2010%29&p=5477#post5477)
Dave M: Thames Valley Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?818-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-24-Jan-2010%29&p=5487#post5487)
ROBCamra: Elland 1872 Porter (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?818-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-24-Jan-2010%29&p=5493#post5493)
aleandhearty: Hartington IPA (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?818-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-24-Jan-2010%29&p=5537#post5537)
RogerB: Whitstable Kentish Reserve (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?818-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-24-Jan-2010%29&p=5550#post5550)
Millay: Yorks Centurians Ghost (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?818-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-24-Jan-2010%29&p=5581#post5581)

Wittenden
17-01-2010, 17:53
I'll kick-off by boldly proclaiming that DarkStar Hophead is my beer of the week-probably of the decade. Surprising really, when I consider myself a traditional brown bitter/dark ale man. Mind you, everything I 've had from this brewery is excellent.

RogerB
17-01-2010, 18:41
That's not fair - we haven't finished last week yet! I've still got 2 'Spoons, my local wierd beer pub and a few Doom Bars at my quiz night to get through before we start on w/e 24 Jan. :eek:

Conrad
17-01-2010, 18:48
Hi Wittenden,

First of all welcome to Pubs Galore! Myself and Dave M are the admins of the site, so if you are having any problems, are confused by anything or can see anything that needs improving just ask either of us. Not sure if you already know some of our regulars, but they are a friendly bunch, Hoppy (Hopwas) is the chatty one who is bound to say hello if you are round here long enough.

I was getting a little ahead of myself I must admit, I think this threads week has about 5-6 hours before it is valid. Let me know if you want me to put your suggestion onto last weeks thread though.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Conrad

hopwas
18-01-2010, 10:58
Thanks Dictator!

I will report back when I get back from London (Couple of pubs to explore) I am so looking foward this trip for long time.

aleandhearty
18-01-2010, 14:50
I'll kick-off by boldly proclaiming that DarkStar Hophead is my beer of the week-probably of the decade.

Must be good stuff this Hophead. There are too many people whose judgement I trust* who rave about it.

Welcome to PG 'wittenden'. Always good to have another familiar name. Hope you like what you see and decide to stick around.

* Then again RogerB loves Blue Anchor beers :eek:

Dave M
18-01-2010, 15:01
Must be good stuff this Hophead. There are too many people whose judgement I trust* who rave about it.
Yes, I've been thinking the same, I've never managed to find it anywhere in Bristol though.

I guess now Dark Star have moved to new premises and have tripled their capacity it may well become a bit more widespread.

aleandhearty
18-01-2010, 15:35
Yes, I've been thinking the same, I've never managed to find it anywhere in Bristol though.

I guess now Dark Star have moved to new premises and have tripled their capacity it may well become a bit more widespread.

No doubt I'll get jumped on by ROBCamra and 'oldboots' for saying this, but I've never seen any Dark Star beers locally either. I've just been on the Dark Star website and apparently Hophead is made with Cascade hops, so that should be right up my street.

oldboots
18-01-2010, 15:55
No doubt I'll get jumped on by ROBCamra and 'oldboots' for saying this, but I've never seen any Dark Star beers locally either.

I'm too old to jump about, it's rare in t'north I'll admit but I had some in the Kings Head in Huddersfield back

in May last year :cheers: and I think I may have seen it in the Maltings in York on one occasion

:cheers::cheers:. Nonetheless a super big hop beer.

runningdog
18-01-2010, 19:10
The only time(s) I've seen Dark Star this far south has been in Wetherspoon pubs, but I have to admit I don't remember either the beers or the occasions.On the face of it, Hophead doesn't sound exactly my sort of beer but folk keep using terms like 'very hoppy' and 'intense', so, as I love the American 'Triple-hopped' beers, it might well, indeed, be right up my street...here's to hopping...:drinkup: glug..........

