PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 21 August 2011)

ROBCamra
05-08-2011, 14:22
ROBCamra: Outstanding Brewery Ramsbottom Festival Ale
Spinko: Ossett Yorkshire Blonde
Thuck Phat: San Miguel
Oggwyn Trench: Empire Keel Haul
oldboots: Oakham Inferno
gillhalfpint: Kent Chilli Pale
Alesonly: Woodforde's Nog
rpadam: Gadds Seasider
aleandhearty: Fernandes Traditional Mild
Bucking Fastard: Dark Star American Pale Ale
Al 10000: Timothy Taylors Best Bitter
Quinno: Dark Star Hophead
RogerB: Williams Brothers Fraoch Heather Ale

Spinko
21-08-2011, 10:23
Had some very good ales this week, including Marble Ginger at Marble Arch in Manchester and 5AM Saint at Port St Beer House. However this week I was blown away by the Ossett - Yorkshire Blonde on in Aire Bar Leeds. I've had a ropey one in here before, but this time it was bang on form and washed down nicely with the Liverpool win I had a ton on :D

Thuck Phat
21-08-2011, 11:08
With no choice but to follow Rob as nothing else has been sampled my BOTW is San Miguel.

ROBCamra
21-08-2011, 12:29
Once again a retrospective change. I found a bar selling Bock Damm & Voll Damm in Mao which was excellent for a change.

But I managed to sneak a few cheeky pints in The Baum last night after we got back.

So BOTW is going to be Outstanding Brewery Ramsbottom Festival Ale. One brewed for the punters I think rather than the usual slightly weird and over strength beer Dave usually brews.

Oggwyn Trench
21-08-2011, 13:49
OK day yesterday , Shrewsburys 2 - 0 win over Crewe making up for the London Pride in Plastic glasses in the Brooklands Hotel pre match and the Wood Shropshire Lad in plastic again at the ground , roll on the Darwin being refurbished and the promise of 6 real ales and proper glasses for pre match drinks .

Fullers - London Pride
Wood - Shropshire Lad
Empire - Keel Haul
Nottingham - Bell Inn Bitter
Elland - Big Dog IPA
Bank Top - Blonde

BOTW Empire - Keel Haul

oldboots
21-08-2011, 17:52
Oakham Inferno

gillhalfpint
21-08-2011, 19:04
With over 40 beers between us over the last 3 days at the excellent Egahm USC beer festival, it is difficult to choose a single BOTW. So I am going to go for one that really tickled my tastebuds, and BOTW is Kent Chilli Pale.4%.

Alesonly
21-08-2011, 19:49
Im Still Trying too make up my mind Ive had Three Pints of Everard's Tiger & Three Pints of Bishops finger so far this evening in my local so I will Have too make up my mind for the next Pint. Its Woodforde's Nog For beer of the week Excellent Pint. Woodforde's Nog

rpadam
21-08-2011, 21:10
A nice pint of Gadds Seasider from the Ramsgate Brewery in the Ship, Deal gets my BOTW this week.

aleandhearty
22-08-2011, 09:21
Another quiet week for me. Tried this week:

Banks & Taylor - Dark Mild.
Fernandes - Ammonite.
Fernandes - Wakefield Wheat Beer.
Fernandes - Traditional Mild.
Rudgate - WB.
Gales - HSB.

The easy winner was the Fernandes Mild.

Bucking Fastard
22-08-2011, 09:27
Popped into The Harp for a quick one and very pleased to see that the award of CAMRA Pub of the Year has not had any negative consequences:pray: ,my pint of Dark Star American Pale Ale was a worthy BOTW.The American hops and yeast produce deep flavours which I could still taste by the time I got to Tottenham Hale:).IMHO one of the best strong Pale Ales around ,and kept in tip top condition.

Al 10000
23-08-2011, 15:35
My beer of the week is Timothy Taylors Best bitter tried in the Wolley Sheep in Skipton.
This beer went down very well on a warm Saturday dinner after looking round the market.

Quinno
23-08-2011, 20:02
Dark Star Hophead the Harp in London.

RogerB
26-08-2011, 11:32
Countless gems sampled during my week north of the border. The ones that stood out for me were Williams Brothers Fraoch Heather Ale (Bon Accord - Glasgow), Kelburn Misty Law (Three Judges & Babbity Bowster - both Glasgow), Fyne Avalanche (Bow Bar - Edinburgh), Inveralmond Ghillie Ale (Sandy Bells - Edinburgh), Inveralmond Independence (Settle Inn - Stirling), Herok & Howell Festival Ale (No 2 Baker Street - Stirling) and Orkney Red MacGregor (Portcullis - Stirling). Decisions, decisions. I'll opt for the Williams Brothers Fraoch Heather Ale which truly did have a refreshing whiff of the Highlands about it!

Pubsignman
29-08-2011, 02:35
Spent this week in and around Verona and Venice. I'd hoped to find a few places selling Italian microbrewry beers, but struggled to avoid the ubiquitous Peroni/Birra Moretti. I did however, chance upon a decent blonde beer from Treviso's Birrificio Trevigiano and an excellent, German-style Bock beer from the Forst brewery of Merano.

Although the blonde beer went down very well in the sweltering heat (75cl bottles helped too!) my BOTW is going to be the wonderfully malty Forst Sixtus.