PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 14 August 2011)

ROBCamra
05-08-2011, 13:21
ROBCamra: Illa
Spinko: Abbeydale Deception
Oggwyn Trench: Thwaites Triple C

Spinko
13-08-2011, 14:54
Abbeydale - Deception. Enjoyed in the Devonsire Cat in Sheffield.

Oggwyn Trench
13-08-2011, 19:31
I have had a quiet week due to my son generously giving me a virus , made it to the pub last night only to find it boarded up , not to worry as every other pub and shop in town was the same all in preperation for todays EDL march down the road in Wellington(4 miles away) . Strange drinking in a boarded up pub :rolleyes:

Star - Floral Dance
Thwaites - Triple C
Mallinsons - Now 20
Acorn - Citra IPA
Skinners - Spriggan Ale

BOTW Thwaites - Triple C

Alesonly
14-08-2011, 09:16
Below is a list of the best ales Ive had this week hard too say what was best. I had more loads more but these were the best For Beer of the week I would say the Titanic Iceberg. Titanic Iceberg

Marstons Long Hop
Titanic Iceberg
Brains SA
Cotleigh Golden Sea Hawk
Grainstore Gold

gillhalfpint
14-08-2011, 09:54
This week we have had a crawl round 5 pubs in Sheffield, attended Worcester beer festival and a couple of Birmingham pubs.

Plenty of variety, lots of breweries new to us. Magic Rock Curious in the Sheffield Tap and Owenshaw Golden Bridge in the Gardeners Rest, and at Worcester enjoyed St Georges Charger, Rudgate Mount Hood and Cairngorm Brochan. Birmingham pubs I think had the winner with Kirkstall Pale Ale.

Yes, BOTW going to Kirkstall Pale Ale.

Quinno
14-08-2011, 18:49
Yesterday's crawl round Eastbourne produced my BotW - Harveys Lewes Castle Brown ale at The Kings Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10836/), Hailsham

Roosters Yankee at The Dewdrop Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10692/) ran it close.

rpadam
14-08-2011, 20:50
Easy one this week (there being rather limited competition) - the local Arundel Trident at the otherwise rather dull The Hatter's Inn (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57014/) in Bognor Regis...

oldboots
15-08-2011, 07:56
An easy choice for me again; Oakham Citra

other beers drunk this weekend were:
Black Sheep bitter,
Landlord,
Rudgate Mount Hood,
Daleside Old Leg Over,
Holdens Mild,
Ridgehouse Moorland Bitter
and the mighty Jaipur.

Sadly of this lot only the Mild and the Black Sheep were in good condition the rest were past their best.

Bucking Fastard
15-08-2011, 09:42
After a tricky week good to get back in the groove in The George,Croydon which was spared by the looters and supplied my BOTW in Dark Star Seville,with a taste of bitter Spanish oranges.Maybe not a session ale but very interesting ,and washed down next with a pint of Hophead before sloping off to Selhurst for a welcome three points.

Brewguru
15-08-2011, 13:56
A trip to West Sussex gave me a chance to drink something other than Doom Bar and Otter, although Otter was on in one of the pubs.

Top 3 were:

Surrey Hills Ranmore
Dark Star Hylder Blonde
Arundel Sussex Gold

But my BOTW goes to Arundel Sussex Gold a good hoppy and full bodied Golden bitter.

aleandhearty
15-08-2011, 14:06
Due to the horse trading that is part and parcel of family holidays, the second week of our Cornwall hols was even quieter than the first on the cask beer front. (However, lots of local bottles, of which Skinner's St Piran's and Keltek King were my favourites.) Felt really good then to go on my preferred Wakey mini-crawl yesterday and have normal sevice resumed! Tried this week:

Bays - Devon Dumpling
Bays - Topsail.
St Austell - Proper Job.
Dartmoor - Friggins.
Zero Degrees - Pale Ale.
Elland - Savannah.
Dr Morton's - Goat Flush.
Fullers - London Porter.
Milestones - Fletchers Ale.
Derby Brewing Co - 30 Drop Hop.
Glentworth - Lightyear.
Ministry of Beer - False £conomy.*
Raw - Anubis Porter.
Fernandes -Traditional Mild.
Fernandes - Scorcher.
Rudgate - WB.
Oakham - Black Hole Porter.
Kelham Island - Easy Rider.

With honorable mentions for the Lightyear and False £conomy, BOTW goes to the Anubis Porter which proved the perfect antidote to pale beer overload.

*I suspect Ministry of Beer is a very new brewery. (Love the name.) The barman in the Bull & Fairhouse had no idea where they were from and there's very little to be had on googling, apart from a site under construction. Looks like one to watch.

Al 10000
15-08-2011, 16:33
My beer of the week is Wye Valley HPA which i had in the Fox Inn in Monkwood Green,this was a really nice country pub that had,nt been spoiled,and it was still a drinkers pub.

RogerB
15-08-2011, 19:25
A dismal week of drinking. With the England game called off I had a whole week of doing nothing and even a short notice football trip to Weston Super Mare yielded nothing. A wander round Bexleyheath last night produced just 1 hitherto untied beer, Harveys Lewes Castle Brown Ale at the Robin Hood & Little John. That's about as good as anything got. I'm sure my Scottish trek this week will throw up a better selection.

Wittenden
15-08-2011, 21:34
Kentish Ale Tent at Sissinghurst Smallholding Fair. Several interesting beers:
Tonbridge Brewery-Ebony Moon (4.1 abv), a jet black bitterish porter:not in the same league as Riggwelter or Old Peculier,but pretty damn good.
Royal Tunbridge Wells Brewery-Sovereign Blonde(3.8abv) a tastey summery session beer.
Abigale Brewery-Samphire (4.1abv)-seaweedy seesion beer.It grew on me.
Old Dairy-Blue Top IPA (4.8abv) an excellent pint of this prize winning discretely citrussy IPA.
Very close between the Blue Top and Ebony Moon, but my BOTW is Old Dairy Blue Top.

Thuck Phat
21-08-2011, 10:06
A very welcome brace of BOTW Dark Star American Pale Ale in The George in Croydon pre a friend's wedding celebrations. At 4.7% yet easily drinkable and refreshing this was the perfect drink to prepare.

ROBCamra
21-08-2011, 11:23
I'm going to retrospectively change my BOTW as I actually found a couple of places selling Illa (pronounced eeyah) the Menorcan micro brewed wheat beer with natural sediment.

Only available in bottle it doesn't half make a change from Estrella.

aleandhearty
25-08-2011, 18:32
*I suspect Ministry of Beer is a very new brewery. (Love the name.) The barman in the Bull & Fairhouse had no idea where they were from and there's very little to be had on googling, apart from a site under construction. Looks like one to watch.

A little more research has revealed that Ministry of Beer is an off-shoot of the Spitting Feathers brewery, based in Chester. More info here:

http://spittingfeath.users55.donhost.co.uk/ministry-of-beers.htm

Pubsignman
29-08-2011, 01:16
Sorry to bump a load of old threads, but I'm just back from my summer hols and I've got a bit of catching up to do.

This week was my last chance to get some decent beers in before heading to foreign climes, but the riots in Croydon saw pubs in town close early, thereby reducing my options. I did manage a brief session in my old local down in Dorset though, the highlight of which was the Isle of Purbeck Studland Bay Wrecked.