Soup Dragon
18-01-2010, 19:13
Any beer i get this week will be my top choice, as the wife is away and i have the kids - except for a John Smiths shandy at a family party, needless to say, family or not, i left after one round

Kids will be eating at the White Horse tomorrow though, i am beginning to have withdrawal symptoms

aleandhearty
18-01-2010, 19:54
except for a John Smiths shandy at a family party

Good God. It must have been like drinking hemlock.Your family sound remarkably cruel. The family surname isn't Borgia by any chance, is it Soupy?

hopwas
18-01-2010, 19:59
i am beginning to have withdrawal symptoms

Tell me about it! Ever since that Burntwood so called pub crawl.. :moremad: and money running low. My next pay day will be on this monday and may hit Derby on 26th (Day after London day trip) or I have few trips planned..

trainman
18-01-2010, 20:28

I think you'll like it when you finally track some down a&h - it's not dissimilar to Oakham JHB and, at the same 3.8%, a cracking session beer, especially refreshing in warmer weather (I suppose!).

Soup Dragon
18-01-2010, 20:50
Naaaah, sadly they clearly do not celebrate the art of MILD making - the barmaid looked puzzled when i said, "much as it pains me - can i have that in a shandy to give it some flavour" - i think she thought i wanted the JS neat! the next tap was Carling, there didnt seem to be much else - shocking!

ROBCamra
19-01-2010, 10:42
No doubt I'll get jumped on by ROBCamra and 'oldboots' for saying this, but I've never seen any Dark Star beers locally either. I've just been on the Dark Star website and apparently Hophead is made with Cascade hops, so that should be right up my street.

Hmmmmm!, I'm not going to risk jumping on you a&h but.....

Plenty of Dark Star in the Dale as occasional guests, including Hophead & Coffee Porter just before Xmas.

I have to agree that Hophead is a fine beer, although the porter was great in a very different way. :cheers:

As for my beer of this week. Well as my National Winter Ales judging session is tomorrow I hope I'm going to be stuck for choice. :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup: perhaps a couple more :drinkup::drinkup:

aleandhearty
19-01-2010, 10:52
I think you'll like it when you finally track some down a&h - it's not dissimilar to Oakham JHB and, at the same 3.8%, a cracking session beer, especially refreshing in warmer weather (I suppose!).

I know our tastes in beer are pretty similar 'tm', so I'm convinced.

Hmmmmm!, I'm not going to risk jumping on you a&h but.....

You'd probably bounce off! :D I guess it's the usual thing of being in the right place at the right time.

Millay
19-01-2010, 23:21
As for my beer of this week. Well as my National Winter Ales judging session is tomorrow I hope I'm going to be stuck for choice. :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup: perhaps a couple more :drinkup::drinkup:

Now, you're just trying to make us jealous aren't you. Enjoy it though and let us know your favourites.

Eddie86
20-01-2010, 00:11
Rob - my mate the HB from Breconshire Brewery is judging tomorrow, at which point I'll be in, I think, the marbles?

Fancy meeting for a pint later in the afternoon?

Conrad
21-01-2010, 15:38
Well finished off my after-christmas supply of bottled Festivity, and it looks like I am probably not getting any drink this weekend. So I will get in a bit early and say that is going to be my beer of the week.

RogerB
21-01-2010, 15:47
I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't had a single beer this week yet, not even any of my Air Miles continental lagers (Mrs B has placed too much salad in the frdige's beer compartment and I won't touch them at room temperature!).

Soup Dragon
21-01-2010, 15:49
ever the professional Roger

OB wont touch his 78% Abbey du Pee until he finds his bottle opener:sick:

oldboots
21-01-2010, 18:11
OB wont touch his 78% Abbey du Pee until he finds his bottle opener:sick:

it's fear :eek: not lack of a bottle opener. I actually have a bottle opener in most rooms in the house just in case, can't be too careful. I have drunk the 12% Westvlerten I bought in Amsterdam :nishelypished: very nice it was too but I refuse

point blank to do tasting notes as there's nothing more tedious.

RogerB
21-01-2010, 18:30
It's no good. Mrs B has sent a text saying she's going out. I can't sit here and starve. 'Spoons Curry and copious ales are awaiting. Several beers of the week, here I come.

runningdog
21-01-2010, 21:07
I actually have a bottle opener in most rooms in the house just in case, can't be too careful.

Nah, you gotta do better'n that, bootsie, Carry one on yer keyring, mate, works every time. Follow Flogger, you know it make sense...:whistle::drinkup::drinkup:

RogerB
21-01-2010, 21:11
Well that was a lucky dip at 'Spoons - there was a Meet The Brewer night going on with a guy from Hogs Back that I knew nothing about so a few free samples were gratefully accepted. As for Beer of the Week - I now have a front runner that I don't think I will top and it ain't a Hogs Back beer!

hopwas
21-01-2010, 21:16
Well that was a lucky dip at 'Spoons - there was a Meet The Brewer night going on with a guy from Hogs Back that I knew nothing about so a few free samples were gratefully accepted. As for Beer of the Week - I now have a front runner that I don't think I will top and it ain't a Hogs Back beer!

Which 'Spoons May I ask?

RogerB
21-01-2010, 21:24
Which 'Spoons May I ask?

The Hogs Back session was at the Paper Moon, Dartford but my BOTW was at the Flying Boat.

hopwas
21-01-2010, 21:33
The Hogs Back session was at the Paper Moon, Dartford but my BOTW was at the Flying Boat.

Just had look at picture of Flying Boat, quite interesting building and bit deco like if I must admit.

Paper Moon... hmmm not sure about the building but I have seen worse!

RogerB
21-01-2010, 22:20
Just had look at picture of Flying Boat, quite interesting building and bit deco like if I must admit.

Paper Moon... hmmm not sure about the building but I have seen worse!

Both have their history - the Flying Boat was part of a factory that built the floats for Sunderland Flying Boats during the war hence the name. The now demolished rear section was once a roller skating rink and Randolph Churchill (dad of Winston) once made a famous speech there. It was a car showroom for many years before becoming a rather nasty Litten Tree. 'Spoons were going to turn it into a Lloyds bar but because of the Litten Tree history they were only given a limited licence and it opened as a normal 'Spoons in June last year after a rather grand refurbishment - money well spent if you ask me. Initially the ale choice was a bit hit and miss but they are now getting their act together. The Paper Moon was our original 'Spoons in what was formerly a Lloyds Bank. The building that you're not so sure about was built by the same person that built Guildford Cathedral. The paper element relates to Dartford's historic paper industry. Tonight they had 2 Hogs Back Ales, 2 Whitstable Ales, a White Horse ale, the unique Flying Moon Ale (only found in the 2 Dartford 'Spoons) and the usual Ruddles, Abbots etc. Works for me!

Dave M
22-01-2010, 01:13
Well I've finally managed to have a beer this week, it was a Thames Valley Ale, nice enough but may get displaced by a Doom Bar tomorrow as my BotW.

ROBCamra
22-01-2010, 12:00
Rob - my mate the HB from Breconshire Brewery is judging tomorrow, at which point I'll be in, I think, the marbles?

Fancy meeting for a pint later in the afternoon?

Sorry Eddie I've only just read this. We had an early start on the Wednesday as we had to have a full greasy spoon breakfast at the Abergeldie cafe to clear the palate before getting to the festival at 12:15.

I was the bloke in a Pike brewery Amber Ale T shirt. :)

Eddie86
22-01-2010, 12:16
Sorry Eddie I've only just read this. We had an early start on the Wednesday as we had to have a full greasy spoon breakfast at the Abergeldie cafe to clear the palate before getting to the festival at 12:15.

I was the bloke in a Pike brewery Amber Ale T shirt. :)

Lol, I was the bloke in the Breconshire Brewery polo shirt, with far too much hair and a taste for the barley wine bar. :D

trainman
22-01-2010, 12:22
and a taste for the barley wine bar. :D
Pub crawl > Winter Ale 'fest > Barley Wine bar ...
I don't think I'd've surfaced 'til February!

Eddie86
22-01-2010, 12:26
Pub crawl > Winter Ale 'fest > Barley Wine bar > Selection of 6%+ bottles on way back inc. 1845...
I don't think I'd've surfaced 'til February!

We were celebrating! Best bit - not the slightest headache the next morning - back in the pub finishing off painting the cellar :D

trainman
22-01-2010, 12:39
Best bit - not the slightest headache the next morning ...
... Grrr! You young'uns - won't always be like that you know! Mind you, one of our usual suspects never seems to suffer, whereas my hangovers are getting worse and lasting longer.
After my pal's double gallon stag day in York, I took the Ray Winston preventive BEFORE BED (per Morrissey's Perfect Pint) which is rehydration salts (dioralyte isn't for drinking dehydration, but what the heck), two ibuprofen, and water, also a resolve, sod it. I'll tell you, not too bad next day (probably just still p1ssed), though a 10-pint debrief had me really suffering for the next few days after that.
I guess that ramble belonged in a separate hangover - do you get them - what to do - thread. Is there one yet?

I'm pretty sure painting a cellar wouldn't be high on my list of cures, but good luck for the re-opening Eddie.

arwkrite
22-01-2010, 23:08
Having to attend something official like this morning in Hereford I thought I might spend my free time taking a few photos and some reviews.Rain so to speak stopped play.Visited JDW Kings Fee :notworthy:for a coffee, The Lichfield Vaults for a pint of Deuchars 80, Golden Fleece for a Half of keg Banks Bitter ( no hand pumps and pub to let) finally a pint of Marstons Imperial back at the Kings Fee:notworthy:. Feeling soggy I was fast loosing interest or lacking moral fibre. The bus time table said I could leave in a few minutes or wait and go back to Bromyard in 3 hours time on a bus overloaded with students of all ages. The nerves finally snapped and I legged it for the next bus.:(
I can remember country buses being retired coaches or comfy Midland Red purpose built single deckers.Now we have Optare (?) coaches. Hard seats and real bone shakers.The interior trim rattles something awful. I was REALLY looking forward to arriving in Bromyard after half an hour. AT LAST,off the bus straight through the bar of the Kings Arms with a shout of "Pint of Hobsons I'll be back in a sec." Oh the relief !:pray:
May be not a disaster of Hoppy's Harbourne Adventure scale but I returned back home feeling disgruntled and promising myself a a day in Worcester when the finances suffice.

trainman
23-01-2010, 08:33
promising myself a a day in Worcester when the finances suffice.
Dragon Inn & Plough sound like fine places to while away a day...

ROBCamra
23-01-2010, 14:35
Dragon Inn & Plough sound like fine places to while away a day...

They are, plus add the Swan With Two Nicks, The Saracens Head and maybe The Talbot and also try Hand In Glove you might like it. :cheers:

Personally I'd give the Cardinals Hat a miss but if you like Austrian lager bars......

arwkrite
23-01-2010, 15:57
I "know" most of these recommended pubs but with Lynne being in a wheel chair for almost 4 yrs I did not have the chance to visit. Now I haven't got my best mate I will get around to visiting these smaller places. Worcester has some great pubs and the back streets can be full of surprises.:cheers: ( must remember country buses are not easy on the bladder may have to get a colostomy bag.)

Oggwyn Trench
23-01-2010, 17:27
They are, plus add the Swan With Two Nicks, The Saracens Head and maybe The Talbot and also try Hand In Glove you might like it. :cheers:

Personally I'd give the Cardinals Hat a miss but if you like Austrian lager bars......

I hear they are doing a range of smoked beers !!!

runningdog
23-01-2010, 19:51
I hear they are doing a range of smoked beers !!!

Funny you should mention that. Okells Aile, one of JDW's winter guests. 'This is a smoked Celtic porter...'. Many a true word spoken in jest...Mine in anticipation :drinkup::drinkup:..........

runningdog
24-01-2010, 01:03
Well, I finally found a decent real ale that didn't come out of a bottle. Youngs Winter Warmer, firm favourite of mine and in damn good nick too. Considering that up til then the best I'd managed was Erdinger and Crabbies you will appreciate what a boring week it's been...:drinkup:...Bring on the Beast..........

RogerB
24-01-2010, 08:58
Close thing this week - I had thought the Arkells Kingsdown Ale I had a couple of days ago would be my BOTW but I had a couple of pints for breakfast yesterday (as you do) including a second Kingsdown and a Dorset Ammonite. Now I'm torn between the 2. Given the lack of breakfast material in the house at the moment it may be another couple of early pints this morning + my weekly Sunday evening session may yet throw something else into the equation before I get started on the Doom Bars.

Millay
24-01-2010, 09:23
I do have to admit Roger there's nothing like an early Sunday morning pint - thank heavens for JDW :notworthy::notworthy:. About to head out myself shortly to St Albans to check out a few pubs on PG that I'm not sure are still there, and maybe have a pint or two along the way.

As to my BotW, so far it has been Yorks Centurians Ghost but let's see what I find today before making a final decision.

RogerB
24-01-2010, 09:32
About to head out myself shortly to St Albans to check out a few pubs on PG that I'm not sure are still there, and maybe have a pint or two along the way.

One off the best pub crawl towns going - I am long overdue a fresh St Albans session. Enjoy. :cheers:

Millay
24-01-2010, 09:41
One off the best pub crawl towns going - I am long overdue a fresh St Albans session. Enjoy. :cheers:

If you've not been for a while you might not have encountered the new kid on the block real ale wise. The Blacksmiths Arms, an ex-Hogshead and previously one to avoid is now a thriving real ale pub. The Mermaid has gone downhill a bit in my opinion, The Boot is good and most of the others are steady. Haven't ventured down to the Lower Red Lion for a while, that walk back up the hill puts me off :eek:

If you fancy meeting up for a St Albans jaunt any time just let me know.

RogerB
24-01-2010, 10:06
If you've not been for a while you might not have encountered the new kid on the block real ale wise. The Blacksmiths Arms, an ex-Hogshead and previously one to avoid is now a thriving real ale pub. The Mermaid has gone downhill a bit in my opinion, The Boot is good and most of the others are steady. Haven't ventured down to the Lower Red Lion for a while, that walk back up the hill puts me off :eek:

If you fancy meeting up for a St Albans jaunt any time just let me know.

I never did manage to get to the Lower Red Lion - was shut when we got there. I certainly fancy doing the rounds - will check my ridiculously full calander and throw some dates into the hat in due course!

oldboots
24-01-2010, 18:37
I thought it was going to be Summer Lightning but I had a couple of excellent pints of Acorn Brewery's Barnsley Bitter in Wensleydale and that's my BOTW.

By the way I worked in St Allbrans many years ago, in the days of Ind Coope's virtual monopoly, the Lower Red Lion was a great pub in those days selling Youngs but my work mates always spent Thursday nights in the Peahen drinking keg MacMullens. I understand it's become some sort of yoof place but in those days it was full of very odd characters. I used to drink Greene King in preference to Ind Coope then, how times change:D According to my 1979 Herts beer guide I'd been in 28 out of the 34 pubs listed.

Oggwyn Trench
24-01-2010, 20:14
An old favorite for me this week , Hobsons Best in the Crown , Oakengates, which had a strangely dull range on last night , Hobsons , Deuchars(for Burns night) Theakstons Mild , Northumberland Legend No1 , no Porters or Stouts which is unusual .

Dave M
24-01-2010, 23:49
Well I visited a JDW at lunchtime today, hadn't eaten breakfast so wasn't intending to have alcohol, but then the Exmoor Beast caught my eye - I thought of RD and knew I had to give it a go. Even if I was a lightweight and only risked a half (it is 6.6% after all)!

Got to be honest the first few sips I really wasn't impressed, not generally a fan of the darker stuff anyway. But by the end I did quite enjoy it, proper winter warmer on a fairly cold day was most appreciated.

However I think I'll nominate the Thames Valley Ale as BOTW.

ROBCamra
25-01-2010, 11:02
Mine for the week has to be Elland 1872 Porter.

I've always loved the stuff and as it won the Champion Winter Beer of Britain I thought that the least I could do was award it my BOTW. :notworthy:

I didn't actually have any at the festival but as I had two pints in the Regal Moon in Rochdale earlier in the week, that still counts (Chris the landlord was one of the judges in the Stout section)

aleandhearty
25-01-2010, 14:30
A very dry week for me. Just four pints in all. The winner by a country mile was Whim 'Hartington IPA'. A pale, well-rounded beer that slid down very nicely.

RogerB
25-01-2010, 15:16
A pretty good end to the week with some seriously hard decision making. Arkells Westdown Special was a good front runner but just pipped by Dorset Ammonite. I was a bit horrified to see all 3 guest beers in our starting pub last night were stouts/porters (not my preferred choices) but all 3 were excellent (Rudgate Winter Stout, Westerham Puddledock Porter and O'Hanlons Port Stout). I think I will however opt for the Whistable Kentish Reserve in Dartford's Paper Moon as my BOTW although it really was a hard choice.

Millay
25-01-2010, 21:16
As to my BotW, so far it has been Yorks Centurians Ghost but let's see what I find today before making a final decision.
Well I did find a few but I'm sticking with the Ghost